Forum › Tiger & Hummingbird discussion

Anime%20girl%20bong%20small
joined Jan 1, 2022

I like the main characters' dynamic, but the tiger girl is definitely right about expensive clothing. It may be more comfortable or more durable, but the thing that actually makes it that expensive is conspicuous consumption and clout chasing..

Sans%20titre-1
joined Dec 19, 2020

This TL team really leave no details aside, I realized all the onomatopoeias are translated especially that Growl one on p.25, I can't figure how they did erase the original kanas so cleanly for this one

(yeah that's a detail but had to be mentioned)

Sans%20titre-1
joined Dec 19, 2020

I like the main characters' dynamic, but the tiger girl is definitely right about expensive clothing. It may be more comfortable or more durable, but the thing that actually makes it that expensive is conspicuous consumption and clout chasing..

Yeah I agree, hope the story won't overlook all these points just to make Tiger realize how she was wrong about how deep is fashion blah blah blah and get her closer to the other mc

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Even outside Japan, gyaru character would be a bit scary to work with, tbh. Considering how worked up she gets. In Japan it's really a fantasy. Her first job was actually way more believable, and I've seen places, nice places, where if you had to open a door with your foot, because the people running it didn't make the door accessible, or you were having to carry too many plates, would be just fine. It depends on how busy your, e.g., ramenya is.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

So, was the translation for this dropped or did chapter 3 just not come out yet?

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I really like the MC, she's so crude/blunt that it's hilarious. There are many other delinquents in manga but she has grown onto me pretty quickly.

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

Update! And two chapters at once. Many thanks to the scanlators

Ve_honoka
joined Sep 8, 2018

YES! I've been waitung for this to be continued, thank you very much!

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

This is alright, although I'm wondering if this is even going to be subtext, so far the only hint that it might be is the author :P

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/tiger_hummingbird_ch03#9
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/tiger_hummingbird_ch03#10
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/tiger_hummingbird_ch03#11
This whole policy angered me so much that I just had to come and comment on it, without even having finished the chapter yet.

Okay, finished the two chapters, they were fun.

Now, going back to this policy: I find it appalling that they're demanding the employees buy the store's clothes—and from what I'm getting they'd have to get new clothes all the time, in order to keep up with what the store offers. This is a waste of money as well as a waste of clothing. Unless the salaries are so generous that the store's ultra-expensive stuff is actually affordable, it's a horrible and unfair policy, even if I can understand the reasoning behind it.

last edited at Nov 21, 2022 10:43AM

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

So they have to purchase those super-expensive clothes to wear for their work? Uhm.. how about NO? How about you provide those clothes to your employees if you want them to wear them? Better still, how about you give your employees generic store-clerk clothes that don't distract from the clothes you're selling?

last edited at Nov 21, 2022 12:23PM

joined Aug 10, 2018

Now, going back to this policy: I find it appalling that they're demanding the employees buy the store's clothes—and from what I'm getting they'd have to get new clothes all the time, in order to keep up with what the store offers. This is a waste of money as well as a waste of clothing. Unless the salaries are so generous that the store's ultra-expensive stuff is actually affordable, it's a horrible and unfair policy, even if I can understand the reasoning behind it.

"I'm gonna pay you, but a part of your salary MUST be spent in my stores."

Wasn't this a practice used (and unfortunately still used in parts of the world) last century by scummy employers to make sure their workers' wealth would get back to them ? There is a reason why company stores are so reviled in 19/20th century worker's culture.

last edited at Nov 21, 2022 12:24PM

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

yeah no like if you're going to force your employees to wear the store's clothes while on shift just give them the clothes to use like? It's incredibly exploitative to make them pay for it even at a 40% discount.

Mami_freakout_notext_small
joined Mar 18, 2016

Not to mention the fact that the boss didn't even bother to mention it before hiring her.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

yeah no like if you're going to force your employees to wear the store's clothes while on shift just give them the clothes to use like? It's incredibly exploitative to make them pay for it even at a 40% discount.

Yeah, the discount is so pretentious that it's almost embarrassing. If anything, I guess I could see it as somewhat acceptable if they were required to buy them at production cost (though @motormind is right in saying that the clothes should be provided to the employees if their own are considered unsuitable). I can't believe how this was basically brushed off with the entrance of the other characters. It was so horribly exploitative that I now can barely remember what happened in the following one and a half chapters, because this is stuck in my mind.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one bothered by this, this was not something to be simply brushed off like that, and you all make valid points.

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Yeah, the discount is so pretentious that it's almost embarrassing. If anything, I guess I could see it as somewhat acceptable if they were required to buy them at production cost (though @motormind is right in saying that the clothes should be provided to the employees if their own are considered unsuitable). I can't believe how this was basically brushed off with the entrance of the other characters. It was so horribly exploitative that I now can barely remember what happened in the following one and a half chapters, because this is stuck in my mind.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one bothered by this, this was not something to be simply brushed off like that, and you all make valid points.

Makes me wonder how it works at actual fashion boutique type places where the clothes cost $500 a piece. Aspiring designers who have to already be relatively affluent to accept a part-time, low wage gig while living in a major metropolitan city? Kinda like entry level publishing or tech gigs? I wonder if this is how it's done at Studious Tokyo and if it's standard practice for boutiques in general.

That being said, having to buy your own uniform, tools, gear, etc. is still a pretty common practice at smaller workplaces. Exploitative? Definitely. Welcome to capitalism, awwwww yeah! Enjoy your stay

Interesting sales goals, though. They need to sell, what, like 5-7 pieces of clothing a day to stay afloat? I know some hat shops in town that are like that.

last edited at Nov 21, 2022 9:21PM

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

That being said, having to buy your own uniform, tools, gear, etc. is still a pretty common practice at smaller workplaces. Exploitative? Definitely. Welcome to capitalism, awwwww yeah! Enjoy your stay

That may be true, but it's important to note that in places where you're required to buy a uniform, normally you'd be able to keep it for a long time. Here, they're suggesting that the employees constantly change their wardrobes according to what the store has available at the time. And, as @Minran mentioned, they ensure that they will make profit out of it each time.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Aaaaaa. I'd completely forgotten about this one. Thanks for the continuation!

Makes me wonder how it works at actual fashion boutique type places where the clothes cost $500 a piece. Aspiring designers who have to already be relatively affluent to accept a part-time, low wage gig while living in a major metropolitan city? Kinda like entry level publishing or tech gigs? I wonder if this is how it's done at Studious Tokyo and if it's standard practice for boutiques in general.

Even high-end stores must deal with things like customer returns, slight seconds and overstock, perfectly usable stuff that otherwise ends up in a landfill in Nigeria or something.

last edited at Nov 22, 2022 11:37AM

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

Given that I generally put comfort over appearance, I am essentially skimming this series, since "pay for the brand" fashion is not a topic I will ever find interesting.

joined Oct 10, 2016

They all deserve each other. in a bad way. Blergh. Not picking this up.

last edited at Nov 22, 2022 6:51PM

joined Nov 21, 2022

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/tiger_hummingbird_ch03#9
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/tiger_hummingbird_ch03#10
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/tiger_hummingbird_ch03#11
This whole policy angered me so much that I just had to come and comment on it, without even having finished the chapter yet.

Okay, finished the two chapters, they were fun.

This is actually the policy of Lululemon.

joined Nov 30, 2011

Pretty sure the store is named, "On Me" and not "Omne".

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Given the worker exploitation discussion here and the fact that the Communism tag exists, maybe we need a corresponding Capitalism tag. Or Late Capitalism. Or Eat the Rich.

joined Oct 2, 2021

Das Kapital

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

This is actually the policy of Lululemon.

Yeah, this is actually surprising for me to see with people not knowing this.

This is like overall common and like expected at all high end fashion boutique stores. You gotta wear the clothes and get them yourself. BR. Gap. Desigual. FXXI. They ALL have this policy. This is the life of retail

last edited at Nov 24, 2022 9:51PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.