Forum › Throw Away the Suit Together discussion

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

Well, if it's any consolation, what looks shitty at first glance can often be a blessing in disguise. (See the story of the Taoist farmer.) Wasn't the issue here Hii-chan going back to Tokyo, while Haru is stuck in a place she can't afford? Maybe it's a sign that Haru should go back to Tokyo too. Sure, it'd be a bit of a 360 after all they've been through, but they'd go back to their original lives a little older and wiser.

Eugh, that’d be a terrible way to end things. Forgive my dramatic flair, but the whole point of them leaving Tokyo is because they felt suffocated by the lives they were living. While it makes sense that they'd have to struggle and make compromises to adapt to the rigors of adult life whilst trying to go against the grain, them going back to Tokyo would represent a total loss. An admission that they can’t carve their own path to being happy, and that the only way forward is to convince themselves that they’re happy as they consign themselves to the machinery of society. At that point, what’s next? Do they need to break up, find husbands, and have kid, all while telling themselves that they’re happy and wiser for their past experiences, because that’s what they’re expected to do as part of “growing up?” Not that I’m saying that’s what would happen, but you get my point. They have to draw a line somewhere, even if it’s hard.

No, I’d rather they continue to struggle against this pressure being piled on them so that they can eventually come out in a place where they can be happy without taking the path of least resistance. Maybe it won’t be exactly what they want. Maybe it will require them to suffer for a while longer, but fighting for it will make that eventual equilibrium all the sweeter.

Hot damn, haven’t written something that dramatic since high school

last edited at May 1, 2023 5:21AM

Koolplayer12
4f458f0ca382c3704f458f0ca382c370robocopfp1
joined Apr 11, 2022

I am going to sad :(

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

That was quite the blow...

joined Aug 1, 2022

I'm crying for them! Sometimes an interview candidate will do nothing wrong, sometimes a better or perfect candidate just shows up, possibly just with more or better experience. So it's not her fault!

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

Well, if it's any consolation, what looks shitty at first glance can often be a blessing in disguise. (See the story of the Taoist farmer.) Wasn't the issue here Hii-chan going back to Tokyo, while Haru is stuck in a place she can't afford? Maybe it's a sign that Haru should go back to Tokyo too. Sure, it'd be a bit of a 360 after all they've been through, but they'd go back to their original lives a little older and wiser.

Eugh, that’d be a terrible way to end things. Forgive my dramatic flair, but the whole point of them leaving Tokyo is because they felt suffocated by the lives they were living. While it makes sense that they'd have to struggle and make compromises to adapt to the rigors of adult life whilst trying to go against the grain, them going back to Tokyo would represent a total loss. An admission that they can’t carve their own path to being happy, and that the only way forward is to convince themselves that they’re happy as they consign themselves to the machinery of society. At that point, what’s next? Do they need to break up, find husbands, and have kid, all while telling themselves that they’re happy and wiser for their past experiences, because that’s what they’re expected to do as part of “growing up?” Not that I’m saying that’s what would happen, but you get my point. They have to draw a line somewhere, even if it’s hard.

No, I’d rather they continue to struggle against this pressure being piled on them so that they can eventually come out in a place where they can be happy without taking the path of least resistance. Maybe it won’t be exactly what they want. Maybe it will require them to suffer for a while longer, but fighting for it will make that eventual equilibrium all the sweeter.

You know it's a good story when we're rooting for them like they're real people!

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

I'm crying for them! Sometimes an interview candidate will do nothing wrong, sometimes a better or perfect candidate just shows up, possibly just with more or better experience. So it's not her fault!

It can be as simple as being a young woman in some cases. Seen as a less likely long-term prospect than a guy.

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

I mostly agree with this but there are ways to view returning to Tokyo as not a total failure. I don't really think that learning more about life, and growing as people through struggle then returning to Tokyo with new habits and a new perspective on life--I don't know that I'd view that as total failure. It would just be how life can be sometimes. If they were to go back and fall into the same patterns as before than yes, that would be a regression but simply living in a city is not the end of the world. I also see no universe where they break up, although the pressures they're going through can do that. There's certainly nothing to suggest they'd suddenly marry a man and have kids.

Having said that, I would much rather they figure it out on the island. The title just leaves me open to the idea that they might eventually go back to Tokyo after the summer.

last edited at May 1, 2023 7:29AM

Tamo%20eat%20rice%2023
joined Oct 16, 2021

Oof, this series has really become a study in how capitalism& the school>uni>career paradigm hurts and breaks down people who don't fit into it. Depressing and relatable.

TheAlmightyUltimus
Hyper%20kabuto
joined Oct 30, 2018

God damn... the universe really seems to have it out for these two

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Delicious drama that is also quite reasonable.

I love this story so much. The author doesn't sugarcoat anything.

It would have been very easy to write a fairytale about two girls who spurn the inhuman life of corporate employees and run from the city to find happiness in the boondocks. It would have been easy and it would have been terribly fake, too. This mangaka doesn't pull any punches. I absolutely love how committed to realism she is.

Oof, this series has really become a study in how capitalism & the school>uni>career paradigm hurts and breaks down people who don't fit into it. Depressing and relatable.

Quite the accomplishment, right? There are so many yuri mangas out there with a lead character who has a job at some company and whose life is a daily hell (overwork. office bullying, not enough sleep, excessive drinking, etc. etc.) but then — wait for it — she finds love and all's right with the world!! Sigh. It's refreshing to read for once a story that shows modern life as it really is and makes a point of not hiding the dark side of anything.

last edited at May 1, 2023 5:51PM

joined Jul 4, 2018

this story feels 'real'. relatable should be the word

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I love this story, but I gotta say I find the bit about the apartment weird. I expect island or rural life to have its challenges--no bleedin' jobs, for instance. But most of these places are losing people, and space is less of an issue. Finding themselves scrambling to find a cramped crappy apartment for high rent and missing out better places to people who got there first, Tokyo-style, seems unlikely. Feels more like tactical drama than their plausible lives.

Mind you, the way the job applications are fairly plentiful and formal makes me think this is maybe a bigger population centre than I imagined when they got there.

last edited at May 1, 2023 8:03PM

deltahalo241
Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

I love this story, but I gotta say I find the bit about the apartment weird. I expect island or rural life to have its challenges--no bleedin' jobs, for instance. But most of these places are losing people, and space is less of an issue. Finding themselves scrambling to find a cramped crappy apartment for high rent and missing out better places to people who got there first, Tokyo-style, seems unlikely. Feels more like tactical drama than their plausible lives.

Mind you, the way the job applications are fairly plentiful and formal makes me think this is maybe a bigger population centre than I imagined when they got there.

Might be because it's a seaside town, that it's a more popular destination for people, retirees, short term renters and the like.

Homumug
joined Jan 13, 2015

Lover's suicide ending, lets goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Fjavttcwyaqbvef
joined Feb 3, 2023

The mangaka is really hammering down that them both droping out of college was a terrible move lol its like these chapters are warnings telling us "wanting to change your life is great but please at least graduate so you can get better job opportunities, don't be foolish"

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Might be because it's a seaside town, that it's a more popular destination for people, retirees, short term renters and the like.

That could be.

joined Dec 21, 2016

This is so painful, what a great manga.

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

this is so depressing

Golden Brown
Kohaku%20avatar%20500px
joined Jul 10, 2016

That's rough, buddy.

Oof, this series has really become a study in how capitalism& the school>uni>career paradigm hurts and breaks down people who don't fit into it. Depressing and relatable.

Haha, not really.

The mangaka is really hammering down that them both droping out of college was a terrible move lol its like these chapters are warnings telling us "wanting to change your life is great but please at least graduate so you can get better job opportunities, don't be foolish"

That's more the case.

last edited at May 3, 2023 2:04AM

Noodlerama001
joined Feb 24, 2023

I gotta admit the excessive awful luck and suffering these two are going through is really depressing and I think a little over the top. How much do these two need to suffer before the writer feels like tossing them a bone? A awful apart (and that tease of “oh man if you were just a little bit faster you could’ve gotten a better one) and rejected from ANOTHER job AGAIN. Like be fr lol.

I do like that it’s at least different from the usual low stakes high school romance and that these are two young adults trying to find their place in the word, I just want something to go right for these poor souls

I’m not asking for everything I to turn around and become all sunshine and rainbows but just ONE W would be nice?

last edited at May 4, 2023 4:18PM

StudentOfEtherium
Djp09ca4_400x400
joined Dec 16, 2017

ouch. i hope they can have some kind of happy ending together, but...

joined Jun 27, 2022

Tbh dont feel too bad for them, they are still young and have time to figure things out. Also it's really stupid to bet everything on that one job interview. Shit like this can always happen and it's not the end of the world.

Just saying dont feel too angsty, they have each other and family who still cares about them, thats more than a lot of people can say.

A diploma can help you get by in life but it's not a must have to find happiness and stability. I didn't finish my studies at university and struggled to find a job where I could keep a healthy mind. Eventually after a lot of different jobs and setbacks I found a place where I proved myself and made it pretty far and still climbing the latter, no one cares about my lack of studies anymore.

I know you should never compare yourself with others, everyone is different and deals with shit in their own way. Just because one could do it even with all the bullshit doesn't mean you can expect someone else to do it too.

As long as they don't give up and keep talking to each other they will be fine. I really like this story since you dont have that many Yuri mangas that are a little more down to earth.

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

I definitely feel that it's a more realistic way to look at things. Life is hard and choices have consequences. They were able to make it this far because they also had a small support system but now that they want more things in life to better themselves, they have to go back and at least complete their education. It truly is tough out there and unfair. This is why no matter how suffocating some things are, if you give up something that can be completed by sucking it up, you will have better chances at job opportunities that can support your wants with who you choose to be with.

And while it looks like they're returning to 0 just because they decided to come back to the city, it's more like this was a journey of learning and figuring things out. They understand they want to be together but want to make enough money to support and live with each other happily. So with a new mindset and perspective, they can use that to fuel their determination to go back to the city. I really like this story and how it shows that real life can really just keep beating you down over and over again. But humans can get back up and find a way despite that

And They Were Roommates
E3fwhq4xeagjxjd
joined Apr 17, 2023

Capitalism: The Comic
girl this so sad lol,
the whole point of the comic is them leaving their stressful lives in the city to go live in paradise, if they go back to the city with their tails between their legs it defeats the whole purpose of the comic.
Like others have said it's good they have family they can rely on though not many people have that, especially queer people.
I think they will stick it out though I'm hopeful
I can definitely see this comic turning into like Yokohama Kaidashi Kiko or some other iyashikei story like that, where they spend the rest of their lives there happy and peaceful.

277518907_284798580472730_8969942845314652470_n
joined Sep 19, 2021

I hate this manga but can't stop myself now that I've started. Too much stress for my poor girls. I didn't prepare and I'm not here for this gosh but now what can I even do other than wait for them to find a happy life together if there's such thing at all.

To reply you must either login or sign up.