Forum › Posts by Jeanne Mathison

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Writing stories about awful people is not bad, and neither is liking such stories (I certainly do). But there should be nothing inherently unrealistic about a story with kind and happy people as opposed to one about mean and unhappy people.

Except that, as another poster said before, cgdct is not the same as realistic happy romance.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

I don't think her case is aggravated enough so she should take medications.

Feeling like dying is where I draw the line.

As someone with a lot of experience working with anxiety patients, I can tell you this: not all of them need medication. It's important to determine whether the source of the anxiety is inside or outside. A lot of patients feel anxious and stressed because life is hard, bad things happened to them and they're under big pressure. This type of patients usually don't need medication. They need a vacay. They need to relax, meet people and have fun.

Other patients have good lives, many friends, a steady love partner, no health or money problems at all, and yet they can't enjoy anything. They should be happy, but they are wrecked with anxiety and stress all day long. This is the bad anxiety, the one that comes from inside, from the brain, from an anxiety disorder. This is where anxiolytics are needed.

From what I've seen of Hime-chan, her stress comes entirely from the inside. And if it's bad enough to make her feel like dying... yeah. A spot of medication might be in order.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

What a perfect example of Plato's dialectical method. Make the interlocutor circle through reasoned argumentation all the way back to the truth you had stated in the beginning. Kudos to you! d^.^b

Aw shucks, you're making me blush.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Society's people see her as a 14 year old kid, which she is.

Like all those guys who refused to hire her after they saw 21 on her cv? lol

Also, I'd note that she's not in immediate physical danger because Koto is willing to take her in. But she's one bad fight (or two, if Erika could step up) away from being homeless. She has no money, she has difficulty getting a job because she "dropped out" of middle school.

Enter Kumagaya to the rescue.
Which is, I believe, why so many have been saying she's good for Aya.

Yup. Leaving aside the psychological side of things (she treats Aya as an equal) she can help Aya get a job and maybe also a place to stay if things go fubar with Koto.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

So... Ange is the villain? Mayhaps the one who murdered Aizawa?
Wow, I would never had guessed.

Aizawa-san has been nominated for 2024's Manga You'd Like To See Animated Ranking.
You only need to check the series (42 for Aizawa), fill in your name, email address, check the little box, then submit your vote.

Oh, I'm totes voting for it. The other yuri series all have good points, but they don't hold a candle to Aizawa-san.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

I think the whole rumpus stems from a small number of people (three or four by my count) who didn't understand the premise of the story at all. What we have here is a variant of the typical regressor/transmigrator/reincarnator plotline. Aya time-travelled to the future and now has to adapt herself to her new setting: she lost her house, there are no relatives around, she's been officially declared a 21-year-old adult citizen by the authorities, and she has the choice between bucking up and taking on the challenge or keep mooching from her friends. Whining and bitching about it won't lead anywhere. You think Aya is a victim of injustice? Well so do I, but nothing can be done about it. State and society don't believe in time travel, it's all chuunibyou crap to them. Aya is like some isekai'ed kid who must pick a sword and kill man-eating monsters in order to survive: she too must to dig deep and find the mettle to rise up to the challenge. And let's be honest: her problems, as another poster said before, don't seem so woeful when you think that she could be in another world surrounded by orcs who want to rape her or eat her or both.

joined May 24, 2019

Somehow I'm reminded of all those short films by Yang Yimo and Yang Fuyu.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Your childhood friend is a cute babyfaced blonde with huge boobs and a dynamite body? And she was waiting for you on her bed, wearing only lingerie?

Forget the dumb videogame and jump her already.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

So, is there any adult beside Koto, Erika and their gang that know about Aya's condition? Local police or child service for example? Or they keep silent about it?

Child service? She's officially 21. There are records of her. She exists.

Who would believe "I traveled magically through time"?

As far the authorities are concerned, she's an adult and can handle herself.

Yeap. That police officer they talked to was only concerned about her "missing person" status. It was like:

PO: "Okay so her name is Ushio Aya, she went missing at 14, now she's back and she's 21. She's an adult and she's not missing anymore. She claims she wasn't abducted or anything, so there's no criminal case. I'm closing the missing person file. That's it, thank you, good bye."
Aya: "But... what should I do now?!?"
PO: "Get a job, bum."

joined May 24, 2019

You know, in Asian media, when a girl asks you to "take responsibility" for whatever you did to her, the proper answer is to immediately promise to marry her. Just saying. :P

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

I think this is the funniest page I've seen in a yuri manga in a long time.

Ema is purposefully hitting her friend with one death flag after another. The interrupted "confession" in the last panel had me lol'ing fr.

It's called refreshing realism.

It's an all-pervading cliché in manga that when someone tells a girl something that resembles a love confession she must obligatorily blush and feel flustered and go doki-doki. Always. Even if it's glaringly obvious that it's a joke or a misleading mistake.

Thumbs up for this author who had Sanae reply with a resounding FUCK YOU to the idiot who was mockingly confessing to her just for the sake of a witty.

last edited at Jan 5, 2024 12:54PM

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Ouch. This is not a conversation you want to have with your rival in love who won and got the girl you wanted!

joined May 24, 2019

There's this thing with Japanese manga: comics for boys are mostly created by male authors, comics for girls by female authors. Usually, when you read the notes and comments where the authors talk to their readers, it becomes evident that they expect the readers to be of a certain gender. Look at the yuri manga in this website: a large majority are authored by ladies, and when they talk to their readers they call them "cute" and discuss with them female fashion and makeup and what to do if you fall in love with another girl. Sometimes they give them tips about how to find clubs or brothels that cater to lesbians!

The easiest way to find which is the intended readership for a work of manga is to find what the mangaka has to say about that. They almost always have a very definite idea on the subject. Sometimes they add "oh but it's ok if other people also want to read my stories!" but this of course also makes clear who they're actually making manga for.

Right now, it seems to me like all the authors whose works I read write primarily for girls—both Chinese authors like Xian Jun or Tracy Hu, and Japanese authors like Morishima Akiko, Shimura Takako, Morinaga Milk, Yatosaki Haru, Odoroo Dorothy, Yurikago, Hijiki, Iwami Kiyoko, Kosuzume, Tamamusi, etc.

joined May 24, 2019

I'm thinking about Kasumi and Sakurako, how they touch each other all the time, and kiss, and bath together, and sleep in one bed, and one time Sakurako was drunk and she asked Kasumi to sit on her face so she could lick her pussy (Kasumi didn't do it because they were with friends and in a public place, otherwise she would prolly have complied).

Next time some guy tells me that Kasumi and Sakurako don't have a well-defined relationship of lovers, I'm gonna laugh in his face and tell him to go check the 32 chapters of this exercise in emptiness—to make him realize what a couple of women who aren't lesbians really looks like.

joined May 24, 2019

Tsukushi had the rejection dream again? That's actually good... because it had been pretty much forgotten in the more recent chapters and it's the fecking title dammit!

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

The Salinger reference in the title is a bit, uh, arbitrary, isn't it? There's not much in the story to justify it.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Hello mom! <3

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019
109769368_p196

Sis love.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

full circle XD

I can't decide if the nurse is just pretending not to know how the thing started or if she really has forgotten that it was her who set the snowball rolling.

joined May 24, 2019

Some of you seem confused by the transition between chapters? But I think it's crystal clear! Yes, the author skipped some parts because she didn't want to waste space in obvious and uninteresting stuff, but that isn't really a problem: the narrative is smooth.

Makino took the credit card and bought an engagement ring (for Mashiro) ==> Whatshisface thought his marriage with Makino was a go ==> He told their parents that Makino had agreed to marry him ==> Makino's mom went to the cram school to arrange her withdrawal ==> Makino's mom learned how a left hook to the jaw feels.

The not-shown parts are the boring bits between the different stages of the narrative development... like Whatshisface, his parents and Makino's parents discussing the marriage plans while Makino in the background jumps up and down and yells that it's all a misunderstanding but nobody pays attention to her. We don't need or care to read about that, we can guess how it went. Moving from the end of last chapter to the very important climactic developments in this chapter is the right narrative choice.

Speaking of important stuff, one thing that hasn't been shown yet but we definitely will get to see next chapter is the chat between Makino and Mashiro about the episode at the jeweller's! Mashiro will demand to know what was going on at the time... and after Makino explains I suspect Mashiro, faithful to her role as Makino's Jiminy Cricket, will tell her to return card, ring and everything to that guy. "You should buy me a ring with the money you earned yourself, Makino-chan!" Or something along the lines.

joined May 24, 2019

What will happen to her? How is Makino gonna end up after this??

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

The author has pretty much written the mcs up against a wall and suspense is unbearable; I'm crazy eager to know what's going to happen now!

Aaand there's your answer!

It's like in old Greek tragedies: when the story hits a wall, the gods send a natural disaster—like a freak storm no weather forecasts had predicted—to break the plotblock and get things moving!

Our girls will have the chance to scream their true feelings at each other against a background of gale and rain and thunder and lightning and falling trees and flying fair tents!

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

I must have missed the scene where dicks were involved. To me it just looked like two people who love each other flirting and kissing.

One yuri guide from the olden time described the different types of yuri fans and mentioned that a large segment of the fandom doesn't want yurigirls to ever come closer than 10 m. to a penis—or an individual equipped with one.

I assume it's even less desirable if the individuals in question are sexually aroused.

But I guess for some people, the mere existence of two people (fictional, at that!) in love who both have hypothetical penises that you are not currently able to see is enough to elicit revulsion. I wonder if there's a word for that.

Lesbians who have been so victimized and hurt by patriarchal society that they don't want anymore to read about males in their comics. Even if they are shown as good guys. Especially if they are shown as good guys.
As one of my friends once told me, men in fiction can be much more tolerable if they're evil assholes who are in the story only to be killed by the heroines.

Let me emphasize that point: this is an attitude towards men in fiction and has nothing to do with real world behaviors and real world people. One should be able to tell reality from fiction. Some writers in this forum have an inordinate amount of trouble with that.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

Now, let's observe Fuuko through this "maturity spectrum":

She is the most mature of those three characters. However f-ed up she is, she is owning it.
And she is better match for immature Yuni, to guide her and give her stability what completely insecure and immature Yuni needs.

But the main problem here is her TENDENCY FOR MANIPULATION.
She is not doing things naturally with Yuni, practically alluring her to love her or become dependent on her (it's same as using a bribe).
It would not be fair to win Yuni over, under such circumstances.
It's not pure, and it's not a good foundation for development of an healthy relationship for which those 2 characters have a chance by making right moves and right choices.

Yuni must come to Fuuko by her own will realizing that she truly cares for her, not because she feels alone, bored, or in need (of any kind), and not because she is bribed....

I love your analyses. They're so insightful!
I was thinking about the way the Fuuko x Yuni relationship evolved as the story advanced and I recalled something: Fuuko actually tried to let Yuni come to her on her own, just as you suggest... didn't she?
Chapter 15, lunch break. Fuuko is eating at the rooftop stairs. Yuni texts her that she wants to meet her. "Come to me!" writes Fuuko, and Yuni goes to see her. Yuni starts complaining about her trouble with Nanase and Yuki, and Fuuko stops her and speaks clearly: Yuni must make a decision! "Cheating is bad. Your girlfriend is more important than me? Then it's fine to dump me! It's the right thing to do. What do you want to do? Do you want to stop our affair, and go back to her? Make up your mind!" Yuni is so shocked!
And her choice is very decisive: she decides not to break up with Fuuko. She goes to Fuuko (on all fours lol), kisses her and begs her to stay by her side. Fuuko agrees, and in chapter 16 we find them still kissing and Yuni makes an ambiguous promise to never leave Fuuko as long as she keeps the Moon piercing on her ear.

Well, in chapter 20 she's still wearing that piercing! All chapter long! Even in her last panel, where she leaves with Nanase, she still has the piercing on her ear! Lol, talk about confusing and contradictory signals... no wonder Fuuko is vexed and indignant! Who is the real Yuni, the one who acted 100% docile and obedient to Nanase or the one who cried that she couldn't live without Fuuko? This is the kind of puzzling question Fuuko is facing right now...

Jeanne Mathison
J<->M discussion 23 Aug 22:50
joined May 24, 2019

In Japan, scolding is like Vogon poetry. A kind of torture method lol.

Poor J (trapped in Megumi's body) must feel like gnawing one of his own legs off.