Forum › Throw Away the Suit Together discussion

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

Not even gonna try to unpack this.
Just tear out my heart and stomp to pieces why don't you?

But that's also the reason why it will feel extra good later. This isn't set up in a way to be a soul-grinding tragedy, but more like a purgatory.

Fluffy stories usually have that air of inauthenticity to them, no matter how cute. Too much handweaving, or characters feel like they've been boxed in instead of being allowed to live and breathe, just so author doesn't need to adress a whole bunch of stuff.

I'm really digging that in here, other people outside of the relationship aren't the only source of problems, or even worst problem. Even the most benign relationship possible and wanting the absolutely best for each other isn't a guarantee of just acing your romantic life for decades. Yuri or not.

last edited at Feb 25, 2023 6:06PM

joined Jan 21, 2020

Well, while im not sure how i myself feel about it yet, i think a fair few people arent gonna like this development and for good reason. The start made it seem like they were gonna turn away from a "normal" life path and this chapter sees them returning to exactly that. And while i do agree that its a realistic development, you can also realistically reject the "normal" life path and be happy regardless, and i think thats what alot of people were hoping to get from this.

joined May 10, 2021

Felt like every new page broke me heart into more little pieces...
So I'm gonna guess they'll be separated for a while now, which obviously doesn't help healing my heart but... At least they've realised what they need to do to live a stable life. And they're both gonna be honest with each others. I hope.
Thanks for the translation andIcannotfuckingwaitfornextchapter

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Here's hoping they get the qualifications they need to get some internet services installed at their home so they can just work at their remote town of relaxation.

Assuming internet providers aren't arsehats like they are here.

carefullycraftedchaos
joined Nov 18, 2015

The reality is relationships are hard. Building a life together is hard. I appreciate how the story handled the couple's naïve idea that they could just run away together, live in an idyllic countryside, and all their problems magically go away. No, bills still need to be paid. As unfair as it is, minimum wage/part time jobs just aren't going to cut it in most parts of the world. Feeling hopeless or stuck when you can't provide for the one you love; there's a reason why money is one of the top reasons couples get divorced. You need more than love to have a successful relationship. Along with love, you need partnership, sacrifice and compromise.

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

To those who didn't notice, Throw Away the Suit Together had been on an unofficial hiatus since last October. It was never stated as such—every issue of Yuri Hime during this period still had it listed as coming next time—but it consistently failed to appear on publication day.

I have no idea why but I hope Keyyan has things sorted out now. I missed these two.

The slap was actually the best part of this chapter. It should have happened on page 10, but Haru was still pretending that empty platitudes helped the situation. Hii done fucked up, and Haru was only making it worse by lying that it didn't hurt her. I do not condone violence in any relationship, but the slap was something to convey to Hii how hurtful her lack of trust has been. It was an honest and raw expression of Haru's emotional pain, and it kind of broke down the dam that allowed the subsequent conversation to happen. Now, even if they have failed to escape the outside world, they are still in it together, rather than kept apart by lies. Their situation and prospects are shitty, and it will take more time to heal the rift between them, but at least they can hold each other tightly again at the end of the chapter.

I'm impressed with how Keyyan handled this. Or maybe disturbed that a slap is one of the more uplifting moments. It signifies an important milestone in their relationship: Haru drawing a line in the sand that she'll expose her rawest ugliest feelings to Hinoto alone. And that's probably for the best in the long term.

There's a multi-layered reference to chapter 1, when Haru said she had to take her interviews seriously and give honest answers rather than simply answering whatever her prospective employer wants to hear. More directly this applies to her misguidedly putting a wall up with Hinoto, but it also highlights her character development that she's feeling desperate enough to lie to the museum staff. She's losing something she prides about herself in the stress of it all. Or maybe that's a bit of her childishness she's learning to leave behind, as depressing as that sounds. But as dour as the end of the chapter is, her commitment to Hinoto in spite of her changes is something to keep hopeful for.

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

Well, while im not sure how i myself feel about it yet, i think a fair few people arent gonna like this development and for good reason. The start made it seem like they were gonna turn away from a "normal" life path and this chapter sees them returning to exactly that. And while i do agree that its a realistic development, you can also realistically reject the "normal" life path and be happy regardless, and i think thats what alot of people were hoping to get from this.

You cant reject normal life tho, you cant feed yourself without food, you cant get food without money, you cant get money without working, you cant realistically escape normal life bc there is nowhere to escape.

StudentOfEtherium
Djp09ca4_400x400
joined Dec 16, 2017

this chapter really felt like it was stressing the definition of "wholesome" lmao

637779b7-15e8-460d-857f-1d1f3ef2d4a5
joined Sep 15, 2019

Thank you ever so much for the translation. This is by far my most favorite series.

Images%20(2)
joined Sep 28, 2021

About that other chapter, I've noticed that on some Yuri manga one of them always resorts to slapping during argues and I just wanted to know why, like, is it common to slap someone's face on Japan like that? is it just a Yuri thing or an general thing?, because idk they always resorting to slapping their partners' face just makes this feels so abusive

joined Mar 28, 2020

About that other chapter, I've noticed that on some Yuri manga one of them always resorts to slapping during argues and I just wanted to know why, like, is it common to slap someone's face on Japan like that? is it just a Yuri thing or an general thing?, because idk they always resorting to slapping their partners' face just makes this feels so abusive

In this case, it wasn't abusive, this was just Hii needing a serious reality check

Also, welcome to being in a relationship, they ain't always fluffy and being with another person is never easy. And sometimes rough shit like this is a reality that even the happiest of relationships have faced and overcame.

last edited at Feb 25, 2023 10:49PM

Images%20(2)
joined Sep 28, 2021

In this case, it wasn't abusive, this was just Hii needing a serious reality check

Also, welcome to being in a relationship, they ain't always fluffy and being with another person is never easy. And sometimes rough shit like this is a reality that even the happiest of relationships have faced and overcame.

Not even in the most heated argues with my partner slapping them never came across my mind and I would feel ashamed if it did, but okay I guess

Untitled-1
joined Feb 6, 2017

Uh, no. It's abusive. Getting heated and yelling? Sure. Hitting? Unacceptable. Don't hit your partner unless it's during consensual sexy fun times.

Jo
joined Jan 1, 2019

These two absolutely NEED the time apart. Not discussing with your partner about moving (not good), fueling each others' doubts (not good), hitting your partner (not good) and getting all sad about lying in an interview about a position you couldn't get for a job she doesn't actually care about is so weak minded I don't actually think they're ready for all this. Relationship and all. At least they actually recognize it and WANT to move forward.

last edited at Feb 25, 2023 11:47PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

To those who didn't notice, Throw Away the Suit Together had been on an unofficial hiatus since last October. It was never stated as such—every issue of Yuri Hime during this period still had it listed as coming next time—but it consistently failed to appear on publication day.

I have no idea why but I hope Keyyan has things sorted out now. I missed these two.

Ah, that explains the chapter gap, thanks for pointing that out. :-)

I'm impressed with how Keyyan handled this. Or maybe disturbed that a slap is one of the more uplifting moments. It signifies an important milestone in their relationship: Haru drawing a line in the sand that she'll expose her rawest ugliest feelings to Hinoto alone. And that's probably for the best in the long term.

This chapter has been all about Haru establishing and enforcing her first real boundary with Hii, namely, that they do not keep each other out of the loop on important life decisions. Doing so with a person you already have a very close relationship with is always intensely nerve-wracking and correspondingly messy, so all things considered, the girls did pretty well in this instance. Their next boundary should be "not lying to spare each other's feelings", and I think they've already made tentative steps to establishing it.

There's a multi-layered reference to chapter 1, when Haru said she had to take her interviews seriously and give honest answers rather than simply answering whatever her prospective employer wants to hear. More directly this applies to her misguidedly putting a wall up with Hinoto, but it also highlights her character development that she's feeling desperate enough to lie to the museum staff. She's losing something she prides about herself in the stress of it all. Or maybe that's a bit of her childishness she's learning to leave behind, as depressing as that sounds. But as dour as the end of the chapter is, her commitment to Hinoto in spite of her changes is something to keep hopeful for.

The interview highlighted to Haru the gap between her genuine self and the expected role her social environment forces upon her (which is, accidentally, the overarching theme of the story as a whole). It made her realize that her survival depends on maintaining her role-compliant facade, but also that the person she is most able to show her genuine self is Hii -- which is what finally made her confront Hii's actions.

I think, however, that a fine distinction should be made regarding the girls' "childishness", namely, between their child-like genuine selves and their child-like expectation that said genuine selves are all that they need. Adopting and fulfilling a specific role/function is, unfortunately, the only way to enjoy economic stability in the (modern, Japanese) society, but not at the cost of sacrificing one's genuine self. In that case, you end up incapable of loving yourself or another being, incapable of experiencing life in the moment, standing in awe of the night sky, and yelling at it how much you love someone. The real childishness is not in embracing genuine self over economic security, but in thinking that they are an exclusive, black-or-white kind of deal.

Enanano
joined Oct 16, 2020

i wonder if theyll show the entire finishing up college arc or keyyan might put a timeskip instead but overall im looking forward to the next chapters

joined Feb 23, 2020

I think, that the manga is heading towards a "Having an office job/normal boring job doesn't mean that you need to have a boring life." Take the museum for example, if Haru gets the job, it'll be an office job, but nothing says it will be a boring soul-crushing job. There might be things in there that she wouldn't experience in a company for example. She might also like the environment, she might make friends with her co-workers. It might feel fulfilling. Yet, even if it isn't, she can still be her normal, genuine self with Hii, and whatever other friends she made.

A job doesn't need to define her. It's just a boring thing she has to do to be able to live.

Meanwhile, while going back to school isn't something that Hii really wants, it again might not be the end of the world. Something good can come off of it.

Maybe that's the main lesson of the manga, Throwing away the suit together means less giving up on normal society, because you can't, and more not letting normal society crush you down into a worker drone and allowing your self to live happily.

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

Not even in the most heated argues with my partner slapping them never came across my mind and I would feel ashamed if it did, but okay I guess

In a perfect world everyone would be able to maintain that kind of mindset in such situations

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Well, it's a temporary situation I presume--I can't see a story called "Throwing away the suit together" getting resolved by putting back on the suit separately. We're at a tough time but they will move forward in the end.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Things got quite hairy there for a moment, but finally they've properly talked things through and we're back on the road to a nice future together, even if it means a short time apart to make sure that future will come true.

LaPucelleOnGirls
La%20pucelle%2004
joined Apr 12, 2021

Why the reason of the slap?
I think is exagerated, probably Manio influence on this mangaka

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

The slap wasn't cool. They need to actually sit down and talk about what they both each expect and want out of life and their relationship - not a fun part of life, but being together for life entails awkward conversations like that. I get the frustration of eking out a living in a place of your partner's choosing, only for your partner to change her mind (happened to me a few times, then partner become an ex for that and very, very many other reasons).

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

While the slap wasn't a good thing to do as far as actual relationships go, for the purpose of the story it was great. It nicely connected to Hii saying "Getting slapped would've hurt less" after Haru lied to her, so seeing that slap and her yelling at Hii shows crystal clear that in the end she managed to be honest, even if it hurts. chef's kiss

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

If both of them end up in Tokyo, that will be nice.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

If both of them end up in Tokyo, that will be nice.

What? That would be horrible.

To reply you must either login or sign up.