Forum › A Scummy Gap Student With a Hard Life Calls Upon a Lady of the Night discussion

joined May 10, 2021

Man, her mum's hysterical attack was really something eh?
Feels like nothing can go between Makino and her future wife's relationship though. Which is nice.
Thanks for the chapter!

joined Jun 11, 2016

thanks for the chapters!

I'm laughing so hard when her mother came through the window XD She's Makino's mother alright XD

also the chapter is reversed? Like, chapter 68 leads to chapter 67 while chapter 67 is the newest one.

last edited at Apr 30, 2024 3:41AM

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

She's gonna have a bad surprise if she thinks Makino is being "tricked" and that "revealing" Mashiro's job will make them break up, but I have a feeling that Makino will come out on top, simply from the fact that for all her scumminess, she's genuine and honest.

"That woman works as a prostitute!"

"Yeah, I know."

"We've met through it."

"I've payed her with the money you gave me."

last edited at Apr 30, 2024 7:31AM

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

She's gonna have a bad surprise if she thinks Makino is being "tricked" and that "revealing" Mashiro's job will make them break up, but I have a feeling that Makino will come out on top, simply from the fact that for all her scumminess, she's genuine and honest.

"Yeah, I know."

"We've met through it."

Imagine if Makino gets over her final hangups about having a girlfriend who does sexwork because of this. Just like "I'm no longer jealous about letting other women pay to have sex with you if it means I can get one over on my shitty mom"

342713096_945190890232560_6363820535049258469_n
joined Mar 18, 2023

"He's got plenty of money so stick your butthole out for him and live a happy life!"

I would never imagined this line exists in a Yuri manga.

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

That poor principal…

"Yeah, I know."

"We've met through it."

Ah, I see your are proposing the “give Toxic Mom a heart attack” solution. A risky move, but a definitive one.

joined May 24, 2014

Oh my,

How are they're getting out of this mess?

last edited at Apr 30, 2024 2:14PM

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Chapters 67 and 68 have been updated to fix a few minor typos

joined Sep 4, 2016

This mom is absolutely insufferable. Nothing worse than when a parent lives vicariously through their grown children.

joined Mar 27, 2021

It strikes me that, early on, it was hard to be entirely sure whether Toxic Mom was really all that bad, or if she just seemed that way because we were only getting Makino's perspective.

Well, I'm sorry I ever doubted you, Makino. Your mother is a crazy person.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I just hope that Mashiro has already reported the ongoing home invasion to the police. :-) Stalking charges can be appended at later point.

last edited at May 1, 2024 7:41AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

I just hope that Mashiro has already reported the ongoing home invasion to the police. :-) Stalking charges can be appended at later point.

She never called the police, she just say that to make her mom leave.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Her mom has a point, too. Even here her daughter is leveraging her “Trash” girl skills. This is the girl that begged money from her parents then spent it on expensive prostitutes. And claimed she was studying hard. Yes, she’s reformed a lot, but her mother hasn’t seen it.

joined Apr 10, 2023

Her mother has absolutely seen it, she's seen Makino's vastly improved test scores and got called to the hospital from Makino overworking. If Toxic Mom doesn't believe in Makino and the Power of Gay Love at this point then that's entirely on her

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

She never called the police, she just say that to make her mom leave.

That was Makino, not Mashiro.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Ugh, Mashiro's way too much of a good girl than is good for her.

I know she means well and all but there's absolutely no reason why she'd need to work so hard to win the approval of someone so undeserving of her efforts.

Should've just kicked the old hag to the curb like Makino no doubt would've wanted to. She already used all the influence to pressure them that she had, there'd be no negative consequences to cutting her out that haven't already happened.

last edited at May 1, 2024 5:03PM

Lilisionnach
Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Her mom has a point, too. Even here her daughter is leveraging her “Trash” girl skills. This is the girl that begged money from her parents then spent it on expensive prostitutes. And claimed she was studying hard. Yes, she’s reformed a lot, but her mother hasn’t seen it.

No, she doesn’t have a point. She’s lost all sympathy, respect, and logic once her argument was that Mashiro being brought up poor and “raised in an abnormal environment” is disqualifying. She’s ignoring all the progress that her daughter has made since she met Mashiro. It certainly wasn’t Mom that instilled a better work ethic and commitment to better grades. Makino’s mom has reduced Mashiro to the product of her childhood circumstances (something out of her control) instead of the woman she has grown to be.

In my opinion, sod off the mom, call the police for B&E and harassment if she doesn’t leave, and move on.

last edited at May 1, 2024 5:21PM

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

I know she means well and all but there's absolutely no reason why she'd need to work so hard to win the approval of someone so undeserving of her efforts.

Should've just kicked the old hag to the curb like Makino no doubt would've wanted to. She already used all the influence to pressure them that she had, there'd be no negative consequences to cutting her out that haven't already happened.

I think it's one of those fiction things. Almost a kind of...power(?) fantasy maybe- the idea that, if we can just show the doubters about how good we actually are, they will come around and realize how wrong they were.

In real life, of course, most of the time toxic people are just toxic, and we really don't "owe" them anything. It's the parents' duty to accept their children, not the children's duty to "prove" that they're worthy of their parents' trust and love.

Sometimes cutting toxic people out of your life really is the best solution. But I guess that's rarely a very literary ending.

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

Maybe Mashiro doesn't want Makino to lose her family. Growing up without family is what influenced her field of study, after all.

joined Apr 10, 2023

I seriously can't even begin to comprehend the problem with being an orphan Toxic Mom has. I've certainly been exposed to plenty of different bigotries and stereotypes and biases but "don't let your daughter date an orphan"? Literally never, what on earth even is this.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

No, she doesn’t have a point. She’s lost all sympathy, respect, and logic once her argument was that Mashiro being brought up poor and “raised in an abnormal environment” is disqualifying.

The comment you pointed was written before this chapter and if you had any of this feelings toward her before that, that's not a good sign.

That's said, i'm pretty much done with the mom yeah. She had one chance here to redempt herself, even so sligthly, but decide to throw it out of the window cause "bla bla no parents, lesbian brothel". Imagine trying your best to get your life together after a hard life and someone just come and say "you're a bad influence for my kid" despite said kid being the scum of the earth even before meeting her.

ArtemisOnVtubers
joined Dec 16, 2021

Lucky of the scummy had a smart girlfriend
I thought the mom will get mad knowing her daughter spend her money in brothels

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

They shouldn't even do this for the mother. Mashiro has been anything but a bad influence. She's the most sane out of everyone in this manga. Riding everything on Makino passing a test is not a good measure, either.

last edited at May 1, 2024 6:06PM

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

The constant tone shift between Mashiro's serious expressions/statements to Makino's unserious ridiculous reactions are comedy gold. Love this series

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

At this point, the only thing driving this whole subplot is the irrational deference the Japanese culture expects towards old folks. Mashiro has nothing to prove here -- and certainly not to the shithead who's been the actual bad influence on Makino her entire life.

last edited at May 1, 2024 6:39PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.