Forum › A Scummy Gap Student With a Hard Life Calls Upon a Lady of the Night discussion

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Really sucks to be you, Toxic Mom... :D

And looks like an unlikely ally is here to help the girls get their lives on the track again.

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

The bl development is happining
Also, the toxic mother maybe accept the sister relationship but scummy one no

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

The ex-fiancé opening his eyes to the world of Yaoi will alway be one of the funniest developments of this series.

Btw, hell yeah the mom should accept that Makino is also dating a woman, otherwise her whole "support" towards the sister was because she had a backup (aka the younger) and not because she accepts her children being gay. And if the dark speech bubble indicates anything, bigoted twats don't become good and accepting people out of the blue.

Tho Mashiro's worries are valid because of her line of work. I doubt that Makino's conservative parents would be ok with her second job, that now after getting fired as "Sato-san" happens to be her main source of income

Let us see...

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

"Lately I've seen cosplayers on social media!"

I wonder... how do you cosplay as a character of this manga???

Don't they all dress like typical Japanese girls, in perfectly normal clothes?

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Makino no! You were supposed to be the one who wasn't blinded by fantasy!

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

"Lately I've seen cosplayers on social media!"

I wonder... how do you cosplay as a character of this manga???

Don't they all dress like typical Japanese girls, in perfectly normal clothes?

Cosplay just means to make yourself look lile someone else, "real" cosplay involves mostly banal costume

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

The ex-fiancé opening his eyes to the world of Yaoi will alway be one of the funniest developments of this series.

Btw, hell yeah the mom should accept that Makino is also dating a woman, otherwise her whole "support" towards the sister was because she had a backup (aka the younger) and not because she accepts her children being gay. And if the dark speech bubble indicates anything, bigoted twats don't become good and accepting people out of the blue.

Tho Mashiro's worries are valid because of her line of work. I doubt that Makino's conservative parents would be ok with her second job, that now after getting fired as "Sato-san" happens to be her main source of income

Let us see...

She just wants sena to take over the family business

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

I love that she even has a scummy way of coming out to her mum.

joined Jan 24, 2022

Ah... Makino... you don't understand how obsessed Asian moms are with continuing the family line...

(armchair psychologist voice) I have reason to believe Asian mothers force the burden of childbearing on their daughters because they themselves had to suffer that pressure, and sunk cost fallacy about bloodline carries intergenerationally.

That's exactly what it is. "I had to go through it so you should do it too" + "What will others think if my daughter doesn't have children?"

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Ah... Makino... you don't understand how obsessed Asian moms are with continuing the family line...

(armchair psychologist voice) I have reason to believe Asian mothers force the burden of childbearing on their daughters because they themselves had to suffer that pressure, and sunk cost fallacy about bloodline carries intergenerationally.

That's exactly what it is. "I had to go through it so you should do it too" + "What will others think if my daughter doesn't have children?"

Yeah, a lot of people think that not having children just deprives your life of meaning, especially if you're a woman. And then there's the "you should have to go through the hardship that I went through" mentality, which is utterly insane. I was under the impression we were supposed to leave our children a better world with less suffering, but from what I've observed that's only true as a political slogan. :/

joined Feb 6, 2024

i love how everything comes so easy here in this manga
going against parents, job situation
its actually therapeutic for me in a way
warms my heart a lot of actually how the mc has this powerful love inside that makes her unstoppable
lesgo

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Yeah, a lot of people think that not having children just deprives your life of meaning, especially if you're a woman. And then there's the "you should have to go through the hardship that I went through" mentality, which is utterly insane.

I think this mentality makes a little bit more sense when considered from the perspective of a family/lineage thinking than from an individualist viewpoint. If Makino's mother views herself less as an individual with own needs and interests, and more of a representative of her lineage (which is indirectly supported by her obsession with the family business), her anger at Makino's refusal comes less having had to eat the same crap in her youth, and more from the fact that in her mind, Makino is not an individual, but just another representative of her lineage, and thus subject to the same societal duties. In that case, Makino's mother may not even be capable of adopting an individualistic perspective anymore, since that would entail coming to grips that she has wasted her life on things that were expected of her societal role but that have never made her happy.

I realize now that what I said above sounds a bit like I am excusing Toxic Mom's actions -- I am not, for the record.

To reply you must either login or sign up.