Forum › Your Everything discussion

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

In the first place there isn't even any reason to assume they are actually related. I mean it is possible considering Maki is a few years younger and the father left when his actual daughter was still very young, but Maki could as well be a child from a previous marriage. They do not look very alike at all either.

The pesudo-incest wasnt really the point the story was trying to focus on that's for sure. It's more about what a lousy father they both had and how these two girls who had been down because of the same man actually build each other back up. Like they could only fall in love thanks to the fact that the father remarried and caused this domino chain.

Fullsizeoutput_97
joined Jun 2, 2016

Fuck, I knew one of my favorite writers wouldn’t let me down. I saw the amount of comments on a one-shot and strapped my seatbelt in.

Fairypixie24
joined Apr 6, 2019

^ I know what you mean.

A simple oneshot, nothing sexy, just slightly romantic... and, in half a day, five pages of comments!?

Incest (or even the smallest hint thereof) sure is super popular. ¯⧹_(ツ)_⧸¯

joined Jul 23, 2017

Now thats shocking and sad indeed

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

I honestly want more of this. Their relationship is cute, and the conflict seems compelling...

Original
joined Jul 10, 2018

Really interesting story here, would love to see some sort of follow-up.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

^ I know what you mean.

A simple oneshot, nothing sexy, just slightly romantic... and, in half a day, five pages of comments!?

Incest (or even the smallest hint thereof) sure is super popular. ¯⧹_(ツ)_⧸¯

You should check the Frozen fandom discussions about Elsa/Anna. It's wild.

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

Is this a series? holy shit I would totally fucking read it.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

The predictability of the plot isn't really a fault of the author so much as it represents a limitation of the medium they were working with. I can't say the tone really worked for me, tho. The BAM TWIST straight into conclusion fails to properly convey...much of anything beyond natural emotional response. There's plenty of material here for speculation and discussion, but to echo Kiena, there really isn't anything conclusive at all to derive from the story. Certainly it could carry some promise as a series, though.

Re:Tags while it's always a welcome discussion and so on, in this case there won't be any changes. Perhaps next time we'll be better off posting that first, since it does seem like these tag discussions become rather circular after a while.

joined Jan 14, 2020

"Honestly this is like the test case for moral incest. There is no chance for any genetic problems in their children, nor is there any power imbalance at work considering they didn't know they were half-sisters before they started dating"

Plus they're not living together, unlike "A Love Smeared in Ashes", so you don't have that complication (which can apply to unrelated step-sisters as in Citrus). It really is a pure case of "welp, we share a lot of genes, but so what?"

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

The tendency is that siblings who grow up together generally aren't attracted to one another (the hypothesized Westermarck effect). The social extension of that is siblings who do engage in romantic or sexual activities with one another are assumed not to be socially well-adjusted people (i.e. something's not quite right with them). Unfortunately, most people who hear that two siblings are dating aren't going to have the patience to listen to their backstory but will instead jump straight to "what's wrong with them." That's the social pressure against sibling incest, and it's not insignificant.

I have to admit to this bias myself. I think in the case of this manga I would understand, but these sisters would definitely have my sympathy if they tried to move forward with a romantic relationship.

I think the older sister at the end is coming to grips with the probability that if she started dating the younger sister, the friends and family in their orbit (and society at large) would not be supportive, to say the least. I don't think she's wrong, even if it's unfair in this case.

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I want to put in my own interpretation on this one shot. I don't think the girl is really worried about them being half sisters affecting their relationship, since she makes that promise with her about going to an amusement park.

I think she felt sad at the fact that her dad never came to see her, even though they seemed to have been living in the same town. Not only that, but he started a life with another family and even raised a daughter who is not that much older than herself.

She had this wishful thinking that her dad cared about her but was never able to come see her due to some complications on his side. So when she realises the truth her expectations are shattered and she is distraugthed.

From the way story is presented, I think it's pretty clear that the major reason she's upset is that she's concerned about committing incest. Look at her reaction to finding out, specifically this page. There's so much visual emphasis on the line about how they're blood relatives. There's no mention at all of any resentment towards her father or feelings of abandonment after she finds out. Going by what the author chooses to show us, her first and only thought is worry about being related to the girl she loves. So to assume that she's just upset about her father abandoning her is reading into the text something that isn't there while ignoring what plainly is.

It's kind of funny, incest is just so often taken lightly in manga, especially in yuri manga, that it kind of ruins stories like this where the author actually takes it seriously and considers how a real person would react in such a situation. Like, after reading so many stories where the character's blood relation is used purely to add a minor spice of forbidden love, or just as a joke, my first reaction to reading this was, "so what?" and I had to actually force myself to think about how I'd feel in this situation to really get anything out of the story.

Alpha%20avatar
joined Nov 13, 2015

Who the hell drinks lemonade hot, though?

Tumblr_ok9qbbf9zt1vy8fcno2_250
joined Nov 13, 2018

When her mom said her father died and later she saw Maki all sad it was pretty obvious they'd be related, anyways, wouldn't that be considered incest? I wonder if putting that tag in would be spoiler-ish? Probably yes.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Who the hell drinks lemonade hot, though?

It's a thing in many places, actually, especially in colder climates.

And then there's a bunch of loonies who believe hot lemonade (plus honey, onion, aloe vera or spirits, depending on which conspiracy theorist you're dealing with) is a panacea for * insert some serious disease here *. Like cancer. And covid.

When her mom said her father died and later she saw Maki all sad it was pretty obvious they'd be related, anyways, wouldn't that be considered incest? I wonder if putting that tag in would be spoiler-ish? Probably yes.

Yes and yes, read the rest of the forum thread.

last edited at May 7, 2020 7:39PM

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Love this author, super happy to see more from them!

S-l225
joined Feb 14, 2014

Could be that when the Dad remarried, the woman he married already had a child from a previous one. If that's the case, then they could finally breathe.

I can't honestly see how much of a difference that would make.

It wouldn't. I think a lot of people are overlooking the feeling of abandonment that Hibari must be feeling. Even if Maki wasn't her father's child and blood-related to her, the fact that her dad never contacted her while living with another family and raising another girl wouldn't go away.

i think in that moment she finds out that really is the only thing going through her mind.

S-l225
joined Feb 14, 2014

In the first place there isn't even any reason to assume they are actually related. I mean it is possible considering Maki is a few years younger and the father left when his actual daughter was still very young, but Maki could as well be a child from a previous marriage. They do not look very alike at all either.

The pesudo-incest wasnt really the point the story was trying to focus on that's for sure. It's more about what a lousy father they both had and how these two girls who had been down because of the same man actually build each other back up. Like they could only fall in love thanks to the fact that the father remarried and caused this domino chain.

I dont think the father was lousy in Maki's mind. she only talked about how he was in the hospital and they kept the seriousness of his condition hidden from her til the end

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

I absolutely need a continuation of this! Need to see what happens next

Im%20gonna%20fucking%20cry%20koyuki
joined Nov 5, 2017

wow my everything just fucking exploded, im dead inside

JazzLafayette
4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

I must be thoroughly genre-broken given I anticipated the twist from the moment she sees Maki looking sad.

Regarding tagging: I understand the site staff generally prioritizes spoiler sensitivity, but I think it's worth considering reworking tag functions so that readers don't just stumble into things they'd rather not be seeing. Even something as small as letting folks hide the tags UI if they want to elide the possibility of spoilers, but also potentially enabling alerts set to specific tags so someone can back out even if they do have them hidden.

Knowing next to nothing about web dev, obviously I'm first to recognize I've no idea how much work this would entail. I do feel, though, that encouraging robust tagging is the best option in terms of community health. The potential of someone encountering content that can seriously fuck them up even using all information at their disposal is a shame.

Lovelivealpaca
joined Feb 2, 2013

I see lots of people saying they don't like incest (me either) but to tag it would really spoil the ending. It's a great twist and I'm hoping that this is a series

last edited at May 7, 2020 10:38PM

Akarin%20idk
joined Jan 2, 2017

How lovely! How heartbreaking! Genuinely feels unique among yuri stories - I don't know if I even want a continuation, or if ending it here is best - thematically, emotionally.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Regarding tagging: I understand the site staff generally prioritizes spoiler sensitivity, but I think it's worth considering reworking tag functions so that readers don't just stumble into things they'd rather not be seeing.

It's been suggested. Quite often, by several people, and in a variety of different ways. I remember someone from the Dynasty staff saying something like "sadly, it can't be done". Maybe they've got no dev in the team currently, or something like that.

Th
joined Aug 6, 2014

Damn that was great. I'd love to see a contiunation.

To reply you must either login or sign up.