Forum › Posts by Advance Tabco

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

Weren't the stick people all supposed to get one box in the first panel of that drawing and then the whole point was about redistributing the boxes equitably? Like, where did the boxes come from teach?

What are you even talking about? This has nothing to do with something as simple as redistributing existing assets like you do with taxes.

I think what they were getting at is that the image the teacher drew is based on an existing real-world drawing depicting the same concept (do a Google search for equity vs. fairness picture). In the original, each person has one box in the first panel (three boxes total). The tall person didn't need their box, and the short person still couldn't see over the fence even with one box. I don't know if the mangaka here deliberately removed the boxes to make a different point (as you allude to) or if they left them out as an afterthought.

As a person with hearing loss, I'm surprised at how many familiar anecdotes I'm seeing. I also struggle hearing women's voices and other higher-pitched sounds. In high school especially many girls thought I was giving them the cold shoulder or acting superior to them.

last edited at Sep 3, 2022 3:35PM

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

My posts are being blocked as spam again.

ETA: Fixed. Many thanks.

last edited at Sep 3, 2022 3:35PM

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

Could anyone who has access to raws/can translate let me know how this line (bottom of p3) was initially written in Japanese?

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

RE: plural vs. singular "graffiti," I've seen "graffito" used in instances to describe a singular occurrence. Merriam-Webster lists it as well.

This is an interesting story and I'm curious to see where it will lead.

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

The motorcycle theft reminds me of Highway Blossoms, where an automobile theft occurs. The thief there never really faced any consequences and the victim didn't seem all that torn up over it, either.

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

I've had a hearing loss my whole life and the number of people who have claimed it wasn't real always befuddled me. I never understood why they thought that. It never occurred to me it that it might be because they can't see it. I figured it was just my bad luck I ran into so many people like that so I'm surprised to see this phenomenon described in this manga.

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

From the postscript, seems the author was just as surprised as the readers.

Given the time and energy the author invested into the series, I have to believe it hurt when it got axed. I wonder if the tone of the last chapter was a way for the author to convey what they might've felt to the readers. Shocked, confused, and a little hurt. Just my wild speculation, of course.

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

This one cracked me up.

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

This latest chapter reminded me of the book Sideways Stories from Wayside School, which I read when I was in elementary school. It's about a school that was built sideways and the antics its kids get up to.

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

In chapter 163 of the manga you can see the authors' own take on a tanned version of Katou (by way of Tomoko's imagination).

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

I liked it.

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

The "Flowers" series of VNs on Steam is worth looking at too.

Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

Seeing the name Mute made me think of *Mute from Analogue: A Hate Story, although apart from the name there doesn't seem to be any similarity (and I doubt one inspired the other in any event).

Interesting story so far.

Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

I'm a person who doesn't mind being punched in the gut, so I don't take issues with the tags on this story. Without commenting on whether this particular story is good or bad, the twist ending is a large part of what gives this story value, and spoiling that or hinting at it would diminish that value, in my opinion.

Is my enjoyment more important than someone else avoiding a potentially traumatizing story? I can't argue that it is. For all my words, unfortunately I don't have a good suggestion for the tagging issue.

Advance Tabco
Image Comments 16 May 00:43
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018
Bed

That elbow to the jaw (throat?) looks painful.

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

The tendency is that siblings who grow up together generally aren't attracted to one another (the hypothesized Westermarck effect). The social extension of that is siblings who do engage in romantic or sexual activities with one another are assumed not to be socially well-adjusted people (i.e. something's not quite right with them). Unfortunately, most people who hear that two siblings are dating aren't going to have the patience to listen to their backstory but will instead jump straight to "what's wrong with them." That's the social pressure against sibling incest, and it's not insignificant.

I have to admit to this bias myself. I think in the case of this manga I would understand, but these sisters would definitely have my sympathy if they tried to move forward with a romantic relationship.

I think the older sister at the end is coming to grips with the probability that if she started dating the younger sister, the friends and family in their orbit (and society at large) would not be supportive, to say the least. I don't think she's wrong, even if it's unfair in this case.

Advance Tabco
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

I'm enjoying the pace and atmosphere of this manga. But I like introspective stuff anyway.

Advance Tabco
Yuri Yuri 2 discussion 29 Apr 15:08
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

Reminds me of a movie I watched a while back that depicted someone talking to their wife/girlfriend on their cell at various points throughout the movie. At the end, we see that the phone was broken the whole time. It was creepy but also sad.

What movie?

Had to do some digging but it looks like it was called Session 9. It's a horror film.

My takeaway from chapter 4 is that Midori does not have romantic feelings for Ema and has been going along with the flow. Now that Ema is taking things very seriously, Midori is stressing out over how she's going to end this relationship without inflicting too much emotional pain on Ema. Well, that's my guess anyway.

last edited at Apr 29, 2020 3:09PM

Advance Tabco
Yuri Yuri 2 discussion 25 Apr 22:38
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

Reminds me of a movie I watched a while back that depicted someone talking to their wife/girlfriend on their cell at various points throughout the movie. At the end, we see that the phone was broken the whole time. It was creepy but also sad.

Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

I'll never stop being weirded out by the name Azusa since I grew up in Azusa (pronounced uh-ZOO-sa), California.

Advance Tabco
Forum Rules 31 Dec 00:47
Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

Sorry if this isn't the place for asking, but I don't know how to use the IRC, I tried to post a comment in another post, but it says that it was marked for spam, so I wanted no know if it was possible to post my comment.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as this person. My apologies also if there is a better way to address this. I didn't know where to go from "please contact us if you think this has been an error," (contact whom and by what means).