Forum › Yuri Manga Recommendations

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

I looked up chapter 1 of The Bones of an Invisible Person and it looks anything but subdued tbh....

How about Umimachi Diary? That's a quiet chill drama and there's an outstanding live action film adaptation.

last edited at Jan 27, 2022 4:07PM

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I looked up chapter 1 of The Bones of an Invisible Person and it looks anything but subdued tbh....

Lol I knew someone would say that (perhaps rightfully so...). I'm not sure how much the first chapter alone would be able to create the atmosphere I was talking about, since it was the chapter where the story is being set up, but I can't say if having read all of it would really change your opinion... To me, it felt quiet, but I'm not sure how well I could explain why it did...?

How about Umimachi Diary? That's a quiet chill drama and there's an outstanding live action film adaptation.

I read the first chapter and it does look promising. But there doesn't seem to be a full English translation, is there? Maybe I'll check out the movie adaptation.
Though that would mean my request remains unfulfilled :(
But tbh, I half-expected no one would answer XD, so this was much appreciated nonetheless.

joined Mar 18, 2016

I'd like to read something quiet. I don't know if that makes sense, but I'd like it to be something more subdued —no fluff, no boisterous comedy, no loud drama. To make it a bit more clear: I'd rather it leans more on the drama side, but I don't want it to have too much shouting/uncontrolable crying etc. It can have romance, it doesn't need to be yuri (though it'd be a plus), but I'd prefer a female protagonist. Ideally, I'd like it to have a more quiet artstyle as well, not the usual cutesy shoujo style.

I was actually reading The Bones of an Invisible Person, by Ogino Jun, recently, and wanted to read something, not necessarily with the same themes, but rather with a similar feel to it. Does that make sense?
Another example could be Ikoku Nikki, maybe?
I'm just looking for something more down to earth (not meaning it can't contain supernatural elements, I'm mostly referring to the way the characters themselves are presented).

I know you said female protag but I couldn't leave this request without mentioning "march comes in like a lion" and "erased" though spoliers the ending to the latter is unsatisfying imo

"Living with my older brother's wife" might be worth a shot too

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

I know you said female protag but I couldn't leave this request without mentioning "march comes in like a lion" and "erased" though spoliers the ending to the latter is unsatisfying imo

"Living with my older brother's wife" might be worth a shot too

Thanks a lot for the recommendations!
I've actually watched the anime of Erased, so this post may just be the final push for me to finally read the manga, which has been on the back of my mind for a long time. I may also try March Comes in like a Lion, though when I saw my sister watching the anime it seemed a bit loud... but I expect the manga will probably be better in that department. Living with My Brother's Wife has a bit more of a cutesy style, that's why I didn't mention it, but it's definitely a very good series that I'd recommend to anyone looking for a slice of life drama.

1478_nogirlsallowed
joined Oct 26, 2018

any rejection yuri recommendations? :0

joined Jan 4, 2022

Is there any pet play yuri? :}

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^ Why link to a questionable aggregator when the manga is available right here on this site?

Dont%20ruin%20your%20life%20stardom
joined Apr 21, 2020

Is there any pet play yuri? :}

I love Her Pet on Lezhin.

7cef6765-347e-4891-9364-552dfe71ffd8
joined Sep 28, 2020

can anyone recommend good yuri romance with angst involving,,,,,major character death. something similar to please by sudou yumi or the manhua "soulmate"

last edited at Feb 17, 2022 3:18AM

joined Oct 30, 2020

I've been reading Princess x Pistolier on tapas, and I really enjoyed it, so now I am looking for yuri that contains any of the following:
steam/dieselpunk technology, dour industrial landscapes, heavy coats, militarism, women in (practical) armor, loyalty and honor, militarism, authoritarian governments, seriours and strict characters.

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

Anything with characters that seem sort of gloomy or shy or unkempt or unapproachable? I'm thinking of characters like Makino from Shells and AlternaRock, Makio from Ikoku Nikki, Maki from Run Away With Me, Girl, Shou from Dark Forest, White Road and even Sorawo from Otherside Picnic. The ones who fit best what I have in mind, in both appearance and personality, are probably Makino, Shou and Makio (but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to have the names Makino, Makio and Maki one after the other lol). I'm looking for this loner type of character.

last edited at Feb 19, 2022 3:59PM

joined Aug 10, 2014

Can you guys recommend me some manga/anime that started as Yuri bait, but during the course of it's plot decided to go full Yuri ?

Yuri bait being defined as the creators having their characters act really romantically and/or sexually invested in another character from the same gender ,but somehow giving the creators and people that don't like gay relationships a lot of leeway to explain their relationships as just a friendship.

joined Aug 10, 2014

Anything with characters that seem sort of gloomy or shy or unkempt or unapproachable?

Not sure if she counts, but Tomoko in Watamote seems to constantly be perving on her female friends, and having some kind of crush on the popular girl in her class.

Then again Watamote doesn't have any romance so I am not sure if it counts

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

^ I probably would have preferred for it to have romance tbh, but she does seem to fit what I'm looking for (and it's not like I had specified that it needed to be romance in my request lol), so I'll give it a try, thanks :)

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Can you guys recommend me some manga/anime that started as Yuri bait, but during the course of it's plot decided to go full Yuri ?

Yuri bait being defined as the creators having their characters act really romantically and/or sexually invested in another character from the same gender ,but somehow giving the creators and people that don't like gay relationships a lot of leeway to explain their relationships as just a friendship.

Joou-Sama no Eshi probably counts.

Unnamed
joined Nov 6, 2018

Anything with characters that seem sort of gloomy or shy or unkempt or unapproachable? I'm thinking of characters like Makino from Shells and AlternaRock, Makio from Ikoku Nikki, Maki from Run Away With Me, Girl, Shou from Dark Forest, White Road and even Sorawo from Otherside Picnic. The ones who fit best what I have in mind, in both appearance and personality, are probably Makino, Shou and Makio (but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to have the names Makino, Makio and Maki one after the other lol). I'm looking for this loner type of character.

The chapters of Virgin's Empire tagged with Elisha x Honoka. The good thing about that series is that each couple basically has their own storyline, so you can follow just one without any confusion.

last edited at Feb 24, 2022 2:11AM

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

^ You're right, thanks! I couldn't really get into Virgins' Empire when I tried it before, but seeing how you really can read each story separately, perhaps I'll give it another try and only follow the pairs I like.

joined Feb 19, 2022

so i've read a lot of yuri on this site, but it wasn't until those angels with zephyr scans added a disclaimer to one of their manhuas that we got a resize button on dynasty and so that's been awesome. i think i'm current with everything from the last year or so but what are your recommendations for anything before that? i'm just looking for volume really, i've pretty much blead dry the archive of japanese manga so please the more the merrier

joined Feb 27, 2022

So I binged all of https://dynasty-scans.com/series/looking_up_to_magical_girls in one day and made this account just so I can find more stuff like it.

Could anyone recommend anything with same level of dysfunctional or otherwise atypical relationships?

D5164b27-cfaa-445d-9e4d-39ed256e1b0a
joined Mar 4, 2021

Pls recommend me yuri that you think would make me cry. So far i hv cried here reading ano koro no aoi hoshi and murasakino-sensei’s stuffs

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

This isn't a manga recommendation, but is there such a thing as yuri ASMR? I could use some.

Pls recommend me yuri that you think would make me cry. So far i hv cried here reading ano koro no aoi hoshi and murasakino-sensei’s stuffs

Have you read The Ends of a Dream yet?

last edited at Mar 6, 2022 11:26AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I Could Just Tell. Every single time, without fail.

joined Sep 25, 2019

Any recommendations for ongoing manga / tv / comics / whatever that aren't labeled Yuri / GL but which give a good vibe and seem to be heading in that direction?

Tumblr_pt8ll4hf781saqlhvo1_500
joined Mar 12, 2018

Any recommendations for ongoing manga / tv / comics / whatever that aren't labeled Yuri / GL but which give a good vibe and seem to be heading in that direction?

What do you mean by "heading in that direction" ? Like do you want to read/watch something where the relationship between the characters isn't the main plot ? Or something that's mostly subtext ?

last edited at Mar 6, 2022 4:23PM

RadiosAreObsolete
joined Mar 6, 2021

What do you mean by "heading in that direction" ? Like do you want to read/watch something where the relationship between the characters isn't the main plot ? Or something that's mostly subtext ?

If it's the first, there is Finding Wonderland on Webtoon. The art is great, the chemistry is great, the plot is engaging... I'd call it fantasy/adventure?
(Also, I just noticed there's no adventure genre on Webtoon? What's up with that? Webtoon calls it action, but I disagree)

To reply you must either login or sign up.