Forum › Yuri Manga Recommendations

D5164b27-cfaa-445d-9e4d-39ed256e1b0a
joined Mar 4, 2021

Have you read The Ends of a Dream yet?

I hv, thankss tho ^_^

I Could Just Tell. Every single time, without fail.

I felt like I hv seen it before, tho I’m not sure. Anw that was nice, tq!

last edited at Mar 7, 2022 10:04AM

joined Sep 25, 2019

What do you mean by "heading in that direction" ?

Either's fine, but tending towards the latter, I think? I think the term I'm looking for is "surprise Yuri". Just something where there is no label saying, "This is Yuri", but where you still feel it might end up having canon lesbians as the main couple.

At given points in the past, I might've said She-ra or Supergirl or Sleepless Domain or Akanesasu Shoujo, but those have all gone one way or the other by now.

I'm also still holding out faith for Fate/Kaleid, but that's probably just wistful thinking at this point

If it's the first, there is [Finding Wonderland] (https://m.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/finding-wonderland/list?titleno=2704&page=1&webtoon-platform-redirect=true)_ on Webtoon.

Already reading it, but this exactly! Absolutely agree on the art / chemistry and I'm interested to see what exactly the big picture plan is with The Ace trope.

Tumblr_pt8ll4hf781saqlhvo1_500
joined Mar 12, 2018

What do you mean by "heading in that direction" ?

Either's fine, but tending towards the latter, I think? I think the term I'm looking for is "surprise Yuri". Just something where there is no label saying, "This is Yuri", but where you still feel it might end up having canon lesbians as the main couple.

At given points in the past, I might've said She-ra or Supergirl or Sleepless Domain or Akanesasu Shoujo, but those have all gone one way or the other by now.

I'm also still holding out faith for Fate/Kaleid, but that's probably just wistful thinking at this point

If you're into supernatural, The Greenhouse is pretty fun. Dungeon Meshi is also very good and funny. Warrior nun is a TV show where the relationship between two main of characters is subtext-y. Carmen Sandiego, not the og but the one on Netflix, has some strong subtext and it got some really nice characters. Then there are the old classic animes such as Noir, El Cazador de la Bruja, Mai HiME/Mai Otome, Saki, Shinsekai Yori, Lyrical Nanoha.

last edited at Mar 7, 2022 3:41PM

joined Mar 5, 2022

can someone recommend me a yuri manga with more than 50 chapters? The most I've read before was less than 40, but maybe it's just me starting out with short yuri mangas. I found Hino-san no baka, but if there's any more yuri mangas that long I'd like to give it a read. I don't really have a genre I'm particularly fond of, so long as they're sfw or ecchi is minimized

last edited at Mar 9, 2022 10:47PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

can someone recommend me a yuri manga with more than 50 chapters? The most I've read before was less than 40, but maybe it's just me starting out with short yuri mangas. I found Hino-san no baka, but if there's any more yuri mangas that long I'd like to give it a read. I don't really have a genre I'm particularly fond of, so long as they're sfw or ecchi is minimized

A Room For Two
Kase-san + Yamada to Kase-san (technically at 49 chapters at the moment, but still ongoing)
Hana ni Arashi
Miss Sunflower
Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan
The Two of Them Are Pretty Much Like This
Living with My Brother's Wife.
Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita!
Slow Start
A-Channel
The Demon Girl Next Door
Fuzoroi no Renri
Tadokoro-san (web comic) / Tadokoro-san
Bright and Cheery Amnesia
Sasameki Koto
A Kiss And A White Lily
Citrus if you include Citrus +

And I have to add Bloom Into You as the greatest manga in existence, even if it's only 45 chapters (although the 5 extras do push it right up to the required 50)

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Any recommendations for ongoing manga / tv / comics / whatever that aren't labeled Yuri / GL but which give a good vibe and seem to be heading in that direction?

I've been reading one named Tsubame Tip Off that I noticed because it's tagged as GL on 'dex. There's no sign of yuri in the 20 chapters (out of at least twice as many) that are so far up in English scanlation, so if the tag is correct, I expect any romance to be secondary to the main sports plot.

Tsuki-chan Uploader
Unknown
Chads no Teikoku
joined Dec 18, 2013

Hello! I'm looking for a reccomendation of a yuri manga that is a slowburn, with a descreet amount of drama, that leads towards a sensual/sexual elements, not necessarily the ending. One example might be "Girfriends" but even stuff with bad endings could be good. The condition is that it shouldn't be explicit from the start.
Anything that comes to mind?

joined Aug 27, 2021

Hello! I'm looking for a reccomendation of a yuri manga that is a slowburn, with a descreet amount of drama, that leads towards a sensual/sexual elements, not necessarily the ending. One example might be "Girfriends" but even stuff with bad endings could be good. The condition is that it shouldn't be explicit from the start.

Have you tried "After school love affair"? Or "Please leave my house"? Btw both of this are on going

last edited at Mar 13, 2022 1:57PM

joined Feb 19, 2022

is please leave my house on dynasty or under an untranslated name? i can't find it in the directory

joined Mar 5, 2022

A Room For Two
Kase-san + Yamada to Kase-san (technically at 49 chapters at the moment, but still ongoing)
Hana ni Arashi
Miss Sunflower
Shinmai Shimai no Futari Gohan
The Two of Them Are Pretty Much Like This
Living with My Brother's Wife.
Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita!
Slow Start
A-Channel
The Demon Girl Next Door
Fuzoroi no Renri
Tadokoro-san (web comic) / Tadokoro-san
Bright and Cheery Amnesia
Sasameki Koto
A Kiss And A White Lily
Citrus if you include Citrus +

And I have to add Bloom Into You as the greatest manga in existence, even if it's only 45 chapters (although the 5 extras do push it right up to the required 50)

Thank you so much!!

Tsuki-chan Uploader
Unknown
Chads no Teikoku
joined Dec 18, 2013

Lonelygirl posted:

Have you tried "After school love affair"? Or "Please leave my house"? Btw both of this are on going

I would prefere something that's completed! But I'll look it up! Thanks!

Lol%20eiko
joined Mar 29, 2021

Been recently getting into the Touhou fandom (kind of late to the party) so any recs for Touhou doujin/oneshot works? Doesn't necessarily have to be yuri and also preferably something that explores character interactions and more on the serious/intense side of things (I do like a bit of angst here and there).

An example being Passion for your sake, which I recently stumbled upon was a pretty fun and painful read (in a good way).

Dont%20ruin%20your%20life%20stardom
joined Apr 21, 2020

is please leave my house on dynasty or under an untranslated name? i can't find it in the directory

It's not available here, but you can read it on mangadex.

Dont%20ruin%20your%20life%20stardom
joined Apr 21, 2020

For a while I've been biased against older yuri. It just seems consistently worse, less serious and certainly less in touch with lesbian themes. Akiko Morishima is completely the exception. I'm posting here to recommend specifically her Office Romance series, which is 10/10 for me every single chapter. While her works about teenagers are good, this is one is incredibly timeless and sweet, and it features luxurious wedding dress symbolism.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

heyman83 posted:

Been recently getting into the Touhou fandom (kind of late to the party) so any recs for Touhou doujin/oneshot works? Doesn't necessarily have to be yuri and also preferably something that explores character interactions and more on the serious/intense side of things (I do like a bit of angst here and there).

An example being Passion for your sake, which I recently stumbled upon was a pretty fun and painful read (in a good way).

Awesome. I would recommend anything by Shinoasa, very strong themes of romance and immortality. Eternity Crying Bird and Moon River (included on the same page) are very epic and explore the relationship between Kaguya and Mokou (and various others) in significant detail. Koge Masaki does a certain flavour of expressive comedy that I really enjoy, it is comedy though! It's been way too long for me to recommend too much of my very-dated favourites list beyond these, but there's a lot there already, I hope!

joined Jan 3, 2020

Wanted to briefly shout out The Girlfriend Project on Tapas (https://tapas.io/series/the-girlfriend-project) as being fantastic so far. Both the leads are great, too. Requires purchase past the 5th chapter, but I found it to be worth it.

My current favorite series is actually Bai Lijin Among Mortals (available on Bilibili Comics up to ch 70 and manga aggregators up to ch 112). The main couple in that are so good.

Both worth considering if you are somebody like me, who has devoured all Yuri that exists with such ferocity that there is nothing left, so any new title you do find is a precious resource.

last edited at Mar 25, 2022 2:41AM

joined Mar 5, 2022

Can anybody suggest a yuri manga with a historical setting? I've read Her tale of shim chong some time before and I was craving to read something similar but set in Japan.

joined Mar 7, 2022

Is there anything close to fluttering feelings by Ssamba (RIP). It's really my kind of slow burn, too bad the author wasn't able to finish such great work.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I read a whole article about this and yet I still came here unsure of what term I'm supposed to use (lol), but I'm looking for recommendations for novels involving F/F romance, without that meaning that the primary genre has to be romance though. I'm curious about adventure (in either a fantasy or realistic setting) and sci-fi stories, but historical drama or slice-of-life would also be good. I don't really mind the age of the characters, but I don't want an age gap romance. Incest is also out (note: step-sisters who haven't grown up together are okay). Oh, and no vampires/werewolves please. NSFW scenes are okay, but not as the main focus.

I'd rather it be available online ('cause I can't afford to have them in my library for a number of reasons...), so webnovels and amateur original works are more than welcome, as long as they are completed.

Separate from this, I'm also looking for stories involving sisters (again, not incest). This actually started because I watched Her Blue Sky recently, and I thought that the relationship between the two sisters was really sweet. No real restrictions for this one, just looking for some heart-warming sisterly love —not meaning that it can't have some angst too, of course. This request refers to manga, anime or novels of any genre.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

I read a whole article about this and yet I still came here unsure of what term I'm supposed to use (lol), but I'm looking for recommendations for novels involving F/F romance, without that meaning that the primary genre has to be romance though. I'm curious about adventure (in either a fantasy or realistic setting) and sci-fi stories, but historical drama or slice-of-life would also be good.

Not much LGBT romance pops up in my book readings but This Is How You Lose the Time War was pretty cool.

last edited at Mar 28, 2022 1:05AM

joined Jan 3, 2020

I read a whole article about this and yet I still came here unsure of what term I'm supposed to use (lol), but I'm looking for recommendations for novels involving F/F romance, without that meaning that the primary genre has to be romance though. I'm curious about adventure (in either a fantasy or realistic setting) and sci-fi stories, but historical drama or slice-of-life would also be good. I don't really mind the age of the characters, but I don't want an age gap romance. Incest is also out (note: step-sisters who haven't grown up together are okay). Oh, and no vampires/werewolves please. NSFW scenes are okay, but not as the main focus.

I'd rather it be available online ('cause I can't afford to have them in my library for a number of reasons...), so webnovels and amateur original works are more than welcome, as long as they are completed.

As for what to call it, there's a lot of answers and it usually depends on where it is from. Western fan fiction and amateur works often use F/F, femslash, or WLW. Western published novels tend to be under Lesbian Fiction (shortened to Lesfic by fans), though the Girls' Love (GL) term is finally gaining some ground outside amateur circles, especially on online platforms. Manga, manhua, and manhwa usually use Yuri (which you probably already know).

I've read a good 400 or so Lesfic novels in the past 5 years, more if we count amateur works. Personally, I tend to avoid fantasy and sci-fi settings in general because most of the Lesfic novels I've read in those subgenres are not particularly great. It seems like the genre isn't mature enough in this particular area, and even some of the mildly popular stuff feels like self-insert power fantasy, which can really take me out of things. That said, it's obviously not all bad (nor is this problem endemic to Lesfic, see popular mainstream titles like Ready Player One for non-GL examples).

Anyway, here's a few of my favorites that fit your requirements, spread out among different themes:
* The Lily and The Crown - One of my favorite Lesfic stories of all time, and it is even Sci-Fi. It manages to capture some really unique emotional spaces and situations, and it comes up in my thoughts periodically even years after reading it. There is a bit of age gap between the characters but... it isn't ever really relevant, and the younger lead is still in her 20s.
* Poppy Jenkins - Nice little romance novel about a quiet Welsh town.
* Chasing Stars - Superhero romance. Good change of pace.
* Gideon The Ninth - This is the least romance-focused suggestion, but it is so unique and interesting I would have considered reading it even if there wasn't any romance at all.
* About That Kiss - One of many Hollywood/actress-focused romance novels. This is my personal favorite of that setting.
* Tryst Six Venom - This is a really weird one because the leads start off hating each other so strongly. I almost stopped reading about a quarter of the way in, but it actually kind of became an odd favorite.

Also after typing up this post, I remembered there is a dedicated thread here for Lesbian Fiction in other media, which probably has a lot more book suggestions, though I do remember that it focused a lot on movies and TV shows.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

"Omae Gotoki ga Maou ni Kateru to Omouna" to Yuusha Party wo Tsuihou sareta node, Outo de Kimama ni Kurashitai

joined Jan 3, 2020

Yeah, that's a good one. If we're recommending light novels; A Lily Blooms in Another World is decent and I'm In Love With The Villainess is fantastic.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Not much LGBT romance pops up in my book readings but This Is How You Lose the Time War was pretty cool.

This one does seem like it could be kinda cool. It was interesting how you couldn't tell the gender of the characters from the description. (Also, I found out it's available in a store in my city, and now I'm getting very tempted to buy a physical copy...)

As for what to call it [...]

I kinda avoided the term lesbian fiction, because I thought it may seem restricted to lesbian-identifying women, which was not a requirement. I guess GL could have worked, but it didn't cross my mind since I've associated it with comics.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the recommendations (I'm happy they all had different themes as well) and also for telling me about the thread with lesfic in other media. I'll be sure to check them out!

@luinthoron
I'm guessing you used a shortened title to search for it and then copy-pasted the whole thing... right? RIGHT?? XD
I'll give it a try, thanks.

Yeah, that's a good one. If we're recommending light novels; A Lily Blooms in Another World is decent and I'm In Love With The Villainess is fantastic.

Seeing how much the manga of I'm in Love with the Villainess has irritated me already, I definitely need a break from that one, but I'll look into your other recommendation.

joined Aug 29, 2019

Can anybody suggest a yuri manga with a historical setting? I've read Her tale of shim chong some time before and I was craving to read something similar but set in Japan.

I started reading A Love Letter for the Marching Puppy last week and caught up with what's currently uploaded on Dynasty (the White Garden translation). Set in an early-20th-Century fictional all-female military academy, if that's historical enough for you. Has some of the cutest lead characters ever and so far has been pretty good. Kinda cliché but overall quite enjoyable.

To reply you must either login or sign up.