Forum › Whispering You a Love Song discussion

Dynasty%20profile%20v13
joined Apr 27, 2018

This is probably going to kill me...

joined Mar 15, 2017

You lot have got rather a distorted impression of this from reading it in translation. The word 一目惚れ does mean love at first sight but it's not wrong to use it how Himari used it about instantly becoming a fan. It can even be used for just objects - for example, in Long Riders it's the word used for Ami's reaction to the folding bike that gets her into cycling. Himari using it about a person made it liable to cause confusion. It's nothing to do with different ideas about love or Himari not understanding love.

joined Mar 29, 2019

Confuse screaming

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Back to the series itself, this is about the most contrived, can-only-exist-in-manga setup I've ever seen. I mean the audacity of running with the concept is a bit appealing, but wow.

The art's great though.

I don't really think it's "contrived". The aspect of "she's a lone wolf that only subbed for the real lead" is a bit contrived - for a high school band I would expect they would have to play together more to be be good. None of the other elements strike me as all that unusual... Lots of teenagers are in bands, light music clubs are a thing in Japan, falling in love at first sight happens more than you would think, and people getting way into musicians is so normal it's cliche. Not even rock stars, the "dating an otherwise useless person who plays in a band that isn't even successful" is cliche.

Even the "musician who has serious stage fright" thing is boringly normal. Go have out with some musicians, you will meet them - they're like the yin to the people who LOVE being on stage's yang.

It strikes me as an assembly of not particularly unusual things, rare that they would come together but that's about it.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

You lot have got rather a distorted impression of this from reading it in translation. The word 一目惚れ does mean love at first sight but it's not wrong to use it how Himari used it about instantly becoming a fan. It can even be used for just objects - for example, in Long Riders it's the word used for Ami's reaction to the folding bike that gets her into cycling. Himari using it about a person made it liable to cause confusion. It's nothing to do with different ideas about love or Himari not understanding love.

This is actually a really valuable point. I almost feel like it would benefit the translator to include a note about that.

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

I'm not sure if this is considered appropriate to discuss here, so if it isn't just feel free to remove my comment, but I found the typesetting/translation of pages 21 and 22 to be a little awkward.

First, it's strange that her friends lead with "Thi?" Yori isn't the first one to say this; Aki is. "Thi?" or even "think" seems to come out of nowhere here.

As you can see in the raw Japanese:

What her friends are actually saying is "su?" They aren't exactly trying to prompt Yori to finish a sentence she had partially began, at least not in the sense that they had some clue to what she was going to say next, but rather they are coercing her to say "suki" or in English, "I like her", the articulation of which is suggested by Aki herself. To me, this makes much more sense, because her friends are trying to insinuate that she likes the girl, not that she thinks that she likes the girl, which would be a somewhat strange thing to insinuate in the first place.

Then, when Yori actually says it, "suki" is alone in the first, large bubble, and it is followed by "kamo" in the second, smaller bubble. This puts emphasis on the "I like her" part of her sentence, and adds the "maybe" or "I think" part as a trailing afterthought. It's subtle, but I feel like it slightly affects the impact of the scene. If I were to translate it myself, I would have done something like have Aki say, "I? Li...?" followed by the other two girls saying "Li-?" and finally have the first bubble from Yori say, "Like her..." followed by the smaller bubble with smaller text say, "maybe..."

Again, I'm not sure if this is considered appropriate or on topic discussion, so if it isn't I apologize. The only reason I brought it up is because I recently took an interest to how the typesetting and formatting of manga/comic layouts affects the dramatization or comedy of scenes, and found this to be an interesting example of those subtleties that may go unnoticed, so I thought I would leave some constructive feedback. Either way, I'm grateful to the scanlators for the work they do, but find this kind of topic interesting, so I just wanted to throw in my two cents.

last edited at Jun 12, 2019 7:24PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Too bad Yori doesn’t speak Japanese.

If she did, she wouldn’t have misunderstood the girl, the same way we Westerners did.

joined Mar 15, 2017

If she did, she wouldn’t have misunderstood the girl, the same way we Westerners did.

Too bad you can't read English.

Like I said, using it about a person made it liable to cause confusion. Yori cottoned on to what Himari meant with just a little more context.

Jeanne Mathison
joined May 24, 2019

That's a really poor, bitter attempt at sarcasm
Worse, sarcasm aimed at someone who actually reads Japanese and totally went out of their way to bring us some really valuable information that clears up dialogue confusion and helps us understand what is really going on

So sad, shame on you

MidnightPumpkin
joined May 6, 2019

I don't see how it's a translation issue, all those points apply to English too. "When I went to buy my new car, I fell in love with this one at first sight." Himari not realizing that 一目惚れ and 惚れる have romantic implications is just as dumb in Japanese as it is in English.

last edited at Jun 12, 2019 7:51PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Too bad you can't read English.

Like I said, using it about a person made it liable to cause confusion. Yori cottoned on to what Himari meant with just a little more context.

Sorry, I apologize for being excessively snarky.

But Yori spends the whole first part of the chapter thinking “This ‘love’ business has nothing to do with me,” she ponders her “love” for singing, and then there’s the hilarious ball of confusion on the roof with Himari with the two of them talking at cross-purposes about “love at first sight.”

Even without a knowledge of Japanese it’s quite obvious that’s there’s more than just a vocabulary issue going on between the two of them concerning the meaning of “love.”

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

That was as lovely as the first chapter.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

I'm not sure if this is considered appropriate to discuss here, so if it isn't just feel free to remove my comment, but I found the typesetting/translation of pages 21 and 22 to be a little awkward.

First, it's strange that her friends lead with "Thi?" Yori isn't the first one to say this; Aki is. "Thi?" or even "think" seems to come out of nowhere here.

As you can see in the raw Japanese:

https://i.imgur.com/neKUDi5.png

What her friends are actually saying is "su?" They aren't exactly trying to prompt Yori to finish a sentence she had partially began, at least not in the sense that they had some clue to what she was going to say next, but rather they are coercing her to say "suki" or in English, "I like her", the articulation of which is suggested by Aki herself. To me, this makes much more sense, because her friends are trying to insinuate that she likes the girl, not that she thinks that she likes the girl, which would be a somewhat strange thing to insinuate in the first place.

Then, when Yori actually says it, "suki" is alone in the first, large bubble, and it is followed by "kamo" in the second, smaller bubble. This puts emphasis on the "I like her" part of her sentence, and adds the "maybe" or "I think" part as a trailing afterthought. It's subtle, but I feel like it slightly affects the impact of the scene. If I were to translate it myself, I would have done something like have Aki say, "I? Li...?" followed by the other two girls saying "Li-?" and finally have the first bubble from Yori say, "Like her..." followed by the smaller bubble with smaller text say, "maybe..."

Again, I'm not sure if this is considered appropriate or on topic discussion, so if it isn't I apologize. The only reason I brought it up is because I recently took an interest to how the typesetting and formatting of manga/comic layouts affects the dramatization or comedy of scenes, and found this to be an interesting example of those subtleties that may go unnoticed, so I thought I would leave some constructive feedback. Either way, I'm grateful to the scanlators for the work they do, but find this kind of topic interesting, so I just wanted to throw in my two cents.

This is 100% on topic and not only that: also an extremely interesting contribution to the discussion. Thank you! d( ͡^ ͜ʖ ͡^)b

I mentioned before that I have read up to chapter 4 in Spanish. Well, the Spanish scanlators (team Rainy Devil) did a perfect job of translating that bit. When Yori's three friends demand that Yori speaks out loud her feelings for Himari and Yori starts stammering, it goes on like this:
Yori: "No... a mí... pues..." (In English: No... I... err...)
Aki: "¿A tí qué? ¿Te gus...?" (In English: You what? You li...?)
Mari: "¿Te gus...?" (In English: You li...?)
Kaori: "¿Te gus...?" (In English: You li...?)
Yori: "Me gus..." (In English: I li...)

Then, when Yori actually says it, "Me gusta..." (I like her...) is alone in the first, large bubble, and it is followed by "Creo..." (I think...) in the second, smaller bubble.

Which is exactly what you said was the correct, literal way of translating Yori's words.

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

Back to the series itself, this is about the most contrived, can-only-exist-in-manga setup I've ever seen. I mean the audacity of running with the concept is a bit appealing, but wow.

The art's great though.

I don't really think it's "contrived". The aspect of "she's a lone wolf that only subbed for the real lead" is a bit contrived - for a high school band I would expect they would have to play together more to be be good...

To be fair, we never really hear anyone say they were good. Himari says she, "[Doesn't] know whether it was good or bad" (which in my experience, it's pretty common for people with no musical knowledge to have a hard time judging the quality of a live performance, due to how much is going on in one at once, so that feels pretty realistic); Miki just seems to be excited about her sister rather than the performance itself; Aki says that it was their best one yet, which could imply a few things; and Yori just says that it was pretty bad.

So overall, their performance seemed to be mediocre at best, and as someone who has experience playing in bands that I've been a part of, and filling in for other people's missing band members, if Yori's just playing rhythm and vocals, it shouldn't be too hard to fill in, especially if it's kept simple and on ranges that Yori's comfortable with.

What I would expect people to find contrived is the whole "sudden fan thing", and the overall interactions between Yori and Himari, but again, as someone who has personally been on the end of ambiguous words of praise after a performance, it felt fairly natural to me, so I'd agree with you here.

Tfwubestgirl
joined Aug 16, 2015

I'm not sure if this is considered appropriate to discuss here...

This is 100% on topic and not only that: also an extremely interesting contribution to the discussion. Thank you! d( ͡^ ͜ʖ ͡^)b

I mentioned before that I have read up to chapter 4 in Spanish. Well, the Spanish scanlators (team Rainy Devil) did a perfect job of translating that bit. When Yori's three friends demand that Yori speaks out loud her feelings for Himari and Yori starts stammering, it goes on like this:
Yori: "No... a mí... pues..." (In English: No... I... err...)
Aki: "¿A tí qué? ¿Te gus...?" (In English: You what? You li...?)
Mari: "¿Te gus...?" (In English: You li...?)
Kaori: "¿Te gus...?" (In English: You li...?)
Yori: "Me gus..." (In English: I li...)

Then, when Yori actually says it, "Me gusta..." (I like her...) is alone in the first, large bubble, and it is followed by "Creo..." (I think...) in the second, smaller bubble.

Which is exactly what you said was the correct, literal way of translating Yori's words.

Oh, well thanks for the affirmation :) I agree; I don't speak Spanish, but that looks and sounds like a very accurate translation.

last edited at Jun 12, 2019 9:25PM

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Well, so far this is… run-of-the-mill to say the least, although the music element is a welcome touch. I like all the characters except Himari, which could be a problem, even if Yori alone more than compensates.

The art's definitely cute.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

Zexalfan posted:

pretty nice so far~ looking foward to see where it goes.
Anybody knows how many chapters are already out?

In spanish you can find it up the ch04 and I don't think they're behind Japan releases

Thanks for the reply!
I just checked the other two chapter in "tumanga", and Yori alone sold me more than what I already was! looking foward to the fifth chapter and beyond!

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Yeah, thanks Zexalfan, I also saw the other 2 and all I gonna say is my heart wasn't ready

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

Two aggressive, useless lesbians. Might be worth giving it a few chapters. Seems pretty lighthearted, so can't hurt.

Why does reading the last sentence on this scare the living daylights out of me?

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

So it really was more believable in the Japanese text. It's still a very overdone cliche, but as long as the focus shifts to Yori trying to woo her airhead crush it's fine.

joined Mar 20, 2012

Could someone please post a link to where to read it in Spanish? Se ve demasiado bueno <3

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

Could someone please post a link to where to read it in Spanish? Se ve demasiado bueno <3

https://tmofans.com/library/manga/43745/whispering-you-a-love-song

Es muy precioso en mi opinion~

Faye_valentine_2
joined Jan 31, 2013

The art is beautiful and the premise have future both characters are sweet.
The art though...

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

This manga is gonna be good.
I do think we do need to add the comedy tag, tho.
Also, the kouhai is denser than a strangelet!

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Is a "transparent" voice really a compliment...? Maybe that was supposed to be clear?

This page
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/whispering_you_a_love_song_ch03#18
sure was a mood whiplash for Kino. I didn't think she had any other modes aside from genki-go-lucky.

last edited at Jun 14, 2019 3:12PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.