Forum › Whispering You a Love Song discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

When I think of SS I remember those shota fanart implications memes ... That I never knew why they call it SS too but well, we can all agree that it was a bad name outside Japan lo/

It's a reference to "Straight Shota", as distinct from Yaoi Shota.

If I was going to guess, I'd bet (others are correct that) the band name is probably a boat reference. Leaving aside the accidental Nazi association, it's actually a pretty cute name for a girl band.

If we but lived in a more innocent time...

last edited at Jun 12, 2019 12:47PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

The word ignorant has meanings that confer a lack of education or intelligence, while oblivious is more neutral. Ignorant is more often used as an insult. I choose my words very deliberately, and when you quote someone you are supposed to use their own words.

And if your point stands, then I'm not understanding what your point is. If the author did not consider the Nazi association of the acronym, which I doubt they did, they are, by definition, oblivious to the implications. That doesn't mean they're "ignorant" of Nazi history or why Nazis are bad, or anything like that, it just means they weren't paying any attention to the possible association. They clearly didn't mean it as a Nazi reference, it's just a little unfortunate that they chose a name that has that association.

Why are we arguing about this?

Well it's a good thing I didn't quote you then.

My point, as you should have easily garnered, was that this abbreviation has no Nazi connotations in daily use. It's used for literally thousands of other things. The author is not oblivious , because there was never any reason to associate it with Nazis in the first place. It was neither an issue nor an oversight. Only some random people on the internet here would even come to that conclusion. Satisfied?

You can stop any time.

lord-of-roses
Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

When I think of SS I remember those shota fanart implications memes ... That I never knew why they call it SS too but well, we can all agree that it was a bad name outside Japan lo/

That one stands for Straight Shota. Guess that means "vanilla" shota is usually a yaoi trope.

Anyways, while it's fascinating to discuss whether the band name implies its members are into nazism, little boys, or KanColle, I'd say we better focus on the other stuff that happened, like Yori's friends supporting her first lesbian crush, or how cute her fascination for cats and cat merchandise is. Besides, either the name is important, and we'll be given an official meaning, or it isn't, and arguing about it is counterproductive.

joined Apr 6, 2019

Anyways, while it's fascinating to discuss whether the band name implies its members are into nazism, little boys, or KanColle, I'd say we better focus on the other stuff that happened.

Perhaps we could ask Nezchan to tell BugDevil & company to take the debate on Nazism to the cafe ⚊ and stop clogging this thread with off-topic political blather?

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

The word ignorant has meanings that confer a lack of education or intelligence, while oblivious is more neutral. Ignorant is more often used as an insult. I choose my words very deliberately, and when you quote someone you are supposed to use their own words.

And if your point stands, then I'm not understanding what your point is. If the author did not consider the Nazi association of the acronym, which I doubt they did, they are, by definition, oblivious to the implications. That doesn't mean they're "ignorant" of Nazi history or why Nazis are bad, or anything like that, it just means they weren't paying any attention to the possible association. They clearly didn't mean it as a Nazi reference, it's just a little unfortunate that they chose a name that has that association.

Why are we arguing about this?

Well it's a good thing I didn't quote you then.

(collapse) You literally used quotation marks around the word "ignorant" when referencing me. That's what quoting is.

My point, as you should have easily garnered, was that this abbreviation has no Nazi connotations in daily use. It's used for literally thousands of other things. The author is not oblivious , because there was never any reason to associate it with Nazis in the first place. It was neither an issue nor an oversight. Only some random people on the internet here would even come to that conclusion. Satisfied?

I'm curious, and this is not (just) a rhetorical device, I would honestly like to know: When you google "SS" what comes up first? Because I know what it is with me, but Google's algorithm might be biased because I get in a lot of fights with Nazis. the Schutzstaffel is the top result on Urban dictionary. In fact it's near the top of most lists I can find. So while I can find lists of literally hundreds (not "literally thousands", that's how quoting works BTW) of options, the SS is either at the top or near the top of every list,

So it is definitely a fact that the Nazi ref is a possible meaning of "SS". Yet regardless, the author chose to use the band name "SS Girls". Now as I said, from context, it seems clear that the author is not trying to make a Nazi reference. Which means they were either unaware of the fact that "SS" is often a Nazi reference or they were unconcerned with the fact that some people see "SS Girls" as possibly meaning "Girls of the SS" instead of "a ship of girls". Either way, by definition, they are behaving as if they are oblivious to the possible association which definitely factually exists. That isn't an insult, criticism, or value judgement, like you seem to think it is. It's just an observation.

That's why I asked why we're arguing about it. It's like I said the sky is blue and you came out with "well actually sometimes the sky can be orange, red, purple, or even gray" and...yeah? Sure?

SS can mean other things. I agree.

?

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Anyways, while it's fascinating to discuss whether the band name implies its members are into nazism, little boys, or KanColle, I'd say we better focus on the other stuff that happened.

Perhaps we could ask Nezchan to tell BugDevil & company to take the debate on Nazism to the cafe ⚊ and stop clogging this thread with off-topic political blather?

It's not really political, though. I mean, it's kind of arguable how on-topic it is, but I'm done now anyway. I'm just trying to be clear about what I was (and wasn't) saying in the first place.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Actually, AFAIKT, as the article BugDevil linked to suggests, Japan has never used the “SS” convention for naming ships, or more precisely, the ship prefix.

They tended to use the “-maru” suffix for merchant vessels, and no prefix for naval vessels, although Western writers often attach “IJN” (for “Imperial Japanese Navy).

The point is simple, and has no real bearing on the story’s meaning itself—the Nazi connotation is unlikely, but it’s not crazy to think of it.

last edited at Jun 12, 2019 2:25PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

That one stands for Straight Shota. Guess that means "vanilla" shota is usually a yaoi trope.

Anyways, while it's fascinating to discuss whether the band name implies its members are into nazism, little boys, or KanColle, I'd say we better focus on the other stuff that happened, like Yori's friends supporting her first lesbian crush, or how cute her fascination for cats and cat merchandise is. Besides, either the name is important, and we'll be given an official meaning, or it isn't, and arguing about it is counterproductive.

I agree with all of this.

I actually think the meaning of the band is probably pretty straight forward. They ship the girls. (but again, I agree it's probably not a big deal)

last edited at Jun 12, 2019 2:29PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

(collapse) You literally used quotation marks around the word "ignorant" when referencing me. That's what quoting is.

Quotation marks are used for many things. For example if I say that sure sounds great, you take it as it is. If I write: That sure sounds "great", you see it as sarcastic or different from its actual meaning. I paraphrased what you said, not actually quoted it. If I wanna quote something I usually do.

I'm curious, and this is not (just) a rhetorical device, I would honestly like to know: When you google "SS" what comes up first?

United States Social Security Filing. No joke.

Either way, by definition, they are behaving as if they are oblivious to the possible association which definitely factually exists. That isn't an insult, criticism, or value judgement, like you seem to think it is. It's just an observation.

Or they are purposely ignoring it, because it is irrelevant. A person is not oblivious just because they ignore a different irrelevant context. Your sky comparison is irrelevant too, because there are only a couple of sky colors, but in this case SS has thousands, which are all used far more commonly than SturmStaffel. There is probably a soda with SS on it and most students would associate it more with that than some historical fact. This sure is dumb.
PS: If you are done with a topic... don't ask questions in the same reply.
PPS: I am done for real tho.

last edited at Jun 12, 2019 2:35PM

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Damn dense kouhai. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE LILLIES!

bubbleteabird
F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

I really enjoyed these past two chapters. It is interesting to witness the inception of a relationship where one girl uses the phrase love so casually and freely, and one girl who was not interested in love before. I wonder how the latter will be able to confess her feelings to the former without them being misunderstood again as something as innocent as fanfare

last edited at Jun 12, 2019 2:36PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

On a different note, Miki-chan's sister is the leader of the band, huh? Aki was it?
They sure don't look alike.

EDIT: Wait... they both have beauty marks. Miki-chan below her mouth and Aki next to her eye. Interesting.

last edited at Jun 12, 2019 2:43PM

Images
joined Apr 1, 2018

You know, how do you fuck up a confession that bad? What a chump. This girl must drink a lotta soylent. How can I read a manga with such a spineless mc?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

The Nazi thing was played out at least three pages ago, so if I see any more of it from here forward I'll just delete it on sight.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The Nazi thing was played out at least three pages ago, so if I see any more of it from here forward I'll just delete it on sight.

I guess this wouldn’t be the moment to jokingly call you a N . . . I’m not, I’m not—I didn’t!

Seriously. Not at all.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I guess this wouldn’t be the moment to jokingly call you a N . . . I’m not, I’m not—I didn’t!

Seriously. Not at all.

Indeed, that moment may never come.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Back to the series itself, this is about the most contrived, can-only-exist-in-manga setup I've ever seen. I mean the audacity of running with the concept is a bit appealing, but wow.

The art's great though.

joined Feb 23, 2016

Oooo~ even if this really a typical manga story, i would like to see the story

bubbleteabird
F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

I think the definition of love will be a major focal point of the manga. I predict that different characters will have different perspectives on and definitions for love.

Untitled%20(3)
joined Jan 7, 2019

What the hell is wrong with this manga, THIS IS TOO CUTE.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Back to the series itself, this is about the most contrived, can-only-exist-in-manga setup I've ever seen. I mean the audacity of running with the concept is a bit appealing, but wow.

So far it strikes strikes me as a quick-moving version of the not uncommon “Idiot #1 and Idiot #2 Can’t Understand Each Other” miscommunication-fest (that is we just get the confession part up front).

But senpai shows signs of being more proactive than that, maybe.

last edited at Jun 12, 2019 5:37PM

Untitled%20(3)
joined Jan 7, 2019

So far it strikes strikes me as a quick-moving version of the not uncommon “Idiot #1 and Idiot #2 Can’t Understand Each Other” miscommunication-fest (that is we just get the confession part up front).

But senpai shows signs of being more proactive than that, maybe.

Well, at the very least, Senpai knows that she indeed love kouhai in a romantic way, while kouhai on the other hand, is a real idiot who prolly doesn't exactly know what is "love".

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Nezchan posted:

The art's great though.

I was interesting to see if they could make it work somehow so I was really looking forward to ch2... now I have to wait for ch3 to see if they REALLY make it work, I mean, now she has an entire team of intelligence and backup to support her love... She has to make it work.

But well, my guess is that she's gonna confess again if she feels that the feeling is mutual, so that's a lot of love song she gonna have to write to penetrate that dense skull of diamond

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

But well, my guess is that she's gonna confess again if she feels that the feeling is mutual, so that's a lot of love song she gonna have to write to penetrate that dense skull of diamond

We must really be on the same page today—I all but included a crack about senpai needing to rent a jackhammer in my previous post.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

I think the definition of love will be a major focal point of the manga. I predict that different characters will have different perspectives on and definitions for love.

As one who has read up to chapter 4, I can vouch that your prediction is dead on. ^^

Coming next, different perspectives on and definitions for "going on a date."

To reply you must either login or sign up.