Forum › Boyish Girlfriend discussion

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

I think it's an intentional point that the author made-especially exemplified by this last chapter, that people push the trope of a girl being a replacement for a boy and that being a problem in and of itself. So this manga is to combat the overall idea.

It does seem to make a big plot point out of it, and I like that the author gently brought up the common misunderstanding of "dynamics" (ie: "aren't you a bot? can't you let her handle that?) within a same-sex relationship

not going into too much of it, but I enjoyed the "reversal"

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

See, this is why I fucking love reading this.

38611606_p02
joined Feb 17, 2019

I am sorry I am pissed off, but the fact that the title emphasizes that one partner is “boyish” pisses me off. They are still girls. Who happen to have short hair and seem less feminine... they are not pretending to be men.

The hell... ? And here I thought that the "tomboy" tag was a rare thing...

last edited at Mar 23, 2019 12:11PM

joined Jul 20, 2011

It reminds me of this one:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/bo

Bo? Looks like the paste went bad.

A%20%20gallery_compress77
joined Jan 11, 2019

XD

24-1
joined Sep 21, 2011

... That moment when you are desperate enough to ask your SO's sibling for advice on how to have sex... LoL

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Btw, is there any word for reverse Pillow Princess?

... Power Bottom?

.... >_>

last edited at Mar 26, 2019 3:09PM

Ds6osxcvsaabln5
joined Dec 13, 2017

... Power Bottom?

.... >_>

But isn't that when you are the bottom but you have the control? You'd still be the bottom. I'm talking about tops who are the opposite of Pillow Princess. Like the people who never like to bottom...

...Now I'm really confused.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Boobs are true love.

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

I think I might just die from cuteness overload.

joined Apr 6, 2019

Kazuki uses Boobs!
It's super effective!

Ohno
joined Nov 13, 2018

... Power Bottom?

.... >_>

But isn't that when you are the bottom but you have the control? You'd still be the bottom. I'm talking about tops who are the opposite of Pillow Princess. Like the people who never like to bottom...

...Now I'm really confused.

A service top? It’s not just a top who likes topping but a top who gains satisfaction in making sure their partner is getting off.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

A "pillow princess" is someone who lets her partner do everything and doesn't reciprocate, because she prefers to receive sexual stimulation more than she does to give it.

The opposite/reverse/whateverwordfits would be someone who likes to give sexual pleasure to her partner but doesn't let her partner do anything for her. I don't know if there's a specific term for them.

You see, there are people like that, but it's a rather unusual fetish... and fictional characters with that fetish are rare as well. I remember one in a short oneshot by Akiko Morishima (and she didn't last long, heh heh heh).

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

I’m going to be straight with yall here

(I'm a bad person, I know. I just couldn't resist that low-hanging fruit...)

I agree with you that the boy/girl dynamic being assumed is "normal" is a load of garbage. And it's lazy writing when an author treats that as the default. However! I don't think that's quite what's going on here, and it hasn't been from the very start.

I think Kazuki being "boyish" was actually because she thought it needed to be that way. Her previous girlfriends all dumped her because, basically, she wasn't a "good enough replacement" for a guy.

Obviously Hime starts out mistaking Kazuki for a guy, and falling for her as a guy. Even so, when Hime finds out Kazuki's a girl, she still ends up loving her with hardly any hesitation. As early as chapter two, Hime displays that she loves the feminine Kazuki just as much, and possibly even more.

Honestly, Hime has only shown immense love and pride for Kazuki as her girlfriend. If you look at chapters 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 9, they all have Hime being attracted to Kazuki the girl, instead of just the "cool" Kazuki. Also boobs.

In a way it could be argued that the whole premise of the manga is a repudiation of the notion that a relationship naturally has to have a masculine/feminine structure.

TL;DR, Kazuki's previous relationships followed the man/woman thing all the way through and didn't work. This relationship started that way by mistake and is now much better without it.

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

... Can we please stop bringing arguments about real-life gender politics (including "boy/girl dynamic =/= normal" arguments, which more or less makes little sense to me in spite of me generally sympathizing with feminism and transgender rights) into discussion threads about stories that aren't explicitly about gender politics?! It's fine to comment on the relevance of specific happenings in the story to real-life issues, but I come here to discuss wholesome stories to give my mind some peace from Real Life's toils and misery, not to expose myself to people venting their anger and offense about their subjective presumptions of what the author's beliefs actually are based on arguably quite tenuous evidence. If I wanted to give myself migraines by engaging in arguments on gender politics, I'd go to a thread that's explicitly dedicated to it.

last edited at Apr 9, 2019 10:49PM

__kasodani_kyouko_touhou_drawn_by_uguisu_mochi_ykss35__6c703c362e7ad06d13079154bccd4fae
joined Jul 11, 2017

Oppai momu always wipes away one's worry, and train of thought for that matter

Quiescent-Rose
Tumblr_lxr5uv8e8n1qeoztuo1_500
joined Aug 13, 2018

Ok this idea of boy-girl assigned dynamics between lesbians is pissing me off. I’m going to be straight with yall here and tell you that I am the kind of lesbian who dates girls for their femininity. Authors who feel like every lesbian is assigned a “male or female” dynamic piss me the f off and they are just stereotyping us. There are lesbians who are attracted to other “feminine” women too. Why can’t straight people realize that homosexuals are just people, not some animals at a freak show?

I am sorry I am pissed off, but the fact that the title emphasizes that one partner is “boyish” pisses me off. They are still girls. Who happen to have short hair and seem less feminine... they are not pretending to be men.

I’m not expert, but I’m pretty sure a significant cause for the prevalence of this sort of boyish x feminine pairing is a result of the Takarazuka Revue, an all female musical theatre troupe dating back to the early 1900’s in which the actresses would be split into male and female roles, Otokoyaku and Musumeyaku, and generally pair up. The otokoyaku actresses would cut their hair short and act and speak more masculinely, which is likely what formed that boyish female prince like character type.

Osamu Tezuka, aka the father of manga, grew up in Takarazuka watching their plays which inspired him to write Princess Knight which then inspired and influenced other manga such as the Rose of Versailles, Revolutionary Girl Utena, and Sailor Moon.

There’s also been scandals and controversies of love letters from women being written to otokoyaku and a lesbian relationship between an otokoyaku and musumeyaku.

It’s such a huge part of Japanese cultural history (and present) that I’m not surprised it’s influences are still ingrained in manga, though there’s certainly been more subversions of that lately.

4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

... Can we please stop bringing arguments about real-life gender politics (including "boy/girl dynamic =/= normal" arguments, which more or less makes little sense to me in spite of me generally sympathizing with feminism and transgender rights) into discussion threads about stories that aren't explicitly about gender politics?! It's fine to comment on the relevance of specific happenings in the story to real-life issues, but I come here to discuss wholesome stories to give my mind some peace from Real Life's toils and misery, not to expose myself to people venting their anger and offense about their subjective presumptions of what the author's beliefs actually are based on arguably quite tenuous evidence. If I wanted to give myself migraines by engaging in arguments on gender politics, I'd go to a thread that's explicitly dedicated to it.

Nothing references anything and neither context nor historicity exist.

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

Very cute chapter, this manga always delivers.

HazmatChiefAlsimi
joined Feb 9, 2019

Great chapter and woah. She just let her grab her boobs to make her feel better.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Boobs are never wrong. Sure you love many things about her, but there is nothing wrong with appreciating them.
Which makes it just more dubious that Hime ever thought she was straight lol

last edited at Apr 10, 2019 5:21AM

joined Aug 9, 2018

now there will be the crossover with "Sekai de Ichiban Oppai ga Suki"... X3

Madeleinedupris
joined Apr 8, 2019

This story is so cute! I love how that the butch is not the stereotyped man-substitute or “male role” you often run into in yuri manga. She is very much a girl, her own person, and I like all the subtle hints.

last edited at Apr 10, 2019 6:08AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Great chapter and woah. She just let her grab her boobs to make her feel better.

Made. Made her grab her boobs. And it worked!

now there will be the crossover with "Sekai de Ichiban Oppai ga Suki"... X3

That "Boobs!" in the middle of Hime's thoughts certainly reminded me of Chiaki. :D

joined Mar 18, 2018

This so called "boyish" girlfriend is more girly that the "Girly" girlfriend

To reply you must either login or sign up.