Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

SuperBaconPants
joined Sep 30, 2019

I don’t really see what these chapters are accomplishing. Kaoru clearly doesn’t like Uta romantically and she also doesn’t seem to have the slightest intent of breaking up, so... what’s next? I feel like this manga ended a while ago.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

she also doesn’t seem to have the slightest intent of breaking up

That's a lie she believe because she is a coward. I wish Tmnr make Kaoru more than a sobbing blob

joined Dec 5, 2019

Now I want Uta and Risako to meet each other and realize they've been crushing on the same streight girl(apparently).
Maybe they can heal each other, god knows Risako is a mess and doesn't know how to handle her feelings and Uta is just learning how to deal with hers

last edited at May 2, 2020 1:53PM

joined Mar 25, 2019

I hope the ending won't end up in three way or else I would really disappoint

joined May 20, 2013

i wonder what kind of ending will this manga have

at first i thought “sure, Uta will end up with Kaoru eventually, after they build their relationship and stuff” it would be a predictable ending, yes, but it would mean that at least the manga “told a story” uknow like Uta and Kaoru started this way, and now theyre THAT way

but it really doesnt look like the ending will have them together so i wonder what’s the author trying to achieve with this series with their characters staying pretty much the same way? I mean, that’s wrong to say bc they sure had development but its kind of underwhelming for a romance story.

It's a good question why the Romance tag is there. Not much of that can be seen. Rather, it's turning into an unrequited love triangle (the three adults) with Uta as an extra.

herenowforever
Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

I don’t really see what these chapters are accomplishing. Kaoru clearly doesn’t like Uta romantically and she also doesn’t seem to have the slightest intent of breaking up, so... what’s next? I feel like this manga ended a while ago.

You might even get Risako x Uta and Reiichi x Kaoru ending. At least that would be compatible in terms of orientation, if we are to believe what we've seen so far. :p

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I wish Tmnr make Kaoru more than a sobbing blob

She's been quivering at the point of becoming something else several times.

Hasn't happened yet, though.

seungwanderlust
joined Dec 23, 2017

"Unrequited Love" really is looking more and more like the best possible title for this series.

Yeah I had a thought just now that was like, “Well. What if no one ends up together?” Actually now that I think about it, everyone’s feelings are one-sided.

joined Sep 6, 2018

I wish Kaoru would soon realize that Reiich was cheating on her with With so-called friend Risako.

I wish we had actual evidence that this so-called cheating happened.

Check comments. The evidence was inferred by mangaka. It happened after she broke her ankle and she made a text to her husband then she was called immediately by a co-worker of her husband.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I wish Kaoru would soon realize that Reiich was cheating on her with With so-called friend Risako.

Check comments. The evidence was inferred by mangaka. It happened after she broke her ankle and she made a text to her husband then she was called immediately by a co-worker of her husband.

I am sorry, but as everyone who has replied to me admits themselves, that is pretty weak and indirect as evidence goes. Especially because the motivations of all involved drift further away from that conclusion.

At this point those seem more like red herrings. Not that I will exclude the possibility that the cheating happened, I just will never take it for granted like a lot of people have been doing for a long long time.

F0c1c7ea6c0d24b021d03256f2c658f6
joined Oct 9, 2019

I wish this story was Kaoru realize Reiich was cheating on her and they divorced. And boom! Kaoru fell in love with uta and they live together forever! THE END

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I am sorry, but as everyone who has replied to me admits themselves, that is pretty weak and indirect as evidence goes. Especially because the motivations of all involved drift further away from that conclusion.

At this point those seem more like red herrings. Not that I will exclude the possibility that the cheating happened, I just will never take it for granted like a lot of people have been doing for a long long time.

So you deny the existence of "emotional infidelity"?

Even if the explanation from Reiichi would be, "I sometimes need to meet with Risako and unburden myself emotionally about how much I love Kaoru but I find that I somehow can't express it directly to her" (yeah, that would be total bullshit, but hypothetically), that's a form of cheating.

Unless you just want to build a fortress definition of what "cheating" is and defend it so you "win," of course.

BakemonoJoker
11987161_1662992157250246_4752483831939925755_n
joined Jun 20, 2014

that bitch loves Uta and won't even notice it , it's enraging >:0 , she has this stupid ideiia she loves that guy when she actualy dosen't

BakemonoJoker
11987161_1662992157250246_4752483831939925755_n
joined Jun 20, 2014

what @Blastaar said is the stupidest bullshit i ever heard , that using another person's help as a psyhologist is cheating , go f**k yourself , how can you get that dumb

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

what @Blastaar said is the stupidest bullshit i ever heard , that using another person's help as a psyhologist is cheating , go f**k yourself , how can you get that dumb

I see that you do deny the existence of "emotional infidelity with an ex-girlfriend."

And the existence of spelling, too.

Lejupiel%c4%81de
joined Jan 18, 2018

I've come to a point where I dislike Kaoru so much that I even feel sorry for Reichi being together with her. I don't want Uta to end up with Kaoru. Sorry.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Unless Reiichi has actually cheated or it gets revealed he did something bad, I don't see him as an awful person.
Even if he isn't in love with Kaoru, he still cared to a degree about her and married her. Unless Risako just told him to marry her or something.
The fact that he is forgetful, seems to be a part of his character as a whole.
Kaoru is a simple woman to say the least, so I don't really feel like she should/could be with someone much better than him.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Even if the explanation from Reiichi would be, "I sometimes need to meet with Risako and unburden myself emotionally about how much I love Kaoru but I find that I somehow can't express it directly to her" (yeah, that would be total bullshit, but hypothetically), that's a form of cheating.

Unless you just want to build a fortress definition of what "cheating" is and defend it so you "win," of course.

I tend to put more weight on feelings than the average reader and even I feel like "emotional infedility" is a huge stretch on the concept of cheating. Especially if said "infedelity" is not about wanting to get with another woman, just like in your exaggerated example. Seeking emotional support from others cannot be considered cheating in my opinion. We would have to create some fictional ruleset where a partner is obliged to share their emotional burden/worries with their partner only. Would you consider that reasonable in the slightest?

Kind of underhanded of you to poison the well there at the end to force me to either agree with your definition or appear like a victory obssessed stickler if I don't.

last edited at May 2, 2020 3:54PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I tend to put more weight on feelings than the average reader and even I feel like "emotional infedility" is a huge stretch on the concept of cheating. Especially if said "infedelity" is not about wanting to get with another woman, just like in your exaggerated example. Seeking emotional support from others cannot be considered cheating in my opinion. We would have to create some fictional ruleset where a partner is obliged to share their emotional burden/worries with their partner only. Would you consider that reasonable in the slightest?

Kind of underhanded of you to poison the well there at the end to force me to either agree with your definition or appear like a victory obssessed stickler if I don't.

It's not like I made something up; just Google the phrase:

"What is the definition of emotional infidelity? ... Basically, emotional affairs occur when one partner is channeling physical or emotional energy, time and attention into someone other than the person they are in a committed relationship with to the point that their partner feels neglected."

• Does Kaoru feel emotionally intimate with Reiichi?
  • Is there open communication between Kaoru and Reiichi about their emotional states?
  • Does Kaoru feel neglected?
  • Is Reiichi involved in a secret or semi-secret connection with Risako?

Sure, the boundaries of what counts are more vague, and more specific to individual couples, than genital insertion might be, but there's no reason to act like this is some outlandish concept regarding relationships.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

It's not like I made something up; just Google the phrase:

"What is the definition of emotional infidelity? ... Basically, emotional affairs occur when one partner is channeling physical or emotional energy, time and attention into someone other than the person they are in a committed relationship with to the point that their partner feels neglected."

• Does Kaoru feel emotionally intimate with Reiichi?
  • Is there open communication between Kaoru and Reiichi about their emotional states?
  • Does Kaoru feel neglected?
  • Is Reiichi involved in a secret or semi-secret connection with Risako?

Sure, the boundaries of what counts are more vague, and more specific to individual couples, than genital insertion might be, but there's no reason to act like this is some outlandish concept regarding relationships.

I never doubted the term's existence, it's more that the very idea always striked me as academic at best. A high concept form of cheating if you will. Not very applicable to reality and certainly not relevant to what the general reader would consider cheating. What if that person you invest "emotional energy and attention" into is a family member? Are you cheating on your girlfriend with your mother if you are focusing on the latter more than the former?

How often does Reiichi actually meet Risako? We only know of two times. Would Reiichi not neglect Kaoru if he didn't meet Risako? With too many variables and unknowns "emotional infedelity" ends at the same dead end as regular cheating. Not conclusive.

last edited at May 2, 2020 4:24PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well, we started with "not conclusive" and I suppose we end there. We'd probably agree that the term would apply if Reiichi were shown to be seeking an emotional connection with Risako that he wasn't getting, or wasn't interested in getting, from Kaoru.

As usual, our understanding of this story and several of its main characters is seriously hindered by the withholding of information and insights on the part of the author.

Ironically, I'd say the only character who we really know on a significantly deeper level than we did at the start is Risako.

(And maybe Konatsu, the bi sex girl.)

EDIT: And you know, secret meetings with exes--maybe not conclusive, but strong circumstantial evidence.

last edited at May 2, 2020 4:53PM

joined Jul 12, 2018

I've come to a point where I dislike Kaoru so much that I even feel sorry for Reichi being together with her. I don't want Uta to end up with Kaoru. Sorry.

thank you! i thought i was the only one! jeez uta! stop babysitting kaoru! this is NOT your JOB!!!

last edited at May 2, 2020 5:07PM

joined May 1, 2013

Uta: (thinking) Huh, she sure does go along with whatever's easiest, and she's basically screaming for help about that. I should be careful not to give her an out where she just falls back into old patterns.

Uta: (speaking) I think you'll love my brother and be happy living here with him forever!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Uta: (thinking) Huh, she sure does go along with whatever's easiest, and she's basically screaming for help about that. I should be careful not to give her an out where she just falls back into old patterns.

Uta: (speaking) I think you'll love my brother and be happy living here with him forever!

Maybe I'm just being dense today, but I really don't know what in the hell is going on in that scene.

After the "it's no big deal" part, and through the whole time Kaoru is actually unburdening herself, Uta seems to be leading up to some kind of "go for it--be honest with Reiichi so you can move on with your life" advice crescendo. Then:

"Try to do what you can for now." What does that even mean?

If this were an entirely different kind of series, I'd almost think Uta was saying, "What a relief it wasn't my fault you were suffering--now fuck off with my cheating brother and leave me alone."

That's a bit too much to hope for, though, I'm almost positive.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I can attest that "emotional infidelity" does not only exists in theory, it's something a lot of people do.

It often happens that two people, say, for example, coworkers, having problems at home, pour their heart out at each other and connect on an emotional level. Not being married to each other or even being in a love relationship, they feel less burdened to maintain their facade and end up confiding and feeling more at ease with each other than with their partner.

It's a door to physical infidelity of course.

To reply you must either login or sign up.