Forum › The Princess of Sylph discussion

U5iwjlckigx21%20(1)
joined Mar 21, 2016

Gaaaah
First, a cliffhanger with a month of nothing after a slap, and now a cancellation + move to fanbox. I hope that at least the continuation will be from this more detailed version rather than the twitter one...

Satsuaki
joined Oct 9, 2021

Gaaaah
First, a cliffhanger with a month of nothing after a slap, and now a cancellation + move to fanbox. I hope that at least the continuation will be from this more detailed version rather than the twitter one...

There was a chapter this month, I'm just slow at translating it because I'm feeling devastated.
The fanbox continuation will follow where the serialized version leaves off. The announcement confirmed the twitter version is discontinued.

Kiss
joined Dec 31, 2023

I'm feeling devastated.

I remember you said earlier you might just quit if this gets cancelled. :'( I was probably more worried about this for your sake than for the story itself.

I always appreciate every translator; they let me experience endless excellent fiction for free, and having done similar work for technical texts, I'm very directly aware of the effort that goes into it. Even then, you have been a favourite of mine for a long time. You approach everything you work on with such love and care, really going above and beyond. Plus, you have fantastic taste in which series you pick. You are the best of the best.

Since I can't exactly offer to buy you a beer and have a good bitching session about manga getting axed, this seemed like a good opportunity to say how grateful I am for all your time and energy spent here.

Ashley_looks_at_a_message_on_the_das~2
joined Feb 20, 2023

Gaaaah

There was a chapter this month, I'm just slow at translating it because I'm feeling devastated.
The fanbox continuation will follow where the serialized version leaves off. The announcement confirmed the twitter version is discontinued.

That's good to hear at least. I've really enjoyed the pacing if the serialized version. I don't mind subscribing to their fanbox to support it. I really appreciate all the translation work puy into this

joined Oct 12, 2021

I kept worrying about the possibility of the series getting axed ever since it was first mentioned here, and wow, it IS devastating. I tried my best to buy the official release, but it just isn't possible from where I live, even the digital version. It wouldn't have helped much, but now I feel even worse about it. Same thing with fanbox. Hopefully the author recovers from it and self-publishing goes well; they're creating something truly wonderful.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

This series is so good, it is really distressing that it didn't find a bigger audience. Seems to happen with a lot of yuri-oriented fantasy stories.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Damn, I'm seeing the cancellation news late and it's unfortunate. The series and the main duo are interesting, I hope the author sees greater success in the future.

2here3there
joined Mar 19, 2022

Ah I missed this announcement till now.... I was hoping the sales would pull through, but I'll subscribe to their fanbox instead now (I suppose it is more direct)

Thanks for translating this series so far, the goofy and the sweet, all the parts that made this series so fun to read (like the wonderful sfx work you did)

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

ARGH WHAT THE HECK? Poor sales????
Well, it still has potential to get volumes as a Twitter manga, and I can just sub to the Fanbox I guess

Also yeah you are one of the best scanlators in existence, ever, period. I forgot that scanlations were generally low quality because I was spoiled by you, among others that regularly contribute to Dynasty.

last edited at May 23, 2024 1:15AM

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

It's an absolute travesty that the series didn't get out to the right audiences, and I really do believe that it's a problem with the magazine that serialized it.

However, we still have the luxury to continue supporting the author on pixiv and even seeing the story continue, which is not something many cancelled works get, so for that I am profoundly thankful.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

): Wow that really really sucks. This was one of my favorites, and I was really looking forward to seeing how it continued...

Thumb
joined Dec 23, 2014

Can someone tell me how this Fanbox works and how to do it? I'm gonna throw some money at the author because this is one of my favorites

canihavekith
142220480_1294910914226700_370792848566403998_n%20(2)
joined Feb 3, 2021

SAY IT AINT SO :"((

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Can someone tell me how this Fanbox works and how to do it? I'm gonna throw some money at the author because this is one of my favorites

If you're familiar with Patreon it's similar to that. She's also working to have an English version as well.

last edited at May 23, 2024 4:21AM

joined Apr 10, 2023

Given that she kept control of the series instead of letting the publisher access the copyright, and how she's thoroughly planning out a future for the series, I kind of get the impression she was prepared for this outcome from experimenting with traditional publication. Given that she moving it to fanbox instead of back to twitter or giving up, and even making ambitious plans like releasing in another language, maybe she's still walking away with a bigger audience than she had before, one that can support such efforts. Maybe there's reason to be optimistic. Those English version plans certainly sound optimistic to me.

Screenshot_20231227-213544_tumblr
joined Dec 27, 2023

The cancellation really sucks, but I'm glad the author is not giving up on the series! This series really feels like a passion project, and I've really enjoyed it so far and will continue to support the author, maybe I'll even buy volume three when it comes out (already bought the first two!)

joined Jun 11, 2021

i'm so thankful there are plans to continue and i hope the author can get all the support they need. the feeling i get from this that's been pretty consistent with cancellations i've seen is that unless your yuri story fits into very defined and conventional molds it is always at risk of being axed. publishers and often the general public want safe and familiar comfort media so when something unique pops up its met with more caution and criticism.
and as always capitalism is the death of art and what have you

joined Sep 27, 2017

i'm so thankful there are plans to continue and i hope the author can get all the support they need. the feeling i get from this that's been pretty consistent with cancellations i've seen is that unless your yuri story fits into very defined and conventional molds it is always at risk of being axed. publishers and often the general public want safe and familiar comfort media so when something unique pops up its met with more caution and criticism.

A lot of Yuri media is at risk of being axed in general, it doesn't have the reach Het or Yaoi series do.Though many series get the axe regardless of genre, even for as hugely popular as Naruto still is the creator's series after Naruto was axed. Getting a little off topic here, I'm still more so worried about the consolidation of almost all American media under very few umbrellas. Take even just game companies, if you get bought out by Microsoft there's a pretty good chance your studio is going to bite the dust unless you're one of the biggest devs, and there's other buyouts that are a mess. So it goes, getting back on topic though, at least the mangaka here still has control of the series, and can self publish + receive reader donations. That's at least still a better outcome than a lot of creators/media get.

Edit: Also I'm still waiting on Yuri anime to get 2nd seasons in general, Yagakami genuinely deserves a complete adaption imo. I wish to live in a world where Princess of Sylph, comfort Yuri, and so fourth can all coexist and get anime adaptions with a good budget that adapt the entire story.

last edited at May 23, 2024 2:04PM

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

A lot of Yuri media is at risk of being axed in general, it doesn't have the reach Het or Yaoi series do. Though a lot of series get the axe in general, even for as hugely popular as Naruto still is the creator's series after Naruto was axed. Though and getting a little off topic here, I'm still more so worried about the consolidation of almost all American media under very few umbrellas. Take even just game companies, if you get bought out by Microsoft there's a pretty good chance your studio is going to bite the dust unless you're one of the biggest devs, and there's other buyouts that are a mess. So it goes, getting back on topic though, at least the mangaka here still has control of the series, and can self publish + receive reader donations. That's at least still a better outcome than a lot of creators/media get.

Edit: Also I'm still waiting on Yuri anime to get 2nd seasons in general, Yagakami genuinely deserves a complete adaption imo. I wish to live in a world where Princess of Sylph, comfort Yuri, and so fourth can all coexist and get anime adaptions with a good budget that adapt the entire story.

The issue seems to be with the dependence on physical sales. I feel like if this series were on a strictly online platform, it would fair better. It feels like most of the Korean series I read are long running and mostly all exclusively hosted on online services. I've seen more manga move in this direction as well. The move to Fanbox is similar but without the marketing and website traffic. I wonder about this stuff but haven't looked into it enough.

last edited at May 23, 2024 2:10PM

joined Sep 27, 2017

I feel like if this series were on a strictly online platform, it would fair better. It feels like most of the Korean series I read are long running and mostly all exclusively hosted on online services. I've seen more manga move in this direction as well. The move to Fanbox is similar but without the marketing and website traffic. I wonder about this stuff but haven't looked into it enough.

Yeah physical media seems to restrict access and sales at least a bit, especially when it's the go to determination of success or failure. I think digital is good for getting media to a bigger audience, though I also wish physical didn't seem to be dying entirely. I still love to own series in print, physical movies/shows/video games.

543633_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

I feel like if this series were on a strictly online platform, it would fair better. It feels like most of the Korean series I read are long running and mostly all exclusively hosted on online services. I've seen more manga move in this direction as well. The move to Fanbox is similar but without the marketing and website traffic. I wonder about this stuff but haven't looked into it enough.

Yeah physical media seems to restrict access and sales at least a bit, especially when it's the go to determination of success or failure. I think digital is good for getting media to a bigger audience, though I also wish physical didn't seem to be dying entirely. I still love to own series in print, physical movies/shows/video games.

Consider the many thriving and financially stable Patreon's from girls love writers (among others) whose work gains popularity on Webtoon or Tapas--not to mention whatever money is gotten through contracts, etc. I strongly believe writers like Kamejiro would be able to garner a similar sustainable audience if she were given the same opportunity, rather than having a series axed for good.

Adding on: I imagine something like this published on Tapas, for example, would do really well. Those sites aren't perfect by any means though. I do agree with you about wanting physical to stay but it's difficult. Still, some of the more popular online releases will get physicals eventually rather than depending on physical sales to exist at all.

last edited at May 23, 2024 2:19PM

joined Sep 27, 2017

Consider the many thriving and financially stable Patreon's from girls love writers (among others) whose work gains popularity on Webtoon or Tapas--not to mention whatever money is gotten through contracts, etc. I strongly believe writers like Kamejiro would be able to garner a similar sustainable audience if she were given the same opportunity, rather than having a series axed for good. I imagine something like this published on Tapas, for example, would do really well. Those sites aren't perfect by any means though.

I do agree with you about wanting physical to stay but it's difficult. Some of the more popular online releases will get physicals eventually rather than depending on physical sales to exist at all.

I agree, it's definitely a matter of finding access to the right audience here. Since I do think this series has a lot of potential with both it's story and ability to be a hit. Also yeah it's rough when series depend on physical media to exist, I wish there was some way to reach a balance. I guess the main solution for now is as you're saying, where digital media will sometimes see enough success to get a physical version.

last edited at May 23, 2024 2:23PM

50cbf1fa94f751154ffee73259f4d20e
joined Jun 3, 2023

NOOOOOOO

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

Bless

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Chat please support this author

To reply you must either login or sign up.