Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Que_verduras_puede_comer_mi_hamster_29106_600
joined Nov 13, 2022

Pop Store Up online is up, 6 hours passed already and it's out of stock hahaha glad is going well but omg that this is intense hahaha

joined Jan 3, 2020

I'm not sure I understand the conversation on the last page of the latest chapter.

Why is Aya-chan suddenly trying to bug out? Are her remarks just meant to say something like "I find you much more intimidating to talk to in your punk appearance"?

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

Mitsuki's clothing choices so far seem tied to cool music (specifically, middle-aged geezer music) being her life, similarly to her uncle. Andro clothes are cool, black color is cool, rings and piercings are cool, uncle's tattoos are cool, etc. The bio also states that "she's just a girl who loves music".

Aya's feeling stupid for not recognizing Mitiski, guilt at misgendering her, embarrassment at realizing she was gushing to her friends about someone who was sitting right there the whole time, etc

It's on Mitsuki for not clearing up the misunderstanding in time (she wanted to but didn't due to the fear of standing out in any way at school and accidental flirting) and then intentionally pretending to be onii-san because Aya became her music friend and Mitsuki's self-worth was too low to consider somebody wanting to be friends with a "gloomy loner" like her. Aya got angry with her for that.

Everybody else also reads Mitsuki's masked andro look as male (probably due to some cultural expectation that girls will be cute and wear girly stuff, and not being able to go by her face), so she wouldn't feel stupid for it (she has to correct her family on that, too). And while she noticed similarities between Mitsuki and onii-san after interacting with both, she "knew" they're different people and by then Mitsuki was actively hiding they're the same person (you usually don't go suspecting your classmates of leading a double life).

If she's not embarrassed over the explicit issue of talking about her oshi to her oshi, the earlier thoughts about couples and acting like a girlfriend may have thrown her back to confused gay panic whenever Mitsuki is being handsome.

joined May 9, 2017

It's nice to see Mitsuki finally questioning her relationship with Aya. It's frustrating to only have 4 pages everytime but well, let's see where it leads!

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Attention attention, this is not a drill! Mitsuki's having her first lesbian moment of "ugh why does she have to like "guy" me, why can't she like girl me instead"!

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

Aaah!

clutching my heart!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Agreed that this seems to constitute a rather shocking level of self-insight for our shy, androgynously charismatic little stud-muffin.

“You’re being nice to me” isn’t quite as on-point as “you like me” would have been, but—baby steps.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Yeah, this does feel like a pretty significant moment, one that can't NOT trigger an important discussion between these two about the very nature of their relationship. I'm real curious to see how the author will handle this, especially with the 4-5 page format.

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

The love triangle no one expected

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

This looks like Takemiya but I don't remember this. Where is it from?

last edited at Feb 25, 2024 11:26AM

joined May 9, 2017

Btw, while the second volume is supposed to be released on the 27th, it was already being sold everywhere this weekend in Japan, so I got my copy. A few new colored pages this time but no new chapter, I was a bit disappointed. But overall the same attention to detail as in the first volume, this is a really nice paper edition!

joined Apr 10, 2023

Yay I got what I wanted from the next chapter after how that last one ended, I'm so happy :D

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

I'm not sure I understand the conversation on the last page of the latest chapter.

Why is Aya-chan suddenly trying to bug out? Are her remarks just meant to say something like "I find you much more intimidating to talk to in your punk appearance"?

This. I'm quite annoyed this insecurity is popping up now. It should've been a plot point earlier if the author wanted to resolve it explicitly. It was already resolved implicitly in the progression of their relationship.

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

No, she was saying that she didn’t think she’d be able to talk to her crush with the same amount of familiarity that Kanna and Joe could speak with. The way I took it, she basically is saying that she’d want to be able to have that kind of relationship in the future. She only started to bug out when she realized that she had said all of this to her crush (Mitsuki/Onii-san), and got embarrassed. I don’t think it had anything to do wi5h her finding the punk look intimidating.

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I think Aya said onii-san simply because Mitsuki was in her shop clerk getup that initially fooled Aya. She was reminiscing about how awkward she was back then compared to Kanna and Joe.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It's nice to see Mitsuki looking adorable/hot even when it's not through Aya's POV.

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

But that's okay 'cause I've got no self-esteem-

joined Mar 10, 2013

I think it's probably that for Aya felt completely different to talk to Mitsuki than it felt to talk to Onii-sama. He was technically an older, cooler, super hot stranger that was into the same stuff as her and totally her type.

Koga-san is just easier to talk to, even if she is cool and all that, Aya also knows she is a nervous wreck and her friend. Of course she has a major crush on Koga-san too, the feeling is just different tho.

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

This looks like Takemiya but I don't remember this. Where is it from?

You would be correct! It is from this One Shot

Also sorry for the wait. I basically posted and then immediately went to work.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I think Aya said onii-san simply because Mitsuki was in her shop clerk getup that initially fooled Aya. She was reminiscing about how awkward she was back then compared to Kanna and Joe.

My guess is more that Aya doesn't think of herself as gay and, at least on a physical level, is more atracted to Mitsuki's casual look, so when she thinks about her in a romantic way, she tends to revert back to thinking of her in the context of "Onii-san", or at least that part of her persona, even though she now knows Mitsuki is "Onii-san" and she likes her for more than just her looks. So, in this chapter, while she was watching the adults flirt, she thought it would be nice if she could do the same with Mitsuki, but when asked she absentmindedly blurted out the wrong name, because that was the context she was thinking in.

Alternatively, Aya has a tendency to get easily flustered when Mitsuki accidentally turns up the rizz, which tends to involve the "Onii-san" aspects of her persona, and Aya was thinking it would be nice if she could flirt back. Of course, admitting to your crush that "I really wish I wouldn't immediately melt down when you're being extra hot" can be pretty embarrassing, as can admitting that you find a part of their persona extra hot in the first place. Also admitting that you're drawing parallels between your interactions and the way the ex-couple across the room interact. Aya, basically just did all three of those things, realized what she did, and then panicked and ran.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's the latter, especially with the "perceptive girl × oblivious girl" tag at the end.

joined Jan 15, 2024

Ok but real talk for a second.
Why Mitsuki so hot if not real

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

Ho~ is Mitsuki finally gaining self awareness?

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

I'm expecting Aya to do something audacious in response to that question. She's useless, not stupid!

Watanabe-_
joined Jun 10, 2023

Recently I just keep thinking about, no matter how popular this manga gets, a faithful anime adaption is basically impossible due to song licensing issues. Maybe I'm just nihilistic but there's basically no way a yuri manga adaptation could ever afford a Nirvana song. Let alone multiple western rock classics. Just. :'c

To reply you must either login or sign up.