Forum › My Blue Garnet discussion

142220480_1294910914226700_370792848566403998_n%20(2)
joined Feb 3, 2021

aww kon, boo <3 i wanna hug her. her mother destroyed her self esteem completely

2ec2764b
joined Aug 11, 2014

I could have sworn I'd read this before. Am I just tripping?

Watanabe-_
joined Jun 10, 2023

A new adult life series, sign me up >:O I'm here for Kon already, and Ai's setup is already interesting, carrying around her life in a bag. Thank you for starting this!

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

a new one from Akiyama Haru I like it already, let's see what glorious mess we'll be getting this time.

joined Mar 18, 2023

another red flag yuri series featuring unskilled adults, ill pass this time.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I've never read works from this author but I'm very curious, however, I should brace myself for drama!

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

Same author of Octave.... Hard pass.

last edited at Dec 27, 2023 8:48PM

joined Aug 21, 2017

I am begging for a crumb of context on the murder-suicide declaration page

joined Nov 21, 2022

I don't remember reading Octave, but I did like Brides of Ibiris.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Please proceed.

0ee2c60a-7956-404b-9118-b3d2a41bdeae
joined Dec 7, 2020

Let’s GO

2here3there
joined Mar 19, 2022

If you think like someone normal... When you're told to meet outside the office... At this kind of hour... Someone normal would obviously suspect there's something wrong.

It's a particular level of fuckedupness of society when people blame themselves for missing red flags of exploitation at their point of desperation, but I can't say I haven't been there myself.

Akiyama Haru's characters tend to not have a straight forward path in dealing with their insecurities, but I'm cheering on Kon. Looking forward to how this one unfolds, especially with that cliffhanger opening.

last edited at Dec 27, 2023 11:40PM

Download20210304011519
joined Mar 24, 2021

same, though i went back and skimmed the first chapter of a face you shouldn't show (what i thought might have been similar bc one of the characters works in a comparable setting) and it was much more different than i remembered, oops. so uh, not that one.

as for this creator, i don't remember much about octave, while brides of iberis had a few scenes that i liked but i think it let me down overall and i kept wishing the art was more proportional. i'll give this one a chance, i guess?

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Yasss been looking forward to Akiyama Haru's next work. My body is prepared for whatever she has in mind. Loved all her works so far and I'm sure I'll enjoy this one too.

joined Jan 13, 2021

The best author in the two-volume-roguelike business has returned! Akiyama Haru hits the ground running (over women; I'm sorry women) with this one, and her characterization of the big shitty city as a sort of infinite concrete digestive tract that eternally melts and churns and squeezes people together and apart continues to be on point (its like if Prometheus had to pay electricity bills and rent for that stupid mountain). The only permanence in Akiyama's settings lies in transience- fidelity, employment, dreams, homes, moralities and stories themselves seem as prone to slip through your fingers (I'm sorry women) as the air itself, and the only joy lies in the hope that your fiftieth roll only the obligatory trauma gacha shall net you an SSR kinda dame who'll traumatize you in a kinky or beautifully tragic sort of way instead of just telling you to close your eyes and think of Sunday.

Coincidence is a key concern in this piece (himejoshi goblins?), and I'm quite sure Akiyama knows exactly what they're doing when they use gemstones, so often formed under immense heat and pressure over time, to represent abrupt and striking explosions of action and tension that bring together people from different walks of life (historical materialism is a prized tool in every yuri artist's arsenal). Under capitalism, and especially the concentrated forms it takes on in urban spaces constructed around flows of productivity, the clear and systematic segregation and compartmentalization of organs and resources in the cyborg body economic, a coincidence is almost an act of sabotage, a misplaced shoe gumming up a cogwheel. People miss meetings, damage capital, pause working, scramble records, and make the machine bleed from a thousand tiny nicks replacing steady ticks. In that regard, Kon's inability to be normal-as-productive certainly positions her as an inadvertent liability to any structure, a line of failures threatening to send her spiraling down the cracks below respectable society, but also then allows her to connect with people outside the spheres she would've moved in if she did have the ability to be "employable"- the romantic meetcute as social inevitability.

Inversions, displacements and a general playing-about with masks and roles have been a staple in the history of what one may call love stories, and especially so in stories about love in the stratified and supervised networks of roles and functions in the big city, where the gods-as-authors of love must necessarily work some mischief to overcome the obstacles to coupling. In Akiyama's tales, their devices are phone calls and intersections and train lines, queering quite literally the trajectory of transmission, the liminality between here and there creating a space where people might enjoy being nowhere and nobody together, differences melting away for brief blessed moments of peace. Where Kon's bogged down by her inability to keep all the roles straight and a sense that she has none to play (there's a low-hanging fruit here; c'est moi), Ai struggles under the weight of entirely too many- drifter, hostess, lover, seeker, runaway, mommy (shut up, Kon), and the beauty of the setup is that they're both fields of coincidence- Kon's numerous accidents and reversals scrambling the flow of spacetime and pulling women into her failgirl orbit, and Ai's superposition of identities as multifaceted as a gemstone (and as perilously implicated in the frenzy of acquisition), a co-incidence of coincidences that is naturally sparked off by Ai mistaking Kon at her lowest for someone else and so making her day (blue garnets are also known for changing shades under different types of illumination, much like a girl's, er, wardrobe). "And they were gradient neighbours-" statements that would make for an excellent Steven Universe joke if I had actually ever watched the show.

In addition to the usual expertise Akiyama brings to wrangling romance, there's also a fascinating air of mystery about this whole setup? The title of a deeply symbolic gemstone (plus the one that Ai's wearing), the ghost of a past lover hanging over the narrative like my obsession with Brides of Iberis, the sinister client at the hostess bar, the femme fatale who seduces our gullible and innocent heroine with such cunning wiles as Basic Human Decency, two murders plotted ("I'll kill that person and I'll die too) and one cold-bloodedly carried out (Kon's heterosexuality), the overhanging question of whether or not the first meeting of our leads was a coincidence... Akiyama seems to have a vision here, and I for one am looking respectfully.

joined Feb 22, 2018

Gem symbolism, huh? Garnets are semi-precious stones that until quite recently were never known to come in a blue color. The blue garnets that do exist are only known from one source in Tanzania, and are very expensive stones. Unlike most garnets which consist of a single mineral, blue garnets are made of umbalite, a mix of two garnet minerals (Equal amounts Pyrope and Spessartite). Umbalite is also known as Malaila (pronounced Malaya), a Swahili word meaning "outcast" or "outside of the family", owing to its atypical properties. Umbalite can change in color from deep blue to bright green, depending upon the intensity of illumination its viewed under. (Reading from the Internet)

Edit: In Japanese there are no separate words for blue and green colors. "Midori" can refer to both colors, and any other word (like the names of the two main characters) are merely "gradient neighbors" or variations of shade and color pitch.

last edited at Dec 28, 2023 1:50AM

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

I can already tell we are gonna get into abuse and aaaaaangst territory.

I usually like my stuff pretty Fluffy, and I really don't think this author does Fluffy. If it's ANYTHING like Brides of Ibris, it's gonna make me anxious to read. Also if it's anything like Brides of Ibris, this forum thread is gonna be a toxic nightmare to navigate.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

resonance posted:

It came out on Dec 27th, so it's impossible.

chaosOrchestrator
joined Jul 10, 2015

huh. seems like the main character of this one is some flavor of neurodivergent

joined Dec 5, 2019

Ok,seems cool, but Kon gives me vibes she is going to do an octave and try to be streight because of that mommy infused normal obsession.

As for Ai, my prediction with absolutely no info is that the guy there was an arranged fiancee or Kaede's sibling or the spicier option, that is Kaede after transitioning and Ai hasn't gotten over it and still dead names him

joined Oct 2, 2021

The best author in the two-volume-roguelike business has returned! Akiyama Haru hits the ground running (over women; I'm sorry women) with this one, and her characterization of the big shitty city as a sort of infinite concrete digestive tract that eternally melts and churns and squeezes people together and apart continues to be on point (its like if Prometheus had to pay electricity bills and rent for that stupid mountain). The only permanence in Akiyama's settings lies in transience- fidelity, employment, dreams, homes, moralities and stories themselves seem as prone to slip through your fingers (I'm sorry women) as the air itself, and the only joy lies in the hope that your fiftieth roll only the obligatory trauma gacha shall net you an SSR kinda dame who'll traumatize you in a kinky or beautifully tragic sort of way instead of just telling you to close your eyes and think of Sunday.

Coincidence is a key concern in this piece (himejoshi goblins?), and I'm quite sure Akiyama knows exactly what they're doing when they use gemstones, so often formed under immense heat and pressure over time, to represent abrupt and striking explosions of action and tension that bring together people from different walks of life (historical materialism is a prized tool in every yuri artist's arsenal). Under capitalism, and especially the concentrated forms it takes on in urban spaces constructed around flows of productivity, the clear and systematic segregation and compartmentalization of organs and resources in the cyborg body economic, a coincidence is almost an act of sabotage, a misplaced shoe gumming up a cogwheel. People miss meetings, damage capital, pause working, scramble records, and make the machine bleed from a thousand tiny nicks replacing steady ticks. In that regard, Kon's inability to be normal-as-productive certainly positions her as an inadvertent liability to any structure, a line of failures threatening to send her spiraling down the cracks below respectable society, but also then allows her to connect with people outside the spheres she would've moved in if she did have the ability to be "employable"- the romantic meetcute as social inevitability.

Inversions, displacements and a general playing-about with masks and roles have been a staple in the history of what one may call love stories, and especially so in stories about love in the stratified and supervised networks of roles and functions in the big city, where the gods-as-authors of love must necessarily work some mischief to overcome the obstacles to coupling. In Akiyama's tales, their devices are phone calls and intersections and train lines, queering quite literally the trajectory of transmission, the liminality between here and there creating a space where people might enjoy being nowhere and nobody together, differences melting away for brief blessed moments of peace. Where Kon's bogged down by her inability to keep all the roles straight and a sense that she has none to play (there's a low-hanging fruit here; c'est moi), Ai struggles under the weight of entirely too many- drifter, hostess, lover, seeker, runaway, mommy (shut up, Kon), and the beauty of the setup is that they're both fields of coincidence- Kon's numerous accidents and reversals scrambling the flow of spacetime and pulling women into her failgirl orbit, and Ai's superposition of identities as multifaceted as a gemstone (and as perilously implicated in the frenzy of acquisition), a co-incidence of coincidences that is naturally sparked off by Ai mistaking Kon at her lowest for someone else and so making her day (blue garnets are also known for changing shades under different types of illumination, much like a girl's, er, wardrobe). "And they were gradient neighbours-" statements that would make for an excellent Steven Universe joke if I had actually ever watched the show.

In addition to the usual expertise Akiyama brings to wrangling romance, there's also a fascinating air of mystery about this whole setup? The title of a deeply symbolic gemstone (plus the one that Ai's wearing), the ghost of a past lover hanging over the narrative like my obsession with Brides of Iberis, the sinister client at the hostess bar, the femme fatale who seduces our gullible and innocent heroine with such cunning wiles as Basic Human Decency, two murders plotted ("I'll kill that person and I'll die too) and one cold-bloodedly carried out (Kon's heterosexuality), the overhanging question of whether or not the first meeting of our leads was a coincidence... Akiyama seems to have a vision here, and I for one am looking respectfully.

Mmm

ArtemisOnVtubers
joined Dec 16, 2021

I recently visit the twittee author and she post a bunch of age gap stuff so is related here
Also how well she listen the girl having a girlfriend without questionin but them leave this doubs for herself

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

ArtemisOnVtubers posted:

I recently visit the twittee author and she post a bunch of age gap stuff so is related here
Also how well she listen the girl having a girlfriend without questionin but them leave this doubs for herself

The hell are you on? Akiyama Haru never wrote any age gap manga and her twitter has only adult yuri, and maybe some yaoi.

joined Mar 13, 2023

Inami Didn't Go To College?

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Oh! Didn't recognize. I'm in.
Mind you, I didn't like Brides of Iberis. But these characters seem nicer; I get the feeling more of the conflict is coming from outside them, rather than from them being selfish jerks, so I might like it.

last edited at Dec 28, 2023 12:01PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.