Forum › How Do I Get Together With My Childhood Friend? discussion

joined Feb 1, 2021

Insane Amounts of Idiot Couple

Mariya%20and%20karin%202
joined Nov 27, 2022

I hope that when all this is over, we don't find out that this was the catalyst for Yuzu's self-realization, I'd rather it have been earlier.

Feels like it's... kinda between the two. We don't know what Yuzu was thinking precisely, but she seemed to be convinced that she could just keep the status quo forever. It's hard to know if it's because she was content with it and didn't think any further, or because she was worried about taking risks in changing.

I mean, I don't buy that she viewed Minami as just a friend. Especially as we've seen her act as a normal friend with the others. So she must have had some kind of "realization" long before, without pursuing that line of thought all the way. After all, she reacted immediately when the kouhai asked if she'd be fine with Minami dating someone else, without any hesitation or denial.

Realizing that Minami might be courted by someone else probably forced her to put certain words on her feelings that she might have avoided before. To me, it feels less like a realization of her feelings and more a realization about what they mean in terms of the future of their relationship.

Either way, that was a surprisingly straightforward resolution of the kouhai plot. At least one of them three is capable of expressing her thoughts and feelings.

Well we finally got our answer! Loud and clear. Gaaaah yuzuuuu ♡♡♡

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

It feels like it's been literal years. Finally, a Yuzu perspective chapter.

Jpeg_20190202_220408
joined Mar 21, 2019

For gods sake
Minami what you have done...

joined Mar 19, 2019

Bruh minami friendzoned herself and didn't even know

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

NO FUCKING WAY

NO FRICKING FUCKING WAY

Iu0x5sm
joined Nov 23, 2015

progress~

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

The biggest twist isn't that Yuzu has always been in love with Minami but that she's capable of internal thought at all.

joined Dec 22, 2021

Ah, the old, something said when we were children was misinterpreted into a rejection,
and i refuses to consider the option that things have changed in the last 5 plus years.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

Very dumb and not very subtle twist, it's like 10 chapters late to be interesting (it hasn't been "years" since Yuzu-perspective chapter, I think we literally never had one). I'm honestly very disappointed it's that simple, and I'd argue it doesn't even explain her behaviour up to this point very well - you can talk about suppressing feelings all you want but this clearly showed she isn't completely oblivious.

It was not worth to hide all that just to uphold the gimmick of "Minami is dumb" from the last 17 chapters, it doesn't even feel consistent - I certainly don't have that "a-ha" moment that now everything makes sense.

last edited at Nov 9, 2023 4:37AM

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Very dumb and not very subtle twist, it's like 10 chapters late to be interesting (it hasn't been "years" since Yuzu-perspective chapter, I think we literally never had one). I'm honestly very disappointed it's that simple, and I'd argue it doesn't even explain her behaviour up to this point very well - you can talk about suppressing feelings all you want but this clearly showed she isn't completely oblivious.

It was not worth to hide all that just to uphold the gimmick of "Minami is dumb" from the last 17 chapters, it doesn't even feel consistent - I certainly don't have that "a-ha" moment that now everything makes sense.

My feelings exactly. It's like what my old writing professor would say about "joke" stories. If you set something up that depends so heavily on the eventual reveal, you're basically creating a joke. The entire framework of your story now depends almost entirely on the punchline and if the punchline isn't deemed worth it the entire story falls apart for the reader. This punchline didn't work for me. Not only is it too late and not very explanatory but it's also so standard.

last edited at Nov 9, 2023 5:45AM

2024-01-09%2004_02_51-3%20_%20chapter%20162%20-%20the%20100%20girlfriends%20who%20really,%20really,%20really,%20really,%20really
joined May 28, 2020

I feel like if you reread the series with this the new information and insight into her mind, you wouldn't actually find anything new.

last edited at Nov 9, 2023 4:45AM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I feel like if you reread the series with this the new information and insight into her mind, you wouldn't actually find anything new.

Yuzu made the meme Arthur fist a couple times so it was always obvious she wasn't entirely oblivious.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

For me this is a perfectly fine reveal and motivation for Yuzu, I don't think a more dramatic/mysterious/convoluted reason would've added a lot.
"A good story knows what it is and what it isn't" and this story knows it's a light-hearted romcom, there's no need for surprising twists or deep drama~

joined May 9, 2017

My feelings exactly. It's like what my old writing professor would say about "joke" stories. If you set something up that depends so heavily on the eventual reveal, you're basically creating a joke. The entire framework of your story now depends almost entirely on the punchline and if the punchline isn't deemed worth it the entire story falls apart for the reader. This punchline didn't work for me. Not only is it too late and not very explanatory but it's also so standard.

Same feeling here... The chapter was great in itself, but it's happening way too late and doesn't fit the narrative so far. In the end, I understand this was supposed to be an impactful chapter but it fell completely flat to me. That's a real shame...

joined Jan 11, 2014

Fuckin finally we get to see Yuzu’s side. What a treat. Now just give us 5 ch of this shit it’s so cute seeing the way she dies over physical closeness. I don’t even needs story progression anymore teehee. Not like we’ve had any since ch 2.

joined Jan 11, 2014

Yuzu made the meme Arthur fist a couple times so it was always obvious she wasn't entirely oblivious.

I remember reading a few posts talking about it how the Arthur fist memes don’t mean anything cause they could’ve been because she didn’t want to go to the beach super bad. And the writing had so little points backing up any potentially Yuzu motives and perspectives I honestly couldn’t deny that she was just so mad she had to go to the beach she made an Arthur fist.

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

"A good story knows what it is and what it isn't" and this story knows it's a light-hearted romcom, there's no need for surprising twists or deep drama~

I feel like that's exactly why I have a problem with it, does the story know what it is? If it knew, we would have this chapter as one of the first ones, and then we could follow the light-hearted interactions with the full knowledge of what's happening and it would make it funnier (and maybe they would even make sense, because right now they don't).

Instead it insisted on this weird choice of hiding Yuzu's side the whole time to create some sort of mystery or whatever, and the payoff from that is nonexistent because there was nothing interesting to hide. It only made the story worse and less light-hearted, so no I don't think the story knows what it is :P

last edited at Nov 9, 2023 6:16AM

586679-586678-51yyd2ts_il._sl500_aa300__super
joined Oct 4, 2018

Same feeling here... The chapter was great in itself, but it's happening way too late and doesn't fit the narrative so far. In the end, I understand this was supposed to be an impactful chapter but it fell completely flat to me. That's a real shame...

Imo, if we didn't have to wait so many months to get to this point this "reveal" would not have felt "too late". We've been made to wait both in the story and irl publication time so it's no wonder that that the suspense has pretty much died down for us who have already made our own conclusions while waiting for a new chapter. Besides, us anticipating Yuzu's side of things while only having had Minami's perspective up until now definitely added to the wait time.

But hey, even with that there were a few subtle hints here. And if you really think about it, the Kouhai tagging along on what would have been their date just so happened to be the catalyst for Yuzu's mask to crack.
Honestly, I somehow can't imagine it cracking if no third party ever brought it up. Unless ofc Minami suddenly stops being useless and straight out tells her buuuuutt... it wouldn't be very gay of her to get straight to the point like that, now would it? XD

So yeah, I don't think the timing for this is too far off

last edited at Nov 9, 2023 6:33AM

joined Mar 23, 2022

Damn finally yuzu's point of view, I'm surprise all this time minami is the root of this dilemma, friendzoned yuzu straight off from the very beginning.XD

644a9551982db70ad739d195df9452e7
joined Mar 7, 2021

Ya I feel like yuzus point of view coming in as the twist is so late and with zero play around it that my only response to it is " Jesus Christ this is exhausting"

I genuinely feel like if it was established earlier we could be at the exact same spot as we are right now and I'd be significantly less tired of the journey to reach this point.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Imo, if we didn't have to wait so many months to get to this point this "reveal" would not have felt "too late". We've been made to wait both in the story and irl publication time so it's no wonder that that the suspense has pretty much died down for us who have already made our own conclusions while waiting for a new chapter

There's more to say but on this point I'd specifically disagree. The raws aren't ahead by much at all. The wait time would be the same and you write knowing the limitations of your medium. Things might be somewhat better in a straight read through but even then I don't think that changes much. I don't think the story benefits at all from keeping this until chapter 17. Nothing really unique or impactful happened while hiding this info so late; and as a result, for me, this feels like the story really is just starting. Not a big deal because this isn't taking itself very seriously anyway but...what would we have been lost if this came earlier in the series? I think we would have gained a lot.

last edited at Nov 9, 2023 9:34AM

joined Jun 11, 2021

its like the author googled "yuri tropes" and stuck them all together without thinking of anything unique to give the series an identity. its cute yeah but ive read this a million times before and it gets tiresome and predictable after a while

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Things might be somewhat better in a straight read through

Excuse me, this is a gay read through.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Congratulations Minami, you clamjammed yourself.

To reply you must either login or sign up.