Forum › Posts by pandevouring

pandevouring
Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

speaking as a lesbian who's outlived a girlfriend, this story is not pointless. none of our love stories are pointless, even when they're bitterly sad. but this one was quite kind to its protagonists, i thought- they loved eachother, and it was both healthy and mutually supportive, they made a big difference to eachother, and in the end, they both knew it was mutual. sometimes life doesn't give you that final exchange, yk?

Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

it's not that i hate characters like kamiya, they just happen a lot for how improbable and specific they are. the super self-aware, late in the game sudden appearance of an extra character who is emotionally aware enough to see through everyone, appears to be trying to drive a wedge between the oblivious couple-to-be, but it actually makes them take a step closer. the kamiya then has a moment of bitterness at her defeat, but also is mature and collected enough to give one or both of them a deliberate nudge or two, gives her blessing to the union, and completely breaks off her own pursuit. it's just kind of a convenient deus ex machina-type device that feels a little odd for a romance set in a school where the whole premise is that nobody is fully that emotionally self aware yet. it feels like an alien intrusion into the story, but it's hardly a usual part of romance for like, a strong rival to show up and actually kind of make it LESS complicated, yk?

it hits a bit fairytale for me somehow. like, kamiya almost realises or just knows she's not the main character. when have you ever met a teenager who knew they weren't the main character?

pandevouring
Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

Felt kinda transphobic with the "oh this girl... but it's a man in women's clothes and he wants to hurt me!". idk man

yeah, intentional or not, this is one of those tropes based more in fiction than in reality. i quite agree. creepy guys generally don't feel the need to put on an elaborate costume like inspector clouseau

what if yumachi put her brother up to it or something though, to manufacture the situation at the apartment? she was like, RIGHT nearby when it happened. make u think

Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

Stans are the worst.

These aren’t stans. Just overly obsessive people who [...]

the thing is, "stans" comes from the eminem track "stan" about an obsessive fan. im sure it has a broader meaning now that includes much more positive things, but yeah i feel like the word is appropriate for the crueler & more entitled sides of fandom tbh. i suppose you could say the same about "fan" itself coz it comes from "fanatic"

Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

Me, reading this chapter: Hmm yes, Sakuma is surely the more mature and tactful one h-WAIT NEVERMIND

Someone asking me this was how I realised it tbh. I don't think it's too out of order at all- risky maybe? certain ppl might react angrily to a question like that, esp if she's wrong. I hope she's right

pandevouring
Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

such an efficient pandacorya we are seeing today

pandevouring
Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

i loved this

edit to keep it in one post:

i love that it works as like, two people falling in love but they decided not to depict the kissing and romance and keep it vague? and it also works as like. a lesbian and her aromantic life partner? first time i've personally seen a subtext yuri really connect with me like that. discovering shima's identity partway thru and knowing that ise has known all along, that part just makes it all feel a lot more deliberate? somehow. almost like it's not "the subtext is they're lesbians" anymore, it's "the text is one of them is a lesbian and the other is undeclared"

maybe ise-san just needs a couple decades to work out her relationship to romance anyway? she's stated the desire to get a boyfriend before but almost in the manner of like, someone trying to check off "adult life" milestones. it's not like shima-san is bringin girls home either tho, they both seem to be getting lots out of the domestic bliss on its own

last edited at Sep 1, 2021 7:50AM

Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

industrial espionage mate

Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

that's a slice of fried gold

pandevouring
Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

Honestly, her telling Iris to take another bride directly makes me roll my eyes. Something more generic like find another person to love/make you happy would have hit the mark better. "Go murder another person you love! But this time intentionally!"

this. i think maybe how i feel about this series may be kinna hanging on what iris decides to do. how things went with sara wasn’t really her fault, she was being groomed to do vampire things without knowing the consequences. i hope she doesn’t take another bride - but then, won’t she starve, revert to a pupa, lose her memories, and repeat the cycle whenever she re-emerges? we’ve had hints this has happened before

pandevouring
Touma-kun discussion 29 May 08:02
Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

My thoughts on this are that Touma is a tragic character who unwittingly hurts others.

Without having any ill intentions, she uses her social currency as a pretty and charming prince to instill an anxious and competitive relationship with approval in countless vulnerable kiddos. I don’t think Touma ever really worked out what was fucked up about it, but with Karen’s second chapter in particular, we see the human cost. It’s like gambling, yk? A huge cost for an occasional short, dizzying high once you catch Touma’s eye.

I only really appreciated this story once I cooled down. My, Touma was aggravating! We didn’t get any characters rejecting her outright, either- but that’s what it’s like being a teen girl desperate for approval, no?

last edited at May 29, 2021 8:03AM

pandevouring
Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

it’s perfect

pandevouring
Ikoku Nikki discussion 12 May 08:12
Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

this is always so amazing

pandevouring
Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

narrator: but actually it Was good

pandevouring
Mitsuki%20kaicho%20small
joined Jan 1, 2021

It's based on a true story. It's possible they never got back together.

Where does it say that it's based on a true story?

First page, the text in the bar on the left side. “A true story of forbidden love.” Also next page, “True Stories” above the writer and artist credits. The protagonist is also the writer.