Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

The format is what might be causing problems for some IMO. It just doesn't make for a nice continuous plot progression, you have to come to terms with this being a very episodic slice of life thing about realistic teenagers growing up and figuring stuff out. I'm quite happy with it, but I get why it might be frustrating for a lot of people.

Personally, I don't get the complaining. We're up to chapter 56, they've had 56 chapters to get used to the format, but they've just been complaining the whole time. It's classic: I don't like this kind of story, but I'm reading it anyway so I can tell everyone I hate it every chapter.

I also take issue with people's ideas of what "progress" is. It was always so frustrating to see people complain about a lack of "progress" in Komi-San because people equate romance to progress. No, that's not the only way a story and the relationships between characters can progress. Mitsuki and Aya are getting closer every chapter, they're deepening their bond and they're understanding each other and the world around them better. That is progress. It doesn't need to be romantic, no matter Aya's feelings.

last edited at Aug 29, 2023 11:04AM

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

The format is what might be causing problems for some IMO. It just doesn't make for a nice continuous plot progression, you have to come to terms with this being a very episodic slice of life thing about realistic teenagers growing up and figuring stuff out. I'm quite happy with it, but I get why it might be frustrating for a lot of people.

Personally, I don't get the complaining. We're up to chapter 56, they've had 56 chapters to get used to the format, but they've just been complaining the whole time. It's classic: I don't like this kind of story, but I'm reading it anyway so I can tell everyone I hate it every chapter.

I also take issue with people's ideas of what "progress" is. It was always so frustrating to see people complain about a lack of "progress" in Komi-San because people equate romance to progress. No, that's not the only way a story and the relationships between characters can progress. Mitsuki and Aya are getting closer every chapter, they're deepening their bond and they're understanding each other and the world around them better. That is progress. It doesn't need to be romantic, no matter Aya's feelings.

^^^this right here

I'll be honest. I was glad that some of ppl gave up on this series and stop commenting their complaints because of this. this is a manga still in the making and some ppl are not happy with the pacing of it. I'm guilty of wanting these two to hook up too. but I'm happy to see what's going to happen in the future chapters. this is the artist's own style of story telling. we're not watching a movie or an animated series where we're getting right to it.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Listen.....

Billy Corgan wrote Tonight, Tonight for two reasons. As a homage to his favorite band (Cheap Trick) and as an encouragement letter to himself after surviving a nightmare childhood. Corgan's father was a talented professional musician, and also a mentally unstable petty criminal and deadbeat. His mom was divorced from dad and wasn't a major presence, and his stepmother was (allegedly) physically and emotionally abusive to him and his brothers. Corgan eventually taught himself how to play the guitar, and got the hell out of there to become a musician.

Boring bio data aside, the choice of THIS song for this chapter has to be deliberate. Suddenly it recasts some otherwise inexplicable aspects of Mitsuki's life:

I'm fairly certain every song choice for every chapter is extremely deliberate, but this is helpful context.

Untitled
joined Jan 23, 2022

Plot twist: the friends already knew they are pretending so they just politely leave :))))))

joined Aug 12, 2022

Yay, it won first place in the Web manga category!

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

never thought id see the smashing pumpkins in a yuri manga B)

joined Jun 19, 2023

Confirmed. Koga's leaving.

joined May 9, 2017

Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a done deal, but she is sure thinking about it. I see one issue with that though, I don't think she would feel very different in the US. It's not like changing country will make her suddenly less awkward and find a place where to belong. I mean, if she really wants to leave, she should and I encourage her to do so. But leaving with the expectation that it will change anything regarding her feeling of awkwardness and her inadequacy with other is wrong. Just because the music industry is different and more open in L.A won't make her magically belong to a group of people and find her place.

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

I don't think she would feel very different in the US. It's not like changing country will make her suddenly less awkward and find a place where to belong. I mean, if she really wants to leave, she should and I encourage her to do so. But leaving with the expectation that it will change anything regarding her feeling of awkwardness and her inadequacy with other is wrong. Just because the music industry is different and more open in L.A won't make her magically belong to a group of people and find her place.

Exactly what I was about to say. If she has a hard time with people who are loud and overbearing, America is really not the best place to go directly after growing up in Japanese culture… But then again, it could be a chance for her to open up and discover a new part of herself. Sometimes people need that kind of push.

joined Dec 13, 2022

We have achieved AQUARIUM.

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

lol aquarium

'm fairly certain every song choice for every chapter is extremely deliberate, but this is helpful context.

but yeah, smashing pumpkins songs are very depressing lyrically. today is about suicide and disarm is about an abortion. so tonight, tonight is about escaping but also strangely, love.

Time is never time at all
You can never ever leave
Without leaving a piece of youth

And our lives are forever changed
We will never be the same
The more you change, the less you feel

And you know you're never sure
But you're sure you could be right
If you held yourself up to the light
And the embers never fade
In your city by the lake
The place where you were born

it's about leaving but its also about loving someone else and moving on.

joined Jun 6, 2020

Exactly what I was about to say. If she has a hard time with people who are loud and overbearing, America is really not the best place to go directly after growing up in Japanese culture… But then again, it could be a chance for her to open up and discover a new part of herself. Sometimes people need that kind of push.

I think she wants a world that hasn't existed in 30 years. and thats kind of her come to terms with it.

joined Jun 6, 2020

regardless im awaiting the soft swerve to Stay by Lisa Loeb or Dont Speak by No Doubt

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

She's overwhelmed because she's introverted, surrounded by a bunch of extroverts, and being an introvert isn't something to overcome. She's a bit tired, reached her limits for the day. She was fine at the start of this chapter but felt bad when the other friends came and things got crazy again. I don't think she's talking about going to America. If the two of them go off on their own for a bit, she'll likely be fine. This issue would come up no matter where she went. The two of them will just need to work out a balance and acknowledge their personality differences. It's already a good start that she noticed Koga wasn't feeling well.

last edited at Sep 10, 2023 9:57AM

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

Yes, some species of fish are solitary, and that's totally fine.

joined Apr 10, 2021

The fish: ruined it

The fish, when reached for comments: blub

006%20(1)
joined Aug 11, 2019

Still no Aquarium tag on Dynasty, smh.

joined Feb 1, 2021

Fish That Looks Like Narita instantly rockets to the top of the character tier listing

__c_c_code_geass_drawn_by_creayus__865456f1cfacc546b5861bbfed2beb26
joined Jan 22, 2023

welp, this is a real yuri manga now, we've got an aquarium chapter.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Not your usual aquarium date.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Being an introvert is perfectly fine Mitsuki! Some fish are happiest when they can have their own space and join their friends on their own terms. You can find people who will embrace you for what you are anywhere, there's no need to go far away for that!

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Hi, Mitsuki! I'm sad to say, but I don't think Los Angeles will solve your problems! Like, at all! The opposite, in fact! Hope that helps.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I don't think she would feel very different in the US. It's not like changing country will make her suddenly less awkward and find a place where to belong. I mean, if she really wants to leave, she should and I encourage her to do so. But leaving with the expectation that it will change anything regarding her feeling of awkwardness and her inadequacy with other is wrong. Just because the music industry is different and more open in L.A won't make her magically belong to a group of people and find her place.

I don't think she's thinking about America in that moment. She's just feeling out of place there. But clearly Aya's going to connect it to that, because that's where her anxiety lives right now.

Smallerowl2jpg
joined May 5, 2020

And the timer is active! No matter how Mitsuki meant what she said, Aya's going to interpret it either as her doing something wrong or feeling like Mitsuki's made up her mind to go to America. This might be the inciting incident needed to get her to confess how she feels. Perhaps after a few more misunderstandings and a growing desperation making her say it out of a final panic to get her to stay, even if she never planned to go anywhere...

Rise192_78
joined Aug 22, 2013

Fish That Looks Like Narita instantly rockets to the top of the character tier listing

Honestly I was disappointed we didn’t get a higher quality version of the fish that looked like Narita lol

To reply you must either login or sign up.