Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

joined Nov 12, 2014

They don't seem to be around, so either they've passed or they're deadbeats. The fact that Joe was considering leaving her behind at all suggests that she does have other family in Japan, though.

Maybe not deadbeats, but workaholics that are never home. Seems more likely to me.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

They don't seem to be around, so either they've passed or they're deadbeats. The fact that Joe was considering leaving her behind at all suggests that she does have other family in Japan, though.

Maybe not deadbeats, but workaholics that are never home. Seems more likely to me.

Standard manga protagonist family.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Standard manga protagonist family.

Even IRL from what I know it's part of the whole reason why the birthrates are low in Japan, intense work culture leaving little time for one's self, let alone love, and especially not parenting.

last edited at Jun 27, 2023 4:39AM

joined Apr 10, 2023

The only reference to Mitsuki's family I can find is a photo from the first page of Rhythm B, where she's posing with a man in glasses who might be a dad (or maybe Joe just used to wear glasses). As she's leaving somebody yells at her to "leave the headphones here!" but there's no hint at who said it. She's leaving a house with the family name outside.
In the comic's present though she's definitely living above the record shop now, not at that house. Whatever happened to her bio parents or her relationship to them, it seems pretty thoroughly over. I would suspect they're alive but shitty. This would give Joe a reason to not leave her, while making it hypothetically possible for him to leave for the question to be on the table.
If she was orphaned and in his care I don't think it would even be treated as a possibility for him to deny.

kalliopephoenix
Smol%20icon
joined Jul 15, 2016

I seriously can't get over how frickin' cute Mitsuki is on the bottom left of the first page. I feel you, Kanna! So squishy!

Que_verduras_puede_comer_mi_hamster_29106_600
joined Nov 13, 2022

The only reference to Mitsuki's family I can find is a photo from the first page of Rhythm B, where she's posing with a man in glasses who might be a dad (or maybe Joe just used to wear glasses). As she's leaving somebody yells at her to "leave the headphones here!" but there's no hint at who said it. She's leaving a house with the family name outside.

Maybe Im reading this part wrong "Joe just used to wear glasses" since english is not my native language but Joe, since the start of the manga, was using glasses; it's now from an illustration first and this chapter that we can see him without it.
And the Kanji that we see in the first page of Rhythm B says "Elemetary School" (I think this is what is called in english, if not, the last kanji is the one for "school").

Just saying this to say that indeed we don't really have strong evidence of what are Koga´s parents situation, just Koga in chapter 8 when arrives to her home, we can see from her attitude that "no one cares that she is in home"; but it doesn't gives us anymore info from what we know now

joined Jan 14, 2020

And the Kanji that we see in the first page of Rhythm B says "Elemetary School" (I think this is what is called in english, if not, the last kanji is the one for "school").

Yes, those are the kanji for elementary/primary/grade school. "small school"

joined Apr 10, 2023

Maybe Im reading this part wrong "Joe just used to wear glasses" since english is not my native language but Joe, since the start of the manga, was using glasses; it's now from an illustration first and this chapter that we can see him without it.

Just saying this to say that indeed we don't really have strong evidence of what are Koga´s parents situation, just Koga in chapter 8 when arrives to her home, we can see from her attitude that "no one cares that she is in home"; but it doesn't gives us anymore info from what we know now

Ah, thanks for the info on that label, it just looked to me of the family name plates I sometimes see by the gates of homes in anime, but I can't read it and I made an assumption without realizing.
I haven't checked everything but as far as I can see Joe sometimes wears sunglasses, they don't look like what's in the photo in Rhythm B. The guy in the photo also has much shorter, neater hair than we've ever seen from Joe. Possible he tried to go square at some point but the guy in the photo just has dad vibes to me and looks like he could easily be Joe's brother.

last edited at Jun 27, 2023 9:56AM

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

so she's the one who took the picture of these two during their younger years. and lil' Mitsuki is so adorable.

I want everyone to appreciate that Mitsuki was listening to The Shins in her formative years. Uncle Joe is kinda rad.

and a very appropriate 1st album by the Shins. the song New Slang is about growing up.

20200119_124434
joined Jan 19, 2020

Chapter 8 starts with Mitsuki saying "I'm hoooomeee not like anyone cares."

So yeah most likely a family that is never around or doesn't care about her except best uncle Joe

Edit: Oops someone mentioned that already

last edited at Jun 29, 2023 3:29PM

Lilisionnach
Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

No chapter today, should be a new chapter tomorrow. Blame Elon.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

Poor uncle,walking into one helluva situation,and literally getting turned upon.

We need this series adapated into an animated format that perserves the popping style of this all,just so we can see him be the best family member ever.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

No chapter today, should be a new chapter tomorrow. Blame Elon.

Yeah, not the first mangaka I've seen panic recently since so much of their marketing and self publishing is done through Twitter.

last edited at Jul 3, 2023 1:02PM

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Joe is the best uncle there is!

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Uncle Joe really is a MVP :O He gave Mitsuki a chance at a normal, happy life, that's worth more than anything in the world.

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Uncle is a gentle person

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Really sucks to be Kanna. First she wanted to go to America with Joe, but then he decided he had something more important here. Now she comes to invite Mitsuki there with her, and will end up getting the exact same answer again.

EternalSongbird
joined Feb 4, 2019

The three of them just move to America after Aya and Mitsuki graduate. EZ. (Sarcasm/half-joking) THEY'D JUST BE A CUTE HAPPY LIL FAMILY OKAY?

DschingisKhan
Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Don't worry, uncle Joe, I think you're pretty cool.

joined Oct 22, 2020

First chapter I hadn’t retweeted before translation in ages... thanks El*n

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Ouch, maybe Kanna will end up staying in Japan and get back together with Joe? This is definitely set up for Mitsuki to evaluate what's important to her right now, especially since she doesn't have any definite plans for the future

My%20god
joined Dec 27, 2014

Really sucks to be Kanna. First she wanted to go to America with Joe, but then he decided he had something more important here. Now she comes to invite Mitsuki there with her, and will end up getting the exact same answer again.

Tbf if you roll up to a highschooler's house with an offer to move across the world on a whim, you ought to be going into that expecting a refusal. Mitsuki may be super into music, but unless Kanna's offering a job in the industry or something similar it'd be pretty stupid to accept.

Zzzz
joined Nov 18, 2019

People...that's a such REAL MAN THERE...i'm crying

joined Sep 23, 2022

I'm waiting for them to start showing feelings for each other

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I don't draw a distinction. A parent that doesn't take care of their kid is a deadbeat. I don't care if they do it because they're a shitty alcoholic or a busy CEO.

To reply you must either login or sign up.