Forum › The Engagement of the Disgraced Witch and the Cross-Dressing Princess discussion

joined Jul 21, 2020

She looks exactly like a woman dressed up in a prince's outfit.

Strange. To me, she seemed taller and with a more masculine body shape.
For now, and while waiting for clarification in further chapters, I'm on the side of those who think she used body alteration magic.

It would in fact be a very original premise for a yuri manga, an almost unheard of development that I'd love to see: a main character who can turn herself into a real man, a strapping ikemen with a male body, a d*ck and everything. Now that is something that would make her girlfriend sexually confused as all hell, lmao.

Either that, or she would squee in delight: "YAAAY!!! I hit the bisexual jackpot!!!!!!"

last edited at May 25, 2023 5:52PM

Sometimes something seeming simple scratches a Yuri itch you didn't know you had. I look forward to more with this one.

i just wanted to point out that there were 5 words in a row that started with the letter S, thats all

La duchesse de Pecquigny
joined Jun 7, 2021

She looks exactly like a woman dressed up in a prince's outfit.

Strange. To me, she seemed taller and with a more masculine body shape.
For now, and while waiting for clarification in further chapters, I'm on the side of those who think she used body alteration magic.

It would in fact be a very original premise for a yuri manga, an almost unheard of development that I'd love to see: a main character who can turn herself into a real man, a strapping ikemen with a male body, a d*ck and everything. Now that is something that would make her girlfriend sexually confused as all hell, lmao.

Either that, or she would squee in delight: "YAAAY!!! I hit the bisexual jackpot!!!!!!"

She can alter her body shape without changing her gender.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Huh, that was the worst cross dressing ever. I mean, anyway, I love this villainess stuff, when it's yuri, so yay!!!

Lol- i agree. How is she fooling anyone like that? Especially with the long hair. She looks exactly like a woman dressed up in a prince's outfit.

tbf the Japanese says "Dansou Ouji"; which literally means "prince who wears male clothes". And as far as the word is used it can be in any nuance; I'd say it's reasonably common that there's no pretense that they are anything but female, simply wearing male clothing, and that's it. So that take would certainly be within the "range" of the meaning.

But given that in-universe the heroine seems to be surprised I guess it was meant to be fooling people, if not deliberately then at least accidentally.

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

Is it just me or was that "prince" the least convincing cross-dresser ever? Like, they still looked 100% like a girl in their supposedly male gear.

A commenter has said it, the emperor has no clothes as in every one around the princess is only pretending because they're afraid of getting punched or cancelled. But for real, there should be a story behind that anyway.

But given that in-universe the heroine seems to be surprised I guess it was meant to be fooling people, if not deliberately then at least accidentally.

It could be that she wasn't aware of how she's being perceived and that the prince getup is merely that--a costume for her to wear sometimes because she has the title of 'prince'. This showed when she didn't even hesitate in trying to tell Ev that she was the 'prince' while not in her prince costume.

last edited at May 26, 2023 3:45AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

It could be that she wasn't aware of how she's being perceived and that the prince getup is merely that--a costume for her to wear sometimes because she has the title of 'prince'. This showed when she didn't even hesitate in trying to tell Ev that she was the 'prince' while not in her prince costume.

That was badly put by me; I didn't mean the "prince's" motivation but the artist's portrayal of how "genuine" this "disguise" is. Clearly from the artist's/writer's perspective, judging by in-universe reactions to it, it's "meant" to be taken as people (again, in-universe) potentially getting confused.

Similar to Clark Kent's glasses being "meant" as a disguise that somehow works in-universe. Obviously the reader will know.

25807f2f-52d2-4bcf-84a8-46471290408c
joined May 3, 2022

I love this trope with all my heart. It reminds me of how there were quite possibly hundreds of shoujo/otome het stories and this “villainess” start makes a jump to show that this would not be one of them. Instead, it would be the start of its own genre with its own little take on the existing stories. Unique or not I still love it.

With this one, we can already see many tropes in play already but we also see a story with the unique mix of personalities and tropes. I’m just going around in circles now but I just truly love these.

Also, the credits page is really beautiful. I especially love that the “Y” exists solely for Yuri when you could’ve stopped with just “Ick”. <3

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

I don't think anything will ever top "May I Ask For One Final Thing?" for me when it comes to this particular story opening trope. So damn satisfying.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

I just can't get over the dudes name. Fucking Mark Klengel? Never getting tired of the Japanese affinity for gratuitous German xD

joined Mar 25, 2019

I think the reason she's crossdressing and how she feels about it will determine how much of a twist it is. If she's just doing it because everyone expects the next head of state to be male, and it's essentially a uniform she has to wear, then I don't think it'll change all that much.

According to the Mangadex description, she's crossdressing because she's filling in as a body double for her brother, who has gone missing.

https://mangadex.org/title/49496e76-08b8-4d47-aced-a13f2f8d90a4/kiraware-majo-reijou-to-dansou-ouji-no-kon-yaku

joined Jan 14, 2020

One chapter, 4 pages of comments...

joined Apr 6, 2019

What I would like to know is: are there really so many otome games where a scene like this happens? All these details seem so precise and definite: the hall full of nobles, the finger-pointing, the yell "So-and-so! Our engagement is cancelled!" and so on and so forth. Is it a trope that you expect to find in every otome game? Or is it a parody of one particular famous work? Or a combination of both?

As far as my knowledge goes... that scene, with that precise sequence of events, comes from the Bakarina universe. :)

The game Fortune Lover (where the unnamed mc reincarnates as "Bakarina") has many possible happy endings, and all of them include the scene where Katarina Claes is publicly accused by Prince Geordo of harassing the heroine Maria Campbell. It starts with him pointing his finger at her and announcing the end of their engagement, then a few characters step forward and read the list of her wrongdoings, then Katarina is declared a criminal, stripped of her social status and exiled.

This scene doesn't parody any preexistent otome game, it was an original scene completely invented by the author of the books... but it became so popular it turned epigonic; and it's now a staple of Villainess Yuri.

last edited at May 27, 2023 2:31AM

De00e7f3-5d55-4e3c-951c-ebac52dc90c4_1_102_o
joined Jul 14, 2021

it kinda really fits yuri stories doesnt it? so whenever you think “oh it’s this trope again ugh” think insetad “lets go this is OUR trope”

also this looks really fun

9d94c4a9-d46e-49f0-a68e-0a44d27fedb6
joined Oct 22, 2021

I don't think anything will ever top "May I Ask For One Final Thing?" for me when it comes to this particular story opening trope. So damn satisfying.

That the one where the villainess beats the shit out of a room full of nobles?

joined Apr 7, 2016

The only gripe I have so far is how obvious the princess' disguise is. Maybe it's meant as a visual for the reader that it's the princess, but like...you couldn't at least put on a wig or something? Or pull a Lucina and tuck your longer strands under your cape?

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

Oh boy, two cakes!

But seriously, I can't get enough of villainess yuri, there's certainly not enough of it, so I'm more than fine with the generic opening. As others have said, chapter 2 is probably where we'll get the proper indicators of the direction this will be taking. But it definitely seems fun so far. Can't wait to see these two bounce off each other.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

That the one where the villainess beats the shit out of a room full of nobles?

Lol- whats that from?

joined Jan 14, 2020

Oh boy, two cakes!

Heh

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

I want more of this. Idc if it's cliché, I want it!

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

I am here for evil 12th night vibes

joined Jun 6, 2020

Also. TL error: "Your highness" is only to female royalty and the witch was like 'youre male?'

It would be "Take me away your majesty"

joined Jun 6, 2020

Also bishounen exists. This is like Kurama levels of I can't tell. Honestly they look basically like kurama lmao. but yeah gogo vengeance magirevo!

joined Jan 14, 2020

Also. TL error: "Your highness" is only to female royalty and the witch was like 'youre male?'

Incorrect. When there is a precise distinction, it is that "your majesty" is for the actual monarch (and maybe their consort) and "your highness" for the princes. Though in reality 'Highness' is often used for the head of state too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highness https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majesty

"The term [Majesty] was first assumed by Charles V, who believed that—following his election as Holy Roman Emperor in 1519—he deserved a style greater than Highness, which preceding emperors and kings had used. Soon, Francis I of France and Henry VIII of England followed his example.[1] "

I would guess the Japanese used 'denka'.

Akari-mizunashi-transparent%203
joined Oct 10, 2014

No, a roman!

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

Are there any villainess yuri stories where the villainess is actually fairly effed up? I mean someone like Fukiko Ichinomiya from Oniisama e. She was a seriously nasty person.

Maybe I’m weird for wanting it, but there’s nothing like the thrill of digging into the twisted psychology of a screwed up villainess. Most of these villainess stories are cute, but I abandon them ‘cuz they’re just tsunderes in fantasy settings. Not much real villainy.

This is pretty rare even in het villainess stories unfortunately. Only a few come to mind: The One Within the Villainess, Grail of Eris, and I Awoke as an Imprisoned Villainess. And while these do all feature two women as the leads, none of them are actually yuri (though The One Within the Villainess has some pretty strong sapphic subtext).

Thanks for the recs :D

To reply you must either login or sign up.