Forum › A Room For Two discussion

Screenshot%202022-03-25%20015936
joined Mar 24, 2022

I always felt deep intimate friendship + sexual desire = romantic love. I've been "yelled at" several times, for that belief, in the story comment sections. However I honestly can't think of any other way to define it.

I will say, sexual desire isn’t necessary for romantic love and romantic love isn’t necessary to feel sexual desire for someone. They are separate things and while they are often intertwined that is not always the case.

Then define romantic love. How is it different from platonic love? Say the love for a close friend, or a family member.

Defining love in general is pretty hard. But a parent for example isn't going to have the same feelings towards their children that they have towards their best friend. And claiming that romantic love is just platonic love + sexual desire means that friends with benefits are automatically in a romantic relationship. Even if they've never been on dates and just meet up whenever they feel like it. Following that logic all those butterflies in the stomach that people like to mention in regards to falling in love are in that case only a sign of the person being horny. Because most people don't experience this sensation when with their friends and we've established that the only difference between friend and crush is sex, right? And what do we do with the fact that people in love can get pretty jealous? Most people don't get that jealous over their friends, so is that also just a sign of being horny?

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I always felt deep intimate friendship + sexual desire = romantic love. I've been "yelled at" several times, for that belief, in the story comment sections. However I honestly can't think of any other way to define it.

I will say, sexual desire isn’t necessary for romantic love and romantic love isn’t necessary to feel sexual desire for someone. They are separate things and while they are often intertwined that is not always the case.

Then define romantic love. How is it different from platonic love? Say the love for a close friend, or a family member.

Defining love in general is pretty hard. But a parent for example isn't going to have the same feelings towards their children that they have towards their best friend. And claiming that romantic love is just platonic love + sexual desire means that friends with benefits are automatically in a romantic relationship. Even if they've never been on dates and just meet up whenever they feel like it. Following that logic all those butterflies in the stomach that people like to mention in regards to falling in love are in that case only a sign of the person being horny. Because most people don't experience this sensation when with their friends and we've established that the only difference between friend and crush is sex, right? And what do we do with the fact that people in love can get pretty jealous? Most people don't get that jealous over their friends, so is that also just a sign of being horny?

I disagree with most of your conclusions. And i think sexual desire is deeper and more complicated than mearly being "horny". But your point about the butterflies makes me think. What are the butterflies? Are they just nervous excitement mixed with love and desire? Or are they really the answer to my question about romantic love without sexual desire.

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

The actual answer is love is a complicated thing that will differ from person to person and so is not a thing that can be cleanly defined with a single catch-all definition.

New
joined Aug 4, 2016

I'm not caught up so I don't want any spoilers, but on this page: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_room_for_two_special_3_the_things_i_want_to_ask_but_havent_been_able_to#15
Sakurako recalls a dream Moka had. Was this something that actually happened earlier in the series, and if so, does anyone know what chapter it's in?

Smirk_small
Bewitched
joined Dec 31, 2020

Hauteclere posted:

I'm not caught up so I don't want any spoilers, but on this page: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_room_for_two_special_3_the_things_i_want_to_ask_but_havent_been_able_to#15
Sakurako recalls a dream Moka had. Was this something that actually happened earlier in the series, and if so, does anyone know what chapter it's in?

Yes! It happened fairly recently, even, in chapter 63.5. Specifically on page 11, but an excuse to reread the whole chapter is nice, no?

New
joined Aug 4, 2016

Hauteclere posted:

Yes! It happened fairly recently, even, in chapter 63.5. Specifically on page 11, but an excuse to reread the whole chapter is nice, no?

Oh, that was fast, thanks.

I'm reading the Tokypop release and I happened to notice that these lines have a very different meaning. While in the scan it says she had a dream where this happened, in Tokyopop's version it has her narrating that it is her dream, as in her goal in life, to create an environment where no one will look for her when she's gone. I wanted to see the original to see if it was consistent and what made more sense in context. Tokyopop's release is consistent with itself, but I feel like the scan is probably more accurate, since "I want be a loner whose absence no one will notice" is...insanely depressing and doesn't feel like it goes well the tone or message that's supposed to be conveyed.

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

Kasumi misunderstanding Hino and interpreting her question as whether she wants to bring her romance to the office was adorkable. Very like her.

Yumi%20sachiko%20kiss%201
joined Apr 6, 2017

Dont like this new girl just seems annoying.

Amazing Despair
12a1
joined May 12, 2019

Dont like this new girl just seems annoying.

she plays an important role in the overall process of getting Kasumi to think about her relationship with Sakurako, but yeah I get it. She doesn't appear that often though, as far as I remember anyway

Img_20200401_132631
joined Jun 17, 2018

Maybe this new girl will try to flirt with Kasumi and this will lead to Sakurako and Kasumi to talk about their relationship? Maybe make Sakurako jealous? Or simply Kasumi will not notice anything?

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

Fcolu7zauaqic2k
joined Sep 14, 2015

So is there already a romance or bot Kasumi? You are not making this easy.

joined Apr 6, 2013

I can't even be mad at Hino, she choose hardcore mode without even knowing it, I can only feel pity.

That said is cute that when she bring up Office Romance Kasumi just thinks of Sakurako.

3baa1ab64dd532b6adbdcf6b46497e76
joined Mar 25, 2015

So is there already a romance or [not] Kasumi? You are not making this easy.

I feel like this is kind of the crux of Kasumi's character arc right now; figuring out the exact answer to that question.

However, even if she's kind of trying to define what her relationship is with Sakurako right now, she's at least intellectually aware that if anything in her life would be defined as romantic, it's DEFINITELY her relationship with Sakurako. Hence, it's not a huge logical leap for her to think of office romance as immediately with her.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

New girl sure is something...

Kasumi would probably have a lot less trouble with her, had she actually said that last part out loud as well. :D

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

I like the new girl, maybe she will be the catalyst for Kasumi and Sakurako to finally make things official.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Kasumi is such a chick magnet.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

I like the new girl, maybe she will be the catalyst for Kasumi and Sakurako to finally make things official.

She's fun and pretty harmless. I like her addition to the cast. It's funny watching her futilely try to hit on Kasumi. If even Sakurako, who is basically her life partner at this point, can't successfully pull it off then this girl doesn't have a snowball's chance in Hell. Sexual advances of any kind just seem to roll off Kasumi like water off a duck's back.

last edited at Apr 16, 2023 3:41AM

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

The only things Kasumi have cared about are food, sleep and living with her ( maid) special roommate.
After 8 years, things seem to be changing.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

funniest thing is that no one even remotely believes Hino is a rival to Sakurako for Kasumi, but I do hope she helps catalyst things between them so we can see their relationship progress a bit more. Looking forward to more!

joined Jun 12, 2015

Ending soon. Will it get a yuri end? Stay tuned.

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

Ending soon. Will it get a yuri end? Stay tuned.

Is it actually confirmed to be coming to its end? Very unfortunate if true.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, that could have gone better. Could have gone worse. And they still managed to dodge the question. :D

PineconeJuice
Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

Well if it really is ending soon then I'm glad. It has been losing steam by quite a lot in those last chapters and it especially took a dive when it started mirroring comments about "Is this yuri?!"

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

I just hope the ending will be satisfying but also, I feel it'd be a shame for it to just end after them becoming an official couple. Would have like to see at least a few chapters about their live as a couple, though it'd probably don't change much.

To reply you must either login or sign up.