Forum › Posts by Kae

Kae Uploader
Smirk_small
Bewitched
joined Dec 31, 2020

Hauteclere posted:

I'm not caught up so I don't want any spoilers, but on this page: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_room_for_two_special_3_the_things_i_want_to_ask_but_havent_been_able_to#15
Sakurako recalls a dream Moka had. Was this something that actually happened earlier in the series, and if so, does anyone know what chapter it's in?

Yes! It happened fairly recently, even, in chapter 63.5. Specifically on page 11, but an excuse to reread the whole chapter is nice, no?

Kae Uploader
Smirk_small
Bewitched
joined Dec 31, 2020

KawaiiSuika posted:
I'm just confused why she says she's never told anyone she loves them. Hasn't she told Sakurako that before? I swear she did.

She has; this was my failure as a PR because JQ and I both know she means "going up to someone you don't know and telling them you like them" but neither of us stopped to ask if that was conveyed in the English. Oops.

Smirk_small
Bewitched
joined Dec 31, 2020

protectmomo posted:

Wow, this is bad. I read the first 6 or 7 chapters years ago and then totally forgot about this until I watched the first episode of the anime and realised I knew the twist moments before the assassination. So I got hyped and binged this again from the start and holy hell what a let down the newer chapters are.

I originally gave this credit for that murdery introduction, but looking back at it now, it's pretty clear that it was not good writing and more a cheap trick for shock value. This author must have gotten plot twists at a bargain sale for a dime a dozen, considering they dumped four of them on us in the first book. The pacing is insane and I was completely uncompelled by all of the other plot twists, both because I was never given time to grow attached to anything before the constant upheaval and because they all felt like complete asspulls.

The worst offender, by far, is the time travel twist. They didn't even attempt to address the issue of paradoxes, of how Akari could survive the first time without any future Akari yet in existence. And so we're instead left with a protagonist who has the god ability to automatically solve any issue she's in, whenever the author feels like it, by a future Super version of herself retroactively coming back and giving her unlimited power she didn't have at the time. And what the hell is up with her ribbon-cutting power? What does sending a homing (homewrecking?) missile to God knows where have to do with "The Pure Concept of Time"?

But let's not take any credit from the villain twist, which was also swinging for the fences of terribleness. I feel like for turning a Dumbledore-like figure into a cartoonishly evil villain to have any impact, you really ought to give the character more than 5 panels of screen time first. And what the hell was with that motivation? "I dedicated my entire life to saving people, but then hearing people ask me to save them got really annoying, so I started killing them instead"??? What????? One of the worst villains I've seen. And by God, the monologuing... I don't care, lady, your monologue was longer than all of your prior screen time combined so I have no investment in you or your rambling.

One commenter said something like "stop complaining and just enjoy the yuri". First of all why do you have such low standards for yourself? Wouldn't you like to read well-written yuri and not just uncritically accept anything just because it's gay? But I can't even do that anyways, because without warning the author made the protagonist batshit insane as part of the plot-twist-palooza, and I do not ship it. At this point I just want to see Momo x Menou and I would begrudgingly keep reading if there were any prospect of that but it's pretty clear there's not. In fact this might actually be the least compelling concept for a romance story I've ever read, because the relationship doesn't even develop naturally. Why does Akari love Menou? Because Future Akari beamed feelings of love into her from the Fuuuuuture. Wow, so romantic...

I have to respond for that blessed username alone. Protect Momo indeed.

The manga is mostly a service to LN readers. I'm not saying the writing is top-tier in the LN (it's not, it's a light novel after all), but there are a number of explanations the manga has decided to skip out on. The slower pacing gives Orwell a bit more characterisation, you get to see a bit of Akari's first time in this world and how everything starts to go wrong, Guiding Force gets a bit more explanation, etc.

To answer one of your questions, Pure Concepts can only really be used in ways the user can conceptualise (shocking, I know). Typically, this means being able to see/imagine the effect, but even that still allows for a ton of interpretation from the user. What Akari did was fast-forward time in a small area (Weathering) and then move that area somewhere she knew existed: Momo's ribbons (Teleportation). When Momo put up her shield to protect against the dragon's fire, her ribbons were out of phase and the shield ended too soon around them, allowing the fire to burn them. The idea that Time has some control over Spacetime as an extra benefit is pretty clever/funny if you ask me, and very relevant later on. It's those little explanations that get missed that I have no idea how manga-only readers are supposed to infer (see: the babbling little girl at the start of the most recent chapter).

Finally, if you have any desire to continue reading this as a romance story: do not. It's a (light) grimdark story with lesbian innuendo (a fun one if you don't take it seriously, imo). If you do stick around and the manga does cover what it should, there's little chance that you will continue to hate Future Akari. Her POVs are some of the most entertaining ones in the LNs.

last edited at Apr 14, 2022 4:19PM

Smirk_small
Bewitched
joined Dec 31, 2020

TheParagonWay posted:

Ahhhhh the series that warms my heart is back! Also damn, misunderstandings getting immediately solved? No way!
Though theres gonna be a one-week delay now but still thanks for continuing the translations even with the paywall!
Anyways enjoy an Elsa enjoying her booba pillow.

'One-week delay' meaning one week behind, instead of one chapter every fortnight?

The former is the current plan. The next released chapter will therefore be in two weeks and then weekly after that.

Kae Uploader
Smirk_small
Bewitched
joined Dec 31, 2020

hah, gay.

Smirk_small
Bewitched
joined Dec 31, 2020

TheLubeTube posted:

I wasn't expecting good memes, but I was at least hoping you would even pretend to follow the formats you gesture at in the credits page, Kae. This is a new low smh my head mh

You ain't seen nothing yet

Kae Uploader
Smirk_small
Bewitched
joined Dec 31, 2020

Thank you!

Smirk_small
Bewitched
joined Dec 31, 2020

Ranzo posted:

Since no one is saying it then I'll say it
YABBA DABBA DOO

Truly, your comment is a diamond in the rough.

Kae Uploader
Smirk_small
Bewitched
joined Dec 31, 2020

Damn it's 2am and I already read 17 chapters and now I wonder if I should read more or just watch the anime. Hope I can buy the Light Novel (and I hope it's good). Definitely one of the better mangas here and this is the kind of yuri that i want to see

Every Urasekai Picnic novel reader will agree when I say: READ THE NOVEL! READ THE NOVEL! READ THE NOVEL! It's good, you won't regret it.

The manga is one of the best adaptions I've seen; Eita Mizuno is clearly a big fan of the novels. If you're enjoying the manga, you're pretty much guaranteed to enjoy the novels as well.

Kae Uploader
Smirk_small
Bewitched
joined Dec 31, 2020

I have nightmares of Hasshaku-sama. It's all that po-po-po thing.

Allow me to alleviate your nightmares.

Smirk_small
Bewitched
joined Dec 31, 2020

I can't help wondering how many chapters there are supposed to be in those "Scriptures". We have three references so far, quoting chapters 1, 3 and 10. Treating this as an instance of the German tank problem, this yields an estimate of about 13-14 chapters in total (if we use the Bayesian median). However, the Scriptures look like quite a hefty tome, about the size of a typical Bible, and that contains 1189 chapters (in the King James version). There seems to be something of a mismatch.

And yes, this is a trivial point and I've obviously put far too much thought into it.

I'm not sure you can really apply this to the Scriptures, since we are not dealing with a production series of similar objects that are all put into use, but rather with a collection of verses with wildly different effects, some of which may be used in very different situations. Since we don't know the full extent of its power or how the verses and chapters are categorized, it's difficult to make any estimates based on the sample we have. If more important, more often used verses are for example gathered at the beginning for easier access, there may be much more in there in latter chapters we can't even begin to speculate about yet.

Really not even a spoiler: Actually, Lizbo's estimate is remarkably accurate for as far as I've read. However, there are other things contained within the Scriptures.

last edited at Jan 12, 2021 10:00PM

Smirk_small
Bewitched
joined Dec 31, 2020

Thanks so much to the translator for allowing us to host their work!

Glad more people can enjoy the series!

Also, oops, looks like chapter 2 got placed between chapters 7 and 8 because of my silly upload schedule!