Forum › A Room For Two discussion

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

soooo who is Yukari again?

The one who basically wrote fanfiction of our favorite duo of dorks.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/a_room_for_two_ch39_5

Chistaki
joined Jan 10, 2023

I think I missed a chapter somewhere. When she asked her on the train about them actually dating did she ever get an answer?

Kasumi has only told Sakurako that she needs more time to think about it. This is just them being how they have grown accustomed to being with each other. Kasumi will definitely say yes, but we are just being made to watch the character development that leads to that understanding and answer from her.

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

So can we expect more Literary Showdowns going forward? asking for a friend, not that I have any interest in that or something. Hmph!

Wsewamzlrlff%20(2)
joined Jul 2, 2018

Not even in the top 1200! How can I be expected to read anything of the sort? Love them together, a room for two is always a treat

Img-20230104-wa0002
joined Dec 16, 2022

Yukari doin' good I see

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

According to some random website I found a pink wallet represents:
"Bright, happy prosperity. Pink is merely a lighter version of red, so it has all the qualities red does but with a lighter, fun side. Red is the color of success, but pink is the color of having a good time with your income."

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

What the heck is going on? Has that whole discussion in the train completely been forgotten or what?

Kasumi needs some time to think about it, her answer will eventually come, don't worry. Right now the manga is focusing on giving her the perspective she needs to figure things out, using all sorts of characters and situations, while still leaving some space for the SoL stuff. She doesn't seem to understand romance that much, despite clearly having plenty of feelings of her own, so no wonder she hasn't responded yet given that she never had to think about it before and also doesn't have quite the same brain wiring as most people do

Has there ever been any discussion about Kasumi possibly being asexual , Demi or the like in the forums or even in the manga?

I've mentioned it on occasion. Not sure if anyone else has, but there's probably someone other than me.

I absolutely love the idea of acespec Kasumi. I'm constantly seeing things in Kasumi (and her relationship with Sakurako) and thinking "Oh that is ace as hell", and I just keep getting those vibes from her, but... In a heteronormative world, vibes only go so far when it comes to queer representation. The unfortunate result is that anything less than on-screen fucking may as well be subtext, and that poses an obvious problem in regards to the depiction of non-het aces. (Although tbf het aces don't see much rep either.)

I mean, there was a manga recently that was about explicitly acespec characters, to the extent that it felt a bit "textbook-y" to me. When it ended a significant number of people popped out of the woodwork confused and/or angry about it because it was too ambiguous for them. (Which was a shame, because for the most part people were really cool about it while it was still ongoing, asking questions and wanting to learn about different aspects of asexuality.)

(Of course, there's nothing stopping Kasumi from being ace AND having sex with Sakurako, but... I don't feel like spending all day explaining that. The allos out there that don't already know are just gonna have to trust me on that one. :P)

Ren%e2%80%99py_logo_6-13-6_200x307px
joined Jan 21, 2023

Kasumi is a perfect specimen of the Japanese manga stereotype of lazy: she's so lazy, she won't do anything unless Sakurako initiates it.
She's like twins-separated-at-birth with this dude:
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/about_a_lazy_high_school_guy_who_woke_up_as_a_girl_one_morning_web_comic
When some guy told Yasuda he was going to force him(her) to have sex, Yasuda told him to go ahead and do it because fighting back was too much work. It had nothing to do with Yasuda's sexual preferences or kinks, or whether he wanted sex or not, it was just a matter of laziness. The cliched "lazy characters" in manga are like that, too lazy for everything except eating and sleeping; too lazy even for enjoyable things, even for sex. Zero drive all over. It's unrealistic but that's how the template works.
If a character was very active and had tremendous drive to pursue all sorts of things (career, hobbies, friendships) and was indifferent to sex then maybe you could wonder.
Kasumi? Just a lazy bum in need of a perfect serving top—who lucked out like a California bride.

83533587_2513884038883534_1936152900346576896_n
joined Jul 26, 2019

Remember, they haven't even dating yet

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Kasumi is a perfect specimen of the Japanese manga stereotype of lazy: she's so lazy, she won't do anything unless Sakurako initiates it.
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/about_a_lazy_high_school_guy_who_woke_up_as_a_girl_one_morning_web_comic
When some guy told Yasuda he was going to force him(her) to have sex, Yasuda told him to go ahead and do it because fighting back was too much work. It had nothing to do with Yasuda's sexual preferences or kinks, or whether he wanted sex or not, it was just a matter of laziness. The cliched "lazy characters" in manga are like that, too lazy for everything except eating and sleeping; too lazy even for enjoyable things, even for sex. Zero drive all over. It's unrealistic but that's how the template works.
If a character was very active and had tremendous drive to pursue all sorts of things (career, hobbies, friendships) and was indifferent to sex then maybe you could wonder.
Kasumi? Just a lazy bum in need of a perfect serving top—who lucked out like a California bride.

Except asexuality isn't mutually exclusive with any of what you said. And to be honest, following this train of thought you could argue Kasumi is too lazy to be thought of as gay.

I'm not really interested in debating it though. I know she's not intentionally written to be ace, just like any number of characters fandoms latch onto as gay or bi or anything else are often not written to be.

Yumi%20sachiko%20kiss%201
joined Apr 6, 2017

A lazy bum... who has been working since as soon as started high school and seemingly before with her moms work. Who also buys Sakurako things.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Apr 19, 2012

soooo who is Yukari again?

I'm pretty sure Yukari is their high school classmate/friend that shipped Kasumi and Sakurako (in her head) all the time. At some point, she even wrote a book kinda about them, iirc. She was an aspiring novelist during hs and eventually became a librarian and publishes books on the side. She had yuri googles on 24/7 but could never tell Kasumi and Sakurako, so that was a bit of the running gag whenever Yukari shows up. Seeing this chapter, she still roots for them and is still worried about their relationship for them haha. So cute!

I love Kasumi and Sakurako, honestly. Probably my top 10 SOL favs on the site.

Edit:

Kasumi as a lazy bum argument

Kasumi is self aware that she's inherently lazy, but she studied and applied to the same uni as Sakurako, and majored in business mgmt at said uni, and ended up trying for and getting into the same company Sakurako works for. I think given all of that and what readers know of her, she's really given a lot of effort to keep up with Sakurako and their future together. Sakurako is a workaholic so she finds working and doing things a cake-walk, so it's not fair to compare the two. Also, she has plainly said she doesn't mind just trophy wife-ing Kasumi, but Kasumi mentions multiple times to Sakurako and their college friends that she intends to pull her weight (in their relationship) in more ways than one.

I think as a reader, we would be doing Kasumi and the author a disservice by just lumping her character into the lazy bum category without really recognizing all of her efforts and character development over the years, given her base characterization.

last edited at Feb 23, 2023 5:24AM

2here3there
joined Mar 19, 2022

This is the second yuri series I've seen to directly reference The Little Prince (the other series being My Dear Lass). It's probably one part that it is a classic story and one part that I'm primed to remember it being referenced, but it feels like a strange coincidence.

Revolutionary Girl Utena also seems to share some similarities with The Little Prince (at least enough similarities that I saw someone else write an essay comparing the two). Certainly The Little Prince is a very influential story.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

This is the second yuri series I've seen to directly reference The Little Prince (the other series being My Dear Lass). It's probably one part that it is a classic story and one part that I'm primed to remember it being referenced, but it feels like a strange coincidence.

Revolutionary Girl Utena also seems to share some similarities with The Little Prince (at least enough similarities that I saw someone else write an essay comparing the two). Certainly The Little Prince is a very influential story.

It's not even the first time it got referenced

last edited at Feb 23, 2023 10:17PM

joined Dec 3, 2014

It's not really a question of will they or won't they, but how far Kasumi is willing to go for to reciprocate Sakurako given her laziness. All things considered Kasumi has always been shown to be perfectly content with her life now and the status quo. The question only comes up because Sakurako actually starts to feel insecured now and tries to push things a bit more. Even though Sakurako would always be willing to make any compromise for Kasumi, but I guess even Kasumi realizes now it's not sustainable? She has indeed tried to put more effort into their relationship so maybe it's a good sign.

Also the little prince is a massive story, but given its take on romance and the context it's certainly not a book I would recommend to people who wants some opinion on the topics. Don't know why Asia seems to think it's the romance bible.

last edited at Mar 12, 2023 1:52PM

joined Jan 14, 2020

I recall no romance in The Little Prince. Little Princess, maybe.

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

I hope they end up together romantically

Wsewamzlrlff%20(2)
joined Jul 2, 2018

The twist got me, I was so confused for a second lol

last edited at Apr 1, 2023 10:58AM

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

Heh, that was a good April Fools joke. It gave the effect of an April Fools chapter without the pain of having to wait for the real chapter.

On note of the actual chapter, it's nice to see Kasumi does have some idea of her feelings for her life with Sakurako. I'm curious if they will steer towards romantic as she thinks about it more or if she'll go full Aro.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

Is this the first time we've seen Kasumi blush like that when thinking about Sakurako? It's sweet to see how seriously she's thinking about their relationship, and how much it clearly means to her whether or not her feelings are ultimately romantic. (she flat out says she believes they'll spend the rest of their lives together) I think Koruri's point about how, either way, their relationship probably won't change much was reassuring; Kasumi doesn't like pressure, so her believing that it's OK no matter what she decides likely helps a lot.

For the record, I do think we're heading toward romance. Even if it's very low-key, Kasumi's reactions this chapter make me believe she's coming around to the idea of being in love with Sakurako. Especially her reaction to the teasing at the end- in the past, she'd have just brushed that sort of thing off, but here, she blushes and thinks, "romantic or not, I kinda like this." Only she can decide whether that's a romantic thought or not, but she's clearly more conscious of Sakurako's flirting in a way she wasn't before.

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

This was good April Fool's joke

...having sex...

Yo, wait, when did that happen? Or supposedly happen in case it's implied.

In any case, I really like how the story now focuses on Kasumi and shows through little gestures and other nuances that she truly is giving proper thought to Sakurako's question and how what was an incredibly impactful and dramatic moment is skillfully woven into the already existing fabric of the series without feeling out of place. I'm really looking forward to seeing that develop further.

As an aside, you know, I really like this series, and I really like Yukiko's style, but despite that, I'm not actually following this series all too closely and/or haven't really read it "properly", even though I've wanted to for the longest time. Seeing the number of chapters is kinda threatening, to be honest. What I planned to do was to start getting the volumes physically and going through it like that, but haven't gotten around to it yet. There's no meaningful point to this paragraph, just wanted to share that in writing.

Reading this I felt like I had written this post.
Big number, big decision, brain hurt

last edited at Apr 1, 2023 12:04PM

joined Mar 10, 2013

I can accept that Kasumi might be Ace, but I can't just accept that she won't have sex with Sakurako, girl has put up with so many years of gay pining, she deserves the full experience.

The whole "I don't know what love is..." feels like the new version of "But we're both girls.." meaning it's just something authors say to stretch out the story without any real conflict. It used to be about drama, but now it's about a happy status quo and I honestly don't know which one is worse. Being happy should be better than being sad, but is it really worth your time reading when you have stories like this, with 500 chapters where nothing really ever happens? Who the hell acts like that with someone who is just a friend? How can you still have the audacity to say "I don't know what love is" after all this time? What else could it be?

Are lesbians really willing to live platonically with their crush for over 10 years?

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

I can accept that Kasumi might be Ace, but I can't just accept that she won't have sex with Sakurako, girl has put up with so many years of gay pining, she deserves the full experience.

This sounds like the literal opposite of accepting Kasumi as Ace.

As for the rest of what you said. Aromantic people exist.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

Sure. But I don't think Kasumi is. Demiromantic, certainly. But her reactions here, plus the general thrust of the story so far, really don't strike me as building up to an aro ending. Maybe I'm wrong.

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

Sure. But I don't think Kasumi is. Demiromantic, certainly. But her reactions here, plus the general thrust of the story so far, really don't strike me as building up to an aro ending. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, that was more a general statement on my part. I'm at work so I can't go into as much detail as I would have liked. Until more recently I could have seen Kasumi being Aro, but I agree it seems less likely now.

To reply you must either login or sign up.