Forum › Only Show Yourself to Me discussion

joined Aug 21, 2017

This seems nice and traditional.

Esha%20icon
joined Mar 31, 2018

Ah, the gay panic of a country girl. A rare delicacy indeed.

joined Apr 16, 2022

The art style and writing remind me a lot of Yatosaki Haru. It's a nice and relaxing vibe. Hopefully Ruriko will get friends along with her girlfriend lol.

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

I love a continuous story that has one shot energy

Pov_youre_a_triple_mugger
joined Feb 19, 2016

The art style and writing remind me a lot of Yatosaki Haru. It's a nice and relaxing vibe. Hopefully Ruriko will get friends along with her girlfriend lol.

I didn't check the mangaka before clicking this and assumed it was one of theirs by the art style.

This seems nice and cozy

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

It's not like they're not aware of being gay or that it's a big deal. One's just shy and the other is jaded!

Blushy%20(1)
joined Jun 14, 2022

Wait, are we gonna have a High School Yuri story that doesn't have a "But we're two girls!" Moment?! Both characters seem aware of their own sexuality right out the gates, which is kinda nice.

joined Nov 21, 2022

Ah, the gay panic of a country girl. A rare delicacy indeed.

I'm not getting gay panic. I'm getting social panic.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Subscribed.

Fzvftbrxoaepy3r%20copy
joined Feb 20, 2022

This looks promising...

joined Feb 10, 2022

Noice.gif
Hopefully is just wholesome with no pure drama.

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

Merry christmas!!

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

Looks and vibes like something from Yorita Miyuki too. I legit thought it was her initially.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Wait, are we gonna have a High School Yuri story that doesn't have a "But we're two girls!" Moment?! Both characters seem aware of their own sexuality right out the gates, which is kinda nice.

that's been most modern/recent series? like how to get together with my childhood friend (friend she admits her crush to is like yay lets make it happen) or Our Yuri Started with Getting Rejected in a Dream (the freakout is mostly, it's my best friend and im worried i'll lose her). Hell even AnoKiss had none of that. Only one that kinda did it was Bloom into You, but that's like barely there.

Screenshot%202022-04-05%20021706
joined Jun 19, 2014

Do they just keep mistakenly calling her Tada-san and she's too meek to correct them? She said her name was Tano.

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

I think the "but we're both girls" trope is a lot more realistic than pretending being gay is the default in the story. Like the person above me said a girl might be worried about losing her friend and she doesn't even bother to think if said friend is into girls without having asked. At some point I just can't even suspend my disbelief. And then all the side characters turn out to be gay too?
Sure, it's a bit tiring to have to go through that denial phase in every story but given the high school setting I think that's the normal thing to go through. I went through it and a lot of people living in more homophobic environments did as well...
Not sure if the main characters here are aware of being gay. The main character seems like she likes looking at cute girls without giving it much deep thought but I may be wrong... The other one seems like she might know she likes girls but hides it for the most part and tries to get close to the protagonist since she felt a connection. At least that's how I read it.

last edited at Dec 24, 2022 11:31PM

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

I think the "but we're both girls" trope is a lot more realistic than pretending being gay is the default in the story. Like the person above me said a girl might be worried about losing her friend and she doesn't even bother to think if said friend is into girls without having asked. At some point I just can't even suspend my disbelief. And then all the side characters turn out to be gay too?

Just slap the Isekai tag on them, cut it certainly feels like an entirely different world.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Like the person above me said a girl might be worried about losing her friend and she doesn't even bother to think if said friend is into girls without having asked. At some point I just can't even suspend my disbelief.

That's just like a general wishful thinking thing, but in that particular series there's an understood sense of mutual feeling, the uncertainty is with the degree, like almost always there's "is it the same kind of like?" that is in a lot of these. So while it's not overtly stated it is a cause for worry.

i'm not seeing much of this "gay is the default" in many stories outside of like ensemble type series? Which is fair because its under the yuri genre and that's the fantasy they want to sell... soooo..... ??? There's also the fact that like, queer people often form social groups in high school without them even realizing. Side couples tend to either play into this or else serve as foil to the main pairing. Most recent incarnations of "but we're both girls" have morphed into just more common/authentic queer awakening narratives instead of like, "Oh it's so taboo, it's so wrong!11!!11", the former of which I don't really take issue with.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Just slap the Isekai tag on them, cut it certainly feels like an entirely different world.

It’s a variation of 404 Men Not Found trope: 410 Men Found, But Irrelevant.

Chibi_blademan
joined Jul 23, 2013

I was kind of thinking of them too, but I think it reminds me more of Rokuroichi more. They all have this emphasis on the lips and eyes, but this story seems like it's setting up to be the inverse of This one. Country girl moves out to the big city and falls in love with a beautiful girl, instead of a country girl falling in love with a beautiful city girl who moves to the country.

joined Mar 19, 2022

Call me crazy, but I love that shit. I love it even more if it's angsty as fuck but then still resolves into a happy ending, I can't get enough.

Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

So is the protagonist name Tada or Tano? Did Sawa get the name wrong literally seconds after the introduction?

It's increasingly rare to find "but we're both girls" moments in modern yuri works (high school setting or otherwise), which is not necessarily a positive thing in my book. It's like trading the angst and drama for fluffy wish fulfillment. Ideally you want a little bit of both in the genre.

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

The main leads are nice but I also appreciate the classmates who involve the country bumpkin in their activities.

chaosOrchestrator
joined Jul 10, 2015

I suspect the country girl is in the "doesn't everyone think girls are pretty?" phase, but Rurika definitely seems to be aware of her own sexuality already.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Isn't the title and point that she's going to be clingy, jealous and controlling?

It used to be important to stop everything and declare you were both girls so romance was impossible because of the Great Lesbian Tragic Death Curse. But now that that's seemingly been exorcised, rumour has it that you can have a romance even if you're both girls, although I don't know if they know that in inaka (the countryside) yet.

To reply you must either login or sign up.