Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

The assumption that your teen years are the best, more shining and radiant part of your life—and that as soon as you reach legal majority you become a decaying thing that can only crawl in the rotting morass of adulthood all the way to your death—is very much a common Japanese idea... but it isn't at all a Western idea; more like the opposite, in fact. I'm surprised nobody felt offended by this strip and reacted with anger.

I guess we've all already been mentally colonized by the Japanese. :P Come to think of it, I haven't read any rants against lolicon manga in a long time...

Why would we feel offended?

joined Jan 11, 2014

Romanticizing teen and college years when those years are so confusing, awkward, and fumbly is truly the adult experience.

Download
joined May 11, 2022

The assumption that your teen years are the best, more shining and radiant part of your life—and that as soon as you reach legal majority you become a decaying thing that can only crawl in the rotting morass of adulthood all the way to your death—is very much a common Japanese idea... but it isn't at all a Western idea; more like the opposite, in fact. I'm surprised nobody felt offended by this strip and reacted with anger.

I guess we've all already been mentally colonized by the Japanese. :P Come to think of it, I haven't read any rants against lolicon manga in a long time...

wtf is this comment? Adults can't be nostalgic for their youth after seeing the next generation enjoying the art they enjoyed as teens? Especially when it's connected to counter culture. This was literally such a wholesome chapter. The fandom for this manga is so weirdly negative.

joined Sep 4, 2018

It should be the crime of the decade (or at least year) that such an adorkable yuri couple won't get their own anime. Especially when not even Kase-san could get a proper anime adaptation.

We need more wholesome yuri without all the forced villainy and drama that often ends up plaguing a lot of the series.

last edited at Nov 20, 2022 5:39PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's pretty much like old people are romanticizing the 60s, 70s or whatever, through the rose-colored lenses of time and self-delusion.

Pretty much a boomer thing, who think youths of today are lazy.

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Soooo, how many chapters before a gig date then?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It's pretty much like old people are romanticizing the 60s, 70s or whatever, through the rose-colored lenses of time and self-delusion.

Man, a lot of stereotyping going on about this.

Looking back fondly at the time in your life when you weren't responsible for holding down a job, for taking care of a family, for buying car or home insurance, etc., and remembering when you had the time to get totally wrapped up in your friends and to spend large chunks of your time thinking about music, grooving to music, and finding new music to love, and before the main tracks of your life were set--that all seems pretty normal, whatever one's generation.

Sure, it was never all good, and most of the adults I know would never actually go back to being 14 or 15 if magically given the chance. But it's not like remembering the good things about being between childhood and full adulthood is totally delusional either.

joined Feb 1, 2021

The assumption that your teen years are the best, more shining and radiant part of your life—and that as soon as you reach legal majority you become a decaying thing that can only crawl in the rotting morass of adulthood all the way to your death—is very much a common Japanese idea... but it isn't at all a Western idea; more like the opposite, in fact.

On the other hand, "Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen

Homura-devil
joined May 7, 2018

The yuri was so strong the bald dude grew a mohawk.

The yuri is so strong that it sent all 3 into a flashback of their youth. All of them look younger and different from any of the other panels, it's just easier to see with bald dude because of the mohawk

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Not a Western idea? Where have you been? The worship of youth wasn't always a big Western thing, but it sure has been since the mid-20th-century or so. As someone pointed out, it typically includes college years . . . but I'd say that's the case in Japan too. And, rock and roll in particular has always been about youth, right from the hippie "never trust anyone over 30" days. Certainly youth and the desperate attempt to maintain it is probably the single biggest component of modern advertising culture.

For one very overt (if possibly ironic) musical statement of this ethos, consider Pink Floyd "High Hopes":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jMlFXouPk8

last edited at Nov 20, 2022 7:12PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Man, a lot of stereotyping going on about this.

Looking back fondly at the time in your life when you weren't responsible for holding down a job, for taking care of a family, for buying car or home insurance, etc., and remembering when you had the time to get totally wrapped up in your friends and to spend large chunks of your time thinking about music, grooving to music, and finding new music to love, and before the main tracks of your life were set--that all seems pretty normal, whatever one's generation.

Sure, it was never all good, and most of the adults I know would never actually go back to being 14 or 15 if magically given the chance. But it's not like remembering the good things about being between childhood and full adulthood is totally delusional either.

For sure. I mean, I'm overall happier now, because I fell in love, got married, and never fell back out again. No more storm and stress on the romantic front is a Good Thing. But the whole university scene of my youth was great and I did have a lot of fun.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

YURI AURA CLEASING POWAAARR!!!

ah, to be young again.

btw wlftchtr82, they mention Muse!

I’m adding it to the Doc!
(tomorrow, don’t have my pc with me)

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Muse, huh? I quite like some of their stuff.

Tumblr_nbee0zysh31tbx9b9o1_1280
joined Dec 5, 2014

guys....listen to me...I know this is gonna be a shocker but and listen carefully, some people....do have good experiences as a teenager...I know, shocking right?

370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

Your whole life should be grand and shining, don't feel like things are over just because people say they're over
Don't let people strip your time and opportunities away from you just because they couldn't do the same

9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

Wonderful chapter

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

Bruh, why does it look like Mitsuki has magic marler on her forehead? XD (Chiiiill it's a joke, but yeah hair looks a little different this time.)
And awesome we got to see side characters as teens. That mohawk was awesome! Bro! Grow it back! XD
They got cleansed I'm dying XD

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

Me every Sunday: "It can't really get any better than this, really".
This manga every next Sunday: "You are wrong AGAIN!"

I felt this! XD

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

That mohawk was awesome! Bro! Grow it back! XD

That may no longer be possible for him anymore--part of that adult "decaying" thing they were talking about.

last edited at Nov 20, 2022 9:59PM

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

Me every Sunday: "It can't really get any better than this, really".
This manga every next Sunday: "You are wrong AGAIN!"

I felt this! XD

Agreed! Instead of dreading and resisting the end of my weekend, I find myself thinking that it's almost time for an update and I'm actually excited to move forward in time.

joined Mar 4, 2019

those faces tho, lol

joined Sep 25, 2022

I fucking love this manga, I need a physical release of this STAT

Freenbeckforever
joined Oct 28, 2022

Why would we feel offended?

They call "decaying" people of thirty something. It's a pretty strong word.

Surprise(2)
joined Jun 17, 2021

The yuri was so strong the bald dude grew a mohawk.

Since they all changed their look, I'd say it meant they were so refreshed, they went back to a younger time.

Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

LMAO they got cleansed

To reply you must either login or sign up.