Forum › Posts by whomstever

Download
joined May 11, 2022

The assumption that your teen years are the best, more shining and radiant part of your life—and that as soon as you reach legal majority you become a decaying thing that can only crawl in the rotting morass of adulthood all the way to your death—is very much a common Japanese idea... but it isn't at all a Western idea; more like the opposite, in fact. I'm surprised nobody felt offended by this strip and reacted with anger.

I guess we've all already been mentally colonized by the Japanese. :P Come to think of it, I haven't read any rants against lolicon manga in a long time...

wtf is this comment? Adults can't be nostalgic for their youth after seeing the next generation enjoying the art they enjoyed as teens? Especially when it's connected to counter culture. This was literally such a wholesome chapter. The fandom for this manga is so weirdly negative.

Download
joined May 11, 2022

Gotta say, them liking Aerosmith really took me outa it with this chapter lol. Nirvana, Pink Floyd, and foo fighters I could get behind and believe that alt teenage girls would like but with Aerosmith it now kinda feels like the author is just throwing in all these old bands in with no rhyme or reason. Like just because they are both technically rock bands there really isn't much overlap with a Nirvana fan and an Aerosmith fan. I kind of find it hard to believe that these gen Z kids wouldn't find them cringy. Also they have yet to show any interest in any female led pre-2000s rock bands like Hole or Bikini Kill, Bratmobile or like any of the bands that were associated with the Riot Grrrl revolution. Makes me think this author is a dude bc their music taste is bordering on dad-rock lol.

This is not to say that as a girl you CAN'T like these bands. Just speaking from experience as a girl who has been a life-long fan of rock music (both older and modern) that their music taste of theirs is beginning to feel a bit out of pocket

In one of the promotional art pieces the author did mention charli bliss which is a modern and female fronted band so maybe I'm just talking out my ass. Point is Aerosmith sucks and I find it weird that these otherwise hip teenage girls would like them.

Still loving this manga though

Download
joined May 11, 2022

damn this felt like it was building towards a pt 2 or like a college arc or something... bummer of an ending but hey if the author is done with it there's nothing we can do about it.

whomstever
School Zone discussion 14 May 19:13
Download
joined May 11, 2022

I'm glad that the fanbase is more or less on the same page about the siscon angst storyline being a blemish on an otherwise perfect yuri comedy. There is seriously sooo much good in this manga and their stupid melodrama is just so boring in comparison. And fuck a siscon ew

whomstever
Download
joined May 11, 2022
Ohp1

Wow never thought I'd see a Charly Bliss song referenced in a Japanese Yuri manga. Not because indie/alt rock isn't HUGE in Japan/east Asia in general (which it is) just because like what are the odds it would end up in an adorable music themed yuri? That's so fun.

A lot of American fans of indie rock listen to Japanese indie/math/punk/alt/whatever rock bands. So I'm surprised by how shocked people are by these music choices. Like ofc it would go both ways and little indie kids in Japan are keeping up with American bands.

Also I highly recommend Charly Bliss's Soft Serve EP and their 2017 LP Guppy. In my opinion they kinda lost their spark after that.

Download
joined May 11, 2022

Reread this while waiting for new chapters to come out. I really love all the details that go into Mitsuki's design. Especially like how she tones down her style for school like taking her piercings out and covering the tattoo on her wrist. Really nice attention to detail on the author's part and I think it makes this whole misunderstanding trope slightly more realistic when she's actively not trying to stand out in school. I figure it's more of a personal choice on Mitsuki's part and not because of a strict dress code because all the other classmates have earrings, make up, and painted nails in school. It's this weird juxtaposition of not wanting to stand out or make friends, while acting surprisingly bold/confident with the girl she likes. Though I am wondering if she just paints her nails every day before work just to take it off for school idk seems like a force to me lol.