Forum › Brides of Iberis discussion

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Yeah hate to be the bearer of bad news Mizuki but that's never going to happen with what you decided to go with and with who. She should honestly get out of this before she's in too deep. All she's going to end up with by the end of this series is heartbroken because she's just gonna keep getting more and more jealous knowing she's never going to get this wedding and being alone with her in that it's only them two in the relationship.

Date and going out to eating was cute you can see that she does care for Mizuki but she's never going to drop the two dudes and crap. The more this series goes on I think the more were gonna see Mizuki slowly breaking down bit by bit. Asking for more time with her being upset when she has to follow the silly schedule thing etc. Mizuki seems okay with all of that right now. But the more time they spend together the deeper she's going to fall. Hell the repercussions of that last page alone are gonna be interesting to see next chapter. Especially knowing she's marrying dude number two already and said she didn't even care to get married she was just doing it for him.

last edited at Nov 1, 2022 3:24PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

The pace obviously accelerated madly.

I'm going to miss it. I hope she starts a new series soon.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

i'm sure that's not gonna cause any problems aaaaat aaaaall.

joined Sep 6, 2018

Ahhh, that’s the best way to scare off a player, the test for commitment. She’s gonna find a way to split/cut-off relationship next issue.

I like the series. Looking forward to its resolution seeing that the plot has accelerated.

joined Jan 13, 2021

Kashiwai: Hey, everyone! Welcome to the latest episode of Manga Appreciation with the Wedding Spanners! I'm your host Kashiwai, and this devastatingly beautiful woman with whom I would sacrifice anything to be is Tsuzuki!

Tsuzuki: I'm not sure locking radio hosts in cabinets and hijacking their programs is the best way to spend our weekly session, honey.

Kashiwai: Today, we're going to be discussing the latest chapter of Brides of Iberis, a story about a wedding planner whose ideas of conventional matrimony are completely overturned when she meets a mysterious, enchanting woman at the center of a dizzying web of relationships. As chaotic and absurd as it may be, the wedding planner just can't resist this siren's free-love charms! And so she's pulled breathlessly into a complex, labyrinthine midnight realm of contracts and deals-

Tsuzuki: For the last time, it's not that hard, I maintain a fucking chart-

Kashiwai: - And all resemblances to real figures are entirely coincidental.

Tsuzuki: Oh. Totally. Blondie wishes she had an ass as fat as mine.

Kashiwai: So! Let's talk about space! One of my favorite things about this story is the way it composes space, weaving the world around a character into patterns that match their connections to the environment, the vista of their thoughts, the landscape of their feelings. For instance, don't you just love how this- totally fictional- Mizuki girl's memories of the first wedding she saw are utterly suffused with detail, almost more vivid than the day she was there, and then we switch to her apartment and it's almost like she's floating in a void, the walls that once housed and confined her now seeming so distant and abyssal, leaving her with nothing but herself in the wake of her way of life?

Tsuzuki: Mm-hmm. Hate being left with myself. Last time it happened, I ended up catching the attention of the single most repressed dame I've ever seen. Damn good kisser, though.

Kashiwai: Aww. Yeah, one way I- I mean, this Mizuki chick- can cope with the profound dread of purposelessness and uncertainty is to seek comfort in the warmth of my- her- lover's arms. Just look at how space takes on detail and form again around Mizuki when she's with Nanami, anchoring her back to the surroundings, letting her latch on to the faith that there's still opportunity and direction left in her life, that she's just moving into a new phase rather than relinquishing everything like she feared earlier.

Tsuzuki: You know what you sure as hell weren't relinquishing last night, babe? My-

Kashiwai: Ahem! Breast of all, I adore how space fades back into blankness when Nanami and Mizuki finally come together, in this fascinating inversion of the emptiness Mizuki experienced when she was alone. Once again, the details are fading out, melting away as her body and mind become the center of her world, but this time it's not because she's alone, but because she's got someone she can devote her entire heart to, glorying in a sense of the present, in a bliss she's wanted and needed for so very long. For a night, she can forget all the anxieties, all the deadlines and obligations and pressures. For a night, the schedule goes out of the window and it's all just them, together. Let me tell you, folks, as a wedding planner, that's nothing short of heaven.

Tsuzuki: Mm-hmm. As a wedding-haver, I can confirm there's nothing better than having a wedding-planner.

Kashiwai: Speaking of wedding planners, I like the irony of Mizuki finding that Nanami's got a whole chart detailing her arrangements. In the beginning, she'd thought this woman was the most irresponsible, immoral person imaginable, but now she discovers that she's actually got everything worked out neatly? Talk about a surprise!

Tsuzuki: Yep. On the other hand, you'd think Mizuki really had it all together in the beginning with her self-righteous act, but now she's just been left by her fiancé, suspected of unprofessionalism by everyone at her job, and is entirely unsure of where she's headed in life. Oh, honey. What in the world would you do without me?

Kashiwai: Oh, I couldn't imagine. Can't visualize a different version of events for the life of me. Must be the smoke from all the bridges I've burned. And I'm sure I'll burn as many more as it takes for you!

Tsuzuki: Go off, queen. Just try not to get caught, okay? I'm not sure if "asking your boyfriend and husband to bail out your girlfriend (pending wife status) for arson" is part of this whole polyamory deal. Also, I think the radio host's about to break out.

Kashiwai: On that note, let's wrap this session up! What thrills, scandals, adventures and distressingly-short-length-induced-climactic-developments does Brides of Iberis have in store? Find out next time on Manga Appreciation With the Wedding Spanners, airing whenever I feel like screaming into the airwaves again about how I was literally created to suffer!

Tsuzuki: Also, follow Mizuki's wedding planner salon on Twitter for updates on when they're all going to murder each other. DM applications to the polycule have also been closed at present due to an overwhelming number of submissions. Until next time, fam. Remember to always fuck around and find out.

last edited at Nov 1, 2022 5:47PM

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

The solution to this issue seems to be that Mizuki just needs her own polyamorous ball of women to cycle between as well

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

I'm a little disappointed to hear about the abrupt coming of the end, I hope it can at least be salvaged to satisfactory.

I wonder what kind of ending we'll get with only... two more chapters?

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Agh I just can't help feeling sad reading this chapter. It's a good chapter, but you could see there were a lot of things Akiyama Haru wanted to delve into more before getting to this current point. The pay off of Tsuzuki and Mizuki finally sleeping together didn't feel as satisfying. Also Mizuki realizing she wanted to marry Tsuzuki didn't hit as hard as it could since we didn't really get to explore what led her feelings to this. She's already always been swept up in her emotions when it comes to Tsuzuki, but sigh just wished we had a bit more time with the two of them learning more about each other to make the pace feel bit more natural.

Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

This may be a little mean-spirited but given the widespread negative attitudes towards polyamory in fiction, I find it very satisfying that it is consistently Kashiwai's monogamy that causes problems in this series. She's the one who goes out and kisses Tsuzuki behind her partner's back while Tsuzuki is perfectly transparent with her partners, and now it seems Kashiwai wants Tsuzuki all to herself, without any thought to what Tsuzuki wants (obviously not that). Indeed, throughout this chapter you can tell that Tsuzuki is paying much more attention to what Kashiwai is feeling than vice versa. Kashiwai laughs it off when Tsuzuki asks if she was put off by the scheduling calendar, but she does seem genuinely bothered by Tsuzuki's boundaries if this striking panel from last chapter is anything to go by (https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/brides_of_iberis_ch08#27), and I don't think her strategy of "laughing off the gaps between us" is going to hold for long. With Junichi and possibly now again with Tsuzuki, Kashiwai is bad at communicating when what she wants out of a relationship doesn't line up with what her partner wants, and bad at respecting the agreed-upon boundaries of that relationship, and if she doesn't change course it seems likely that she'll end up with neither of them (albeit perhaps a little wiser).

It's a pity we won't get to see the fallout play out at the lovely slow pace this manga has had so far, but the uptick in tempo this chapter was done smoothly enough that I hope it can be done satisfactorily.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

This may be a little mean-spirited but given the widespread negative attitudes towards polyamory in fiction, I find it very satisfying that it is consistently Kashiwai's monogamy that causes problems in this series.

I wouldn't say it's "her monogamy" that's the issue, exactly, more what you said about her not being honest with her partners (or, really, herself) about what she wants.

Like, what's the endgame here? She doesn't really, truly seem comfortable with "sharing" her crush. But she's also unwilling to give it up, both because of the strength of those feelings and, likely, a sunk-cost thing. "I've already sacrificed my other relationship for this, if I give up now it'll have been for nothing."

So what happens? Mizuki learns to accept and be happy with "just" being one name among several on Tsuzuki's schedule? Tsuzuki gives up on her other relationships in order to be with Mizuki? I feel like the two of them, despite their feelings, are just fundamentally incompatible.

joined May 29, 2021

This may be a little mean-spirited but given the widespread negative attitudes towards polyamory in fiction, I find it very satisfying that it is consistently Kashiwai's monogamy that causes problems in this series.

This is a terrible example of Polyamory to the point where it barely counts. Polyamory stories work best when everyone involved is, if not in love with, at least cares about the other members. Nanami is the beneficiary of ALL of the love in this scenario. The two men clearly, at best, merely tolerate each other and both would probably rather not share. Mitsuki's boss is nearly openly hostile to her about it. This is a situation that only benefits Nanami. She might be honest about it, but it's very clear that everyone else involved only goes along with it because they like HER that much. I'm sorry, this is just a harem. And hell, the people involved are more hostile to each other than most typical harem scenarios I've seen. If THIS was the common portrayal of polyamory I'd be against it too, because this is toxic as hell and makes about the worst case possible for it.

The best polyamory stories have the group of characters fall in love with each other. Maybe it might START as a love triangle in some instances, but work is done to build the relationship between the others in time. There is no way in hell that would have happened in this story, even if the plot wasn't massively accelerating.

joined Dec 18, 2020

This is a terrible example of Polyamory to the point where it barely counts. Polyamory stories work best when everyone involved is, if not in love with, at least cares about the other members. Nanami is the beneficiary of ALL of the love in this scenario. The two men clearly, at best, merely tolerate each other and both would probably rather not share. Mitsuki's boss is nearly openly hostile to her about it. This is a situation that only benefits Nanami. She might be honest about it, but it's very clear that everyone else involved only goes along with it because they like HER that much. I'm sorry, this is just a harem. And hell, the people involved are more hostile to each other than most typical harem scenarios I've seen. If THIS was the common portrayal of polyamory I'd be against it too, because this is toxic as hell and makes about the worst case possible for it.

The best polyamory stories have the group of characters fall in love with each other. Maybe it might START as a love triangle in some instances, but work is done to build the relationship between the others in time. There is no way in hell that would have happened in this story, even if the plot wasn't massively accelerating.

I'm not going to pretent to understand polyamory relationships, I can't imagine sharing my partner, but I think you're right. The good polyamory stories that I've read (Luminous=Blue comes to mind) feel more like the characters are in love with multiple ppl.

Regardless, wether this is a good repesentation of polyamory or not, I agree with most of the comments here. I can only see a dark and gloomy ending to this story because MC is clearly not comfortable with sharing her crush. It would surprise me if the author manages to pull of a "happy" or "good" ending without making it super forced.

last edited at Nov 1, 2022 7:18PM

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

2 more chapters.
Still waiting for big wedding cake....knife...

Jesus
joined Sep 3, 2022

I was so happy for the update, now I'm so sad that it only has two chapters left. Thank you, translators.

I agree in most parts. It is more explicit here, but it stands to every relationship: the need to a good communication. Kashiwai is still working on that for sure, aren't we all? Everything is so new to her, I understand why she would reproduce old habits, even though Tsuzuki is constantly reassuring it's ok to be honest.

I don't find the love connections toxic, as it was said. Kashiwai's boss was kind of a douche also because she was mixing private life with work, the Tsuzuki's fiance was cool in the meeting after knowing Kashiwai and Tsuzuki were in love. The thing is, monogamy is best at the beginning. Because of hormones you get that rush, a need do spend as much time as you can with the person you love, while polyamory is great after all that.

I believe in the author's capacity to deliver a good ending. I don't think we will get a full angst ending, sorrow and stuff. By meeting Tsuzuki, Kashiwai was able to fall in love hard, that's a first, get some alone time and reflect upon what she wants. I find those important things, Kashiwai was so blasé, look at here now. That's another thing about polyamory that I feel it's being emphatyze, you can get some time alone (except fot Tsuzuki, I don't know how she manages). We might even get a third important thing of polyamory: fluidity. Things aren't set on stone, you can ajust things. It would be a first to Tsuzuki, she is such a evolved character that ramained the same from the beggining.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

What I like in this one is that they're acting like adults. Both women never get angsty, or even pondering about "but we're both women!".

Both Kashiwai and Tsuzuki just accept that being in love with someone of the same sex happens and it's perfectly fine. It's refreshing to see characters being adults and giving not a single fuck about what "society" could think. Tsuzuki was already there, being in an open relationship, but Kashiwai quickly caught up. She came out at her job, dumped her boyfriend and was really upfront about wanting to get physical with Tsuzuki.

Parents? Family? Colleagues? Friends? "They'll take me as I am or they can go to hell. For once, I'm in love and that's what's important."

She only felt guilty at first because she was betraying Jun. But on the other hand, we can see that Jun just noped the fuck out at the first hint she might have cheated on him. He didn't ask, didn't try to talk, just ran away. Meaning that he wasn't really in love with Kashiwai either. He was just doing what everyone was expecting of him: marrying, having one or two kids, working hard at his job. Working hard at his relationship? Nope. He'll find another one in no time: men with a stable job are in high demand in Japan.

As for people complaining that it's not a good representation of polyamory, they may be right, because in the end, it's not strictly "polyamory", but an open relationship. One could even say it's a bisexual harem. While Tsuzuki loves all of her partners, the others don't have to love or sex each other for it to work. They just have to accept to share. And it takes adults to do this. Not manchilds like Jun.

And contrary to what people expect, I think we'll get a happy ending and the four ways relationship will work, because Kashiwai and Tsuzuki want it to work. Tsuzuki is free. And that's what Kashiwai loves about her. The end of this chapter shows that Tsuzuki really cares about Kashiwai: making her breakfast, walking her to the station, talking about taking her to the beach, or pool... In the end, she's everything Kashiwai wanted for a partner.

Someone she wants to stay together forever and walk down the aisle with.

joined Sep 6, 2018

Seeing that this thread is coming to an end, I’d like to hand out a notification for the best posting-person in this thread: “TEMP”—Is the best posting person in this thread because of clever sentences imbued with humor and concise observations in the manga. The settings of each post changes from honest analysis like it came from the author TO a radio show hosted by manga characters. Very funny, whoever you are, keep it up!

last edited at Nov 2, 2022 4:04AM

Phpcmgiip_c2pm
joined Dec 14, 2016

What I like in this one is that they're acting like adults. Both women never get angsty, or even pondering about "but we're both women!".

Both Kashiwai and Tsuzuki just accept that being in love with someone of the same sex happens and it's perfectly fine. It's refreshing to see characters being adults and giving not a single fuck about what "society" could think. Tsuzuki was already there, being in an open relationship, but Kashiwai quickly caught up. She came out at her job, dumped her boyfriend and was really upfront about wanting to get physical with Tsuzuki.

Parents? Family? Colleagues? Friends? "They'll take me as I am or they can go to hell. For once, I'm in love and that's what's important."

She only felt guilty at first because she was betraying Jun. But on the other hand, we can see that Jun just noped the fuck out at the first hint she might have cheated on him. He didn't ask, didn't try to talk, just ran away. Meaning that he wasn't really in love with Kashiwai either. He was just doing what everyone was expecting of him: marrying, having one or two kids, working hard at his job. Working hard at his relationship? Nope. He'll find another one in no time: men with a stable job are in high demand in Japan.

As for people complaining that it's not a good representation of polyamory, they may be right, because in the end, it's not strictly "polyamory", but an open relationship. One could even say it's a bisexual harem. While Tsuzuki loves all of her partners, the others don't have to love or sex each other for it to work. They just have to accept to share. And it takes adults to do this. Not manchilds like Jun.

And contrary to what people expect, I think we'll get a happy ending and the four ways relationship will work, because Kashiwai and Tsuzuki want it to work. Tsuzuki is free. And that's what Kashiwai loves about her. The end of this chapter shows that Tsuzuki really cares about Kashiwai: making her breakfast, walking her to the station, talking about taking her to the beach, or pool... In the end, she's everything Kashiwai wanted for a partner.

Someone she wants to stay together forever and walk down the aisle with.

It's not fair to him to call it running away. To him anything she does/say would not fix what has happened. You can't put a blanket sentiment of if you really love someone you would try to figure out a problem. Some problems are just deal breakers for some people. Once it occurs and the trust is lost there is no going back for some people.
Just like how you afford the open relationship to the other characters offer the same to a character who considers trust as the main currency in a relationship and once it's spent, it's gone for them.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

My emoji for her: Akabō van - like a U-Haul.

Freenbeckforever
joined Oct 28, 2022

What do you mean it's ending? But Octave lasted FIVE VOLUMES!
What did poor Brides Of Iberis do wrong??

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

too much het, probably

Weiwei
joined Oct 9, 2017

Oh yeah impossible relationships between incompatible people that love each others. As if I didn't have enough of those IRL. :")

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

too much het, probably

I think the problems tackled in this series are probably too ahead of it's time.... (or maybe needed a different marketing strategy)

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

Characterizing polyamory as requiring relationships between a person and their partner's other partner(s), is totally inaccurate. My friend doesn't even know their Partner A's many other partners, and their Partner B isn't in a relationship with Partner A either.
(Obviously not saying there aren't often 3+ people mutually in a relationship).
I also would disagree with saying Tsuzuki's male partners seem to just be tolerating the whole polyamory thing. They're chill with it.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013
Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

god I sure had to read this chapter backward to ease myself into it, whoof the tension. But it does seem like the ride never ends so I am looking forward to seeing where we go from here.

To reply you must either login or sign up.