Forum › Posts by commiecat

commiecat
Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

This sucked tbh, really did not do the topic justice. just using it for a shallow plot element

commiecat
Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

speedrun the sex, which failed (and amazingly she didn't force Mion), so they speedran the breakup.

You can publish a lot, but idk if the magazine would've wanted to publish a graphic depiction of date rape.

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

Let's see what insights about Blondie this manga will give us. Curious, as someone who has at times been closer to Blondie than Glasses in my relationships...

commiecat
Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

Something's telling me this manga REALLY wants to be the most yuri yuri to ever have yuri'd. And I shall support that, because it IS my favourite yuri manga of all time.

Don't think 3 or 4 pairings we're currently on is that many, I think you can find some with more couples :P Maybe some yuri veteran could chip in, but "A kiss and a white lily" would be my shout, it has like a bazillion pairings that I don't even remember. Sometimes quantity has a quality of its own :P

And welcome!

I'd put up Virgin's Empire, there's a ton in that, though I'd have to count it out and compare with A Kiss and a White Lily

last edited at Sep 4, 2023 10:34PM

commiecat
Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

I like that they're not simply a tsundere trope dynamic. They're cute! I'd love to see more of them

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

I more or less get what direction that conversation between Jin-Ran and the senpai went but I'm still so confused. How did it jump around so much like that and still stay on the same few pages?

Because drunk, but also because, until the end, senpai was trying to avoid the topic of Jin-Ran liking her. It's a scary situation, as she explained.

Another factor was the server coming with their drinks—an easy excuse to change the topic to something less personal. 10/10 chapter here imo.
They both talk around how they just had an exchange of feelings, Jin-Ran happy to play along with her senpai. Eventually it's Gujou who can't handle the "storm," the unspoken tension, and drops the game mid-sentence to say just that. Jin-Ran, further showing how she's genuinely happy to be with Gujou, responds by pointing back to the art discussion in her response. Jin-Ran is also metaphorically going out to sea, she's only accepted it sooner than Gujou.
An important display of this is how she didn't immediately answer Gujou's question she stalled a little. I'm pretty sure they both knew why Gujou was asking the question, and both knew what Jin-Ran would answer, but there's still nervousness. For Gujou, she's worried about not knowing what to do even if "the piece is right in front of [her]." Meanwhile, Jin-Ran is worried about reciprocation as evidenced by what she says at the art museum "I hope that you'll come to think the same too." The final line of the chapter is also phrased as a question, "are you ready/do you want to go out?" not "we should go out" or "please go out with me."
It was a little hard to decipher at first, but their entire scene at the museum is about love. Gujou's crush on Ibuki and the growing relationship between her and Jin-Ran. Ultimately, I think Jin-Ran is very right. There is no right way to love or fall in love; if you enjoy being with someone, isn't that good?

Some people may not enjoy the very subtextual nature of this manga, but I'm here for it.

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

But she's also aware of her feelings for Aya and the budding thing that's building up between them. Choosing to stay or go isn't a simple decision, but some part of it has to feel to her like choosing between her own happiness and her uncle's. He knows that, too, which is why he makes a point to tell her that he doesn't regret staying at all. So she doesn't know what to do, so she's doing what she does and stewing about it internally until she makes a decision.

This tbh. The subtext is very rich and up to interpretation in this chapter, but I think Koga's lack of assuaging points to her still trying to work things out. She doesn't want to say anything she doesn't mean, make promises she can't keep. All she can do is affirm her love and hold Aya's hand, trying to let her know that she cares.

I relate to Koga in the lack of explicit communication and the stewing more than I'd like.
But omg they're holding hands omg!!!

last edited at Jul 13, 2023 3:14AM

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

I feel like I need to do a reread of this series, the infrequent releases have made my understanding of the plot hazy at best. All I know is these bitches gay and can enjoy a fine wine.

Please no one have annoying arguments about art btw

commiecat
Piquant discussion 06 Jul 17:33
Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

I like the portrayal of boredom here. I just got back home in the countryside myself after becoming used to a busier life in the city, and I'm feeling similar things. Only difference is that the school has more opportunity for socializing.

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

This is such a sad manga. I hate seeing Adachi fall into these toxic and obsessive patterns, and I love the author for that.
This dynamic of seemingly outwardly cold, but that being a misread of the person's internal monologue contrasted with a person frustratedly obsessed with the love they share to a degree that is unhealthy to both parties... It hits too close to home, and I'm glad it was written

commiecat
Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

This manga is so cute. Girls not wanting to admit they're in love can get a bit annoying since it's so overdone, but I like this one. While the reversal aspect isn't exactly new ground, I really like the execution of Ruka's unintentional infatuation with Suuna.

commiecat
Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

Myuu quietly acting to cheer Yumi up, and knowing it's best just to let her complain through it... if that ain't love then I've never been in love.

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

It's a shame risa doesn't have a chance from a storytelling perspective because she's so nice. She doesn't "deserve" Ayaka's love because of that, but she doesn't deserve a twisted universe where it's impossible for writing direction reasons (there'd at least be a glimmer of a chance if it weren't for the title...)

Maybe I just relate too much lol, and I know it's not gonna have a poly ending, oh so well.

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

...Also It's worth remembering that Lovecraft did start to come around on the racism issue before he died

Ehhh, from my understanding he stopped believing in genetic racial superiority, but only because he started believing that his favorite European cultures were superior to the other, inferior cultures. He adopted a more modern type of racism, he didn't stop being racist.

last edited at May 15, 2023 12:54AM

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

For that matter, is there any reason why all the assumptions are that she is the uncle's ex instead of current wife/lover? IIRC, there was no mention of the uncle's status so far.

If it was current she'd probably not have to ask how the uncle's doing, she'd be up to date.

commiecat
Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

Except no, because Baba bitch boy stuck around, with no more purpose as a character except to confuse the reader and make them uncomfortable.

He's only there because the brother wanted him to be, it's obvious in-universe, let alone from a story perspective.

This manga probably isn't for you because of the history of cheating elements tbh, I'd just drop it.

commiecat
Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

Yunduo having a thing for Xiaoen?

She cares a lot about Xiaoen. She loves her, one could easily interpret it is a romantic love instead of only platonic love (with yuri goggles properly adjusted). Whatever the case, Yunduo isn't jealous, and wants what's best for Xiaoen, so helping out the girl Xiaoen likes makes sense.

last edited at May 4, 2023 8:57AM

commiecat
Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

; ( poor girl

commiecat
Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

And then there's the origin of the word, where harems were comprised of women having sex with a noble and looking pretty in his estate in exchange for luxury and a high social standing. More prostitution than romance

To be clear, this origin is a misconception. That understanding of the word comes from Europeans' orientalist imaginings about Muslim harems. The origin of the term is in describing a part of the house where only women and children are allowed. In the time before slavery was abolished in the Islamic world, this did include concubines, since they were women. It was more domicile than personal brothel.

You can probably imagine how and why Europeans got creative with what harem meant.

I agree with many others, and applaud the Akiyama Haru for wrapping this up so skillfully with such short notice.

last edited at Dec 29, 2022 10:31AM

commiecat
Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

So.. Mangadex stuck at 15chapters last updated 7months ago..., yet all the raws until vol 8 exist on the internet. So... what happened I ask... Because, Sexy Ak dropped it too, why would no translation group pick it up?

iirc Akiba Detectives did these chapters as commissions, so if you wanna see them keep going ya gotta pay up

Scanlation groups can do that? I'd figure there would be legal issues abound taking commisions for fan translations

There's legal issues scanlating in general. It's robbing the TV when you've already pocketed their cell phone.

commiecat
Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

I liked the Meat one. Even as a trans woman, I still connected with the story a good bit. Its themes are a bit more general than its dressing.
Overall, I like the cohesive set of mostly independent one-shots. A true multi-course meal! Not sure what to point to, but it feels more unified than those anthologies that all follow one theme or another. Maybe just a consistent author?
I think the author struck a good balance in terms of the lengths of the different chapters. I feel like there isn't enough appreciation for the short, sweet, and to the point. The pieces that convey an emotion, an idea, a circumstance, and are satisfied with that.

last edited at Dec 18, 2022 2:51AM

commiecat
Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

Characterizing polyamory as requiring relationships between a person and their partner's other partner(s), is totally inaccurate. My friend doesn't even know their Partner A's many other partners, and their Partner B isn't in a relationship with Partner A either.
(Obviously not saying there aren't often 3+ people mutually in a relationship).
I also would disagree with saying Tsuzuki's male partners seem to just be tolerating the whole polyamory thing. They're chill with it.

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

Ahh!! My favorite series that I forgot about! Normally I would just reread the previous two chapters after a long break, but with this one I knew I had to reread the whole thing. So worth it. Every moment written is so wonderful.

I really liked Ibu-chan in this chapter, that scene between her and Umi was really touching. What we saw of Shou and Umi this chapter was really great too! The bed flop is very relatable.

last edited at Oct 1, 2022 1:03PM

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

Damn, I could never say no to letting Rio stay for a bit. I'd be annoyed at there being no plan to help with rent if they were looking for a long-term thing, but everyone needs somewhere to sleep.

I do hope they go into the more serious, sad part of Rio's story though, otherwise it feels unearned narratively.

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

Oh my God! Thanks for the clarification Kirin-kun.
This chapter!!! I hate seeing Oosawa sad, but knew it was inevitable. That's why I read these. Hopefully Mitsuki can find her and help her feel better ;~;
I think next chapter will be more sadness as Oosawa thinks about this alone, but after that maybe? I'm hopeful these gays will figure things out together.