Forum › My Dear Lass discussion

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

Noo they are increasing the distance from one another. =(
Im starting to doubt they will even meet at the festival...

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

The artwork is so engaging, but I sure have a bad feeling. I just want them to enjoy peaches together.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Daremo from Parts Unknown, banned for a day. There was really no reason for you to get involved, especially not like that.

Maqueovelic, I find your characterization of Cogito's posts inaccurate. I counted too. The personal issues that you have with Cogito are not welcome here. Read below.

Cogito, refrain from justifying yourself next time. It's just making more work.

Mod Stuff

Any further off-topic discussion in this thread will be removed. Future offenders will be banned, possibly forever. Thread will be cleaned in a few hours, including most (or all) previous off-topic discussion. My apologies to those who attempted to be civil. Posts may always be recovered in the FAQ thread. Any further discussion of etiquette should be directed to there or the aforementioned Cafe. Thanks.

last edited at Oct 12, 2022 6:58PM

joined Jul 21, 2020

Xingyuan is thinking about settling in the town to become closer to Xiaoen and at the same time getting cold feet about it... which is normal for somebody with her emotional baggage, but I'm certain she will make the right choices in the end.

Speaking about baggage, that beautician who's doing Xiaoen's nails seems to come from some kind of bad emotional experience in his past. The dialogue between them is ambiguous, but that much seems clear.

If it wasn't for the context of the plot I would speculate he's gay. (Yes I know, typecasting male beauticians, sorry; but somehow his conversation scene with Xiaoen struck me as a gay man + female friend scene.) But in a small town, against the background of a homophobic society, him being gay would be an enormous issue and everyone would be talking about it, which is not the case.... so I must be wrong.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Xingyuan is thinking about settling in the town to become closer to Xiaoen and at the same time getting cold feet about it... which is normal for somebody with her emotional baggage, but I'm certain she will make the right choices in the end.

Speaking about baggage, that beautician who's doing Xiaoen's nails seems to come from some kind of bad emotional experience in his past. The dialogue between them is ambiguous, but that much seems clear.

If it wasn't for the context of the plot I would speculate he's gay. (Yes I know, typecasting male beauticians, sorry; but somehow his conversation scene with Xiaoen struck me as a gay man + female friend scene.) But in a small town, against the background of a homophobic society, him being gay would be an enormous issue and everyone would be talking about it, which is not the case.... so I must be wrong.

He could be closeted.

Also, small towns can go either way. There are definitely small towns where they make exceptions of locals, like they're homophobic in general, but this specific person who grew up here is well loved so it's ok.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

La duchesse de Pecquigny, banned for a month for evading the previous warning by commenting further on a closed issue, and editing the previously deleted image into your post from September 12th. Don't do it again.

Mod Notes

Thread has been cleaned of all off-topic posts after September 13th. Your post being removed does not inherently mean you have done anything wrong, but this step appears necessary given the current climate of this thread.
One response from InMyFlesh to Purple Library Guy has been preserved at the bottom of this post. Responses to the preserved post will be considered off-topic and follow the guidelines below.

The previous note will remain in perpetuity. Removals will occur with some discrimination, but likely very little. Bans will be measured individually by the mod assessing them. Attempts to evade this by editing past posts will see your account removed from the site permanently, and possibly more.

If clarification is needed before a post is made, please ask in the FAQ thread. Thank you.

InMyFlesh posted:

I feel like I'm being misrepresented a fair amount in these posts, which seem fairly clearly to be referring in part to something I said.

Hiya, taking up Orange's offer to reply to you! I've been pretty busy since last night, but from what I can see, yeah, Cogito covered it—my pain came from those other posters who were super offensive. Now do I disagree with you about pigeonhole-ing, sure! It's not a reason to fight though, and obviously it should be fine for both of us to say whether we think a character is a certain way or not, no biggie. It's when we try to sit on each other's opinions in a dominating or toxic way, which crosses the line for me. I'd love it if conflicting ideas here could be expressed as "hey man, I totally respect that, but I have a different opinion that I also want to express". Not hard to be cool and happy. I know we all get overwhelmed and dark a bit sometimes, but there isn't ever room for what those other guys were saying in any form of communication. It was really hurtful, and I'm not sure why anyone tried piling up on Cogito after that because they (unsure on Cog's gender) handled it all pretty decently from what I remember. I'm really thankful for them (and you) for trying your best to stay chill when things could have turned emotional charged (others still have some learning to do, but that's life!!). Let's put this conversation behind us and cherish the beloved lesbians?

Did I do okay, Orange? I've been taking some trainings in deescalation (a couple of my uni classmates are racist as shit, so been trying to make things better for everyone before they ruin our whole semester) and I'm hoping I did the right thing here? I also followed my heart, but I fuck up a lot too, so it's always good to check with someone else.

You did okay. Thanks.

last edited at Oct 12, 2022 9:37PM

I was super busy yesterday, so I didn't get a chance to gush about Bai!! First impression is this is someone who's insightful—I'm glad Bai saw through Mu's words about Peachtown "not being good enough yet". I wonder if Mu was told that by someone she liked in the past?? She seems to really take it to heart, and while I think it's admirable that she's dedicated her daily life to improving her town, I really want to know what's motivating that connection so strongly.

Also, did anyone peep Shi's little neck tattoo?! So cute!! The silent longing and subtle distance between them was nice too, in its own way—very realistic for closeted sapphics.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Thread has been cleaned of all off-topic posts after September 13th.
[snip]

Then... we can finally talk about this superlatively lovely and adorable work of art without being flooded with unrelated content?

Wonderful!

Thanks as always for your hard work. About time for you to get your Nezchan on.

Kaseyamada
joined Jun 28, 2019

So iyo who is like a "little fox" and who is like a "little pony" in this couple?
I've been trying to figure it out but so far I still have no clue.
The "fox" in particular puzzles me: none of them seems really sly or crafty, much less a wily seductress. But the introduction describes one of them as such, sooo....... there gotta be something I missed.

Png-clipart-mega-man-x-mega-man-zero-2-mega-man-zero-collection-mega-man-bass-others-miscellaneous-video-game
joined Dec 18, 2021

So iyo who is like a "little fox" and who is like a "little pony" in this couple?
The "fox" in particular puzzles me: none of them seems really sly or crafty, much less a wily seductress. But the introduction describes one of them as such, sooo....... there gotta be something I missed.

The fox is the older one, according to description.

Xiaoen is 27, anyone remembers how old is Xingyuan?

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

I was super busy yesterday, so I didn't get a chance to gush about Bai!! First impression is this is someone who's insightful—I'm glad Bai saw through Mu's words about Peachtown "not being good enough yet". I wonder if Mu was told that by someone she liked in the past?? She seems to really take it to heart, and while I think it's admirable that she's dedicated her daily life to improving her town, I really want to know what's motivating that connection so strongly.

Also, did anyone peep Shi's little neck tattoo?! So cute!! The silent longing and subtle distance between them was nice too, in its own way—very realistic for closeted sapphics.

Huh. Now you have me wondering if Xiaoen might be trying to make the town more accepting of ... less conforming people. She certainly seems to have a great deal of influence and it seems like something that would fit her personality. It also might explain the relatively positive reaction most of her staff had to her rather obvious crush.

joined Jul 21, 2020

Huh. Now you have me wondering if Xiaoen might be trying to make the town more accepting of ... less conforming people. She certainly seems to have a great deal of influence and it seems like something that would fit her personality. It also might explain the relatively positive reaction most of her staff had to her rather obvious crush.

That's an interesting point I had overlooked. @flowsthead suggested that Bai could very well be gay and the townsfolk be totally ok with it—as long as Peach Town was the kind of place where sexual minorities and alternative lifestyles are welcome.

This theory gains a lot if we consider that, indeed, when Xiaoen reveals her feelings for Xingyuan in front of the farm staff, everbody reacts in a positive way.

Well, everybody except Sixi who reacts dumb and clueless, but that doesn't count. XD

joined Jul 21, 2020

The fox is the older one, according to description.

Xiaoen is 27, anyone remembers how old is Xingyuan?

I don't know if Xingyuan's age has been revealed, but I'm certain she's the "pony"—because she's reliable and hardworking like a good little horsey.

Xiaoen has a naughty side, like an unruly child; maybe "fox" comes from there?

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Nice. Good way to get past Xingyuan's fear is for Xiaoen to pursue her. I like that. Yunduo's reaction though feels a little ominous.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Nice. Good way to get past Xingyuan's fear is for Xiaoen to pursue her. I like that. Yunduo's reaction though feels a little ominous.

Yunduo is "picking up the sapphic vibes" if you will, and maybe she even understands the feeling as well...

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

ANOTHER CHAPTER!

We're so blessed.

So what happened in My Dear Lass ch10?

Xingyuan, who seemed to be such a cool and competent lesbian, suffered a uselessness attack and turned into a milksop.

Xiaoen, at first so silly and childish a character, had no choice but to girl the hell up and is in charge of the offensive now.

Yunduo, against all expectations, gladly took the role of wingwoman for Xiaoen.

And Sixi is still a big dafty. That about sums it up.

I'm endlessly delighted by how cinematographic the art style is. The perspectives, the movement, the choice of angles... every sequence of panels is made to look like a camera is following the characters. It almost feels like watching a real movie.

last edited at Oct 14, 2022 4:20AM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Yunduo is "picking up the sapphic vibes" if you will, and maybe she even understands the feeling as well...

Yeah I definitely get the impression that she caught on to the interest. It seems to only be Sixi that's not catching onto how obvious it is.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Breaking my heart, then fixing it again. Go get your girl!

Ugh, that would make me so happy!

ANOTHER CHAPTER!

We're so blessed.

So what happened in My Dear Lass ch10?

Xingyuan, who seemed to be such a cool and competent lesbian, suffered a uselessness attack and turned into a milksop.

Xiaoen, at first so silly and childish a character, had no choice but to girl the hell up and is in charge of the offensive now.

Yunduo, against all expectations, gladly took the role of wingwoman for Xiaoen.

And Sixi is still a big dafty. That about sums it up.

I'm endlessly delighted by how cinematographic the art style is. The perspectives, the movement, the choice of angles... every sequence of panels is made to look like a camera is following the characters. It almost feels like watching a real movie.

I'm really loving the reoccurring joke that Sixi thinks she's possessed and needs exorcized. Also this read partially like a DBZ episode review, and I need you to know I heard it in that voice, and it enhanced my life. Also using 'girl the hell up'—I am literally rewatching the Carmilla series for spooky month!!!

As for Shi, you know she was dying inside to touch Mu's hair too, definite jealousy there of the cousins (pretty sure they're cousins since they talk about family reunions and have different dads), which was the cute kind of angsting.

Yunduo seems to be out of her element with Mu showing such strong interest outside of her passion, and I'd speculate she's never seen her like this before. I think it's really cool that she's supporting her even if she doesn't fully understand why her cousin is acting off about this new girl.

And finally, yes!! This is very cinematic like a movie, maybe that's part of the reason I hold it in so high regard (although definitely the bigger reason is the story itself) and I think it really helps make it look so beautiful.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Also using 'girl the hell up'—I am literally rewatching the Carmilla series for spooky month!!!

Oh? You too?
I've been a fan of the Carmilla series since it premiered on Vervegirl. I remember eagerly waiting for more episodes while following the characters in the social networks and replying to their messages, haha.

As for Shi, you know she was dying inside to touch Mu's hair too, definite jealousy there of the cousins (pretty sure they're cousins since they talk about family reunions and have different dads)

I hadn't thought of it... but now that you mention it, it sounds plausible. It's a small town and most families must have close ties, so it wouldn't be surprising if these two are cousins to some degree.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Yeah I definitely get the impression that she caught on to the interest. It seems to only be Sixi that's not catching onto how obvious it is.

I also thought she caught the sapphic vibes, but her reaction is very neutral so I'm not sure if she's supportive yet, hence why I thought it was a ominous. But only a little ominous.

joined Apr 16, 2022

^ Good point that Yunduo's reaction is neutral. I don't really see her becoming an antagonist, I think she's been portrayed too positively for that, but I can definitely see her being...more concerned than excited, shall we say. After all, if Peachtown is like most rural areas it's going to have a lot of homophobes, and Xiaoen having such an important position within the town adds an extra layer of complication.

As an aside, the hot pot in this chapter looked delicious lol.

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

I also thought she caught the sapphic vibes, but her reaction is very neutral so I'm not sure if she's supportive yet, hence why I thought it was a ominous. But only a little ominous.

I also felt like it was ominous in the beginning, but Yunduo laughing at Sixi's continued obliviousness seems to suggest to me that she's not opposed in principle. I suspect that her looking serious was mostly due to putting together the puzzle pieces and being surprised at Xiaoen suddenly taking romantic interest in somebody, as her being single is apparently some kind of running gag in the town. So I'd say her looking a bit serious is because she realises that for Xiaoen, this is indeed a serious development and her agreeing to rent the room to Xingyuan as well as laughing at Sixi suggests to me that she's going to be supportive

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

"No point to get a priest, you can't exercise out The Gay."

E. Vigée Le Brun
joined Jun 8, 2021

"No point to get a priest, you can't exercise out The Gay."

Gay exercises? For lesbians?

Something like this, I guess.

To reply you must either login or sign up.