Forum › My Dear Lass discussion

joined Jun 15, 2020

A delightful chapter, again.

joined Apr 16, 2022

This chapter did a very effective job of making me immediately despise Xingyuan's family

Screenshot%202022-04-05%20021706
joined Jun 19, 2014

Ah shid, here we go again.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Ah, such an adorable, "weird", first half, and then the gut punch...

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

Well, getting yourself a farmer gf and don't bother talking more to those shit relatives seems to be the obvious solution.

Jokes aside though, I love the contrast in this chapter between Xiaoen being silly and adorable to the very uncomfortably real trauma of being gay in a homophobic environment. Really curious to see the developments as well as learn more about Mu Xiaoen's background as well, she seems to have her share of drama in store too.
Overall this series is really growing on me, I'm really grateful for the recent increase in translations for high-quality gay manhua and novels from China, they create so many great stories that really deserve to be read more broadly.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Well, Fuck. I hope she's able to find people that accept her soon, and is able to let go of those awful feelings her family has put on her and replace them with something comforting.

Bppble
joined Aug 22, 2022

Enter [obligatory homophobia arc]

This chapter had everything: beautiful art, gay panic, flirting, delicious food, characters heaping praise on a MC, crushing familial expectations, horrible high school classmates, and a good, ole dash of self loathing despite being in a new town, looking hella good, with the interest of a girl coloring your days!

Screw the aunt, screw the dad, screw the classmates, start a new life there! Instead of my happy usual "be gay, do crimes", I'll say " be gay, make crapes"!!

joined Mar 28, 2021

This chapter was so powerful.
Being rejected for being a lesbian by your classmate. Who denounces you to your family. Who treats you like sh*t and throw you out of the house.
Time passes.
And they give you a “chance to behave”.
I went through this.
I guess the author had a similar experience. If it’s not the case, rare empathy.
This chapter let me raw. And it is a great feeling, knowing that I made my way in life without anyone’s approval.
This is the kind of art I like: different cultures, different setups, same universal emotions.
Whatever happens next, thank you to the scanlators.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

ah the internalized homophobia, what a grand fantasy it would be to be without it, but at the same time I do appreciate when it's brought up handled and overcome, because these stories really wouldn't be the same without it.

And honestly while it certainly sucks to keep seeing the "homophobia arc" in fiction there is something uplifting in seeing the characters overcoming it and successfully becoming who they truly want to be in defiance of a world that wants nothing more than to deny everything that they are.

Not that I dislike stories where homophobia is a non-issue of course, but both can serve as good ground for different types of stories.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

Ooooohhhff we're gonna be one of these ones I see

Rip me open why dontcha

Every day I feel luckier and luckier my coming out was mostly met with "Yeah we know"s by friends and family.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Ah, such an adorable, "weird", first half, and then the gut punch...

I'm like you, I loved the first pages, especially Xingyuan's gaygrin™ after her silly little chat with Xiaoen -- a great addition to the collection of lesbianfaces™ in the forum!

... and then came the second half.

In any country, it's awful to be disowned and kicked out by your family. But in China, in a society where ancestor cult has been thoroughly internalized for thousands of years, it's significantly more horrible.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Well now I wanna fight another character's family I guess

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

Not that I dislike stories where homophobia is a non-issue of course, but both can serve as good ground for different types of stories.

I think it's good to have both! It's nice to have stories about struggles we can relate to, and it's also nice to sometimes get away from the realities of being in a queerphobic society and just enjoy cuteness.

I think this story is doing a great job so far of showing the wonderful, bright feeling of a crush just starting to bloom, as well as the harsh reminder that those feelings aren't accepted by everyone. I'm hoping that our leading ladies can find some solace and comfort with each other; the reactions of the other farm employees, Sixi aside, at least seem to indicate that they are alright? (the seemed to find Mu Xiaoen's gay panic cute)

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

I'm really glad they touch the homophobia theme because that's the reality of being queer in a more conservative environment. I honestly don't like it when the story completely ignores the fact that approaching another woman can be quite complicated in settings like these and that flirting or saying "I like you" doesn't necessarily get the point across without further explanations unless there has been a discussion about sexual orientation, etc... It's just not realistic, it's like those manga where there are no men present for some mysterious reason and it's like an alternate reality where everyone is gay or sth. But okay, lol, I didn't expect it to take that turn so soon and dive straight into some dark traumatic past! Also saying she's disgusting is kinda concerning, I guess she's gonna start avoiding her in the next chapters...?

last edited at Oct 5, 2022 1:14PM

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Came for the art. Staying to see if some peaches get devoured.

last edited at Oct 5, 2022 2:54PM

OneEyedOthinus
Bikko
joined Feb 17, 2022

Damn, wasn't expecting to get fucking decked today.
Definitely felt that second half, reminds me how I could have always had it worse.

joined Sep 27, 2017

I think it's good to have both! It's nice to have stories about struggles we can relate to, and it's also nice to sometimes get away from the realities of being in a queerphobic society and just enjoy cuteness.

I think this story is doing a great job so far of showing the wonderful, bright feeling of a crush just starting to bloom, as well as the harsh reminder that those feelings aren't accepted by everyone. I'm hoping that our leading ladies can find some solace and comfort with each other; the reactions of the other farm employees, Sixi aside, at least seem to indicate that they are alright? (the seemed to find Mu Xiaoen's gay panic cute)

Yeah I definitely think both kinds of stories are nice. In terms of relatable stories and ones that are sometimes an escape. Or even a combination of the two.

last edited at Oct 5, 2022 4:38PM

joined Dec 13, 2020

It's kind of amazing that we have reached the point where we are SO fucking used to waffy yuri stories and happy yuri endings that, when a manhua like Lass gets translated, a fuckton of fellas in the forum start whining:

"Oh no-o-o, not another piece on the evils of homophobia, puh-leeze, that's SO last decade! Can't the author just dump the dreary, boring sermon and have them date happily? And give them parents and friends who are supportive and caring? And make their love story a pink cloud of honeyed gay bliss? And be done with it?"

last edited at Oct 5, 2022 5:07PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

It's kind of amazing that we have reached the point where we are SO fucking used to waffy yuri stories and happy yuri endings that, when a manhua like Lass gets translated, a fuckton of fellas in the forum start whining:

"Oh no-o-o, not another piece on the evils of homophobia, puh-leeze, that's SO last decade! Can't the author just dump the dreary, boring sermon and have them date happily? And give them parents and friends who are supportive and caring? And make their love story a pink cloud of honeyed gay bliss? And be done with it?"

It's kind of amazing you can say this when there are exactly zero posts like that in this thread and most commenters seem indeed happy to see this brought in.

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

It's kind of amazing you can say this when there are exactly zero posts like that in this thread and most commenters seem indeed happy to see this brought in.

Yeah I went back to read em myself and ah yeah there’s only support for it?

allmarbleslost
So,%20lesbians%20square
joined May 5, 2022

strap in boys, this sure ain't gonna be a one-shot

joined Sep 27, 2017

Yeah I went back to read em myself and ah yeah there’s only support for it?

Yup from what I read and gathered everyone is pretty onboard with seeing how the homophobia elements will be handled.
The series seems like it might be a combination of handling this serious topic, and some softness with her experience of ending up in this town where she in theory/hopefully finds her ideal partner that accepts her. I also think both sides work well with the art, the soft and budding romantic side feels dreamlike, where as the panic attack and memories of homophobia feel like a nightmare.

I think they're referring to Applejuice's comment, can't really see anything else?

Jesus
joined Sep 3, 2022

I never tasted a peach pie with fresh peach, just those deserts with canned peach.

To reply you must either login or sign up.