Forum › Subtraction Tautology discussion

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

pretty sure that guy is the one who has been accosting her for longer now in the hopes she'll go on a date with him, and who thinks he still has a shot because Yurika never turned him down explicitly just hoping he would get the point.

And because he had been hanging around her like that for longer everyone is kind of gossiping about how they're "totally a couple" and Yurika is just not having a good time of it.

But yeah he's totally asking her out in the middle of a crowd (unknowingly) making it so Yurika would have a way harder time turning him down.

last edited at Apr 26, 2022 7:31AM

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

For a hot minute I thought there was an eyelash on screen.

I'm guessing the lines are actually her breath.

Istockphoto-486187560-1024x1024-1
joined Oct 5, 2021

wow how did i miss this? just binge-read all of it

joined Jan 3, 2020

It was uploaded on Dynasty only recently, was already at Chapter 21.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Never use the home page to see what the new releases are, only check the new yuri on the Recently Added page. Otherwise you risk missing out

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

After re reading chapter 17, it has me wondering if Tsubame might be a trans character?

When I first saw the prescription I assumed she might be the sickly type, but maybe not...

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

After re reading chapter 17, it has me wondering if Tsubame might be a trans character?

When I first saw the prescription I assumed she might be the sickly type, but maybe not...

I think Tsubame just has mania symptoms. I thought it was a physical illness too at first, but we've only seen the manic fixation with learning about or becoming Tsukie.

It's possible but I don't expect trans characters. Yuki-chan may not be a boy but an older maid, but that's for work. Takuto is likely a flavor of gender-nonconforming considering his costume hobby we recently learned of, but not necessarily trans.

Representation aside, this is a great and underrated series. Praise be the author and tranlators.

I love the parallel situations that highlight how people are similar and differ. Mostly it's: Minamo reacts to Yurika and gets distracted by her, then for comparison, we see Tsukie react with very similar dialogue and thoughts but no attraction. It's a no-hetero flag for Minamo.

Lastly I wouldn't be surprised if their dad has another family. He is always gone and isn't sending enough money home.

last edited at May 5, 2022 7:49PM

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

"It'd be weird if someone didn't have someone they liked"

No you blue haired jerk, that's not weird. I know this isn't a manga about asexuality, but that's really annoying to read lol

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Aah, the yuri has landed

Yes_pfp
joined Oct 30, 2021

Among Us

Yaa%20898
joined Apr 24, 2022

just realized that this started uploading here so thats nice.

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

No you blue haired jerk, that's not weird. I know this isn't a manga about asexuality, but that's really annoying to read lol

weird/abnormal/not normal =/= bad

Being incapable of romantic love is, from practically every perspective, certainly not normal - whether you equate being not normal to bad is on you.

joined Jun 11, 2016

Huh, never realized this is also updated here. Probably because the name is different from mangadex's version.

Anw I really love this series, thanks for doing this series goon squad!

Bleach_chan
joined Jul 14, 2021

Ayy, our girl finally told cringe-kun to fuck off.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Really love seeing a manga getting in deep with a character's feelings like this one, not just the protagonist but everyone around them

joined Mar 6, 2018

holy moly, the author really gave his all to write an angsty teenager with yurika. I'm always impressed by people who can actually recreate that feeling of "I'm 15 and nobody understands me"

sunflower delusions
Hima-ava
joined Apr 12, 2022

I think Tsubame just has mania symptoms. I thought it was a physical illness too at first, but we've only seen the manic fixation with learning about or becoming Tsukie.

Mayuki's dialogue in Chapter 17 implies that it is a physical illness and (looking back, I'm not sure how I picked it up the first time I read through) foreshadows that her dream is to die onstage, next to the one she loves and surrounded by people who love her

joined Jan 3, 2020

weird/abnormal/not normal =/= bad

Being incapable of romantic love is, from practically every perspective, certainly not normal - whether you equate being not normal to bad is on you.

These terms and feelings ('weird', 'normal', 'abnormal', 'disorder', and even things like 'disease') are kind of a mess in our society, even if you ignore LGBTQ+ concerns.

Even if we view "normalness" in a completely objective way using statistics, where do we put the line? Basically, the first problem lies in that 'normal' is a binary metric in a lexical sense. This means any debate over 'normal' vs 'abnormal' requires both parties to constantly define the terms and thresholds involved, as well as their rationale for using those thresholds (ideally backed by broad studies of word perception for a given population).

And this isn't even touching on the second, arguably larger problem: that some of these words have a connotation that is negative (sometimes very negative) even if the denotation does not suggest that.

Like if a small child (female) came up to you and asked if them liking girls made them weird, you would probably say "no" out of hand. This is because you know that the answer this child is looking for is about acceptance, not about statistics.

For a non-LGBT example, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) uses the term 'disorder'. This term means 'contrary to the order of things'. From a purely denotational perspective, not only is this accurate, but it is probably also an accurate description of the entire LGBTQ+ spectrum. It is fairly easy to argue from a purely statistical perspective that being a lesbian is a 'disorder' and 'abnormal'.

Obviously, nobody reasonable would use that language to describe LGBTQ+ people because of the extremely negative connotation (especially on 'disorder'). On a related note, there has been increasing pushback against using the term 'disorder' in both ASD and DSD (Disorders of Sexual Development - a clinical umbrella term for most intersex conditions) for this exact reason. The latter is often called Differences in Sexual Development now as a result.

I don't know other languages very well so I'm not sure how much of this is an English problem and how much of it is just a "humans associate frequency with correctness" problem (we tend to view rare things as bad). Some of it is also a "medical terminology adapted as self-identification terminology" issue.

I'm not sure how to fix any of it either. Even if we switch the terms out for ones that have cleaner connotations (which does make sense), if the problem is really just human nature, then we'll just have the same problem 50-100 years from now. To use the DSD example, a century from now 'differences' may seem as offensive to us as 'disorders' is now. I guess that's a problem for future generations, though.

/Weird(probably)SideRant

last edited at Jun 2, 2022 1:17AM

joined Jan 3, 2020

Hah, I think Yurika's mom has figured out that she has a crush on Minamo.

Wallpaper_2~2
joined Jul 4, 2021

The Mom and yurika sequence in this chapter was so wholesome , made me remember the mom of yuzu in citrus.

By the way I felt a little off by the mom dialogue stating:

"You're first meal's..."

Shouldn't it be like :

"Your first meal is gonna be. ."

Did I understand wrong the situation/dialogue or maybe it's a slang to adapt a Japanese dialect / slang ?

last edited at Jun 20, 2022 8:12PM

fsadddfsa Uploader
Collectible_dark_prince's_crown_icon
goon squad
joined Apr 11, 2021

The Mom and yurika sequence in this chapter was so wholesome , made me remember the mom of yuzu in citrus.

"You're first meal's..."

Shouldn't it be like :

Did I understand wrong the situation/dialogue or maybe it's a slang to adapt a Japanese dialect / slang ?

ah yeah, mb.

joined Aug 21, 2017

This is pretty good. Minamo's coworkers being shocked that she had a friend was funny.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

For a non-LGBT example, Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) uses the term 'disorder'. This term means 'contrary to the order of things'. From a purely denotational perspective, not only is this accurate, but it is probably also an accurate description of the entire LGBTQ+ spectrum. It is fairly easy to argue from a purely statistical perspective that being a lesbian is a 'disorder' and 'abnormal'.

I disagree with your version of the meaning of "disorder". What you're saying there is more like a derivation than a denotation--where it comes from, not what it means. Mind you, "disorder" has several meanings; if you haven't tidied your bedroom in a few weeks, it could be in "disorder". But when you're talking about autism spectrum or deafness or something, it means an ailment. The OED says "A disturbance of the bodily (or mental) functions; an ailment, disease."

And that does NOT apply to being LGBTQ+. But frankly, it DOES apply to anything very far along the autism spectrum; stuff isn't working the way a person would prefer to have it work, and that causes them problems; there's things they can't do well that other people not on the autism spectrum can easily do. There's a failure of function happening. So it's a disorder.

So there's a distinction between calling something (say being asexual) "weird" and calling it a "disorder". Being called "weird" can be hurtful because our society is too damn conformist, but is not inherently bad. As a person who is generally at the top of our society's dysfunctional little inherent status ladder (white, male, straight, not poor, moderately educated) I have leeway to actually take pride in being weird.
If what you are is called a "disorder" though, that's specifically saying that being what you are is functionally bad, an illness--that's going to be inherently hurtful, to the point where even people who actually do have a disorder for real, like deaf people, often would really prefer it not be looked at that way.

last edited at Jun 21, 2022 1:33PM

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

"...I cut this one too large." Is that foreshadowing?

Wallpaper_2~2
joined Jul 4, 2021

"You're first meal's..."

Shouldn't it be like :

ah yeah, mb.

Mistakes happens , thanks for bringing this work to us on the reader.

To reply you must either login or sign up.