Forum › Posts by zokoi

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016
Gsznojtwcaa2tu1-orig

twitter is just insane, I don't think anyone should take things on there seriously. I mean, I've seen people hating/attacking artists for shipping a 5-year-age-gap couple, and the next post I see a bunch of men thinking it's alright for a 30-yo man to date a 19-yo girl irl.

joined Jun 11, 2016

I've noticed that the summary is lacking, and this whole System thing is pretty new to anyone who doesn't read Chinese novels, so I would like to write a full introduction of what System actually is (yes I have lots of free time on my hands). Also the correct term is just System, "System Administrator" is another beast entirely.

I. What are Systems, and what do they do?
My own definition of System, from my years of reading Chinese novels, is that: Systems are plot devices that look like systems from games, that exist to achieve a certain goal.
That's a rather vague definition, but it's the broadest and best way I can think to describe it.

Now, what Systems do can be described by the 3 types of Systems most commonly found in Chinese novels:
1. Useless Systems: like the name implied, they're basically useless. They only exist as the start of the novel to give the Main Characters (I will shorten this as MCs from now) some basic important information, before disappearing most of the time. They may resurface during important plot points, but they have no real functions other than that.
2. Normal Systems: Much more useful compared to 1, these systems can help the MCs not just by providing plot information, but they also have certain functions to aid the MCs like Search, GPS, Warning, etc. Their functions are helpful, but never too powerful, so that the story can still have tensions. These systems always comes with Missions/Tasks that MCs must complete, failure to do so will have consequences. (These are the most commons in romance novels imo)
3. Powerful Systems: Offering a variety of functions that can definitely boost MCs from zero to hero, these systems are very powerful indeed. However, only with high risks come high rewards, the Missions/Tasks of these things can be very hard/dangerous to do, and failure isn't really an option. These are more commonly seen in adventure stories where stakes are high.

Systems can be further divided into 2 types:
1. Those with Mascots: These systems have a chibi mascot that can fly around and interact w/ the MCs and have their own personalities.
2. Those without: These systems only interact w/ MCs through holographic interfaces. Many of them do have personalities, but many others are just mechanical machines/AI.

II. So then, what is the point of these Systems?
Like I've said: "Systems exist to achieve a certain goal". However, because Systems are invisible to everyone but the MCs, they must rely on (or force) the MCs to complete the goal for them. That's why Systems give out Missions/Tasks to MCs, all so they can achieve what they want, and the goals change with each story. For adventure stories, the goal is usually to survive. For romance novels however, the goal can be anything.

In most Chinese romance novels, the MCs don't isekai/transmigrate into the stories as themselves, but they take over a character's body in the stories. The goals in these stories can be: A. Complete the original story while roleplaying as the character; B. Resolve the original character's (OC's) regret/Complete the OC's dying will or C. Change the story in a specific way.

III. Ok so why do the MCs even listen to these Systems anyway?
Well, most MCs don't willingly sign a contract with these Systems. Most of them are dragged into the fictional worlds by the Systems when they're on the verge of death/actively dying. The Systems then tell the MCs that if they do the Missions and complete the Goal, they can be revived in their world and even be rewarded if they do a good job. And since most people don't wanna die, they of course choose to do as the Systems say.

There are also many cases where the MCs die for real in the their world, but they still do the Missions, because if they don't they will be punished by Systems. Punishment can range from being physically hurt, losing control of themselves, to death, or even have their souls erased. In stories where the punishment isn't too bad, many MCs try to rebel against the Systems, to varying degrees of success.

IV. Conclusion
If you've read it till here, thank you and congratulations, you've now got the basic of Systems! You probably won't be too lost when reading Chinese novels with Systems now!

Though I've categorized Systems into types for easier understanding, in reality, authors can choose to mix them up however they want, so don't be too surprised if something in here doesn't fit with whatever story you're reading.

And of course this isn't all there is about Systems, and I haven't even talked about Administrators yet. But I think I will stop here for now. I will write more If people like this enough/are curious about Administrators!

Also, do excuse any grammar errors/typos you may find, I'm too lazy to edit this XD

last edited at Jul 11, 2024 8:37PM

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016
Gppo9waa4aa3mdr-orig

^it's super hetero, filled with drama that will make you want to tear your hair out, so be cautious I guess. If you want to re-watch/re-read for Nanashipping then maybe don't do that.

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016
Ffao68uaaaaw9oe-orig

^preach, one of the best yuri manhwa out there

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016
Go_5rkkboaenss--orig

^damn I didn't even realize it's Negom, her art style changed so much!

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016
Goofafixcaat8w2-orig

^Limbus company is a game, and from what I understand all the characters are "quirky" there

joined Jun 11, 2016

that's so cute and wholesome! Should it be tagged with Haruka x Kanata too though?

joined Jun 11, 2016

there's still more?

nope it's done, all the chapters have been translated.

last edited at May 28, 2024 9:54AM

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016
Gnmaovwbsaauxof-orig

the new love live seems pretty gay

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016
115743589_p31

Touhou and its pairings never cease to amaze me

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016
Yumi_xsh-1780533250466984359-img1

Makoto/Yukiho art in 2024?? Amazing!!

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016
118493856_p0

it's kinda funny how every once in a while there's some new Railgun fan who get sucked into this pairing and churn out tons of good fanart before realizing that "damn this will never be canon" and go away

joined Jun 11, 2016

thanks for the chapters!

I'm laughing so hard when her mother came through the window XD She's Makino's mother alright XD

also the chapter is reversed? Like, chapter 68 leads to chapter 67 while chapter 67 is the newest one.

last edited at Apr 30, 2024 3:41AM

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016

ok, its obvious that Meguru has a messed up perception of love

But her (real) sister should have a normal sense of things. So why did she let Meguru kiss her?

@ChikyuuNeko and @SrNevik has some pretty good points about this but basically, she (the older sister) also feels something toward Meguru too (she was blushing, hesitating to stop Meguru). But because the older sister knows this is fucked up (they're actual sisters) and how this is the only way Meguru knows how to express her love, so she told her father, who then stopped the whole thing.

joined Jun 11, 2016

are you drunk? what even are you writing? This has like, 5-6 chapters on mangadex, and they're all cute and great.

Just because you're right doesn't mean you have to be so incredibly rude about it, holy shit. Based on just this chapter, I was also wondering if this was a one-shot.

so asking people if they are drunk or not is rude now? There is a literal table of content on page 4 of chapter 1 that shows this has multiple chapters. Unless you are drunk (or high), idk how you can miss that?

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016

I really love these doujin about Nico!!! Thank you for translating it and thanks for the game recommendation!!!

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016

Nao doesn't have her own pairing tag, but you find out its a Nao chapter from the other tags

just look for the exhibitionism tag lol

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016
Touyarokii-1773073575391440991-img1

^ I keep forgetting that people in Pokeverse do eat and drink stuff made from Pokemon.

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016
Flo_gumbat-1447191076477882372-img1

^ is that even a real tag on Dynasty?

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016

the pacing feels a bit weird? wonky? to me, but overall it's pretty cute and easy to understand. I hope she does well on her audition.

thanks for picking this up!

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016

even with so little we've seen of meguru's actual sister, i can already say she's the goat

agreed. I wish my sister could be a little like her.

I want to know why her sister had to leave... With how close they were and the face she makes when she tells Meguru that they can't live together, it doesn't sound like something simple.

yeah! someone above said she got married and moved out, but the face she made in page 9 makes me guess it's more than that.

zokoi
joined Jun 11, 2016

THEY FINALLY DID IT!!!!!!!!! THIS IS A GLORIOUS DAY!!!!!!

joined Jun 11, 2016
Episode_1057

^ Grand Blue Io is thirsty for all girls (though I'm a bit confused why she's so obsessed with belly buttons?)

joined Jun 11, 2016

the one time where being a tsundere is actually beneficial

zokoi
Summer discussion 21 Feb 10:56
joined Jun 11, 2016

^^ it's the typesetter whose mom barged in while they were typesetting page 24, not the translator.

anw thanks for this!

last edited at Feb 21, 2024 10:53PM