Forum › My Mom's a Superstar discussion

joined Feb 18, 2022

This series is cute but the lack of any kind of developments is kind of frustrating.

Sir, this is a chapter 5....

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This series is cute but the lack of any kind of developments is kind of frustrating.

And chapter 5 of a webtoon, which tend to be a fraction of the plot of a regular manga chapter.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

And chapter 5 of a webtoon, which tend to be a fraction of the plot of a regular manga chapter.

That's true, I do hope we see some of where this might want to go soon at least. Right now I'm not really certain where this series is headed, and what tone it wants to take with the progression. I'm curious though.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I mean the last 3 chapters feel like connected oneshots in an anthology rather than sequential chapters in a story so I wouldn't say this is an unreasonable critique.

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Kinda agree with what others are saying - the series is cute, but it feels a bit disjointed with how it keeps switching from Youzi being 6 years old to 14 years old. I was expecting/hoping it would be more of Youzi actively trying to set her mom up with someone. Of course, that may still happen - it’s only chapter 5 after all.

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

Ren and Mom are so cute its not fair

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

It's hard to get a bead on this series. It's very cute and fluffy, but I'm not sure if we're supposed to take Youzi's belief that her mom is gay seriously, and thus it's about her encouraging her mother to get a girlfriend, or if "the joke" is supposed to just be that Youzi has misunderstood the whole thing. Her mom seems to indicate the latter; she's, at the very least, not in an actual secret relationship with a woman at that point, but whether that's because she really is straight or just to preserve the ambiguity is unclear.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I mean the last 3 chapters feel like connected oneshots in an anthology rather than sequential chapters in a story so I wouldn't say this is an unreasonable critique.

Yeah, but the chapters are also short. We're 26 pages of actual content in. That's like,1 good sized thin book. I've seen first chapters that are that long.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

It's hard to get a bead on this series. It's very cute and fluffy, but I'm not sure if we're supposed to take Youzi's belief that her mom is gay seriously, and thus it's about her encouraging her mother to get a girlfriend, or if "the joke" is supposed to just be that Youzi has misunderstood the whole thing. Her mom seems to indicate the latter; she's, at the very least, not in an actual secret relationship with a woman at that point, but whether that's because she really is straight or just to preserve the ambiguity is unclear.

I think she's not necessarily dating any ladies, but It seems pretty likely she's gay. She considers the prospect of remarrying or even dating a guy to be unthinkable, and Youzi's observations that her mom seems so much happier when she's flirting with girls probably isn't just wishful thinking.

Engaging wild speculation drive:

I think the gist of it is that she lives in a country and works in an industry where it is a business advantage to "play gay", but it's frowned upon to actually be gay. So she's doubly incentivized to pretend that her real inclinations are just part of an act, she doesn't think she can actually date anybody so she doesn't want to get her daughter's (or her own) hopes up.
This is probably reinforced on Ren's side, idol singers are even more controlled in the industry than actresses.

joined Jul 18, 2021

This story is fantastically funny! :D

Png-clipart-mega-man-x-mega-man-zero-2-mega-man-zero-collection-mega-man-bass-others-miscellaneous-video-game
joined Dec 18, 2021

Calling it now, the mom and friend are gonna fake date to appease little kiddo and then fall in love for real.

Which friend? Auntie Ren or auntie Chen?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

The yuri is too bright!!!! the poor guy became one with the background lo/

I'm a little sad, I wanted a direct continuation of ch4 but this doesn't seem to follow a path, more like instances of their life at any given time.

Steam-community-screenshot-dream-team-demon,-witch-
joined Nov 15, 2016

Cute art and characters
Kid needs to be in a foster home
Horrible mother
Terrible influence

last edited at Mar 17, 2022 1:19PM

Dynasty
joined Mar 17, 2022

It says the theme song for the movie is by Ren, that's a cute little touch.

Dynasty%20profile%20v13
joined Apr 27, 2018

Just a little nitpick but the way they promote their movie kinda bugs me... It feels like their kinda spoiling the movie by talking about the main plot points...

Img_20210903_230019_067
joined Aug 2, 2020

I can't unsee the Flame Emperor (from Fire Emblem Three Houses) pfp in the live.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Horrible mother
Terrible influence

What exactly is the basis for this astounding assertion?

Untitled-1
joined Nov 14, 2016

Daughter of the year.

Primeval Revenant
joined Jun 16, 2019

Cute art and characters
Horrible mother
Terrible influence

Wat.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Blastaar posted:

Horrible mother
Terrible influence

What exactly is the basis for this astounding assertion?

I thought it was an odd take, most works that deal with famous parents or very important figures (researcher, CEOs or secret organizations) tend to go with abandonment issues, with parents always too busy or far away, and it's always the grandmother, a relative or some maid that takes care of them.

Here the mother instead of abandoning her dream job and finding a part time work, she decides to take her daughter with her and they both look very happy.

last edited at Mar 17, 2022 1:49PM

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I just gotta say why is it that citrus of all series has to be the face of yuri? I know it was a popular anime probably for the fan service but there are so many better series to choose from

Fishy
joined Oct 19, 2020

I just gotta say why is it that citrus of all series has to be the face of yuri? I know it was a popular anime probably for the fan service but there are so many better series to choose from

Aren't Citrus, Bloom Into You, and maybe Aoi Hana or Sasameki Koto the biggest, mainstream yuri titles? There aren't that many with that number of volumes either = relevant for such a long time.

joined Oct 22, 2021

Yeah. I'm more surprised since both of them are relatively new series, I would have thought they would have had many slang terms already.

Him
joined Feb 21, 2013

Is Citrus really the series responsible for the yuri boom in Chinese webtoons?

Irene_&_teresa
joined Jun 12, 2019

The pain of being a man in a yuri.

To reply you must either login or sign up.