Forum › My Mom's a Superstar discussion

joined Jan 14, 2020

I think the concept of 'spoiler' is relatively new. For much of history, you'd be hearing stories you'd heard before. Or new tellings of a story outline you knew. One does not listen to Homer for the surprising plot. Even in the age of Western novels, it was common for a chapter header to outline the events of the chapter. Or to foreshadow the ending at the beginning, with any mystery being about how you got there. Tolkien complained about "The Return of the King" being a spoiler title, but he also gave us chapter titles like "The Breaking of the Fellowship", and a Prologue that tells us Merry and Pippin survive and become important people. If you go to see a play that's a Comedy or a Tragedy, you know whether it's going to end in marriage or a bunch of deaths.

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

Black owl was obvious, but was there a white owl this chapter?

LunaaSnow Uploader
Zephyr Scans
joined Oct 7, 2021

I wouldn't put Chen and Ren at the same level here. Ren is just a friend that Youzi ships with her mom but Chen actually seems really close with the mom.

Oh boy do I have news for you in the next chapter ;)

What? What??? Don't tell me Mom x Ren turns out to be a thing!?

well, you could look at the last line of text in chapter 3, bottom right :)

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

I wouldn't put Chen and Ren at the same level here. Ren is just a friend that Youzi ships with her mom but Chen actually seems really close with the mom.

What? What??? Don't tell me Mom x Ren turns out to be a thing!?

well, you could look at the last line of text in chapter 3, bottom right :)

I think that’s just six y.o. Youzi’s thoughts, not anything confirmed. Besides, the next chapter her mom and Auntie Chen are discussing how Youzi has basically been pushing for Ren to be a thing and she needs help convincing Youzi it’s not going to happen.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

What really tanks the credibility of Mom's denial for me is that she never outright says "I don't like women." It's always "It's not what it looks like" or "See this is normal between female friends actually" and the like.

Even if they're really just ships with no substance, Mom totally swings that way, bet.

10466e3de
joined Oct 25, 2014

That's funny considering I read up to chapter 8 already and my opinion hasn't changed. lol

last edited at Mar 29, 2022 10:56AM

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

So, Ren is the mom’s ex I’m guessing?

joined Mar 14, 2021

Yeah I ship the auntie Chen and the mom

I mean Ren is super cute especially with the daughter, it's super cute how she loves auntie Ren so much. But I just get more couple vibes from Chen and the mom together. Maybe it has something to do with them being the ones on the cover.

last edited at Mar 31, 2022 1:11AM

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Maybe it's just me, but those reactions from both the mom and Ren on pages 3 and 4 don't seem to me like "friend I haven't seen in a while suddenly shows up" but rather "just met a person I used to be close to, and I'm no longer sure what our relationship is."

Those glances and pauses just... I don't know... they give me the impression of two people who used to be together, who then separated on good terms but still haven't seen each other in a while, who now met each other unexpectedly and aren't sure how they should treat each other.

last edited at Mar 31, 2022 1:23AM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I wouldn't put Chen and Ren at the same level here. Ren is just a friend that Youzi ships with her mom but Chen actually seems really close with the mom. Besides, Chen's the one that shows up in all the promo pictures.

I think the -exact- opposite. The dynamic between Chen and Mom seems pretty platonic. Like in Chapter 4 she's joking around and teasing her about how gay she comes across, but the compromising position at the end is actually a misunderstanding. They work together, they have chemistry, and they ham it up on camera for fanservice, but they're just friends.

Contrast with what we've learned about her history with Ren. They dreamed about performing together back in college, (Oh my god THEY WERE ROOMMATES,) they wrote songs together, and they're both clearly still hanging on to that history after not seeing each other for years. (She taught their song to her daughter, who recognized Ren playing it years after the fact, which is the event that drew them back together. That's some pretty powerful rom-com meet-cute energy there)

They're also clearly flashing back to their history together when they're singing on stage together. The romantic overtones are pretty strong there.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Maybe it's just me, but those reactions from both the mom and Ren on pages 3 and 4 don't seem to me like "friend I haven't seen in a while suddenly shows up" but rather "just met a person I used to be close to, and I'm no longer sure what our relationship is."

Those glances and pauses just... I don't know... they give me the impression of two people who used to be together, who then separated on good terms but still haven't seen each other in a while, who now met each other unexpectedly and aren't sure how they should treat each other.

Yes, this exactly. It speaks to a complicated history. And the song is clearly special to them both in a way that suggests deep feelings.

Jo
joined Jan 1, 2019

She is ABSOLUTELY the CUTEST thing EVER.

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Lil youzi is so damn QT.
Mum shouldn't have to decide. Why have Ren or Chen when she can have both ୧| ͡ᵔ ﹏ ͡ᵔ |୨

joined Mar 23, 2022

Yeah mom when??..wheeeeeennn? So far I vote for auntie ren!

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Awww, the little matchmaker knows what the heart wants.

Homura-devil
joined May 7, 2018

Holy fucking flags, woman! No wonder a 6 year old noticed. Who wouldn't if you keep throwing out flags every other sentence.

And after this chapter, it seems more like they have history, but something happened that led to Ren going abroad and the Mom having a kid with some guy. And she's just avoiding the topic with Lil Youzi because she doesn't want to dump all that on a 14 year old, which is at least fair.

E1f7694b-042f-443d-a5cb-df7de61c8a40
joined Dec 29, 2013

Lil youzi is so damn QT.
Mum shouldn't have to decide. Why have Ren or Chen when she can have both ୧| ͡ᵔ ﹏ ͡ᵔ |୨

This

Dynasty
joined Mar 17, 2022

Lil youzi is so damn QT.

I support this poly ending

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Lil youzi is so damn QT.

Three moms are better than two

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

Whenever I read her name "lil Youzi" I just can't help not to think she's about to drop a beat

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Would anyone happen to know the original text from the quote here? I'd like to hang it on a wall to occasionally stare at it mindfully and sigh deeply. (Or I can go ask the TL on their discord.)
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch02#5

20220118_232511_50
joined Jun 3, 2015

The mom and auntie Ren definitely come across as exes, it seems like they on relatively good terms though which is nice.

They're also clearly flashing back to their history together when they're singing on stage together. The romantic overtones are pretty strong there.

Good catch, I think it shows their break up, they're together at college at the start and towards the end they're doing separate things with their backs turned to each other. Maybe both of their careers got in the way?

I wonder how auntie Chen fits into all of this though, is she really just a good friend that hams it up for the public? Or is there maybe something more happening that mom hasn't told lil' Youzi about yet?

We're gonna need a chapter of Ren and Chen interacting to see if there's any jealousy.

last edited at Apr 2, 2022 1:13PM

kenkyokitsune Uploader
Xiao
The Golden Orchid
joined May 4, 2021

Would anyone happen to know the original text from the quote here? I'd like to hang it on a wall to occasionally stare at it mindfully and sigh deeply. (Or I can go ask the TL on their discord.)
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_moms_a_superstar_ch02#5

TL here, the quote is 真情实感嗑CP会遭天打雷劈 zhēnqíng shígǎn kē CP huì zāo tiāndà-léipī. (CP stands for "character pairing" in Chinese, borrowed from CP in Japanese for カップリング, more broadly, "shipping/to ship s/o")

La duchesse de Pecquigny
joined Jun 7, 2021

The mom and auntie Ren definitely come across as exes, it seems like they on relatively good terms though which is nice.

I think that should be the case, yeah. Taking the elements we have and filling in the gaps with the simplest possible explanations in a Ockham's razor-y kind of way, I end up with something like this:

1) Mom and auntie Ren were lovers in college.
2) Mom dumped auntie Ren because, y'know, the usual reasons: "Gotta stop playing around, gotta grow up, gotta do my filial duty, gotta marry and have children!"
3) Mom married some guy and had Youzi. Then she divorced him because she's a lesbian and having to put out for him sucked big time and she couldn't take it anymore.
4) Mom became a famous actress, Ren became a famous singer.
5) They meet again (partly thanks to Youzi) and Ren finds out that mom is living alone and raising her kid by herself... and that she often sings to Youzi the secret love song she and Ren wrote together while in college.

Present time, Youzi suspects that mom and auntie Ren still love each other but are silly & useless about it. Maybe mom also feels guilty for hurting Ren before and feels she doesn't deserve to get her back.

This are my best guesses given the evidence we have.

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

I love this, its so cute

To reply you must either login or sign up.