Forum › Looking Up to Magical Girls discussion

4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

I've been struggling to place what the author was doing with Sulfur for a long time, but now I get it and I'm even more in awe of this story.

So I really like how coming to terms with herself has taken away some of Sulfur's jagged edge. She always seemed scrappy, bad-tempered, and like she was kind of burning herself up just being around. She seemed really distant even from her own team, like their earnestness and good-natured outlook ran up against her. She had so much aggression and anger, and it was just constantly leaking out of her.

Very astute! Thanks for helping my clarify my own feelings wrt Kaoruko's role in the story.

joined Aug 18, 2019

GOSH HECK the sheer number of times that I keep coming back to this manga is SO MANY like this is absurdly good and the developments are Great
Love this series to bits man

joined Oct 3, 2016

Enormeeta supporting each other's dreams warms my heart

TheLubeTube Uploader
Lesbianfiction!
Me-A Scans
joined Jul 27, 2018

No sweat Urbs lmk if you need anything else xoxo

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Beautiful Loco+Lever moments. ^_^

Also, that was Sister Gigant, wasn't it? If the looks weren't enough, she's also named Holy...

joined May 9, 2021

God, this chapter was just. incredibly romantic. Every time I think I have a handle on this manga's ability to blend romance and eroticisim it comes back with something so good it blows my expectations out of the water. Matama gets so desperate to perform that she almost strips on stage and then Nemo stops her, tells her that her exhibitionism should be something just for the two of them, and slips under her clothes as a shadow so that she can make her feel completely loved and supported through the finale of the song by touching her where no one can see. The shots of Nemo embracing Matama naked and then wrapping around her gently as tendrils of shadow are all just so sweet and intimate. It's another really good example of the author making full use of the magical girl setting to create moments of intimacy that wouldn't be possible without magic

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Beautiful Loco+Lever moments. ^_^

Also, that was Sister Gigant, wasn't it? If the looks weren't enough, she's also named Holy...

The pieces goes too well together in the chapter. Between the device of Venia malfunctioning directly after the song, with Tres Magia being here and Gigant being the host. Not to mention the fact she seem barely surprised that the idol singing was Loco.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Not to mention the fact she seem barely surprised that the idol singing was Loco.

That as well, yes. :D

joined May 9, 2021

Enormeeta supporting each other's dreams warms my heart

Right? I love how they're all just friends now. This is the first time any of them have had a real group of friends they can joke around with and lean on for support and it's so so good for them. Utena and Korisu were both totally alone before becoming magical girls and Nemo and Matama don't seem to have ever had anyone but each other (their previous magical girl group paired them with two adult women who treated them as disposable minions). Kiwi's history is a little less clear but given how desperate she is for attention and how aggressively she attached herself to Utena the moment she was shown the slightest bit of affection I'm guessing she was alone too.

__kawasumi_mai_and_kurata_sayuri_kanon_drawn_by_hiro_dismaless__af8fff43e603564f6b7349639e863a67
Fellowship of Freelancers
joined Oct 11, 2010

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/looking_up_to_magical_girls_ch32#12
Does Azul's face mean Utena still has her panties? I had just assumed new ones would appear the next time she transformed...

joined May 9, 2021

Does Azul's face mean Utena still has her panties? I had just assumed new ones would appear the next time she transformed...

Oh my god I didn't even think of that. That's 100% what's happening there isn't it

joined Jul 26, 2016

Oh my god I didn't even think of that. That's 100% what's happening there isn't it

And here I thought Matama was the designated Chew Toy in this chapter lmao

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I have no idea how I didn't even notice that. She even has exactly the same look on her face as Loco... As well as the pose. :D

I guess I was too distracted by "Holy" there...

last edited at Dec 21, 2021 5:05PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Loco and Lever are my favorite characters, I can't describe my joy, it's like, when a series ends with the main ship together and you have to say good bye in tears with just a kiss most of the times, well, my ending came long time ago (and with WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY More than a kiss! Lmao) but I still keep getting the "happy ever after" moments while I also get to enjoy the main plot, relaxed and all without worries because they're in love and I love them.

9d94c4a9-d46e-49f0-a68e-0a44d27fedb6
joined Oct 22, 2021

Until this chapter I honestly wasn’t sure if Gigant had a life outside of being Gigant. Wouldn’t have guessed TV host for her occupation, certainly.

joined May 23, 2017

Why did they suddenly transform tho? And who is hanabi?

joined May 9, 2021

Why did they suddenly transform tho? And who is hanabi?

They were transformed all along. Vena gave them a disguise device they can use while transformed to change their outfit and cloak their magical signature but it was "unstable" which made it suddenly run out when the concert ended (though Sister's presence here makes me think Vena set the whole thing up from the TV invitation to the disguise turning off at the perfect moment)

Hanabi is just some random twitter user. The point of the ending is that despite being revealed as a villain at the end there are still a lot of people out there who liked Loco's concert. That's why "it reached the people it needed to reach"

joined Jul 26, 2016

Venaemo~n needs to up its convenient gadget game.

...or not, for the sake of gr8 lulz.

__fujiwara_no_mokou_and_houraisan_kaguya_touhou_drawn_by_ootsuki_wataru__abfa356e1066a80ad94144d78ad40e5f%20-%20copia
joined Sep 22, 2019

Loco and Lever are my favorite characters, I can't describe my joy, it's like, when a series ends with the main ship together and you have to say good bye in tears with just a kiss most of the times, well, my ending came long time ago (and with WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY More than a kiss! Lmao) but I still keep getting the "happy ever after" moments while I also get to enjoy the main plot, relaxed and all without worries because they're in love and I love them.

Big mood. I wish more series did this sort of thing instead of waiting until the last moment to officially put the pairs together.

Also, Baiser keeps not taking any shit from the lowly mascot.

last edited at Dec 21, 2021 7:06PM

joined May 9, 2021

All of the tankobons so far have been 5 chapters but the author has been very careful to make sure that they all end at a natural stopping point where an arc is complete. I wonder if that means volume 6 will be 6 chapters to finish Sulfur's arc or if it will be 5 like the rest and split her La Verita fight across two volumes

Chiyo
joined Dec 21, 2021

Yeah boy so next arc is Matama and Nemo Arc. Can't wait to see the La Verita's already. But anyway this chapter was so cool and cute, I liked the interactions very much

Lol%20eiko
joined Mar 29, 2021

Just an observation, is it just me or are there no dudes in this series/world? This chapter alongside that chapter when Baiser first fights against Loco and Leber with Loco's impromptu concert has no dudes in the background as with the crowd in this one, which are areas you would expect a mixture of people due to the sheer number but it appears not to be the case here. Of course it's not confirmed in the story and not very important, but it seems like this series might be a 404: Men Not Found one.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I keep being amazed at how good the writing in this manga is. The last arc was very Utena and Tres Magia heavy... so this chapter puts Utena in recovery mode and turns Tres Magia into the background to focus on Utena's girls who are suddenly given a bunch of free time to do whatever. Not only is this development perfectly logical in-story, it is also a very clever from the structural narrative aspect.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

... but it seems like this series might be a 404: Men Not Found one.

Yeah, quite notably even the idol concert crowds, or at the beach, or any other background characters ... all women. Even with families only the mothers ever get mentioned.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

... but it seems like this series might be a 404: Men Not Found one.

Yeah, quite notably even the idol concert crowds, or at the beach, or any other background characters ... all women. Even with families only the mothers ever get mentioned.

Clearly it takes place in this world. :D

Although this literally being a world of 404: Men Not Found would certainly explain a lot about how there have been none of the usual comments about all of this being going on between girls, especially the hotel visit.

To reply you must either login or sign up.