Forum › My Girlfriend's Not Here Today discussion

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

Yuni has no self esteem, Nanase is a manipulator, and Fuuko rocks. I am sure Yuni cannot break up with Nanase because Nanase is good in bed. Anybody who has any self esteem would dump Nanase right there and then. Obviously Nanase actually does not mind being seen as a lesbian, because she is close to other girls, including holding hands. Somehow she does not want to associate with Yuni. At the end of the day. Yuni is just a fu**buddy of Nanase.

joined Mar 8, 2019

Yuni has no self esteem, Nanase is a manipulator, and Fuuko rocks. I am sure Yuni cannot break up with Nanase because Nanase is good in bed. Anybody who has any self esteem would dump Nanase right there and then. Obviously Nanase actually does not mind being seen as a lesbian, because she is close to other girls, including holding hands. Somehow she does not want to associate with Yuni. At the end of the day. Yuni is just a fu**buddy of Nanase.

It could be that but right now it feels legitimate that Nanase is traumatized from whatever went on in middle school.…

It’s an acceptable response. She thinks by pushing Yuni away in front of others, by treating her as if they’re not close, then people won’t have a clue that they’re together.

It’s the complete opposite of what she did with her middle school crush so she probably thinks this will really help them not get outed.

Yuni spoke up when she was at the brink so I wouldn’t say she totally has no self esteem. She’s just in love, putting Nanase’s needs before her own, and is making irrational choices. Happens to the best of us.

Hmm… what if the twist is Nanase’s old crush was actually Fuuko? And now Fuuko’s out for revenge? We all think the Caterpillar is Yuni but what if it’s actually Nanase who is the Fungi’s real target? We all know Nanase’s default is to ignore people close to her so I wouldn’t be surprised.

joined Nov 9, 2014

This series is making me angry, I hate attention whore like Asahina the most.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Fuuko seems to get a lot of love here, but honestly if I met such a borderline unhinged person I would back away slowly ahaha. Also people here bending over backwards finding all the faults in volleyball gf to justify why this is all okay actually I guess. How about the MC just end the current relationship and go bone the creepy stalker, I mean she is bound to do it anyway but the cheating is always so tacked on for dramallama times.

Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

Yuni hasn't done anything wrong ( yet )to be honest. Yeah she's being a doormat but she's a fucking highschool girl in what might be her first relationship and navigating being gay in a society that doesn't particularily accept ain't easy, cut her some slack. Fuuko is going into very dangerous territory to get her way with Yuni. Nanase is not being a good for sure, but so far I wouldn't go as far as to call her manipulative. If we find out later on she's hiding something, which might very well be possible then sure. But seriously, Yuni hasn't done anything bad beyond liking her GF and hoping she'd get loved back.

Best thing yuni could do is lay out all out to Nanase and then either they make it work out or break up and then she can look elsewhere but yuuko certainly ain't a good choice lol.

last edited at Aug 20, 2021 10:04PM

Anime-pictures.net_-_519241-700x1000-inuyasha-inuyasha%20(character)-inuyasha%20(human%20form)-sorolp-long%20hair-single
joined Mar 27, 2019

This better not turn out to be ntr and she blackmails her for “affections”

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Loving the plot so far.

Kiddyland_sailor_waddle_dee
joined Dec 16, 2018

The Yuni-Nanase dynamic is very grounded and would honestly make a great story by itself. Having it mashed together with pixie stalker girl who talks about like caterpillars or something is a pretty big letdown.

joined Jan 6, 2018

Man that girl seems desperate, desperation is such a turn off. If it's a one-sided like/love then let it go, you can't force people to like/love you.

joined May 31, 2019

Dynasty comments, Why are you like this.

Lol, not so weird when you understand that while some people are inclined to see works objectively (focusing on the characters as a whole), just as much people will see it subjectively (focusing on the theme and emotion).

I see 3 future train wrecks, but they're in the trains itself.

joined Apr 2, 2018

I'm just here for this wild ride
The art is SO good. I love this huge drama, the flawed characters. I'm lowkey hoping for the NTR. I want to see where this is going, cause I have no idea and I'm having fun

Lomographic Colored Past
74ec91ae-b46c-44be-9b5e-7c40e1fb423d
joined Dec 29, 2016

The Yuni-Nanase dynamic is very grounded and would honestly make a great story by itself. Having it mashed together with pixie stalker girl who talks about like caterpillars or something is a pretty big letdown.

I do agree, just by their backstory this manga can stand alone. But I guess the mangaka needs something to complicate things more, add in the semi-neglected gf, the closeted gf, and the creepy stalker who feeds on the couple’s weaknesses. And what do we have? This manga.

I just hope that after all the cheating, heartbreaks and mistrusts. Nanase and Yuni’s love for each other can still rise above the surface.

last edited at Aug 21, 2021 2:52AM

joined Jan 3, 2020

Agreed completely.

Man that girl seems desperate, desperation is such a turn off. If it's a one-sided like/love then let it go, you can't force people to like/love you.

Yeah, she is young too. Apparently young enough to not realize that even if you are desperate, you should not show it often. That part of dating is always a game because confidence is generally attractive and desperation is usually the opposite.

last edited at Aug 21, 2021 3:03AM

joined Mar 28, 2021

yuki is kinda annoying

Touhou%20i.2
joined May 16, 2021

Honestly one thing that strikes me as being particularly characteristic about Fuuko is how she would manipulate any situation to get closer to Yuni. Like how in chapter 2 she had deliberately brought her close to the area surrounding love hotels, and also at night mind you. At this point it shouldn't come as a surprise that the kind of guys showing up later would happen. From there Fuuko can actually get closer to Yuni by helping her to get away from those guys, which tugs at her heart strings.

Yuni for the most part has been rather infuriating as of now since she just posts all her stuff on the internet with her face on it. Like mate, a half obscured face can easily be recognized by anyone who knows, much less someone who seems to be stalking you -.-.

Also considering how she just continues to shit on every little problem that goes on between her and Nanase just shows of how there is so much tension between them in their relationship. Not to mention that she isn't willing to take steps herself to strengthen their relationship, but instead waits for Nanase to do it for her. At this point I wouldn't surprise about Yuni just doing it with Fuuko out of pure jealousy (wherever that may come from) and when Nanase confronts her about it, would just blame her for all these things that she shows less than enthusiastic response to. But I guess the kind of person who would be her ideal partner would then be Fuuko since she would be able to even the slightest things about her, being her stalker and all.

Of course, Nanase herself too would be at fault, having never clarified many things with Yuni such as her reason for being secretive about their relationship. I mean it is kinda late to wait until your girlfriend is about to break up with you to start revealing the rationale for it. And if after her confession this doesn't lead to her taking progressive steps for the sake of the relationship, then it's shouldn't be a surprise about what is going to happen.

Though I can honestly see how the drama would unfold from a mile away, I'm still hoping that Yuni and Nanase can both put in the effort to solidify their relationship instead of leaving it as volatile as it is right now. Though I have a bad feeling that Fuuko isn't just gonna be an obstacle for the two girls, and this story isn't about their relationship recovering...

joined Aug 21, 2017

This feels like bait, but maybe that's just what happens when you disagree with somebody.

Yuni obviously has SOME self-esteem, as shown by placing herself above Nanase's old crush. Yuni just seems frustrated that she can't spend any intimate time with her girlfriend.

You can classify Nanase's actions as manipulative, but I don't think it's out of maliciousness. To me she just seems like a busy milquetoast who's deeply anxious over a past poor experience with being seen as gay.

Fuuko is pretty obviously pushing Yuni towards cheating on her girlfriend, or at the very least being quite intrusive (she literally voyeured Yuni and Nanase), which personally makes me place her in "stinky" tier rather than "rocks" tier.

Al%c5%afskd
joined Jul 4, 2012

I'm just here for this wild ride
The art is SO good. I love this huge drama, the flawed characters. I'm lowkey hoping for the NTR. I want to see where this is going, cause I have no idea and I'm having fun

Absolutely agree!
All of the people discussing whether the characters are bad or not, when the characters all too young and not knowing what’s good for them to do to solve all their current stuff.
Everyone’s a human and they learn in their own ways - the mangaka is illustrating it perfectly. The art’s pretty intriguing, loving it

Tumblr_inline_nmpg2zqwcs1s53ljo_100
joined Apr 4, 2014

Wow the comments blew up like crazy this is seriously so good. Hope it gets updated kind of regularly unlike a lot of other good manga here. No.1 genre to pair with yuri is drama

Screenshot_3
joined Jun 24, 2021

from the premise alone i know no one in this manga will be happy. yuni, nanase, and fuuko got themselves into a mess they cant escape lol

Iloveherface
joined Jul 12, 2020

I still don't like Nanase

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Lol, not so weird when you understand that while some people are inclined to see works objectively (focusing on the characters as a whole), just as much people will see it subjectively (focusing on the theme and emotion).

That’s not the distinction I see, and I certainly wouldn’t call it that difference “objective” and “subjective.”

Some people read stories as if the characters were real people in the readers’ lives, judging which characters are good or bad, likable or not, doing the right thing or the wrong thing in the given situation. The classic mark of this approach are posts which say, “I hate people like [character] who [do this unacceptable thing].” This is basically reading as if the story is a transparent window into a version of our world.

Others read a story as a construction, with its own ethos (usually related to our own to a greater or lesser degree) and its own logic. The characters are seen as functions of the plot, setting, etc. and the main issue is how the creator achieves whatever they’re doing.

I’d even say that many, maybe even most, readers usually unconsciously navigate between these modes of reading, sometimes reacting viscerally to the characters as if they were real, but also seeing how those characters exist in an imagined created storyworld.

But a good chunk of Dynasty readers seem to be committed to that first method of relating to stories, which sometimes comes off as if stories are supposed to be handbooks of proper human behavior and are seen as coming up short when they’re not.

LilyScentedBubbleBath
Img_20200913_125333_706
joined Sep 15, 2020

Omg gal leave them alOoooneee-

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Not really sure what the supposed problem is, I think this comment section is good. Thanks everyone for staying civil (mostly).

fauce posted:

This feels like bait, but maybe that's just what happens when you disagree with somebody.

Yuni obviously has SOME self-esteem, as shown by placing herself above Nanase's old crush. Yuni just seems frustrated that she can't spend any intimate time with her girlfriend.

You can classify Nanase's actions as manipulative, but I don't think it's out of maliciousness. To me she just seems like a busy milquetoast who's deeply anxious over a past poor experience with being seen as gay.

Fuuko is pretty obviously pushing Yuni towards cheating on her girlfriend, or at the very least being quite intrusive (she literally voyeured Yuni and Nanase), which personally makes me place her in "stinky" tier rather than "rocks" tier.

Really good post btw, the beginning was funny and poignant.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

That’s not the distinction I see, and I certainly wouldn’t call it that difference “objective” and “subjective.”

Some people read stories as if the characters were real people in the readers’ lives, judging which characters are good or bad, likable or not, doing the right thing or the wrong thing in the given situation. The classic mark of this approach are posts which say, “I hate people like [character] who [do this unacceptable thing].” This is basically reading as if the story is a transparent window into a version of our world.

Others read a story as a construction, with its own ethos (usually related to our own to a greater or lesser degree) and its own logic. The characters are seen as functions of the plot, setting, etc. and the main issue is how the creator achieves whatever they’re doing.

I’d even say that many, maybe even most, readers usually unconsciously navigate between these modes of reading, sometimes reacting viscerally to the characters as if they were real, but also seeing how those characters exist in an imagined created storyworld.

But a good chunk of Dynasty readers seem to be committed to that first method of relating to stories, which sometimes comes off as if stories are supposed to be handbooks of proper human behavior and are seen as coming up short when they’re not.

This just sounds like a long-winded way of saying "some people read stories wrong".

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

This just sounds like a long-winded way of saying "some people read stories wrong".

Then they shouldn't read the story wrong.

Being serious though, you can read any way you want. But if you try to discuss the story and want to persuade other readers, the first method is not the way to go because you're not using the actual manga at hand to make your points. How can someone else respond without a common talking point?

last edited at Aug 21, 2021 11:59AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.