Forum › The Nighthawk Drifts About discussion

Nisshoku
joined Jan 9, 2017

I'm annoyed at how the calendar on page 18 ends on February 29, 2021 skipping the 28th.

DivineAlexandra
Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

Someone's gonna be crawling back to Chinami to beg to be taken back. Then she gets a no and we'll have broken hearts and pain all around. But at least they can all move on then, they really need it.

Though, I get the feeling Chinami might take Yukako back now if she goes through with a divorce.

So from what others have said it sounds like there’s only an extra after this, so get ready for some kind of time skip epilogue thing. I wish there were more chapters to actually talk about where the two of them are going to go from here, but can’t always get what you want I guess.

Only an extra? That's way too little to wrap this all up. I feel like things are just getting spicy, too. A couple more chapters dealing with the divorce and the aftermath of it would've been a stellar read.

142220480_1294910914226700_370792848566403998_n%20(2)
joined Feb 3, 2021

"Holy shit" is what I could think of the moment Yukako pressed her brain's nuke codes.

LMAOOOO

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Someone's gonna be crawling back to Chinami to beg to be taken back. Then she gets a no and we'll have broken hearts and pain all around. But at least they can all move on then, they really need it.

Though, I get the feeling Chinami might take Yukako back now if she goes through with a divorce.

So from what others have said it sounds like there’s only an extra after this, so get ready for some kind of time skip epilogue thing. I wish there were more chapters to actually talk about where the two of them are going to go from here, but can’t always get what you want I guess.

Only an extra? That's way too little to wrap this all up. I feel like things are just getting spicy, too. A couple more chapters dealing with the divorce and the aftermath of it would've been a stellar read.

Sorry I was wrong, the series still has one more chapter and then an extra as well.

joined Nov 23, 2020

yooooo, i knew this one wasn't gonna end yet

joined Mar 6, 2018

This series is really good, especially since it does not portay the male partner as an irredeemable asshole. Watch me eat my own words as he resorts to violence in the next chapter. I like that she realizes herself that it's okay to be gay without a big bang

Pity
joined Jan 11, 2014

Feel bad for the dude. If you're gonna be marrying someone and you're not being physically forced to stay with them break up instead of cheating. Don't put your partner through it, have respect for them and yourself.

joined Mar 8, 2019

I hope Yukako figures her self and life out if she gets back together with Chinami. I mean, divorce her husband, get a job and support herself both financially and emotionally so she can mentally be sound enough for a relationship no matter who she's with. I also hope Chinami overcomes her trauma and realizes she doesn't have to change who she is.

last edited at Apr 6, 2021 3:46PM

joined Nov 21, 2018

I'm glad this chapter shed a little more light on Arata's situation; people were dunking on him pretty hard after the first chapter but I get the feeling that he's just as tired of going through the motions as Yukako. He can't even hang out with his 1 friend at work without someone making a big deal out of it.

droidsurlookingfor
R2d2
joined Mar 29, 2021

Looks good.

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

I'm annoyed at how the calendar on page 18 ends on February 29, 2021 skipping the 28th.

It's a metaphor for being frozen in time. They may have escaped the trap once by putting up a new calendar, but because the 28th doesn't exist, they'll end up being stuck in the 27th, unable to move forward, for all eternity.

Nisshoku
joined Jan 9, 2017

It's a metaphor for being frozen in time. They may have escaped the trap once by putting up a new calendar, but because the 28th doesn't exist, they'll end up being stuck in the 27th, unable to move forward, for all eternity.

Also, there wasn't a February 29th this year.

joined Mar 15, 2015

The dude should have known from the start, they are sleeping in different beds. Hahaha.

I've actually heard that this is relatively common for (happily) married Japanese couples to do, with only 29.2% of couples polled in the survey in the link below sleeping in the same bed.

https://tokyofamilies.net/2017/11/japanese-couples-sleep-in-separate-beds-seldom-kiss-each-other-but-many-are-happy-in-their-marriages-says-new-survey/

Then again, the article does have some things that strike me as rather surprising, such as how many couples never kiss; I'm aware that the Japanese refrain from public displays of affection, but I find it a bit odd that so many couples don't kiss at all.

Honestly I feel like a lot of people sleep on different beds just because it can be uncomfortable to sleep with someone, especially if they roll around a lot or something

Incidentally, my parents sleep in separate rooms, despite still being happily married, because my dad snores.

By the way, there's a typo on Page 7; Nana's mom says "I can still remmeber the two of you playing together when you were kids"- "remember" is misspelled. Also, it's a bit strange that "Mom" is capitalized when talking about one's Mom ("Sorry about that, Yukako-chan. My Mom's just being weird.")

joined Feb 15, 2021

That's the most awkward almost sex scene i have ever seen

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

Is it just me? I'm getting heavy masochistic vibes from Yukako.

last edited at Apr 6, 2021 8:34PM

Test
joined Sep 8, 2019

Well just get a divorce already and move to another place.
Problem solved.

I love how the Japanese standard way of living be like described in this manga. A stressful life, forcing one to get married especially females, having kids.

Yep, a "Happy Life".

It's not the guy's fault for not wanting to have kids early even though their families will be bugging them for long. Having kids may lead to a more stressful life especially if they weren't ready for it.

joined Jul 21, 2020

I'm glad this chapter shed a little more light on Arata's situation; people were dunking on him pretty hard after the first chapter but I get the feeling that he's just as tired of going through the motions as Yukako. He can't even hang out with his 1 friend at work without someone making a big deal out of it.

Arata's situation illustrates something feminism knew very well in the 60s (before it got corrupted and rotten) that is: men are also victims of the capitalist-patriarchal social establishment, and suffer because of it as much as women.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Akiji posted:

Arata's situation illustrates something feminism knew very well in the 60s (before it got corrupted and rotten) that is: men are also victims of the capitalist-patriarchal social establishment, and suffer because of it as much as women.

I wouldn't go that far. Some men eventually suffer, because it's a "dog eat dog" system and those at the bottom of the hierarchy are not in a good position, but most of the "capitalist-patriarchal social establishment" is heavily skewed in their favor. They just have to navigate with the flow and everything becomes a lot easier. That Arata guy just has to drop his friend (who he uses to make himself feel better anyway) and pretend to be a predator among predators and everything will get better. The system favors men who follow its "rules".

A woman, on the other hand, has to struggle a lot more and abandon a lot more to be acknowledged. And even then the system is actively putting her down, so it's never enough.

So, don't put the struggle of men and women on the same level.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Why is it, when a relationship is on the rocks, some people think that having a baby is going to fix it?

joined Sep 13, 2018

Why is it, when a relationship is on the rocks, some people think that having a baby is going to fix it?

Heteronormativity is one hell of a drug.

Re the new chapter, honestly I'm surprised she just nearly puked just from getting a little frisky from her husband. It was a bit nicer than previous chapters by just focusing in on Yukako and what's going on in her head imho

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

Akiji posted:

I wouldn't go that far. Some men eventually suffer, because it's a "dog eat dog" system and those at the bottom of the hierarchy are not in a good position, but most of the "capitalist-patriarchal social establishment" is heavily skewed in their favor. They just have to navigate with the flow and everything becomes a lot easier. That Arata guy just has to drop his friend (who he uses to make himself feel better anyway) and pretend to be a predator among predators and everything will get better. The system favors men who follow its "rules".

A woman, on the other hand, has to struggle a lot more and abandon a lot more to be acknowledged. And even then the system is actively putting her down, so it's never enough.

So, don't put the struggle of men and women on the same level.

no one said they were on the same level, it's not a competition. a lot of people suffer, for lots of reasons. the real toxicity is not allowing them to acknowledge it just cause their suffering isn't worse. arata definitely has a lot going on on his end as well.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

johnb posted:

It's probably related to surge of happiness and busywork related to having children/grandchildren. People push their problems aside in order to take care of them and joy of it can often overwrite their previous issues. It's of course not universal fix and doesn't always work, but it can definitely strengthen weakening bond. Think of it as giving your relationship a huge patch, that covers some of the problems, but depending on the size of them, it might not be able to support them and tear apart again.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Those were the days. In modern times, it's like societies are on a downward spiral of stupidity. You made me remind something I read once about the reactions to the discovery of the polio vaccine.

In the first half of the 20th century, people lived in fear of the incurable paralytic polio disease. By the early 1950s, tens of thousands were infected each year. It hit especially hard the children; one in ten died, the rest ended up horribly crippled. The disease was the terror of families everywhere. On April 12, 1955, researchers at the University of Michigan called a press conference that was broadcast by radio stations to all of America: they announced they had found a polio vaccine that was safe and effective. All across the country, in every town and city, church bells rang out to celebrate the news.

Think about it: churches all across America ringing their bells, not for God or religion, not to call for prayers, but to honor science. Priests using their churches to pay homage to the glory of science. Those were the days, indeed. Today, we count ourselves lucky if churches don't call their flock to fight COVID vaccination as a tool of Satan.

joined Oct 27, 2018

What is even going on in these comments!?

joined Feb 28, 2020

What is even going on in these comments!?

Someone said the f-word, consequently opening a door for users to share what they believe is the root of their discontent in regards to living in today's society.

To reply you must either login or sign up.