Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

joined Jul 14, 2016

This is a surprise. I definitely didn't expect another chapter, but its well received regardless.

I am glad they did get together, I'm weak for love that ends well. But really, the only thing I don't like is Kaoru confessing while drunk. It makes it look as though she was feeling uncomfortable around Uta, living together yet doing nothing. So she says FUCK IT, drinks a lot and lets her dumb self to decide for her.

I preferred the previous chapter as an ending to this story, but even if this one was unasked for and had some problems, I still like it, and am grateful to the author for making this manga.

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Well that was surprising. i thought it ended.

Still, cute ending and making it explicit. Not gonna get mad over the author basically trying to give the readers a present. Ah well. It was a decent series that I wish had more length to it but it ended as I expected and I am satisfied

joined Sep 4, 2016

The author must have caught a lot of flak for that half-assed ending, and put out something that had a more solid closure. I will admit that I was quite surprised that there was another chapter, but I'm glad that there was. While not perfect, this is way more palatable than the previous chapter end.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Come on... that's totally "fans requested it, so okay, I made that chapter, but keep in mind that it's not how the story was supposed to end".

Tsuki-chan Uploader
Unknown
Chads no Teikoku
joined Dec 18, 2013

Nya-chan posted:

Come on... that's totally "fans requested it, so okay, I made that chapter, but keep in mind that it's not how the story was supposed to end".

Agree

joined Jan 18, 2016

Man, i remember seeing the first chapter being pretty hyped to see how tMnR would explore the relationship, as i was a pretty big fan of her Love-Live doujinshi. This was a massive let down for me, i personally think tMnR are not ready for a serialized work and all of its baggage, deadline and what not. Even the art got notably worse at later chapters.

I'd still follow her if she decided to go back making one shot doujinshi and what not at her own leisure, but for another serialized work i dont exactly have any confidence left. Granted im a freeloader complaining about shit i dont buy and stealing the livelihood of the author, though i did bought full volume of YagaKimi from amazon japan, even though i cant read any of it, lol, because thats a series that was fantastic from all front.

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

it's like I've read a fanfiction
even the drawing style feels comical though originally it was angst as fuck

last edited at Feb 17, 2021 5:18AM

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

My heart tells me "I like this". I mean, seriously, that's sweet.

But my brain says, "well, y'know it's kinda like fan service and you'd rather appreciate the ambiguity of the previous chapter cuz you think that one is in lieu with the bittersweet tragic-ness of unrequited love."

Having said all that, I wish the author and the scanlators the best. Thanks for publishing and translating such an intricate love story.

last edited at Feb 17, 2021 5:16AM

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

It's alright

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

@linkuan I assume you didnt mean to post that comment 10 times- might wanna delete all the extras.

joined Jan 23, 2017

That was terrible. The original ending was bad but this makes it even worse.

joined May 7, 2017

Well, that’s one way to send off this series, I’m utterly disappointed with this ending, especially seeing the story’s biggest plot to be concluded in such a poorly fashion, like they clearly weren't lovers and were back to Square 1 living together as a family, insane levels of character development.
Also, what a character Kaoru was, right, she went from UTA, WE’RE FAMILY to UTA, PLEASE, BE MY LOVER, KINDA, in half a chapter, thanks to the offscreen shenanigans. Gotta love them. In hindsight, yeah, the author was kinda on a tough spot, he/she placed himself/herself though, so there wasn’t much to do after last chapter - and the bitter taste it left on all of us - in terms of clearing up the air, speaking of characters, Risako had the makings to be great, yet, it felt like her involvement on the series was cut short because of time constraints, good job on that author. Felt like she deserved her own series, just felt.
Anyway, all this disappointment I’m feeling I had it coming for putting so much stock into this series, started off with such intriguing premise I couldn’t help myself. Lesson learned.

last edited at Feb 17, 2021 12:09PM

Z7geahm
joined Sep 7, 2016

I'm happy with both endings.

Alcoholism
joined Apr 15, 2017

Agreed.

Dynasty%20profile%20v13
joined Apr 27, 2018

Wow! I didn't realize that the last chapter was so divisive...

I personally think it was a good ending for the story. I felt unsatisfied with the previous ending because I felt like it was implying that Uta's feelings were forever unrequited. And when it comes to love stories I dislike them when they don't have happy endings. So I am glad about the new ending to this series.

last edited at Feb 17, 2021 2:48PM

Miowink
joined Aug 21, 2020

Thank fucking god.

Anime-pictures.net_-_519241-700x1000-inuyasha-inuyasha%20(character)-inuyasha%20(human%20form)-sorolp-long%20hair-single
joined Mar 27, 2019

I’m kinda happy with the second ending. First one was confusing and open end conclusion which wasn’t satisfying for my imagination. The author continued to pursue that this is type of ending that she wanted. She probably didn’t want to end it exactly this way due to pressure of being a serie and having rush time to finish. But I’m glad to know that the author wanted it to be yuri.

joined Feb 18, 2015

Agreed.

I also agree...

I appreciate that opinions can differ, but I don't really UNDERSTAND why so many people didn't see this ending coming. It was hinted at throughout the manga.

Kaoru pretty much came to the realization, through the events that occurred, that it was really Uta that made her life livable all along and not her brother, especially knowing that her brother had only married her because of a sense of guilt based on his last conversation with her dying mother. There were several scenes that hinted that she might be developing feelings beyond "sisterly" feelings for Uta earlier in the story, which were always commented on by readers and frequently highlighted on the credits page by the translators. You can say what you will about the "rushed" or "time skip" ending being an issue, but, frankly, any ending where they got together where there wasn't a significant amount of time between when Kaoru's marriage ended and she realized her growing feelings for her former sister-in-law, now roommate, would have seemed FAR too soon and a bit contrived after the way she left things the last time they talked, which was, pretty much, 'I still love your brother, but you were the person who kept me grounded and made me feel like I had a real family and possibly the person I truly needed to have with me all along.' Going from that directly to, 'I've changed my mind and I think I've fallen in love with you!' would have come across as false. Putting time between those events and Uta moving in with her, allowing Kaoru time on her own to become more her own person and then more time after they started living together again for her to come to grips with her real feelings makes much more sense. However, those would have been BORING manga chapters, so a time skip makes a lot of sense.

last edited at Feb 17, 2021 6:23PM

20200119_124434
joined Jan 19, 2020

^zensunni explained it well and I 100% agree with them.

That aside I am happy with the manga, I don't care how dramatic or angsty it was, I enjoyed it a lot! Good manga just wish we would've seen more of Kuro

last edited at Feb 17, 2021 6:26PM

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

zensunni posted:

I appreciate that opinions can differ, but I don't really UNDERSTAND why so many people didn't see this ending coming. It was hinted at throughout the manga.

Lol. Nobody said they didn't see it coming.

Kaoru pretty much came to the realization, through the events that occurred, that it was really Uta that made her life livable all along and not her brother, especially knowing that her brother had only married her because of a sense of guilt based on his last conversation with her dying mother. There were several scenes that hinted that she might be developing feelings beyond "sisterly" feelings for Uta earlier in the story, which were always commented on by readers and frequently highlighted on the credits page by the translators. You can say what you will about the "rushed" or "time skip" ending being an issue, but, frankly, any ending where they got together where there wasn't a significant amount of time between when Kaoru's marriage ended and she realized her growing feelings for her former sister-in-law, now roommate, would have seemed FAR too soon and a bit contrived after the way she left things the last time they talked, which was, pretty much, 'I still love your brother, but you were the person who kept me grounded and made me feel like I had a real family and possibly the person I truly needed to have with me all along.' Going from that directly to, 'I've changed my mind and I think I've fallen in love with you!' would have come across as false. Putting time between those events and Uta moving in with her, allowing Kaoru time on her own to become more her own person and then more time after they started living together again for her to come to grips with her real feelings makes much more sense. However, those would have been BORING manga chapters, so a time skip makes a lot of sense.

Nice fanfic you wrote there. Also I don't understand why you put it into spoilers? You think it's controversial idea or something and hope people who disagree happen to not read it, because they'd be afraid of spoilers?

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

Lol everyone accepts that they are close but they are turning into lovers was the entire premise/ This manga was about how their relationship will develop but you are saying that it is boring and it is ok that they magically become in love when time passes. Like I honestly get what you mean zensunni but this manga as a whole was a boring dramatic series without much happening so skipping time when finally something is happening is not a great way but more of a running wa. Atleast that's what I think. Basically you are saying it is ok to skip whatever happens between them that made them a couple while that was the whole point of the manga.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Citrus Syndrome
As long as the MCs got together in the end, there were always some readers who wouldn’t care how it happened, no matter how implausibly, no matter how disconnected from way the story developed, no matter how much authorial handwaving it took.

Kaoru’s specifically sexual feelings for Uta—we had almost 50 chapter equivalents, and those feelings are directly presented in a handful of pages in an asspull epilogue.

But they kissed, so all is well.

last edited at Feb 17, 2021 10:03PM

joined Mar 29, 2019

So the original author drew a new ending? Huh....well then continue it. We want our happiness.

joined Jul 14, 2016

@linkuan I assume you didnt mean to post that comment 10 times- might wanna delete all the extras.

Hahahq didn't notice. My it wasn't posting so I spamed the post button. Sorry tehe

princess_daphie Uploader
Honeyview_hanekawa1
Daphie's
joined Feb 1, 2021

I'm surprised either endings are so divisive!!! I loved them both. At first, I was okay with some open end, I mean it was still kinda sad, but at least they were going to live together, so it was huge, and it left the possibility of who knows what might happen in the future, you know?! And now we got the epilogue?! I feel like it's that "who knows what might happen", that turns out to be super positive! I was smiling when I read it, and I'm still smiling thinking about it!

To reply you must either login or sign up.