Forum › Hello, Melancholic! discussion

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Of course Hibiki's approach isn't generally applicable, it just happened to be effective with Minato, and only to a point. The pressure exerted by Hibiki has been building up inside Minato this whole time, and it reached critical levels in chapter 11, with the "you're just like your father" comment being the explosion. At least now Hibiki is starting to catch on that good intentions are not enough; she needs to respect Minato

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Beautiful art and interesting characters, so of COURSE it's already been cancelled.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

I binched this manga a couple of days ago and absolutely loved it, just to find out right after that there would be only one chapter more.... yuri getting cancelled without getting to finish their stories always hurt, but I think this one is the one that has hurt the most for me in a while, dang it

Monitor%20lizard
joined Nov 21, 2020

I'm constantly worried Hibiki's going to blow her cover. No human mouth can open that wide...

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Wait it's cancelled? My disappointment is immeasurable and my week is ruined. I was really honestly enjoying this to the fullest of my heart, probably the only new series/chaptered manga I enjoyed in a while.

I normally don't like manga that have another focus (ex. music, theater, etc) but this one really spoke to me. Maybe it's because of how relatable Minato is with my inner emotions but straight away the main focus were the relationships, which I really like (it's what I read these for anyway)

I thought the dynamic and irony that Minato (the shy and timid one) was able to tell her feelings straight away while Hibiki (the outgoing and able to tell what she's feeling, amazingly by the way) was the one who couldn't say how she felt outwardly when it came to Minato was so good and interesting, it's a shame we can't see the relationships more fleshed out (especially with Chika and Sakiko)

ストレンジカメレオン by the pillows is really good, I've been listening to it on repeat after seeing it from the first chapter

last edited at Dec 10, 2020 3:12PM

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

13 and 13.5 are out, and they're pretty wonderful. Almost enough to be satisfied with it being axed. Almost.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Sorry I'm not able to keep up with this series. Based on the post above, are the chapters actually song names? If so, I'll definitely add them! I honestly didn't even make that connection.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Good god, this manga really blows everything else out of the water. Why do the good die young?

joined Aug 8, 2020

Wait its over already?! Damn. So many of my absolute favorite stories keep getting axed hella early.

joined Apr 17, 2017

Grim to learn this and Pocha Climb! are cancelled. I was reading Pocha Climb! enthusiastically, and I guess I haven't seen it for a while now. This manga I discovered about 2 days ago, and I'm already caught up on it, because it is really intensely absorbing. I especially enjoy Ohsawa's take on making music, and the way this isn't any typical kind of music ensemble. I loved the way they communicated with one another the way they played. It looks like Ohsawa is tying up the romances very fast here at the end, which I do appreciate. But it's pretty awful it's getting cancelled. This is by far the best premise Ohsawa has developed so far, and I was looking forward to seeing it go somewhere.

I don't know if this was the same in Japan, but I remember from an interview with U.S. comics writer/editor Louise Simonson that there were particular comics at Marvel in the 80s, which didn't sell well, but which by editorial decision they kept running because they believed in the quality of the work. She singled out Dr. Strange as a title that never sold, but that the editorial staff insisted on holding on to and keeping alive, because they thought the quality was high enough to merit keeping there. Of course, at the end of that era, in the late 80s, those low-selling titles got axed to clear the slate for other titles. But I'm sorry that sort of sentiment and intent isn't working in favor of a story like this one. It's the kind of title that is so good, I feel like it could catch on if more people were aware of it.

I just ordered both volumes from CDJapan the other day. A real shame that we won't get to see more after the next chapter.

joined Jan 20, 2016

This is one of the best manga i've read. If only it was longer ahhhh. I love all the characters and dynamics.

joined Nov 27, 2016

Yayy chika and sakiko got together. Ok, I’m content with this, all the couples are together, that’s all I could ask for with it’s cancellation

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

Eh, seems fine if that was already it. Chika is a useless cutie and now she finally got her girlfriend. Didn't care much for the other two.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

As usual, the side characters get more progress than the main couple.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

As usual, the side characters get more progress than the main couple.

Nothing new here, it'w what happen all the time.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Hmm I suppose these two chapters were good enough to kind of wrap up the main and side couple (at least it wasn't just axed randomly), we have one more chapter left right? I'm guessing it's gonna be Christmas day. We still haven't seen Nanoka and her girlfriend's (I'm assuming) relationship, which I'm guessing what Ohsawa wanted to touch upon if it didn't get cancelled.

It's a shame, it doesn't feel super rushed but it still feels rushed. Props to Ohsawa for doing her best with what she had left. I really enjoy the characters and wish we got to see more of them, but unfortunately that's not gonna be the case.

Lumg21
joined Jan 6, 2020

Sorry I'm not able to keep up with this series. Based on the post above, are the chapters actually song names? If so, I'll definitely add them! I honestly didn't even make that connection.

They are. The extra page at the end of each chapter has its name.

WildCreature also has links to most of them in the comments on MD.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Inb4 Ema chan's GF reveal is Chika's imouto D: D: D: lol I really don't know!

Yeah the main couple is really adorable and seeing someone like Minato grow so much and finding a place for herself is amazing... Also the flirting was super cute, but at the end of the day, since the first chapters the moment I saw Chika, I knew she would make a great character and oh boy she really did! what an amazing side couple... In fact, can we even call it that? It's pretty much on pair with the main one and they both had AMAZING endings. Truly a cool manga, I didn't even feel the rush... maybe missing a couple more live concerts in the school maybe

Tumblr_plvohxwphc1ulm2g8_540
joined Sep 25, 2015

God, I'm gonna miss this manga...

joined Jun 30, 2016

Amazing, so glad they are finally together,

joined Sep 19, 2020

Its gonna continue, right? Please tell me, it isnt over

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

They are. The extra page at the end of each chapter has its name.

WildCreature also has links to most of them in the comments on MD.

Thanks so much! You're a miracle. Added them to the first post in this thread.

last edited at Dec 13, 2020 8:33PM

Img_20151224_170313
joined Feb 21, 2016

As a musician with debilitating social anxiety, this manga's themes hit a little painfully close to home (except I played all the way through university and never made one friend the whole time). I must say though, as a classical musician, I find the portrayal of concert band as stifling/uninteresting to be a tiny bit insulting, lol. Anyway, this author's music stuff always strikes me as thoughtful and well-researched, it's fun to read!

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

she joins the concert band though

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

It's interesting to see the main couple in a yuri manga overtake the side couple for once and then give the side couple the push they need to catch up. I feel like usually the side couples are the ones who push the main couple to their resolution, but it was the other way around here (although, Chika and Sakiko are more like a secondary main couple than a side couple with how much story focus they've gotten).

Anyway, I just binged this entire thing in one go and it's already 6am. It's incredibly good.

To reply you must either login or sign up.