But it's okay
So i can re-read it again
Thanks for the scanlator to work on this series
Love the ohsawa yayoi work

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Well, I finally read it properly.

The ending of the main relationship was really strange, and feels cut entirely too short. Chapter 9 gives us the lead-in to botched confession drama, and then chapter 10 neatly - like oh my gosh this is Yuri how is this so neatly done! - ties it up with a more proper confession, accepted silently. That same confession is even postulated upon by other characters! The sequence is so sweet, too. I was really happy...until I reached chapter 13, and the whole thing basically gets run back again. Like I understand the insatiable desire for will-they-won't-they action, but this sequence was just so weirdly strung together. I'm left imagining alternate scenarios where Ohsawa gets to establish and play with those post-chapter 10 dynamics for another volume before jumping into the concert arc, which clearly had more build-up than we saw pay off.

More importantly...Yuri Hime seriously robbed us of the opportunity to see them in these friggin fabulous shirts? And Hibiki in a suit! That's unforgivable...

All that said, add me to the list of people shouting, "It's really good!", even if I'm left unsatisfied. Serializations often seem to be better ending too soon rather than too late, but Ohsawa's writing in this was so top-notch, it barely felt like a serial at all. The callback to the dad ~7 chapters later was like, woah. That was so long ago! Yet the conflict felt natural and really re-framed others parts of the story in a new light. Surely she would've treated us to more surprises like that as time went on. I loved everything about Chika and Sakiko's relationship too, there were some neat tropes in there.

Oh and the art?? Is super good?? Not only are all these characters super well-drawn, but they totally destroy manga syndrome. I love the clash in each couple's design - Chika's angular face and harsh eyebrows with Sakiko's soft, openness were really impressive to me particularly. When Chika gets swept up in Sakiko's beauty it's like, yeah. Of course she does, because Sakiko is drawn to be beautiful in a way no other character is.

Wanderer posted:
One thing I'm kinda sad about is that we really didn't get any reveal or conclusion about Ema's life or lover huh. She was nice and a good support character but I feel like we never really got to explore her as a person compared to the other members of the cast.

Oh yeah and second this! There were some really cute moments with her, would've been awesome to see her evolve and become less mysterious.

last edited at Apr 7, 2021 10:22PM

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Ok, this was sooooo gooooood. Like, this is all what i thought and hoped Hibike Euphonium to be. Its probably Yayoi's best work to date and you telling me it got axed? It almost feels like Yayoi knew it wasn't going to last for long and did the best of the few chapters she was given. The only complain i have (The same one many others seem to have) is that we never see what type of person was Ema dating, not even a hint of it, so i really really hope Yayoi makes some sort of "Where are they now?" chapter in the future and we get to see who she was dating as well as seeing how Chika and Sakiko are doing in their new life. Overall, yeah, this is among my favorite yuris of all time now.

joined Apr 6, 2021

So I just finished this series and came straight to the comments to say “OMG this is amazing! Everyone should read this!” But it looks like literally everyone beat me to it lmao. At the same time though, I’m thinking “why is no one talking about this?” Right now there’s only 80 comments but this is one of the greatest yuri series I’ve ever seen! Art, characters, story... it’s all so natural and captivating!

OrangePekoe’s comment above sums up just about everything I’m feeling about this. If the series could have gotten like 10-15 more chapters, then this would probably be my favourite yuri of all time. I am genuinely heartbroken that this series got the axe, and I know I’ll be feeling it for a while.

That being said, I’d say this is still probably in my top 5 romance series. And I’ve gotta say, Yayoi handled the cancellation really well (better than a lot of other cancellations I’ve seen lol). It was obviously pretty abrupt but it still gave me just enough goodness that I can live with it. But it just feels bad that we never got to meet Ema’s partner:(.

I really wish there was a way to get more chapters, but I’m glad we still got this much. Maybe we’ll get lucky and Yayoi will do a continuation some day, sorta like Hanjuku Joshi and Motto Hanjuku Joshi. I’m gonna try to keep a little bit of hope for that lol. Or maybe an anime adaptation, which would be absolutely AMAZING

But one final thing I will say... if someone ever set up a GoFundMe to raise money for another volume, I’d definitely pay my share!

last edited at Apr 28, 2021 5:08AM

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

I'm not going to rehash what almost every other comment has said, but yeah, this was one of the best things I've read in awhile. What a shame it didn't get more love.

joined Mar 28, 2017
Jl83e9qs73r71
joined Jun 11, 2021

Good read. Enjoying the random chapter in the front page really, helps finding series. Shame it was ended early but I feel pretty satisfied with it all honestly, it's wrapped up neatly.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

came here looking for more after reading can i get you to go.

this series is so adorable - i love it so much. i would have liked to see some more intimate scenes between the two main characters. some nice smooches, and nuzzles would have been good.

loved it either way. i feel like i've been blessed with a few extra years of life after reading something so heartwarming. <3

joined Jun 3, 2014

^^^
Runrin, thanks for suggesting this manga in the comments of "can I get you to go", I got to read this lovely story because of you.

joined Feb 1, 2021

Ran through this whole series in two sittings - it was a delight!

Raven%20dialogue%202%20dynasty
joined Jul 23, 2021

Absolutely loved the character design. The girls look good in how differently they wear their uniforms, their casual clothes and most of all their concert outfit. Gave me nostalgia for my own college music club days, and MC being tantalized by shoulders is so on point.

6631e8220bec2737023f64d8a2b36b99
joined Jul 20, 2020

Maybe if we buy enough volumes we can get more chapters

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

This is my 5th re read and I can solidly say asano minato is trans. (Hc but ok actually super relatable to me)

last edited at Jan 18, 2022 2:49AM

Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

The way things are presented, I really thought Ema might've been a main character from another manga, but since nobody has mentioned it, I guess I am wrong.

Images
joined Sep 20, 2016

side couple wins this. icant believe how much they made me feel
ah wish they had their own long series

joined Aug 13, 2021

The moment in Chapter 4 where Minato figures out that Hibiki's hand is hurting and is telling her to rest is true romance. One of the best moments in your period.

Roody
joined Feb 11, 2022

Just reread this today. It was even more incredible the second time. Still wish it was bit longer, but only because it’s so good that I need more.

Tumblr_lhn2y5j5rz1qbc0x9
joined Jul 26, 2013

This was very cute

joined Jan 17, 2019

I can’t believe I found this manga just two days ago! And I felt for it from the first chapter!
I probably won’t say anything new that wasn’t said already, but still I want to write my share of appreciation :)

Beautiful, detailed art and story, interesting, different characters, nice written plot, not so common theme - I really, really enjoyed reading this.

If I didn’t read the comments about this manga being axed I would probably assumed that it was just a bit rushed ending. It’s a shame that such good story didn’t get more volumes.

Still, for me it was totally worth reading. Thanks for the Author and Scanlation Team!

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

picked up volume 1 and 2 and preordered 3. rereading it and once again, i must say, politely, TRANS ASANO TRANS ASANO TRANS ASANO

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Volume 3 came with an Emma epilogue I don't think I've seen anywhere. I know a few people held the complaint that they wanted some kinda nod to Emma's relationship, and I will say it's a bit of a letdown. I will say there were way more points in favor of the official translation than the fan one here. Official made certain scenes be more romantically direct and more true to character. only a few quibbles were like, some reason OT would run a "like" in lieu of "love". It's a shame the Sakiko and Chika chapter didn't squeeze in. Makes the status of their relationship a little more fraught in the graduation plans scene without that context.

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Volume 3 came with an Emma epilogue I don't think I've seen anywhere. I know a few people held the complaint that they wanted some kinda nod to Emma's relationship, and I will say it's a bit of a letdown. I will say there were way more points in favor of the official translation than the fan one here. Official made certain scenes be more romantically direct and more true to character. only a few quibbles were like, some reason OT would run a "like" in lieu of "love". It's a shame the Sakiko and Chika chapter didn't squeeze in. Makes the status of their relationship a little more fraught in the graduation plans scene without that context.

No kidding about not having the Sakiko and Chika chapter, I guess it wasn't in the original volume 3 release. So, not really the localizer's fault. But that ending for them is totally different without their Christmas chapter. The Emma content was fun, if not a bit questionable since she's 15-16 and her GF seems at least in her early 20s. But it's just there to show she has a really needy mess of a girlfriend because she loves being relied on. And yeah! They said " like" almost every time to the point of redundancy

last edited at Dec 22, 2022 3:46PM

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Part of it may be a way of tempering any aspect of melodrama, maybe? Which never seems to be a problem in the favorites of mine i end up snagging to begin with, but is a common localizer thing.

One key change i found really interesting was the dialogue at the end of the date Hibiki "dragged" Minato around on, was changed to be "baiting" as in baiting your reaction, which is like more of an admission of romantic intent. I think the particular choice for the idea the OT expressed with that maybe wasn't the best as you have to go "wait a second, baiting what?" but some spoken admission of "I was trying to get a read on you" would have made it super solid.

joined Aug 20, 2022

Just got the official translation of volume 3. It was nice seeing new content (the Emma bonus story), but I would've MUCH preferred Chika and Sakiko's Christmas story instead :') Feels more relevant and connected to the main story, like another conclusion. Emma's story just adds another layer to one character (and part of me would've been okay with leaving her a bit of a mystery).

That one disappointment aside, I'm happy to have this manga completed on my shelf. Gotta be one of my favorites. (I'll still probably read it on this site from time to time, since there are things I prefer about this scanlation, though lol)

joined Mar 28, 2020

Just got the official translation of volume 3. It was nice seeing new content (the Emma bonus story), but I would've MUCH preferred Chika and Sakiko's Christmas story instead :') Feels more relevant and connected to the main story, like another conclusion. Emma's story just adds another layer to one character (and part of me would've been okay with leaving her a bit of a mystery).

Seven Seas was just following the Japanese release which also omitted the Christmas chapter

Ichijinsha released the Christmas Story is its own volume, so I guess that's a separate license

To reply you must either login or sign up.