Forum › Fukakai na Boku no Subete o discussion

joined Feb 24, 2019

Glad Mogumo wasn't hury any worse after that cliffhanger. Hopefully they are able to patch things up with the family and their mom can hopefully start to get better.

joined Jan 13, 2019

it was a bad situation that wasn't kind to anyone. sure mogu said harsh things to their mother but their mother and father spent just as many years not listening to them. their parents were invested in the idea of mogu rather than the truth of who they actually are

Img_20210903_230019_067
joined Aug 2, 2020

A friend asked me if it was safe reading this manga, because they thought the art was misleading (as in it was a fanservice). But then I said, "No, you can trust Hachimitsu Scans for this kind of manga."

And I was so looking forward to this chapter! And now I want the next one!

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

What Evitron said. It was just sad it had to come to that and at such a young age for Mogu too. As I said, dad wasn't helping and he wasn't even there. Not sure what to feel about the upcoming parental confrontation. There is good intention behind it but I am scared for anyone getting hurt. Hopefully Testu comes along to be there for Mogu.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

Is this manga an accurate representation of non-binary people?

No, Mogu is never referred to with gender neutral pronouns or makes any claim that he/they prefers the "he" that is used throughout, though considering how they feel about masculinity would pretty likely use something neutral and speak up on the matter as everyone using "him" around them (mogul's boyfriend included) obviates it a lot.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

mmmmmmmm
bandage mogumo

2SpiritCherokeePrincess
Carol%20grigg
joined Jun 20, 2020

Gotta say tho that wasn't a very nice thing Mogu said to their mom.

Mogu's mother is not responsible for the body they were born in, but all those years she denied who they are. That's why they lashed out.

A friend asked me if it was safe reading this manga...

Warn them not to read the prequel.

Yes. And I sure wish a certain self-loathing person would stop trying to make cisgenders hate us all.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

A friend asked me if it was safe reading this manga...

Warn them not to read the prequel.

At least read the third one.
The other two are great too but I guess not for people who don't like fuckin.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Their mother is also struggling and confused, but the dad is an abusive shithead who treats his kids like shit just because he's never bothered to understand them. You shouldn't hold an abused child responsible for lashing out in frustration.

So he’s your average Japanese father then?

Maybe you should leave the commentary to the adults.

Original
joined Jan 30, 2019

No, Mogu is never referred to with gender neutral pronouns or makes any claim that he/they prefers the "he" that is used throughout, though considering how they feel about masculinity would pretty likely use something neutral and speak up on the matter as everyone using "him" around them (mogul's boyfriend included) obviates it a lot.

Dude, I'm not sure what you mean but I don't think that's the manga's fault? I haven't read the raws but third person gendered pronouns are not as common in Japanese and afaik, people prefer using the person's name (with a suffix). In this case, they say "Mogumo", "Mogu-chan" or "Ryuu-chan".
Like, gendered pronouns aren't a strict thing in many languages.

last edited at Sep 5, 2020 3:53AM

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Not honestly getting a good vibe out of confronting the parents. Dad is a huge problem and emotionally abusive, Mom is just broken. Dad needs to go, but Mom is so weak... Mogu is the most stable but they have enough on their hands. Sakura could live with Mogu, but leaving Mom alone? She needs help picking up the pieces. I suppose getting rid of Dad would be a start, but then it goes back to Mogu and Sakura trying to help a very ill adult.

Really they ALL need to live with sane and supportive people.

joined Jan 6, 2017

Oof. That hit me so hard I had to take a break halfway through

C6ecb18a42241236b33d8a43252bfaf1
joined Apr 30, 2020

Not honestly getting a good vibe out of confronting the parents. Dad is a huge problem and emotionally abusive, Mom is just broken. Dad needs to go, but Mom is so weak... Mogu is the most stable but they have enough on their hands. Sakura could live with Mogu, but leaving Mom alone? She needs help picking up the pieces. I suppose getting rid of Dad would be a start, but then it goes back to Mogu and Sakura trying to help a very ill adult.

Really they ALL need to live with sane and supportive people.

Just move in with Tetsu please.

Haaaaze
joined Feb 7, 2016

I... really see nothing wrong with this manga at all. Sometimes... there's drama in manga. Not everything is cute girls doing cute things. And also characters not getting things quite right is part of the plot? It's fine if that's not your cup of tea or is outright triggering or even just unpleasant for you to read, but please don't act like it's morally wrong for it to exist.

Anyways, I'm happy to see Sakura accepting them and apologizing, but... I really hope someone talks Mogu out of talking to their parents... /that/ worries me both in a "someone's going to get hurt" and a "writers never seem to handle abusive parents well" sense.

Teru%20frown
joined Jul 9, 2020

The last two chapters make me feel like I've just been punched in my soul... Bringing up a lot of painful memories.

joined Oct 27, 2018

Dude, I'm not sure what you mean but I don't think that's the manga's fault? I haven't read the raws but third person gendered pronouns are not as common in Japanese and afaik, people prefer using the person's name (with a suffix). In this case, they say "Mogumo", "Mogu-chan" or "Ryuu-chan".
Like, gendered pronouns aren't a strict thing in many languages.

Yeah, the use of "he", was entirely a translation thing. The official english translation handles this better, and tbh is kinda a bit better in general, not to hate on hachimitsu, they do great work, but in this instance, the official translation beats it out.

Edit: Hachimitsu did stop using he/him as well though, so I don't really know where this person is coming from saying everyone misgenders Mogumo.

last edited at Sep 5, 2020 6:20PM

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

The recent chapters are still he/him or else just say Mogu-chan.

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

Yeah, the use of "he", was entirely a translation thing. The official english translation handles this better, and tbh is kinda a bit better in general, not to hate on hachimitsu, they do great work, but in this instance, the official translation beats it out.

Edit: Hachimitsu did stop using he/him as well though, so I don't really know where this person is coming from saying everyone misgenders Mogumo.

I think this is ultimately just another case where the translators had to wing it and once it was clear that they got it wrong, they correct it. Not uncommon in fan TL - the popular fan translation of Dangan Ronpa messed this up since they had no way to know (because it was a plot twist). Hachimitsu is pretty thoughtful about this in general when they do have enough information

The official TL will often have access to notes from the author so they were able to get it right - that's another upside to official translations even if the scans sometimes do a better job with tone or nuance.

It's a tricky balance though. Sometimes misgendering the character is an accurate representation of the dialogue even if it's uncomfortable to read.

Speaking of uncomfortable to read... as a big fan of this series I feel like the last two chapters have been a bit too much. I kind of understand what the author is going for here but I hope this doesn't become the new tone of the series from here forward, it's kind of dropping a bunch of different familial and personal issues on the reader at once along with sensitive issues like suicide and abuse. It feels like it would've been better to spread it across a couple more chapters, though they at least introduced the eating disorder stuff more slowly.

IMO Bokura no Hentai is a good example of dropping these themes on the reader a bit more slowly and incrementally, though the sexual assault themes still kind of slap you in the face with little warning. I do think fukaboku is doing a very good job of making each cast member distinct and relatable, better than most recent series in the genre.

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

Great, heartwarming chapter. One thing I love about this series is its absolute commitment to both the wholesomeness and the angst. Back when the earlier chapters talked about dysphoria and suicide, it clashed heavily with the general cute aesthetic and hit you like a truck. And now that things are (hopefully) taking a turn for the better, the happiness of Mogu and their found family café also feels so genuinely satisfying. I do hope we actually get a happy ending and like 5-10 chapters of post-resolution fluff that explores some lighter aspects of everyone's lives and relationships.

joined Oct 27, 2018

Really good chapter, probably my favorite in a while, and like Kirin said, it is a great example of this stories use of both wholesomeness and angst. Side note, Mei looked really cute this chapter.

Edit: Is it just me, or does this chapter seem like it's getting ready to end? God, I hope not.

last edited at Oct 2, 2020 6:07AM

joined Jan 13, 2019

i'm sensing an ending coming up...

HonestYuriHawk
joined Apr 5, 2018

I hope not. This is one of my favorite series. However it does seem like almost all the lose ends have been dealt with but Mogumo's.

joined Oct 11, 2019

I hope not. This is one of my favorite series. However it does seem like almost all the lose ends have been dealt with but Mogumo's.

Just nicely wrap up all the loose ends and then give me a fluffy ongoing slice of life nonbinary love story please okay thank you

joined Apr 26, 2016

Also Kotori getting a gf. Stares at Mei

joined Feb 23, 2020

Also Kotori getting a gf. Stares at Mei

That would be the absolut best.

To reply you must either login or sign up.