ForumFukakai na Boku no Subete o discussion

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Also, I don't expect a kid to understand, especially in that household, but when someone is trying to help (mom saying she'll go get groceries), you DON'T stop them. Maybe you do it together, if you're still unsure. But never stop someone in that situation because it prevents them from growing or getting better.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

People are just going to be who they are, no matter how you want them to be. Even if you're their parent, your kids are different people from you.

Yeah, it seems to me like dad is the one destroying the family, and mom... Oh man, well, she's just blaming herself but it's not clear for what exactly. The family is falling apart because the "idea" of family the adults have is a fake one and they don't realize it.

Obviously Mogu can't go back to that house. Really Sakura shouldn't be in that house. The adults need some counseling, but in Japan there is a stigma about that. The kids both need to live somewhere else for the time being.

Honestly, Mogu's mom should divorce their dad. He's clearly an abusive fuckstick who is ruining his daughter and wife's emotional lives, leaving them both with serious mental health problems, and who has estranged himself from Mogu. He is 100% all of their problems and everybody would be happier if he took a long walk off a short pier. I hope Sakura gets a chance to see Tetsu's family dynamic and realize that her dad is an abusive shithead.

joined Aug 21, 2017

Is this manga an accurate representation of non-binary people?

joined Oct 27, 2018

Well Mogumo's identity is continually validated by the manga and there hasn't been any nasty stereotypes, so yeah. The only thing that I can imagine might turn some ppl off is that Mogumo is very feminine leaning. Well, and sometimes pronouns aren't used correctly, but that's more on the part of the translators than the actual manga.

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

zero sympathy. can't wait for this part to be over

joined Nov 21, 2019

I think we can all agree that the dad is a shitty person. The question is how will the series deal with him? Will he see the error of his ways, or will Sakura and her mom end leaving him?

Icon
joined Oct 15, 2017

nb people are on a very wide spectrum (perhaps better worded lack of a spectrum?)
so an accurate representation is a bit hard to pin in my opinion .
but as someone who is nb i can say i love mogu and this manga very much !

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

Adding on, the idea that a representation can be or not be "accurate" is hard to pin down because of the great diversity of non-binary people. Mogu explicitly describes themself as neither male nor female, suggesting a gender, but there are also people who are third gender, bigender, genderfluid, etc, not to mention the many non-binary genders specific to particular cultures such as two-spirit people.

It's kind of like asking if a female character is an accurate depiction of a woman. What would that mean? Do we mean avoiding misogynistic tropes? Do we mean it successfully investigates the female experience? If so, what are we describing as the "female experience"?

For what it's worth, yes. The manga avoids bad tropes about non-binary people. It does discuss and investigate the non-binary experience, though we must recognize that it's only one version of that experience. Which is fine, we just need to understand there are many other ways to be non-binary and that those experiences are different. (And it would be a stretch to argue that author is portraying Mogu's life as the only type of non-binary experience.)

Specifically it looks into cisnormativity, heteronormativity, social acceptance, dysphoria, how being non-binary can affect friendships, how being non-binary can affect romance, and with the last couple chapters we now have how being non-binary can affect family relationships.

joined Apr 6, 2019

I wonder if it's considered a good representation of trans girls, wondering as a nonbinary person.

Cccccc
joined Apr 20, 2013

Hmmm is odd that someone would ask if this is an accurate representation and then 5 comments later someone ask if this is a good representation.

Speaking of yes or no, ANN did a review and https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/love-me-for-who-i-am/.161220 ... this person didn't took it well, not at all, so according to ANN this is a very bad representation, I don't know if someone here could agree.

last edited at Jun 30, 2020 1:35PM

joined Jan 6, 2017

As a trans girl I can say that this is pretty good representation wise. All the trans women are well portrayed, Mei especially is very relatable to me, and they're all properly written as characters instead of them just being "representation" or whatever. The story doesn't much deal with the problems that come with being trans, rather it's more focused on portraying different kinds of "weird" people in a positive light, which is also why the mc is a cis guy instead of a trans character.

joined Oct 27, 2018

As a trans girl I can say that this is pretty good representation wise. All the trans women are well portrayed, Mei especially is very relatable to me, and they're all properly written as characters instead of them just being "representation" or whatever. The story doesn't much deal with the problems that come with being trans, rather it's more focused on portraying different kinds of "weird" people in a positive light, which is also why the mc is a cis guy instead of a trans character.

What? Tetsu is not the main character, Mogumo is, Tetsu is the deuteragonist or maybe a co-protagonist at best. He was introduced as the POV character, but that quickly changed. Even when he is serving as the POV character, the story still revolves around Mogumo and their relationship with others.

joined Oct 27, 2018

Hmmm is odd that someone would ask if this is an accurate representation and then 5 comments later someone ask if this is a good representation.

Speaking of yes or no, ANN did a review and https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/love-me-for-who-i-am/.161220 ... this person didn't took it well, not at all, so according to ANN this is a very bad representation, I don't know if someone here could agree.

Yeah, I massively disagree with that review. She's just flat out wrong in a number of ways. For example, the author of that review claims that Mogumo's efforts to be feminine indicate the mangaka thinks that Mogumo's gender is for the benefit of Tetsu or something, but they are flat out wrong, this is just a review about the first volume and they are making sweeping assumptions about a plot point that hasn't been resolved yet. That subplot very clearly concludes in the next volume that Mogumo shouldn't change themself for others, tbh im not sure why the reviewer didn't see that it would obviously resolve this way, i knew before the actual resolution, how that would end. Other complaints just seemed like weird nitpicking to me, like they were upset the manga doesn't go into why these characters are trans, which to me is extremely reductive, i don't have some elaborate reason why im trans, i just am.

Cccccc
joined Apr 20, 2013

Well it has a heated discussion there, some people agree, a lot of people disagree, others are even disappointed and mad with it, like you said even if they go in deep or not about the reasons or details about transexuals, you shouldn't expect all that from just one volume.
I think the reviewers (like many people in the comments at ANN) found out that the author also does hentai works and that's the angle they took to completely disregard this works (based on some comments mocking the manga saying this is just a fetishism manga) the characters and even the author.

A moderator said that this is just the opinion of one person and that she has the right to think that way, we can agree or disagree and that's okay but the impact and the reach that ANN has for the community shouldn't be taking lightly as just an opinion, considering there are people who were waiting all their lives for a works like this.

I deleted my account there last year because I couldn't stand the same people in the forums that always show up when there's something bad to say about the industry of anime, Japan as a country and their artists but they're ghosts when there's a trailer or good news, I I wish they could take a good look at the mood they create and change.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

I think the reviewers (like many people in the comments at ANN) found out that the author also does hentai works and that's the angle they took to completely disregard this works (based on some comments mocking the manga saying this is just a fetishism manga) the characters and even the author.

I think it is very likely related to this weird neo-puritan zeitgeist. It is an ever increasingly frustrating ideology that once a LGBT+ artist creates a work that conveys even the slightest bit of sexual thought they are forever tainted as not one of the good upstanding members of the LGBT+ community and now all their works are secretly aimed at cis/het people. Of course this is a bad thing as cis/het people consuming LGBT+ media created by LGBT+ creators is fetishization, where as cis/het people writing queer characters is good and not tokenism because it shows how far we've come in the neoliberal quest for gestures without action. Far more damage is done by excluding LGBT+ creators whose lived experiences or fantasies involve sex or abuse or other "problematic" elements than could ever be done by those evil fetishizing cis/het men and women consuming such media. People's experiences and fantasies involve sex and relationships that are not perfect and healthy, erasing these stories and creators from LGBT+ spaces because you dislike them or think that some greater public will dislike them and thus set back the "movement" is no better than the outright attacks by the religious neofascists who have used these same refrains of pedophilia and abuse for 60 years.

last edited at Jul 4, 2020 2:25PM

joined Oct 27, 2018

I think it is very likely related to this weird neo-puritan zeitgeist. It is an ever increasingly frustrating ideology that once a LGBT+ artist creates a work that conveys even the slightest bit of sexual thought they are forever tainted as not one of the good upstanding members of the LGBT+ community and now all their works are secretly aimed at cis/het people. Of course this is a bad thing as cis/het people consuming LGBT+ media created by LGBT+ creators is fetishization, where as cis/het people writing queer characters is good and not tokenism because it shows how far we've come in the neoliberal quest for gestures without action. Far more damage is done by excluding LGBT+ creators whose lived experiences or fantasies involve sex or abuse or other "problematic" elements than could ever be done by those evil fetishizing cis/het men and women consuming such media. People's experiences and fantasies involve sex and relationships that are not perfect and healthy, erasing these stories and creators from LGBT+ spaces because you dislike them or think that some greater public will dislike them and thus set back the "movement" is no better than the outright attacks by the religious neofascists who have used these same refrains of pedophilia and abuse for 60 years.

Im not gonna get into any wild theorizing, I just disagreed with the review.

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

Im not gonna get into any wild theorizing, I just disagreed with the review.

You will be allowed to grill when and only when the culture is no more.

Maiev_shadowsong%20small%202
joined Oct 20, 2017

Can we please add Love Me for Who I Am and FukaBoku as alternate titles?

To reply you must either login or sign up.