Forum › Posts by kaelynn

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

PS: One of the only changes from the LN I noticed with this arc is that the manga implies the Crosswise Curse physically changed Yu's body, whereas the LN says it's a semi-permanent illusion causing people to see her a certain way, not causing her to BE a certain way. But that might have been more complicated to communicate with a smaller text budget, idk.

It probably also just makes the significance of it read more clearly without having to think about it deeply. "Something very unwanted happened to your body and you can't fix it" is more immediately alarming than "people can't recognize you for who you are" and many people would probably say they could just shrug off the latter (even if it's not actually true.)

If Inori was going directly for like a conversion therapy metaphor it undermines that, but if it was meant to be a direct trans metaphor this is probably a clearer way to express it. My impression from reading the novels was that it was meant to be conversion therapy*, but it wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong.

• obviously what that looks like in a given country is going to vary
Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

Muromaki is so smart

kaelynn
Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

classic negom

kaelynn
Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

Slippery snakey!

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

We know Elsa can time travel, so is this time traveling possessed Evie?

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

the introduction of the mom made this series' vibes tank so quickly and it feels like she won't be leaving anytime soon. instead of it being akane and nadeshiko cutely stumbling their way through a relationship now it's Voyeurism Mommy's Coerced Sex And Parenthood Time

last edited at Sep 12, 2023 3:46PM

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

Wait, she's using the cute hijinks possession arc to show how Garth became the stalwart yuri danshi? An unexpected backstory, lol.

yeah he's definitely going to discover what he wants to draw

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

what

EDIT: oh okay the 'fin' doesn't mean this is the END end

last edited at Aug 11, 2023 10:34PM

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

I get the impression that Gina knows what that thing actually is, right? Or does she only think it's a bug?

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

Hibai underestimates the Benika Protection Squad once again

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

The idea that breaking them up would cause Rose to abandon the priest seems really naive based on what we've seen so far, I wonder if they just completely don't understand her

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

So, why exactly does Natori suddenly have a calculator on her? O_o

She had her handbag with her when she got summoned, so I guess she carries one around! You never know when one of your scumbag no-good freeloading coworkers will ask you to do basic sums for them

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

Now that's a premise

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

That may have resolved a little too painlessly, but I appreciate that a lot of unimportant stuff was elided so the story could get moving

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

"piss chapter"? what is this, onimai?

kaelynn
Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

I feel like we're gonna find out what actually happened to Sorawo's parents is different from the story she told

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

You can be gay, and you can be gay, I can be gay, we all can be gay!!!

-The author, probably

Now all we need are girlfriends for Dahlia and the mysterious hooded woman

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

For me it feels like this chapter brushes a lot of the uncomfortable and unpleasant aspects of the earlier chapters under the rug, and the whole experience feels off to me because of the earlier chapters and the forcefulness in them.

Yeah Marika is way too casual about what Aya's been doing considering her reactions to it in previous chapters, even if she's happy to be in a mutual relationship. Maybe we'll see some of that baggage get unpacked later but it feels like the author just doesn't care about depth or authenticity (which, to be fair, is a valid way to write)

Btw why did they debate about dropping the series? What was wrong with this chapter?

It had a ton of text to clean and typeset and translate, I assume. Text-heavy chapters suck to scanlate

last edited at Feb 6, 2023 2:37PM

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

Is it just me or does Chizuru's design have real strong Takako Shimura vibes here

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

What's going on in this playthrough of the game and how many other characters know it's a game?

There's also the question of whether there are NPCs in on the secret (i.e. Yasei no Last Boss) vs other actual players (i.e. I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss), I could imagine either or both coming into play here but I feel like having other players in the picture would kind of ruin it. Genre-aware or structure-aware NPCs could be really fun.

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

OK, amplifies, catalyst, sounds legit . . . hang on, what about the demon possession thing?!

I don't think we should assume future Elsa is a good person just because she's Elsa. She could be from a different timeline where things went really bad, and she could also just be satisfying her own whims (gonna get those two to hook up) without regard for the consequences

Would present day Elsa let Dahlia (who she cares about A LOT) get hurt using holy magic, and put herself+Evie at risk just to push their romance along? I don't think so

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

I’m kinda curious now, was the succubus blood love potion originally in the game for the love interest? Or was that a trap laid by the villainess system specifically for Evie?

I’m also curious about the implications that Evie somehow has a unique constitution that makes her extra susceptible to being posessed.

Maybe in one or more of the game's bad endings, the villainess gets possessed by a demon?

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

I feel like the odds are slowly increasing that Evie will accidentally seduce the demon lord

I feel subtext Yuri is mostly a thing with manga, while GL manhua and manhwa are much more to the point with little ambiguity.

Judging by the GL and BL stuff that gets posted on Bilibili's official EN reader, there's a lot of subtext but they have more than a few series that are to the point with characters dating or getting married, and the occasional bonus chapter that (not depicted fully of course) includes characters doin' it. I suspect the wider set of stuff available on their CN reader and on other sites is probably a similar spread of approaches. Hard to say for sure though, it's possible they curate the selection of what is available on EN readers based on what they think westerners want.

last edited at Sep 19, 2022 7:23PM

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

The translation of the latest chapter title feels EXTREMELY liberal to me. Is that really the vibe of what the author meant? I'm not seeing it

Userpic-128-white
joined Jul 21, 2015

Isn't it seems like miss Dahlia already meet with future Elsa?

That was my first thought when she said something about “incomplete memories” but then I got sidetracked by her being a hot demon nun xD

She might also just mean that Evie has forgotten things she should know (as a result of reincarnation? As punishment from the villainess system?) - like maybe helping the orphanage was explicitly her idea so she should remember that but doesn't