Forum › Posts by no space

no space
joined Oct 11, 2019

This story is everything to me now

joined Oct 11, 2019

If it wasn't riding on Still Sick's coattails, I don't think anyone would have paid this any attention, and justifiably so. Akashi seems like they can come up with interesting setups, but struggles in the execution. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I remember thinking Still Sick fell off in the latter third or so too.

I'm actually glad they didn't end up together, but mostly because their relationship felt so vacuous. I actually had to go back and reread it to be sure I wasn't judging too harshly based on the back half, but there's just no spark whatsoever, romantic or platonic. I found myself relating far more to the characters observing their relationship from the outside, because even though I was privy to details of the relationship they weren't, it still felt creepy/weird/awkward/cringey for this adult to be hanging around with a child and inserting herself into her family life out of nowhere. The narrative just kinda mushed them together, and then all of a sudden they're codependent. That isn't to say that's inherently a bad plot device, sometimes people form unhealthy attachments with relative strangers and it could make for an interesting story to see that play out for better or worse, especially with the age difference. But instead they're both just generically decent, uninteresting people, and their problems all work out because they're so decent and uninteresting. Keep in mind, the first chapter of this story portrayed both of them as Actively Suicidal, and then it's either forgotten or handwaved away by the next chapter. And what a dumb, ultimately meaningless twist chapter 2 turned out to be - but I have to stop, this story really doesn't deserve any more of my time.

I maintain that a good editor could fix a lot of these issues, but the same could be said for most authors. In the end, it's a rare thing to be a good artist and a rare thing to be a good author. To be both is approaching the divine, especially on a deadline.

Thank you SAD, even if I found the story itself disappointing, your work is always impeccable

last edited at Jan 30, 2024 2:58AM

no space
joined Oct 11, 2019

Always nice to see an author who knows how to show, not tell. For instance, rather than just coming out and telling us, they use the needle thing to reveal that this story takes place in a universe where tweezers dont exist. Masterfully done.

joined Oct 11, 2019

This fucking sucks lmao

A blessing upon all aspiring writers: may your editors be merciless

last edited at Nov 7, 2023 3:37AM

joined Oct 11, 2019

Honestly this chapter's setup feels a lot more reasonable for a misunderstanding than last chapter, I don't know if anything will beat not catching on to someone literally dry humping you in a bathroom stall.

joined Oct 11, 2019

"Wow it sure was nice of Ayaka to invite me to her wedding, but it's kinda weird that I have to wear a bride's dress too. I guess I'll finally be able to see this boyfriend she's so obsessed with though."

joined Oct 11, 2019

"Well, this could be fun, as long as the age gap isn't too- never mind."

Dynasty desperately needs a tag for stories that go beyond "age gap" to actual pedophilia. You can read what you want, but people should have a reliable way to avoid it

joined Oct 11, 2019

Will the other chapters from volume 2 be uploaded, or has the scan been dropped? Is there a raw TL anywhere if so? I have no idea where to look.

no space
joined Oct 11, 2019

I'm with Daphie, this chapter felt really vapid, like the author is just doing a paint-by-numbers. Maybe it'll go somewhere interesting, but I just... can't bring myself to care about anything that's happening.

joined Oct 11, 2019

I've been missing this one, and what a great spot to catch up to. Thank you scanlators for the delicious food

no space
joined Oct 11, 2019

I just want these four to all start dating please, they're so good together

joined Oct 11, 2019

Was something supposed to happen between chapters 16 and 17...? Why are they on a date suddenly

joined Oct 11, 2019

I can see there's a volume 2 for this series now, does someone need to acquire it?

joined Oct 11, 2019

Re: chapter 99. Does anyone have a diagram of the various unrequited love geometry in this story? I've completely lost track of all the side characters.

Re: chapter 100. Yessss!

I made a MS paint quality one here but it was awhile ago

Okay now make one about whatever they were talking about in 101

no space
joined Oct 11, 2019

What is this couple!? So cutee

They're from this series!
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/hide_your_tears_you_crybaby

no space
joined Oct 11, 2019

The yuri in this manga was okay, but the online clan was definitely the high point. Glad we got a bonus chapter of them

last edited at Dec 16, 2021 6:33AM

joined Oct 11, 2019

"I won't be able to touch Reiko for the rest of my life"
Subtext intensifies

joined Oct 11, 2019

Thank you Gouma-den for the delicious food

joined Oct 11, 2019

I would have given anything for an older lesbian to look me up and down and help me sort things out when I was Kita's age. They both know she's trans, Sakuma being coy about it isn't going to help anything when she can just be openly supportive instead.

joined Oct 11, 2019

Pretty sure the author just announced a "Season 2" on Twitter! Seems like new chapters will start next week
https://twitter.com/ekawata_kiw/status/1443789808766050313

joined Oct 11, 2019

This story is going to live with me forever. I'm in love with their love.

no space
joined Oct 11, 2019

I love these two so much, please be roommates forever

joined Oct 11, 2019

Out of all my years reading Yuri I don't think I've seen the former idol plot beat "that" many times. At least not in Yuri specifically, so personally I'm fine with it. Also I think with how being an Idol is a big dream in Japan, and there's a often major problems with being an Idol, that a former Idol narrative makes sense for a Japanese series to have. Kind of reminds of the "American Dream" not working out type of narrative in American media. Both types of narratives are still relevant in current day.

There've been a few on Dynasty recently, so I can see how it would feel like a bit of an oversaturation currently. Plus a lot of them are the same kind of "I'm an idol or just recently stopped and also I just happen to be your/your friend's favorite and oh what a coincidence that we meet and now I'm inexplicably drawn to you." Big wish fulfillment vibes rather than just treating idol as a job one of them happens to have.

It's less dealing with the nuances of modern culture and more "my mom just sold me to One Direction"

last edited at Jul 2, 2021 7:04PM

joined Oct 11, 2019

This is the greatest series in existence, I can't handle how sweet it is

no space
Secret discussion 13 Jun 19:31
joined Oct 11, 2019

That's a yikes from me. Thank you to the translator though, I appreciate the hard work

last edited at Jun 13, 2021 7:31PM