Forum › So, Do You Want To Go Out, Or? discussion

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I feel like Saeko's sexual attraction to Miwa is still her main reason for liking her.

Saeko is crazy in love with Miwa.

That much should be obvious to everyone at this point of things.

I think it's 95% about sexual attraction.
You can't love someone by hiding every side of your hurtful part, and also, never really tolerate the weak part of your partner.

???
I can't tell if this is boffola or sposta be serious.
Saeko's character development right now is 100% about how she has fallen madly in love with Miwa (who at first she dated just for fun) but hasn't realized it yet because it's a first for her and she doesn't get her own feelings.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Is Saeko a trans guy??? And was hurt and ridiculed for it before, now hiding behind long hair?
I'm very confused now. Saeko is very boyish in everything regardless of verbal expression of gender

And what will be now, after Miwa asking for switch?

I've heard pretransition trans guys are not comfortable with their bodies, but I'm not sure why Seako is not a switching type. Is it physical or emotional insecurity?

How to make a difference between a trans guy (possibly hidden) and a lesbian in such unclear situation like here, at this point in story-line?

I seriously doubt Saeko is trans. That isn't the kind of core protagonist trait you drop on the audience 20+ volumes into the series, especially when there are already several one-shots documenting these character's lives. She was just a tomboy as a kid.

Finding Jessica Lambert
joined Jun 20, 2020

^
Thanks. Yeah. I was confused about "Prince Sae". It's like double ID. An undiscovered mysterious character, almost another person. Not another personality of Saeko, just someone else.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

^
Thanks. Yeah. I was confused about "Prince Sae". It's like double ID. An undiscovered mysterious character, almost another person. Not another personality of Saeko, just someone else.

"Prince" is a common trop in Yuri, it refer to Girls with short hair cuts and chivalrous attitude. That's a trope that mostly never have been associated to trans, not that i read that much trans mangas.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

It's interesting how some readers have an entirely different view on this than me. Where I see them overcome the troubles and grow closer again and again, even if everything isn't perfect yet, and consider the new troubles a chance to solve another problem, they only see impending doom. I've decided to name this the Bakarina Syndrome - due to remembering the original one-shot, people are so focused on the doom flags that they completely fail to see all the more positive developments this series has had.

Same...

And even if it ends in a breakup, I feel like if they don't have to regret ever getting together, to me it would be a happy end, or at least bittersweet.

Finding Jessica Lambert
joined Jun 20, 2020

^

"Prince" is a common trop in Yuri, it refer to Girls with short hair cuts and chivalrous attitude. That's a trope that mostly never have been associated to trans, not that i read that much trans mangas.

I agree with you.
I think I was confused because all prince-types girls are usually present as characters from the beginning til the end, without much changing their appearance.
But for now we as readers did not see "Princ Sae", only Saeko as Saeko we know. Maybe after introduction of Prince Sae situation will not be as confusing as now. Probably you can see now why I reacted and commented like I did, and why I was confused.

I did not read that much trans manga too, I remember only Giro no gender recently (but there is almost everything mixed in)

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Poor gals; really want it to work, but the firmer you hold the more it shall exceed your grasp.

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

I'm not sure if anyone asked this before, but is this Kan guy supposed to be Korean? I'm Korean myself (a very shitty Korean at that but still Korean), and that definitely sounds like a Korean last name... although it seems that's actually his first name and his mom just gave him that name to make him "unique," so I guess that probably explains that. Still, he definitely looks like a depressed K-pop singer or something along those lines, and I'm glad that Ranka (I'm assuming that's Rankarana?) vindicated my opinion by calling him Bts-kun.

Anyway, I'm definitely enjoying the story a lot. As others have said before, it's amazing to read a long yuri story that actually starts with the main characters hooking up, and I'm invested in the characters too... well, the two main characters anyway, I'm having trouble distinguishing between the two bands since I thought that Miwa was in Saeko's band? Well, I'm sure something happened that I just forgot about haha.

Kase%20(1)
joined Jul 6, 2020

Damn that's such a cliffhanger... I did definitely consider if Saeko was trans (especially with the way the chapter ended with Miwa wanting to top her) but then I realized they've seen each other naked so I guess that rules that out. I'm extremely curious now about what their secrets could be, now it feels like this new translated chapter is taking more time to come out than the others did lol

last edited at Jul 6, 2020 11:05PM

Vamoaver
joined Apr 16, 2013

It's interesting how some readers have an entirely different view on this than me. Where I see them overcome the troubles and grow closer again and again, even if everything isn't perfect yet, and consider the new troubles a chance to solve another problem, they only see impending doom. I've decided to name this the Bakarina Syndrome - due to remembering the original one-shot, people are so focused on the doom flags that they completely fail to see all the more positive developments this series has had.

I agree. Even though it is frustrating to see them not being honest with each other, I think this is just the build up to them finally opening up. Not being able to talk about the things that have hurt you in the past (or present) is a real problem I've seen some friends struggle with and it can really take a toll on your relationship, romantic or otherwise.
But maybe the level of difficulty to get over that and talk about the important stuff is what ends up breaking their relationship, maybe it just doesn't come natural to them.
I believe the author is doing an amazing job at portraying real issues a couple can have and that's why it resonates with me more than your typical yuri manga and also why I'm dying to see what comes next! (though technically we know how the story ends lol)

last edited at Jul 7, 2020 7:12AM

joined Mar 30, 2018

but then I realized they've seen each other naked so I guess that rules that out.

If someone trans is passing as the gender they were assigned at birth, usually being seen naked would not tend to give them away. Not that I think Saeko is; just what was being suggested was that she was FtM, not MtF.

Kase%20(1)
joined Jul 6, 2020

but then I realized they've seen each other naked so I guess that rules that out.

If someone trans is passing as the gender they were assigned at birth, usually being seen naked would not tend to give them away. Not that I think Saeko is; just what was being suggested was that she was FtM, not MtF.

I'm not sure why I initially assumed it was implying she could be MtF, I guess that's what my brain came up with because of the first few pages of the chapter talking about how Saeko looked like a little boy lol. FtM now makes more sense.

Sachifaceagain%20(2)
joined Jun 29, 2020

I'm gonna guess that Saeko had a pseudo-harem in middle school, then she got serious with someone, and that girl got jealous of all the others hanging around Saeko. Maybe her jealousy then led to her openly monopolizing Saeko, leading to people understanding what relationship they had. That would also explain why "they said even worse stuff about her" (the girlfriend), with "her" being the clingy one. If so, maybe something similar will happen in the present.

Wesaweverything
joined Jul 21, 2016

Thank god some people are reading this similarly to me. Even if we are getting the same ending as the oneshot, the relationship they have in the serialization is completely different.

In these past few chapters we've seen that they do care and are serious about each other: Both of them seemed self-consciously worried about souring their relationship, Miwa with her gloomyness/passiviness and Saeko with her jealousy. Also in chapter 19 Saeko introduced Miwa as a girlfriend to her mom, while Miwa offered to dry Saekos hair after noticing she had been hurt by being made to remember middle school. Furthermore Miwa is showing initiative in not only improving herself so that Saeko doesnt tire of her(ch 15-16), but also in uncovering Saekos past traumas and making sure she stops distancing herself whenever something that bothers her comes up(chapters 17 to 19).

To me this makes it seem that they are in fact emotionally invested in each other, something the one-shot outright denied they were.They arent struggling to fall in love with each other, but with breaking out of their past habits and experiences so that they can keep a healthy relationship(which they both seem like they want to do!). So, regardless of how it ends, this is completely different from the shallow relationship they had in the one-shot where they broke up apathetically without even trying or feeling anything.

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

For some reason, had it been that this manga is made into anime, I'd be more excited about this than Adachi to Shimamura. Idk. Just crossed my mind.

joined Aug 29, 2019

In these past few chapters we've seen that they do care and are serious about each other: Both of them seemed self-consciously worried about souring their relationship, Miwa with her gloomyness/passiviness and Saeko with her jealousy. Also in chapter 19 Saeko introduced Miwa as a girlfriend to her mom, while Miwa offered to dry Saekos hair after noticing she had been hurt by being made to remember middle school. Furthermore Miwa is showing initiative in not only improving herself so that Saeko doesnt tire of her(ch 15-16), but also in uncovering Saekos past traumas and making sure she stops distancing herself whenever something that bothers her comes up(chapters 17 to 19).

To me this makes it seem that they are in fact emotionally invested in each other, something the one-shot outright denied they were.They arent struggling to fall in love with each other, but with breaking out of their past habits and experiences so that they can keep a healthy relationship(which they both seem like they want to do!). So, regardless of how it ends, this is completely different from the shallow relationship they had in the one-shot where they broke up apathetically without even trying or feeling anything.

I agree, at this point their relationship isn't doomed at all, but it will end up failing if they don't open up to each other about the uncomfortable emotions they're feeling. I think jealousy and possessiveness are normal, to a degree, but they need to communicate their feelings and negotiate what to do about them.

It seems Miwa is starting to come out of her shell, she's probably found the resolve to make a stand for their relationship and actively work to maintain it. Now I guess we need to see if she goes through with it, and if Saeko manages to own her jealousy.

I want more stories like this, that are not so much, or at least not only, about falling in love, but rather figuring out how to keep loving, how to establish and maintain a relationship. I felt that Bloom Into You somewhat fell into that category (although more on the "learning to love"/"defining love" side), while this one takes it one step further, probably partly due to being set in college rather than high school.

last edited at Jul 9, 2020 7:59PM

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Eh they'll be fine. Unless they keep being consistently evasive with each other. But they'll be fine otherwise especially by real life standards.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I agree, at this point their relationship isn't doomed at all, but it will end up failing if they don't open up to each other about the uncomfortable emotions they're feeling. I think jealousy and possessiveness are normal, to a degree, but they need to communicate their feelings and negotiate what to do about them.

It seems Miwa is starting to come out of her shell, she's probably found the resolve to make a stand for their relationship and actively work to maintain it. Now I guess we need to see if she goes through with it, and if Saeko manages to own her jealousy.

I want more stories like this, that are not so much, or at least not only, about falling in love, but rather figuring out how to keep loving, how to establish and maintain a relationship. I felt that Bloom Into You somewhat fell into that category (although more on the "learning to love"/"defining love" side), while this one takes it one step further, probably partly due to being set in college rather than high school.

The positive developments and the problems are what make me think they're gonna go the "break up and get back together" route. The one-shot played things off like they mostly just went out because they were both gay, but the serialized story is definitely showing us Saeko falling hard, but neither of them is being honest about their feelings. I bet they turn into -that- couple.

The couple that breaks up, and gets back together, and this happens so many times that the friends just start to assume that the breakups are temporary.

DivineAlexandra
Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

Yea I'm definitely feeling like this won't pan out...

Not only is the miscommunication severe, but Saeko has some heavy shit she desperately needs to sort out. The top/bot dynamic is fine on its own and all, but the way she refused letting Miwa touch her... I dunno man. I understand Miwa being upset about it, and as much as she's been useless throughout the manga, she's at least putting in the effort to understand her gf.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

I haven't read this series in a long while, just caught up again.
I want them to work out, but I'm not sure if it'll happen.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

What a great chapter, 3-3.5 new developments. I'm really looking forward to where this goes. It's getting deeper.

I believe in this author to provide an interesting story, and while it's definitely not YagaKimi levels of trust, I don't think their relationship would end in the flippant or casual way it did in the original. And I think there is a decent chance they will still be together at the end of the series. They haven't raised any real break-up flags for me.

Oh and Rika is wonderful. Confronting Tsuruta so bluntly... maybe his pathetic crush can finally be resolved.

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

I guess mommy doesn't know her baby girl all that well.

Sarah of the Night
Kaijuislandfuruka2
joined May 12, 2020

y tho

joined Aug 22, 2019

I'm really happy with Miwa's development overall. I just feel proud of her and hope she can become a better person for herself too in case things don't pan out with Saeko.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Yea I'm definitely feeling like this won't pan out...

Not only is the miscommunication severe, but Saeko has some heavy shit she desperately needs to sort out. The top/bot dynamic is fine on its own and all, but the way she refused letting Miwa touch her... I dunno man. I understand Miwa being upset about it, and as much as she's been useless throughout the manga, she's at least putting in the effort to understand her gf.

Only being interested in giving isn't always a bad thing. I can't say whether or not this is case for Saeko, but it's entirely possible she just doesn't want to be on the receiving end because it really just doesn't do it for her. Most people expect sexuality to be a yes or a no, but there's plenty of people who are somewhere in the middle, and it can be difficult to explain how you can want to have sex, but not in the same way other people do.

That said, Saeko probably does have some heavy shit she needs to sort to out.

Oh and Rika is wonderful. Confronting Tsuruta so bluntly... maybe his pathetic crush can finally be resolved.

Yeah, she might be able to

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)
crush his crush.

last edited at Jul 16, 2020 3:48AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.