Forum › Run Away With Me, Girl discussion

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

What's even worse about Japan's policy is that same-sex couples aren't even allowed to adopt children there.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I know this is a stupid comment to make about such a serious issue, but it's the quickest way I can state my opinion on all that:

Bad Japan. Bad.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

In a manga with fewer chapters, I would definitely agree that nothing much more can happen, but I'd like to reserve my final verdict until the final six and a quarter percent of the story is over. So many questions left unanswered, and I hope most of them will be addressed. Maybe Tazune will realize how damaged he is and seek help. It'd be great if he could have a role in the life of his child instead of having a restraining order against him if he refuses to take responsibility for his actions.

Nope. Noooope. Fuck him. He's a sperm donor. He doesn't deserve to have a role in the life of his child, and at no point should he ever so much as speak to Midori or Maki again. He threw all that away the moment he took a swing at his wife.

Midori shouldn't have to interact with her abuser to sate his desire for a relationship with the baby he never acted like he even wanted.

That kid will get on just fine with two loving moms, a sweet gramma, and a wacky aunt.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

In a manga with fewer chapters, I would definitely agree that nothing much more can happen, but I'd like to reserve my final verdict until the final six and a quarter percent of the story is over. So many questions left unanswered, and I hope most of them will be addressed. Maybe Tazune will realize how damaged he is and seek help. It'd be great if he could have a role in the life of his child instead of having a restraining order against him if he refuses to take responsibility for his actions.

Nope. Noooope. Fuck him. He's a sperm donor. He doesn't deserve to have a role in the life of his child, and at no point should he ever so much as speak to Midori or Maki again. He threw all that away the moment he took a swing at his wife.

Midori shouldn't have to interact with her abuser to sate his desire for a relationship with the baby he never acted like he even wanted.

That kid will get on just fine with two loving moms, a sweet gramma, and a wacky aunt.

To clarify my earlier comment about being wrong about Doumyou, I remain in the “Burn Tazune with Fire” faction.

And I am also amazed at the impulse to rehabilitate him displayed by some readers.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

To clarify my earlier comment about being wrong about Doumyou, I remain in the “Burn Tazune with Fire” faction.

And I am also amazed at the impulse to rehabilitate him displayed by some readers.

I respect the capacity for forgiveness.

(passes out torches and pitchforks)

I do not, however, share it.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

He's a human being. No matter what you feel about him, it doesn't change this fact. And human beings can change if they want to. If he doesn't want to, fuck him and good riddance. But if he does, "burn him with fire" would only perpetuate the circle of violence that we need to step away from in this world. Reacting to pain with more pain only prolongs and worsens it. Be better than that.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

He's a human being. No matter what you feel about him, it doesn't change this fact. And human beings can change if they want to. If he doesn't want to, fuck him and good riddance. But if he does, "burn him with fire" would only perpetuate the circle of violence that we need to step away from in this world. Reacting to pain with more pain only prolongs and worsens it. Be better than that.

Given that Tazune is most assuredly not a real human being, but merely a fictional construct playing a thematic role in a narrative plot, I don’t particularly feel any moral imperative to be “better than that.” As I would if, say, we were actually talking about a real human being.

Instead, we’re talking about a character who exists only within a story and whose defining moment was punching his pregnant partner, not even in a momentary loss of temper in the midst of a passionate, knock-down-drag-out screaming domestic argument (not that it would be justified then), but because he was asked to pick up his dirty socks off the floor.

Unless you think it is a “fact” that Tazune actually exists somewhere in Japan and is need of anger counseling, at which point we don’t share enough premises to continue the conversation.

last edited at Jun 24, 2020 8:21PM

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Given that Tazune is most assuredly not a real human being, but merely a fictional construct playing a thematic role in a narrative plot, I don’t particularly feel any moral imperative to be “better than that.” As I would if, say, we were actually talking about a real human being.

Instead, we’re talking about a character who exists only within a story and whose defining moment was punching his pregnant partner, not even in a momentary loss of temper in the midst of a passionate, knock-down-drag-out screaming domestic argument (not that it would be justified then), but because he was asked to pick up his dirty socks off the floor.

Unless you think it is a “fact” that Tazune actually exists somewhere in Japan and is need of anger counseling, at which point we don’t share enough premises to continue the conversation.

It is a fact that he is a human being in the confines of the story. And since this is an incredibly realistic depiction of how damaged human beings can behave, it should go without saying that he should be able to be redeemed like an actual human being. I'm not seeing why we should suddenly stop treating this as a realistic depiction (even though yes, it is fiction) when someone is interested in rehabilitating the big bad boogeyman. Either it's realistic, and the characters can reflect that, or it's not, and you can set him on fucking fire. You can't have it both ways.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Well, the real people that sparked this subthread: were they talking about hypothetical future rehabilitation/redemption of Tazune, or about justifying his behavior?

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Well, the real people that sparked this subthread: were they talking about hypothetical future rehabilitation/redemption of Tazune, or about justifying his behavior?

It's never been about justifying his behavior, for me at least. There is no justification for what he did. If anyone thought that's what I was doing, that's a problem with them. I made it very clear early on in the early pages of this discussion that his actions can't be excused, only explained.

last edited at Jun 24, 2020 8:42PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

There was the hope that Tazune would be depicted as reforming so as to be a father to his child, which I think would be, at best, an unnecessary swerve in the focus of the story—pious lectures about Tazune’s “humanity” aside, nothing in the story so far suggests that he will be, or should be, made OK so that everything ends up peaches and cream.

last edited at Jun 24, 2020 8:42PM

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

There was the hope that Tazune would be depicted as reforming so as to be a father to his child, which I think would be, at best, an unnecessary swerve in the focus of the story—pious lectures about Tazune’s “humanity” aside, nothing in the story so far suggests that he will be, or should be, made OK so that everything ends up peaches and cream.

Again completely missing the point. It will never be "OK." It will never be "peaches and cream," nor should it be. But condemning someone for eternity for something after they realize it was wrong and try to do better isn't a solution, either. I'm done with this conversation until the final chapter comes out and we see what actually happened.

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

Ok, can everyone stop arguing and appreciate how beautiful this story has been, especially this last chapter? It definitely touches on some darker, depressing elements, and a harsh reality, but the way it uses that to send a message of moving forwards, finding a sense of purpose and joy, and taking their lives into their own hands, no matter what others say... It's beautiful. I wish people would focus more on appreciating that instead.

Icon
joined Oct 15, 2017

what do you mean one more chapter (, ╯︿╰,)

last edited at Jun 25, 2020 2:46AM

joined Sep 13, 2018

Regarding it wrapping up too neatly, and the happy ending falling outside of the range of tone the story offered up until now:

the confrontations.... And I feel pretty good about it.

Really excellent and interesting analysis! :0

This manga, to the very end, kept thwarting the hopes of all those readers who, judging by previous comments, wanted the conflicts in the story to be solved through savage violence.

They never got the violent, American-movie-style resolution they wanted. Instead, the characters showed us what's the Japanese way of doing it.

I... Don't really think this is a particularly an America/Japanese difference? Just... Look at all the violence/action centered manga that exists. Just Midori nor Maki are people who'd particularly punch someone, maybe if pushed to a degree, but it never came to that.

That said, I like the Doumyou scene, I still think people are overtly cruel towards her. Like she legit didn't know Tazune was physically abusive and she ended up wanting them to be happy.

And re:Tazune, if he was a real person, I'd hope he'd get help and stay the fuck away from Midori for literally forever outside of Maybe sending her money or something. That said! He's not and on top of that, didn't even show remorse. So fuck, I'll light the pyre myself with him on it.

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

It's been said many times before, but that almost slap was such a smart, and ingenious(?) way of handling the situation, not only did it just diffuse the situation but it also got a point across simultaneously
Maybe it was a way of showing the Midori has grown and she's not sheepish and dumb anymore, I don't know
But it was really impactful, that's what I know

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Throbelisk posted:

It's never been about justifying his behavior, for me at least. There is no justification for what he did. If anyone thought that's what I was doing, that's a problem with them. I made it very clear early on in the early pages of this discussion that his actions can't be excused, only explained.

Alternatively, you communicated your point ineffectively. And considering just how many people have interpreted what you said differently than you intended, probabilistically it's more likely that this is in fact the case.

Or to put it in other words, what seems more likely? That one person didn't communicate their point the way they wanted or that many people failed to interpret their point correctly? Logically speaking you go with the simpler action which would be that the one person didn't communicate their point effectively.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Alternatively, you communicated your point ineffectively. And considering just how many people have interpreted what you said differently than you intended, probabilistically it's more likely that this is in fact the case.

Or to put it in other words, what seems more likely? That one person didn't communicate their point the way they wanted or that many people failed to interpret their point correctly? Logically speaking you go with the simpler action which would be that the one person didn't communicate their point effectively.

Feel free to point out any quote from me that could be interpreted as trying to justify his actions.

Madame_Firenze
76047650-352-k633682
joined Jul 17, 2015

This has vaulted its way to my top 5 list. Absolutely brilliant. This isn’t the type of manga that begs an adaptation, but gosh I would love one.

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

Tazune trying to get Midori back from Maki is just him acting on his pride and shame.

YEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I've been wondering about that, actually.

Maki, all this time, has been living with her mom and sis at their family home. Do you think Midori will move in with them and make it a four-woman family? (And, if the kid is a girl, a five-woman family?) Or do you think Maki will get an apartment to live alone with Midori?

I myself like the first option, very much so. I'm very partial to extended families, I think they are good for the children. And Maki's mom, the way she was talking at first, seemed to be hinting that Midori would now live with them as a new member of their family. But then she said something that surprised me: "Momo, this will be a good chance for you to stop sponging off me, too." HUH? Does this mean Maki's mom wants Maki to gtfo of her house and find her own place, now that she's got a partner??

Too many confusing signals. I wonder what they're going to do...

joined Sep 13, 2018

I've been wondering about that, actually.

Maki, all this time, has been living with her mom and sis at their family home. Do you think Midori will move in with them and make it a four-woman family? (And, if the kid is a girl, a five-woman family?) Or do you think Maki will get an apartment to live alone with Midori?

I myself like the first option, very much so. I'm very partial to extended families, I think they are good for the children. And Maki's mom, the way she was talking at first, seemed to be hinting that Midori would now live with them as a new member of their family. But then she said something that surprised me: "Momo, this will be a good chance for you to stop sponging off me, too." HUH? Does this mean Maki's mom wants Maki to gtfo of her house and find her own place, now that she's got a partner??

Too many confusing signals. I wonder what they're going to do...

I mean 'You're apart of the family, Midori. Maki, you gotta leave the nest sometime' is pretty valid imho. Spend the holidays together, keep in touch, help each other out, etc. etc. Plus her Mom does seem to be the sort to tease her daughters in kind of a dry way, I'm sure she didn't mean for Maki and Midori to live elsewhere immediately.

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

I LOVE THIS I CAN’T WHY DOES IT HAVE TO END LET THEM BE HAPPY PLEASE

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

Holy god I nearly dislocated my jaw by smiling so wide and opening my mouth so big jesus christ I literally felt/heard it move like thunk wth. ANYWAYS I'M SO HAPPY FOR THEM I LOVE THEM SM THANK GOODNESS THEY FOUND HAPPINESS TOGETHER

Mmmm
joined Dec 13, 2019

ngl i'm so glad the mom's issues (still reading) aren't steeped in homophobia but rather her worrying for this pregnant woman and her kid. i mean yeah i don't WANT her to try and split them up for any reason but like...it's refreshing to m e

THE WEDDING DRESSES

last edited at Jun 29, 2020 2:25PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.