Forum › Yuri Is My Job! discussion

The%20witch's%20house
joined Apr 9, 2015

looking forward to the next ch

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Yikes, stumbled onto this and now I'm immediately gonna stumble as far away from it as I can. Miss me with that "Terrible People Being Terrible" and "Fetish Cafe Where Gross Men Drool Over Teenage Girls" shit. This is like the G-rated equivalent of a girl being blackmailed to work in a hostess club.

Z3
joined Aug 20, 2016

"Schwestern in Liebe" but Subtext?

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

How slow is the translation? Kidansha announced licensing of this between the scanlation of Ch1 and 2, and with current pace, they will release vol 1 before Ch3 is scanlated.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@blatant_harvester
I dropped it. Chapter 2 was done by a different group who picked it up, so the gap will likely be shorter.

joined Apr 11, 2019

I've only read till chapter 2. Though I'm getting the feeling that Hime and Ayanokouji have a history that resulted in Ayanokouji getting hurt.

Also, I think Hime's friend with recognize Ayanokouji.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I've read the first two volumes of this manga (titled "Yuri is My Job", which sounds like a more accurate translation than the one provided). Some people here seem uncomfortable with the café part of the premise, but I actually think that the roleplaying ties nicely to some of the themes I've noticed so far. A lot of the manga is about truth and lies, such as what it means to keep up a persona, whether telling a lie for a good reason is ever a good thing, and how difficult it can be to trust someone who doesn't always tell the truth.

A lot of people note that the main characters are jerks, and they certainly come off that way at first, but as the story goes on, they're shown to be a bit more complex than that. Without spoiling too much, Hime once made a well-intentioned but misguided decision in the past, and Mitsuki regrets some of her past actions. The latter half of the first volume is when the characters start getting fleshed out more and become more interesting, and the manga becomes somewhat dramatic starting in Volume 2.

last edited at May 6, 2019 12:29AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

That's good to know, I was one of those who got really mad with the first chapter, because the MC was treated unrealistically poorly (or a failed attempt of absurd comedy) to introduce the premise, but if the series continued being like that it would've been canceled long ago, and now there's even official translation up to vol 3!

But I would probably see this in the future (not announced yet) anime adaptation lo/

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

oh! I never knew this was here. Bought three volumes of it not too long ago.

joined Mar 15, 2015

oh! I never knew this was here. Bought three volumes of it not too long ago.

The fourth volume recently came out. It nicely wraps up the Blume election arc, but unlike the first three, there isn't much of a hook to get us interested in what will happen in the next volume.

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

To the concerns everyone has had, I'd like to throw in my two cents. The first volume was pretty rocky with the unintentional playing up of the coerced labor and everyone being in on it, things start to ease up in the second volume though the cheesy stage yuri dialogue and cheesy standard yuri dialogue both come off as awkward and unaware of each other, but in the third volume Miman is really starting to get the hang of it all as the manga hits pro wrestling tier levels of kayfabe and campy dialogue. Anytime now Triple H-oneesama is going to come rolling in to challenge Ayanokouji to the Hardcore Hydrangea belt, I can feel it.

joined Jun 13, 2020

To the concerns everyone has had, I'd like to throw in my two cents. The first volume was pretty rocky with the unintentional playing up of the coerced labor and everyone being in on it, things start to ease up in the second volume though the cheesy stage yuri dialogue and cheesy standard yuri dialogue both come off as awkward and unaware of each other, but in the third volume Miman is really starting to get the hang of it all as the manga hits pro wrestling tier levels of kayfabe and campy dialogue. Anytime now Triple H-oneesama is going to come rolling in to challenge Ayanokouji to the Hardcore Hydrangea belt, I can feel it.

I have to agree. I bought all five of the current volumes and it definitely gets better.

Lovelivealpaca
joined Feb 2, 2013

This is a sleeper!! Yea the first couple chapters are set up more as a gag manga but it gets incredibly interesting by the end of volume 2. I just bought and finished volume 4, and its a manga that keeps on giving. Also TSUNDERE GALORE

last edited at Jul 16, 2020 2:12PM

Smell_1
joined Dec 5, 2016

This is honestly just the best yuri manga I've read. I have never been so freaking happy and being squirmy and screaming like a teenage little girl while reading any other manga. 10/10 can't wait for volume 7.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I'm enjoying the series, although the release date for English volumes is rather slow. Volume 6 out in September, ended on a cliffhanger and Volume 7 won't come out until May.

I especially like the characterization in the manga. Mitsuki is probably one of the more realistic examples of someone who's lacking in social skills, especially since a lot of her problem is having trouble reading subtext behind social interactions (especially in Japan, where people are more willing to imply than to say outright).

One thing I'm curious about, which probably isn't a spoiler, relates to Mitsuki's family. In the flashback arc in Volume 2, she lives in a two-story house, which is large for Japan, and her family employs a maid. In Volume 6, when Hime visits Mitsuki, she sees that Mitsuki's living in a small apartment and while she notices the change, she doesn't ask about it. I wonder if the Yano family fell on hard times, and whether the story will reveal more about this.

last edited at Feb 12, 2021 1:34PM

GemmaTheFucker
Jo
joined Mar 20, 2014

I wish they upload the next chapters and volumes, i have found them in russian but i don't underestand a word xDDD

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

I wish they upload the next chapters and volumes, i have found them in russian but i don't underestand a word xDDD

You can always buy the official english translation by Kodansha on Amazon or on their website. I think its up to Volume 8 now.

joined Mar 15, 2015

You can always buy the official english translation by Kodansha on Amazon or on their website. I think its up to Volume 8 now.

Volume 7 comes out on May 18. I don't know if the Japanese release is up to Volume 8, although I personally suspect the series may be getting close to the end given how Volume 6 ended.

joined Feb 21, 2021

Just passing by to say that kanoko and sumika is my top ship here

0003_proc
joined Jul 21, 2019

Just passing by to say that kanoko and sumika is my top ship here

I agree but I fear we won't see this ship officially sail any time soon, if ever. I've read up till Vol. 6 in English and looked at raw chapters till the latest one (43). I can't read Japanese but, BUT, from a visual storytelling standpoint it looks like Kanoko is still very fixated on Hime. I think Sumika is trying to make her give up but I'm not sure.
They are the better characters in this series though, of that I'm fully convinced. Miman should've made them the main pair, Hime and Yano and their drama are so fucking dumb and repetitive.

last edited at May 18, 2021 8:54PM

Relopokilolo
Rsz_wa
joined Sep 5, 2019

I really hope all this talk about it getting better in later volumes

Also surprised at how many people are appalled by her being treated poorly at ch 1 and how few point out that she was trying to gold dig her way into an easy life even going as far as not caring for her classmates unless they were filthy rich.

Also i love the no in-betweens mindset some people had where the only possible arc is for her to marry a poor person and live a life of depression and squalor rather than to marry a financially stable person with an average income to show that life is not all about money

edit: kanoko is the biggest bitch in all 7 continents and 195 countries

last edited at Jun 15, 2021 12:09PM

joined Mar 15, 2015

edit: kanoko is the biggest bitch in all 7 continents and 195 countries

I think that's an exaggeration. She's somewhat misanthropic and is jealous of Mitsuki(in the latter case, the feeling's mutual), but for the most part, she doesn't even act on those feelings apart from asking Sumika to abolish the schwester system if she becomes Lady Blume(and even then, she realizes Sumika won't do it). She isn't half as bad as Goeido.

joined Mar 15, 2015

I read Volume 7. There was a lot of angst, but I suppose that's to be expected when Mitsuki confesses before she or Hime have had a chance to deal with their primary personality flaws.

As for Kanoko being a "bitch," while it wasn't very nice of her to hit Mitsuki during their conversation after Mitsuki said she was "special" to Hime, Kanoko did raise some legitimate points about how it was wrong for Mitsuki to confess without considering the effect it would have on Hime(and I say this as someone who identifies with Mitsuki) and later apologized for hitting Mitsuki. It says a lot about the emotional complexity of this work that jealousy isn't the sole reason for conflict between Mitsuki and Kanoko, and it's slightly reminiscent of Yuu's relationship with Sayaka in Bloom Into You.

Edit: February 8, 2022(the release date for Volume 8) can't come soon enough. Let's hope it doesn't get delayed.

last edited at Jul 30, 2021 9:10PM

joined Nov 27, 2016

To anyone that kept up with this, does anything happen with Sumika and Kanoko beyond just friendship or no?

joined Mar 15, 2015

To anyone that kept up with this, does anything happen with Sumika and Kanoko beyond just friendship or no?

At this point, it's too early to tell.

Kanoko and Sumika become schwestern in Volume 4, but Kanoko still seems to have her unrequited and unconfessed crush on Hime(resulting in jealousy-induced hostility toward Mitsuki). That said, in Volume 8, Kanoko does get Mitsuki to be honest with Hime, thereby convincing Hime not to quit Liebe. As a result, both Hime and Mitsuki accept that Hime doesn't return Mitsuki's feelings(although there are more than a few hints that Hime is starting to fall for Mitsuki, even if she doesn't understand it yet).

Volume 9's cover shows Sumika and Kanoko, so perhaps we'll get another arc about them now that the latest Hime/Mitsuki arc has concluded.

Does anyone know how many volumes of the series have been released in the original Japanese? I thought Volume 8 was near the end of the series, but apparently not.

To reply you must either login or sign up.