Forum › Posts by blatant_harvester

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

I sort of love the empress? Usually the "clueless" character is clueless because they're just dumb, but she's clearly quite clever, just good at hiding it. Concluding that the emperor might be impotent, and so trying to help by ordering special food is really subtle and actually kinda sweet.

I also like that she's secretly an author. I wonder if the work, like its reference, is also yuri? Could be nice foreshadowing that she's into that sort of thing, along with not batting an eye at the scroll.

In case the T/N is too small to read, the reference is to this one: https://dynasty-scans.com/series/childhood_sweetheart_liaoliao

blatant_harvester
J<->M discussion 10 Sep 21:53
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

The whole "oh he secretly likes her" thing is just... not funny. Or lighthearted. I've been in too many domestic abuse situations (on the receiving end and as a witness) to ever find "he does it because he likes you" tolerable. I remember liking Ranma 1/2 quite a lot, but the constant Akane-hits-Ranma "comedy" is what keeps me from ever revisiting it, or series like it...

That said, as of right now, it seems to be just the ideas of someone with 20+-years outdated view, who also grew up not knowing much more than just killings.

last edited at Sep 10, 2023 10:51PM

Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

Guess I'm a bit hypersensitive today, cause I found this one a bit irritating. The idea that a straight girl has to be concerned about being closed in with a group of lesbians triggers me a little. It's like suggesting that lesbians are predators constantly on the hunt for fresh prey and will pounce when she wanders into range (never-mind that one did), even if just for comic effect. It felt unpleasant.

Its just two pages you should just relax.

...also, at least the train has good fire exit protocols.

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

...why does the title seem to be a complete opposite of the oneshot its apparently a serialization of?

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

Another ero-mangaka who don't see the problem of depicting a rape scene. They always resort to some shady way to force a character to have sex with another.
It's not romantic, not sexy and aside perpetuating the rape culture the only thing I feel in front of these scenes is awkwardness.

That's why it's an one-shot for a themed anthology.

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

Aleast use the door for a nice trip anyway.

Sounds like its one-way though, makes it hard to go back.

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

Yurihime try not to axe series that have themes of polyamory challenge (impossible)

Lol, this to me feels more of a "trainwreck averted" though.

And also hilarious that this is the story of an almost-trainwreck that ends by skipping over an actual successful romance.

Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

Pretty much the same vibes as "And Thus I Was Picked Up By My Boss's Daughter".

Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

browsing the f:yuri tag safely is something little me would have loved.

I remember trying to read some spicy Yuri only to find out every threesome with a guy is labeled as Yuri.

still is that way in some places.

This is why I quickly learned that the true yuri tag was f:females only.

yep.

Problem of labeling the whole work vs individual images. Have fun looking for the one yuri image in this very not-yuri comic.

Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

Aya really did pull a "jokes on her I was just pretending" huh

Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

Hopefully the misunderstanding clears up, I am not prepared for angst T_T
ty for the chapter <3

Considering the series, likely to be intentional.

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

I'm really hoping it stays as far away from actual romance and we get something like 2beya instead.

2beya=Futaribeya, which has romance in everything EXCEPT the main story?

Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

This mom has no redeeming qualities and she's a terrible parent :/ Hope this ends well (preferably with her having a black eye, jfc)

I mean, I can’t say I disagree. To be fair, though, I probably would’ve reacted the same way she did to the phone call if someone were to start one like that. Especially in light of all the maddening phone scams that keep going around.

Plus She didn't say who she was at the start of the conversation.
I would had done the same tbh.

Yeah, this really seems like this should be a in-person discussion.

Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

lol the waitress... "get married already"

Right. But for the wrong reasons.

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

Not a fan of Oni being translated as Ogre (personal pet peeve, lol), but otherwise this looks great!

Gotta say I'm with you there. Ogres and Oni are not the same thing. Let me put it this way: If I was reading a Western fantasy book written in English, with a Japanese setting, and it had Oni, they'd call them Oni. I know because I've read several such and that's what they do.
For that matter, I've read at least one manga that did have at least one ogre girl who was in fact a Western ogre (along with an elf girl, an orc girl, a werewolf girl etc) so when I saw "Ogre girl" I was glumly expecting an actual ogre girl.

Ogre is the closest Western mythological analogue, though, and while depictions of either aren't exactly what you'd call rigorously consistent they share a lot of traits and themes.

Another question entirely is why the term should be translated in the first place. Basically anyone who's had any meaningful amount of contact with Japanese popular culture knows what it means after all...

To add to that, the backstory here is based on Japanese mythology (Shuten-douji), its set in Japan, the character names are Japanese...so should've been fine keeping the Japanese term.

EDIT: Wait, that's the official translation, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

last edited at Nov 25, 2021 8:27PM

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

That's a Hachishaku-sama (lit. "Eight-foot-tall woman"), from the Japanese urban folklore.

https://para.wiki/w/Hachishaku-sama

last edited at Oct 11, 2021 2:26PM

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

Oh lord, I only just noticed the Pixiv tags on this

#呼びに来た先生ナイス - #Nice One, Teacher Who Came to Call Him
#ロッカー「何度でもどうぞ」- Locker: "You're welcome any time"
#D『ここから先はR指定だ』- D (as in Dante from the Devil May Cry series): "From the point onwards, it's R-rated"

Classic reader tag shenanigans.

last edited at Sep 13, 2021 3:24PM

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

Am I the only one who cringed at how "the bumping into someone I used to know in my past!" was? Also, did Yuina look a bit sad when she sent Wakana to catch up with Sara to anyone else?

That pretty much seemed like a setup, definitely not a coincidence- especially based on last chapter.

Also, just gonna have to wait for next chapter to see how honest Sara was being about having a boyfriend...

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

From checking on the raws...it's gonna end up a very stupid time loop, isn't it...

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

The senpai/kouhai manga posted on pixiv, however...is.

Link?

https://www.pixiv.net/user/14000716/series/280

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

so since there is not yuri tag there's no yuri in this one right? still gonna read it any way, I have too much extra time right now

Raws are tagged Yuri, so there might still be something happening in the future. The stuff currently released is subtext at most though, even in Japanese

Source for the raws? On Pixiv comics, there's no Yuri tag for this one.

The senpai/kouhai manga posted on pixiv, however...is.

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

I seriously was not expecting muscles girl to be that wholesome but it’s a nice surprise. This chapter is cements Ren and Ginno as best pair.

Well, she needs the muscles to carry the rest of the team...

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

That "All Stars" group is definitely getting carried HARD.

blatant_harvester
Snpl
joined Feb 16, 2013

Oneshot-that-should-be-a-series strikes again!